GT 230 Driver problem PC not starting correctly and showing strange line colors
Hello, I was using my computer when suddenly it froze and showed strange horizontal lines in the screen, as it was unresponsive i shut down the pc, when i turned it on, it froze on
Starting Windows, with vertical green lines on all the screen, turning it on again it sent me to Startup Repair, the process finished and i was able to login this time, but the lines were still showing, I installed the graphic drivers again, rebooted but the problem didnt solve, but now im almost unable to use Windows without the Safe Mode, I have tried switching the VGA cable and the HDMI, but nothing.
What could it be? Help please
My PC:
Hp Pavilion Elite e9260f
i5 quadcore processor 2.57
Nvidia GeForce GT230 1.5GB
8GB RAM DDR3
1TB HDD
Hello, I was using my computer when suddenly it froze and showed strange horizontal lines in the screen, as it was unresponsive i shut down the pc, when i turned it on, it froze on

Starting Windows, with vertical green lines on all the screen, turning it on again it sent me to Startup Repair, the process finished and i was able to login this time, but the lines were still showing, I installed the graphic drivers again, rebooted but the problem didnt solve, but now im almost unable to use Windows without the Safe Mode, I have tried switching the VGA cable and the HDMI, but nothing.

What could it be? Help please

My PC:

Hp Pavilion Elite e9260f

i5 quadcore processor 2.57

Nvidia GeForce GT230 1.5GB

8GB RAM DDR3

1TB HDD

Posted 04/25/2012 03:31 AM   
Do you overclock? Sounds like a bad card (GPU) unfortunately.

Run checkdisk with full surface scan see if that helps.
Do you overclock? Sounds like a bad card (GPU) unfortunately.

Run checkdisk with full surface scan see if that helps.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/25/2012 03:35 AM   
No i don't do overclocking, and I haven't installed any other hardware, I already made checkdisk, mo errors, and the card isn't that bad, it's just pretty old :P, it's DDR2 btw.
No i don't do overclocking, and I haven't installed any other hardware, I already made checkdisk, mo errors, and the card isn't that bad, it's just pretty old :P, it's DDR2 btw.

Posted 04/25/2012 05:31 AM   
You can try a system restore to a time when it was working. If that does not help probably bad video card. You can plug in an external monitor to try to rule-out the built-in display.
You can try a system restore to a time when it was working. If that does not help probably bad video card. You can plug in an external monitor to try to rule-out the built-in display.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/25/2012 06:32 AM   
[quote name='HollywoodPCRepair' date='25 April 2012 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1335335531' post='1400685']
[/quote]

I did both options you told me, none of them worked, I'm thinking that the video card probably burnt. Could it be?
[quote name='HollywoodPCRepair' date='25 April 2012 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1335335531' post='1400685']

I did both options you told me, none of them worked, I'm thinking that the video card probably burnt. Could it be?

Posted 04/25/2012 10:33 PM   
I have a new dell pretty much with the same 1TB, 8GB, latest greatest only 8 months old. It did the same thing screen went black and we called Dell thinking they were the problem. After 10 days of screaming at Dell from India, a new harddrive and mother board was sent by Dell, service tech asked "Is that a Dell video Card? I think that is what causing problem. We removed the GT Force and proceeded to install the new components. I know what your thinking.... That was the problem! Nope I tried the VC again and it did the same thing works for 5-6 minutes than goes black.After I removed GeFVC, computer has been working great ever since. I use this in my office only for an additional monitor. No gaming nothing. It's been a great VC and I would like to see if it is worth getting it repaired or even if it is possible.
I have a new dell pretty much with the same 1TB, 8GB, latest greatest only 8 months old. It did the same thing screen went black and we called Dell thinking they were the problem. After 10 days of screaming at Dell from India, a new harddrive and mother board was sent by Dell, service tech asked "Is that a Dell video Card? I think that is what causing problem. We removed the GT Force and proceeded to install the new components. I know what your thinking.... That was the problem! Nope I tried the VC again and it did the same thing works for 5-6 minutes than goes black.After I removed GeFVC, computer has been working great ever since. I use this in my office only for an additional monitor. No gaming nothing. It's been a great VC and I would like to see if it is worth getting it repaired or even if it is possible.

Posted 08/22/2014 05:31 PM   
If the 230 is less than 10months old, DELL should replace it for free. It should still have a Manufacturers Warranty otherwise. The cost of shipping it to and from would most likely be more than the card is worth as well. .
If the 230 is less than 10months old, DELL should replace it for free. It should still have a Manufacturers Warranty otherwise.

The cost of shipping it to and from would most likely be more than the card is worth as well.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""
Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

If the driver has an issue, don't be a fool, remove it.

Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Posted 08/22/2014 06:45 PM   
Scroll To Top