Brightness controls not working
  4 / 6    
I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver: 1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key. 2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". 3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. 4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again. Seems like a simple fix in the end!
I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver:

1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key.
2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia".
3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1.
4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again.

Seems like a simple fix in the end!

Posted 11/14/2012 04:15 PM   
Thanks for sharing that Poz! I also came back onto the forum as I've managed to get it working as well. However, I did something different to the reg edit. - Completely uninstall anything relating to nVidia from the control panel (you may have to reboot 2 - 3 times to make sure everything 'nVidia' is gone from here) - Download and install Driver Sweeper: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html - Run Driver Sweeper, and clear out anything relating to nVidia (think there's 3 items/check boxes for various nVidia stuff) - Reboot once more after clearing. - I then downloaded and installed 306.97 (which was the newest one at the time). - Controls work fine, games play fine, videos and youtube all works fine. So far so good, 2 days with no issues :3
Thanks for sharing that Poz!

I also came back onto the forum as I've managed to get it working as well. However, I did something different to the reg edit.

- Completely uninstall anything relating to nVidia from the control panel (you may have to reboot 2 - 3 times to make sure everything 'nVidia' is gone from here)

- Download and install Driver Sweeper: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html

- Run Driver Sweeper, and clear out anything relating to nVidia (think there's 3 items/check boxes for various nVidia stuff)

- Reboot once more after clearing.

- I then downloaded and installed 306.97 (which was the newest one at the time).

- Controls work fine, games play fine, videos and youtube all works fine. So far so good, 2 days with no issues :3

Posted 11/15/2012 01:40 AM   
Hi Poz and Koovu, I've tried both your methods and unfortunately, I am still unable to get brightness controls fixed. As with the other users, brightness controls work with 296.10 and nothing else above that. My configuration is the mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" with Geforce 320m.
Hi Poz and Koovu,

I've tried both your methods and unfortunately, I am still unable to get brightness controls fixed. As with the other users, brightness controls work with 296.10 and nothing else above that.

My configuration is the mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" with Geforce 320m.

Posted 11/18/2012 03:52 PM   
Finally got it to work, yay! Thanks Poz3D and Koovu, none of your solutions worked for me by themselves but by doing both it did. Here's how I got the brightness control to work with driver 306.97 on MPB 2010 320m Win7 Pro X64: 1. Uninstall everything nvidia-related in the control panel, all of it. Reeboot. 2. Run driver sweeper and remove everything nvidia. Reboot. 3. Install 306.97, reboot. Brightness control not working. Drivers for Coprocessor and SM Bus Controller missing since they were uninstalled in step 1. 4. Install Coprocessor and SM Bus Controller drivers (I used the driver CD that I made in OS X when I first installed Windows through bootcamp). Reboot. Still not working. 5. Follow Poz3D's instructions. Well shit, I can now for the first time since 285.62 watch youtube without the computer crashing and having a flashlight shining in my face.
Finally got it to work, yay! Thanks Poz3D and Koovu, none of your solutions worked for me by themselves but by doing both it did.

Here's how I got the brightness control to work with driver 306.97 on MPB 2010 320m Win7 Pro X64:

1. Uninstall everything nvidia-related in the control panel, all of it. Reeboot.
2. Run driver sweeper and remove everything nvidia. Reboot.
3. Install 306.97, reboot.

Brightness control not working. Drivers for Coprocessor and SM Bus Controller missing since they were uninstalled in step 1.

4. Install Coprocessor and SM Bus Controller drivers (I used the driver CD that I made in OS X when I first installed Windows through bootcamp). Reboot.

Still not working.

5. Follow Poz3D's instructions.

Well shit, I can now for the first time since 285.62 watch youtube without the computer crashing and having a flashlight shining in my face.

Posted 11/18/2012 05:19 PM   
Going to try this out now! Thanks so much!
Going to try this out now! Thanks so much!

Posted 11/21/2012 01:44 AM   
No luck here on mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" with Geforce 320 rolling back.... :(
No luck here on mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" with Geforce 320 rolling back.... :(

Posted 11/21/2012 02:36 AM   
Not sure if this helps but EnableBrightnessControl set as 1 was already found in my registry... Just for good measure I deleted and re-created the dword... Still no luck though. NVIDIA PLEASE FIX! Really thought Poz3D's instructions were going to be my saving grace :(
Not sure if this helps but EnableBrightnessControl set as 1 was already found in my registry... Just for good measure I deleted and re-created the dword... Still no luck though. NVIDIA PLEASE FIX! Really thought Poz3D's instructions were going to be my saving grace :(

Posted 11/21/2012 03:33 PM   
Just wanted to confirm this problem. I have a 13" 2010 MBP running OS X 10.6 and windows 7. Brightness error is still occurring on the latest build of the update (310.61). Reverting to 285.62 now. All I wanted was smoother gameplay :(
Just wanted to confirm this problem. I have a 13" 2010 MBP running OS X 10.6 and windows 7. Brightness error is still occurring on the latest build of the update (310.61). Reverting to 285.62 now. All I wanted was smoother gameplay :(

Posted 11/24/2012 03:34 AM   
[quote="Poz3D"]I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver: 1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key. 2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". 3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. 4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again. Seems like a simple fix in the end![/quote] First post but I would like to ask where you found the Nvidia registry adapter folder or the exact location of it? I found a bunch of them but when I added in a the DWORD, and restarted, I kept getting BSOD each time I tried pushing FN + F1. I have Windows 8 (64-bit) on a Macbook Pro 2010, Nvidia 320M with the latest drivers of 306.97 (Windows 8 version). The two folders that I felt was relevant was... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/Video/0000 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/Video/0001 Which both have the Nvidia...
Poz3D said:I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver:

1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key.
2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia".

First post but I would like to ask where you found the Nvidia registry adapter folder or the exact location of it? I found a bunch of them but when I added in a the DWORD, and restarted, I kept getting BSOD each time I tried pushing FN + F1.

I have Windows 8 (64-bit) on a Macbook Pro 2010, Nvidia 320M with the latest drivers of 306.97 (Windows 8 version).

The two folders that I felt was relevant was...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/Video/0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/Video/0001

Which both have the Nvidia...

Posted 12/01/2012 06:30 AM   
[quote="Poz3D"]I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver: 1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key. 2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". 3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. 4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again. Seems like a simple fix in the end![/quote] Works like a charm. I followed these steps using the 306.97 drivers. I no longer feel like I'm staring at a halogen lamp. My eyes feel better already! In case folks are wondering, the folder to which I added the DWORD was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000 Thanks Poz3D!
Poz3D said:I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver:

Works like a charm. I followed these steps using the 306.97 drivers. I no longer feel like I'm staring at a halogen lamp. My eyes feel better already!

In case folks are wondering, the folder to which I added the DWORD was:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

Thanks Poz3D!

Posted 12/01/2012 10:35 PM   
[quote="rhiz"][quote="Poz3D"]I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver: 1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key. 2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". 3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. 4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again. Seems like a simple fix in the end![/quote] Works like a charm. I followed these steps using the 306.97 drivers. I no longer feel like I'm staring at a halogen lamp. My eyes feel better already! In case folks are wondering, the folder to which I added the DWORD was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000 Thanks Poz3D![/quote] I actually found the registry and I created a DWORD of. I rebooted and lo and behold my screen was actually dimmed down. HOWEVER, when I tried pushing Fn+F1 or Fn+F2, my computer crashes with a BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER error. So I had to delete the DWORD. What is happening!?!!?
rhiz said:

Works like a charm. I followed these steps using the 306.97 drivers. I no longer feel like I'm staring at a halogen lamp. My eyes feel better already!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000

Thanks Poz3D!

I actually found the registry and I created a DWORD of. I rebooted and lo and behold my screen was actually dimmed down. HOWEVER, when I tried pushing Fn+F1 or Fn+F2, my computer crashes with a BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER error. So I had to delete the DWORD. What is happening!?!!?

Posted 12/02/2012 11:52 PM   
[quote="yoman1234"][quote="rhiz"][quote="Poz3D"]I was getting tired of waiting for a fix for this so I had a look at the driver files and found a solution for the brightness control problem. The following steps fixed brightness control on my MacBook (9400M, Win 8) with the 310.54 driver: 1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key. 2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia". 3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1. 4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again. Seems like a simple fix in the end![/quote] Works like a charm. I followed these steps using the 306.97 drivers. I no longer feel like I'm staring at a halogen lamp. My eyes feel better already! In case folks are wondering, the folder to which I added the DWORD was: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000 Thanks Poz3D![/quote] I actually found the registry and I created a DWORD of. I rebooted and lo and behold my screen was actually dimmed down. HOWEVER, when I tried pushing Fn+F1 or Fn+F2, my computer crashes with a BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER error. So I had to delete the DWORD. What is happening!?!!?[/quote] same exact issue here, in fact as soon as boot camp loads i BSOD. But i can control the brightness, via slider. But as soon as i touch the keys... BSOD! Hoping i can find an easy fix, otherwise ill have to safemode and delete the key entry. Im on 306.9 btw. Any help would be appreciated, likewise anything i find ill be sure to post back here asap. Not a complete fix yet. edit. Something i found on apple forums... [i][b]I found a solution to my Bootcamp issue. My windows 8 install would crash once I tried changing the screen brightness either using the keyboard keys or trying to open up the bootcamp control panel. So I disabled the Generic PnP Monitor driver and I haven't had any issues since. I also put the Bootcamp.exe in windows 7 compatibility mode just in case. Edit: I also had the MacHALDriver.sys issue. This fixed it for me. [/b][/i] JonnFromVa Source https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4466080?start=15&tstart=0 Apparently just simply disabling Generic PnP Monitor = fix Login via safemode or you will crash before you even make it to device manager. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE THE FIX YET! [b][b]BEFORE YOU ADD REG KEY, GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, DISABLE GENERIC PnP Monitor, Then Proceed with Poz3D's/Yoman1234's solution[/b][/b] TY ALL SEEMS LIKE ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED. 100%! My eyeballs can now recover from 3 weeks of 100% brightness while working at night.
yoman1234 said:
rhiz said:

Thanks Poz3D!

I actually found the registry and I created a DWORD of. I rebooted and lo and behold my screen was actually dimmed down. HOWEVER, when I tried pushing Fn+F1 or Fn+F2, my computer crashes with a BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER error. So I had to delete the DWORD. What is happening!?!!?

same exact issue here, in fact as soon as boot camp loads i BSOD.

But i can control the brightness, via slider. But as soon as i touch the keys... BSOD!

Hoping i can find an easy fix, otherwise ill have to safemode and delete the key entry.

Im on 306.9 btw. Any help would be appreciated, likewise anything i find ill be sure to post back here asap. Not a complete fix yet.

edit.
Something i found on apple forums...

I found a solution to my Bootcamp issue. My windows 8 install would crash once I tried changing the screen brightness either using the keyboard keys or trying to open up the bootcamp control panel. So I disabled the Generic PnP Monitor driver and I haven't had any issues since. I also put the Bootcamp.exe in windows 7 compatibility mode just in case. Edit: I also had the MacHALDriver.sys issue. This fixed it for me.
JonnFromVa
Source
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4466080?start=15&tstart=0

Apparently just simply disabling Generic PnP Monitor = fix

Login via safemode or you will crash before you even make it to device manager.

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE THE FIX YET!
BEFORE YOU ADD REG KEY, GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, DISABLE GENERIC PnP Monitor, Then Proceed with Poz3D's/Yoman1234's solution

TY ALL SEEMS LIKE ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED. 100%! My eyeballs can now recover from 3 weeks of 100% brightness while working at night.

Posted 12/03/2012 01:31 AM   
[quote="Andrefrbk"] Apparently just simply disabling Generic PnP Monitor = fix Login via safemode or you will crash before you even make it to device manager. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE THE FIX YET! [b][b]BEFORE YOU ADD REG KEY, GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, DISABLE GENERIC PnP Monitor, Then Proceed with Poz3D's/Yoman1234's solution[/b][/b] TY ALL SEEMS LIKE ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED. 100%! My eyeballs can now recover from 3 weeks of 100% brightness while working at night. [/quote] Whoa sweet mother of... I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! Everything works when I disabled that PnP driver! In fact disabling that now allowed me to see that window of brightness/sound/etc. controls on my screen like back when I had Windows 7! I have been tackling with non-stop issues since I upgraded to Windows 8 for the last week. Although unrelated, I also felt the need to share how to solve Trackpad issues when one upgrades to W8... These steps worked for me: http://ariel4ever.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/mengaktifkan-apple-multi-trackpad-pada-windows-8/
Andrefrbk said:

BEFORE YOU ADD REG KEY, GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, DISABLE GENERIC PnP Monitor, Then Proceed with Poz3D's/Yoman1234's solution

TY ALL SEEMS LIKE ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED. 100%! My eyeballs can now recover from 3 weeks of 100% brightness while working at night.

Whoa sweet mother of... I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! Everything works when I disabled that PnP driver! In fact disabling that now allowed me to see that window of brightness/sound/etc. controls on my screen like back when I had Windows 7!

I have been tackling with non-stop issues since I upgraded to Windows 8 for the last week.

Although unrelated, I also felt the need to share how to solve Trackpad issues when one upgrades to W8... These steps worked for me: http://ariel4ever.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/mengaktifkan-apple-multi-trackpad-pada-windows-8/

Posted 12/03/2012 03:11 AM   
[quote="yoman1234"][quote="Andrefrbk"] Apparently just simply disabling Generic PnP Monitor = fix Login via safemode or you will crash before you even make it to device manager. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE THE FIX YET! [b][b]BEFORE YOU ADD REG KEY, GO TO DEVICE MANAGER, DISABLE GENERIC PnP Monitor, Then Proceed with Poz3D's/Yoman1234's solution[/b][/b] TY ALL SEEMS LIKE ISSUES HAVE BEEN FIXED. 100%! My eyeballs can now recover from 3 weeks of 100% brightness while working at night. [/quote] Whoa sweet mother of... I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! Everything works when I disabled that PnP driver! In fact disabling that now allowed me to see that window of brightness/sound/etc. controls on my screen like back when I had Windows 7! I have been tackling with non-stop issues since I upgraded to Windows 8 for the last week. Although unrelated, I also felt the need to share how to solve Trackpad issues when one upgrades to W8... These steps worked for me: http://ariel4ever.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/mengaktifkan-apple-multi-trackpad-pada-windows-8/[/quote] Well track pad issues are super easy to fix, in fact you dont even have to do anything... Just install trackpad++ I have no issues with my install, benchmarks are great, no errors, i just lacked brightness control. Here is the link make sure you install power plan first. http://trackpad.powerplan7.com/downloads.htm Install both you will have gestures, and no problems. Its updated every week too.
yoman1234 said:
Andrefrbk said:

Whoa sweet mother of... I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! Everything works when I disabled that PnP driver! In fact disabling that now allowed me to see that window of brightness/sound/etc. controls on my screen like back when I had Windows 7!

I have been tackling with non-stop issues since I upgraded to Windows 8 for the last week.

Although unrelated, I also felt the need to share how to solve Trackpad issues when one upgrades to W8... These steps worked for me: http://ariel4ever.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/mengaktifkan-apple-multi-trackpad-pada-windows-8/

Well track pad issues are super easy to fix, in fact you dont even have to do anything... Just install trackpad++

I have no issues with my install, benchmarks are great, no errors, i just lacked brightness control.
Here is the link make sure you install power plan first.

http://trackpad.powerplan7.com/downloads.htm

Install both you will have gestures, and no problems. Its updated every week too.

Posted 12/03/2012 06:44 AM   
Hello all, sorry to open this discussion again, but I've some troubles... My laptop (asus rog g53jw) has a geforce 460m and Windows 8 pro 64-bit. Everything worked fine since the latest whql nvidia drivers (306.97). However when I tried to install beta drivers such as 310.77 (you know, far cry 3...), the brightness trouble showed up. I have no control on brightness at all. I've tried the solution you mentioned before, with no success unfortunately. The register key is present, i can delete and create it again, but won't work. I've disabled the monitor, but brightness won't work. So, I'm out of ideas and sincerely, despite the fact I know how to work with the registry, I'm looking forward for an "official solution". Just for information, I have removed any third part software managing with screen options (i had power4gear from asus, but now is not installed, and the problem was present before and after the uninstallation). Hope with the next whql everything will work fine, right now I must use 306.97 to avoid troubles. If someone can help me, i will appreciate a lot :D Regards
Hello all, sorry to open this discussion again, but I've some troubles...
My laptop (asus rog g53jw) has a geforce 460m and Windows 8 pro 64-bit. Everything worked fine since the latest whql nvidia drivers (306.97). However when I tried to install beta drivers such as 310.77 (you know, far cry 3...), the brightness trouble showed up.
I have no control on brightness at all.
I've tried the solution you mentioned before, with no success unfortunately. The register key is present, i can delete and create it again, but won't work. I've disabled the monitor, but brightness won't work. So, I'm out of ideas and sincerely, despite the fact I know how to work with the registry, I'm looking forward for an "official solution".

Just for information, I have removed any third part software managing with screen options (i had power4gear from asus, but now is not installed, and the problem was present before and after the uninstallation).

Hope with the next whql everything will work fine, right now I must use 306.97 to avoid troubles.

If someone can help me, i will appreciate a lot :D

Regards

Posted 12/07/2012 12:38 PM   
  4 / 6    
Scroll To Top