Sli 580 or not for 3d vision
Hello everyone,

need a bit of advice.

I ordered a new monitor (Acer HN274Hbmiiid) to be able to switch from regular gaming/movies to 3d.

here's my system now;
Int Core i5-2500
Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX2
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) P67
WD 500GB WD5000AADS Green
D3 8GB 1333-999 BlDrag K2 GEIL
GiBy1.5 D5 X GTX580 SOC R

I'm now uncertain that the 1 GTX580 isn't enough to be able to render the more recent games in 3d.
Battlefield 3, guild wars 2, prototype 2, ...

would it be wise to upgrade to SLI (probably need to upgrade my PSU too i guess)?
Hello everyone,

need a bit of advice.

I ordered a new monitor (Acer HN274Hbmiiid) to be able to switch from regular gaming/movies to 3d.

here's my system now;

Int Core i5-2500

Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX2

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) P67

WD 500GB WD5000AADS Green

D3 8GB 1333-999 BlDrag K2 GEIL

GiBy1.5 D5 X GTX580 SOC R

I'm now uncertain that the 1 GTX580 isn't enough to be able to render the more recent games in 3d.

Battlefield 3, guild wars 2, prototype 2, ...

would it be wise to upgrade to SLI (probably need to upgrade my PSU too i guess)?

Posted 04/25/2012 11:21 AM   
The extra rendering load that 3D creates will really require you lower some settings to use 3D effectively on one GPU.

The issue you run into with very high settings is that you can hit the 1.5gb VRAM limit on the GPUs. Many folks opt for the 3GB versions of the GTX580 (which is not SLI-able with the 1.5GB version)

So while an extra GPU will help with some degree with doubled rendering power, you may still well hit the lowish vram limit with very high settings.

The extra rendering load that 3D creates will really require you lower some settings to use 3D effectively on one GPU.

The issue you run into with very high settings is that you can hit the 1.5gb VRAM limit on the GPUs. Many folks opt for the 3GB versions of the GTX580 (which is not SLI-able with the 1.5GB version)

So while an extra GPU will help with some degree with doubled rendering power, you may still well hit the lowish vram limit with very high settings.

So I should eventually upgrade my system with SLI GTX 580 3Gb to get optimal results?
So I should eventually upgrade my system with SLI GTX 580 3Gb to get optimal results?

Posted 04/26/2012 04:53 AM   
If you wish to have ALL the eye-candy and 3D in the most visually intense games, you need something with atleast 2GB VRAM.

That said I have 2x 1.5GB GTX580s and used to have 3D Vision. It ran everything fine with a few settings turned down (AA etc)
If you wish to have ALL the eye-candy and 3D in the most visually intense games, you need something with atleast 2GB VRAM.

That said I have 2x 1.5GB GTX580s and used to have 3D Vision. It ran everything fine with a few settings turned down (AA etc)
Thanks for the advice Raptor.
Will see how it all turns out when i get the monitor and get some testing done.
Thanks for the advice Raptor.

Will see how it all turns out when i get the monitor and get some testing done.

Posted 04/26/2012 05:31 AM   
Tested an hour play of skyrim and i still need some adjusting to the 3d effect, but everything looks smooth and nice.

my main idea is to have a nice desktop to be able to play diablo 3 and guild wars 2.

D3 doesn't seem too demanding since i've already checked out how it plays in beta last weekend.
since tommorow I'm also checking out GW2, I hope I'll get some info on that and hopefully be able to play those 2 maxed out in 3d (GW2 looks allot more demanding than D3 though so hope i'm not being too hopefull)

anyone allready in closed beta having some experiences?
Tested an hour play of skyrim and i still need some adjusting to the 3d effect, but everything looks smooth and nice.

my main idea is to have a nice desktop to be able to play diablo 3 and guild wars 2.

D3 doesn't seem too demanding since i've already checked out how it plays in beta last weekend.

since tommorow I'm also checking out GW2, I hope I'll get some info on that and hopefully be able to play those 2 maxed out in 3d (GW2 looks allot more demanding than D3 though so hope i'm not being too hopefull)

anyone allready in closed beta having some experiences?

Posted 04/27/2012 03:59 PM   
yeah a lot of "top-down" view games aren't quite as intense on gpu's until you get a lot of characters/units on screen. Of course, lots of characters on screen can also really work out people's CPU's too.

I too have wondered about the limits of VRAM. I'd imagine there aren't too many applications out there that can hit the limit, but there are apparently some, eh Raptor?
yeah a lot of "top-down" view games aren't quite as intense on gpu's until you get a lot of characters/units on screen. Of course, lots of characters on screen can also really work out people's CPU's too.

I too have wondered about the limits of VRAM. I'd imagine there aren't too many applications out there that can hit the limit, but there are apparently some, eh Raptor?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz // Asus M4n98TD EVO BIOS ver. 1101 // 16GB DDR3 (4x4GB) @ 1333mhz // 500GB+250GB+120GB hard drives // GTX 460 786MB // PC Power n Cooling MKII Silencer 950W power supply // Antec 300 case // 19" westinghouse 1440x900 + lcd 19" 1280x1024 // win7 home prem sp1 64bit
Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. - Proverbs 4:7
http://www.truthaboutdeath.com/
http://www.sabbathtruth.com/

Posted 05/02/2012 06:21 PM   
Scroll To Top