Asus GTX 680 help needed,
Hello all.

I am currently having problems with my shiny new GTX 680 and Im here looking for tips on how to solve them.

Before I start, I have used this setup for quite awhile with no problems at all.
Old setup
Mobo Asus p8p67 deluxe
Ram 4x2gb Crucial dimm ddr3
psu OCZ 650W
GPU MSI GTX 275
CPU Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz

The problems started when I installed the 680.

This is with a completely new installed windows 7, fresh as a summers breeze. everything working with all updates installed.
(with core drivers and 1600x1200 resolution)

Then I install Nvidia 301.10 drivers.

After the reboot, just before the loginscreen it showed a BSOD. and rebooted.
When I then try to run safe mode (with core drivers) all is well. this is repeatable every single time.

Then I get the tips to try beta drivers, so install the 301.25.

After the reboot, just before the loginscreen it showed a red screen. and rebooted.
When I then try to run safe mode (with core drivers) all is well. this is repeatable every single time.

I then think, maybe the mobo is busted up .

So I reinstall the MSI GTX 275 and it works like a charm right off the bat.

Then I figure, ah the motherboard has an old bios.

So I flash it and tries again
After the reboot, just before the loginscreen it showed a red screen. and rebooted. (sigh).

And now I'm at the end of my rope here, so I need a professional view on this. anything I have missed?
And i cant test it at a friends computer since a kind soul decided to kick in the windshield of my car yesterday.
Hello all.

I am currently having problems with my shiny new GTX 680 and Im here looking for tips on how to solve them.

Before I start, I have used this setup for quite awhile with no problems at all.

Old setup

Mobo Asus p8p67 deluxe

psu OCZ 650W

GPU MSI GTX 275

This is with a completely new installed windows 7, fresh as a summers breeze. everything working with all updates installed.

After the reboot, just before the loginscreen it showed a red screen. and rebooted.

After the reboot, just before the loginscreen it showed a red screen. and rebooted. (sigh).

And now I'm at the end of my rope here, so I need a professional view on this. anything I have missed?

And i cant test it at a friends computer since a kind soul decided to kick in the windshield of my car yesterday.

Posted 04/24/2012 04:10 PM   
Try it in a different PCI-E slot; try using the Molex to PCIE adapters that came with it, maybe one of your PCIE cables is bad. Reset motherboard BIOS to defaults.
Try it in a different PCI-E slot; try using the Molex to PCIE adapters that came with it, maybe one of your PCIE cables is bad. Reset motherboard BIOS to defaults.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/24/2012 05:06 PM   
Marcasite,

With the GeForce GTX 680 installed, boot into safe mode and uninstall the NVIDIA Drivers and delete C:\NVIDIA. Reboot (twice if prompted to reboot on the 1st booting) and install the 301.[b]24[/b] drivers from our <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us" target="_blank">Official Driver Download Page</a>.

If you continue to have issues, please update this thread.

Amorphous

[quote name='marcasite' date='24 April 2012 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1335283834' post='1400363']
Hello all.

Old setup
Mobo Asus p8p67 deluxe
psu OCZ 650W
GPU MSI GTX 275

[/quote]
Marcasite,

With the GeForce GTX 680 installed, boot into safe mode and uninstall the NVIDIA Drivers and delete C:\NVIDIA. Reboot (twice if prompted to reboot on the 1st booting) and install the 301.24 drivers from our <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us" target="_blank">Official Driver Download Page</a>.

If you continue to have issues, please update this thread.

Amorphous

[quote name='marcasite' date='24 April 2012 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1335283834' post='1400363']

Hello all.

Old setup

Mobo Asus p8p67 deluxe

psu OCZ 650W

GPU MSI GTX 275

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 04/24/2012 07:01 PM   
Ok, I tried to use another pci-e with no luck.

Then I used the molex to PCIE adapter and used it in conjunction with either of the other cables to route out any faulty lines and no luck on that either.

Latest step was the new procedure of uninstalling drivers in safe mode, rebooting, installing 301.24. This time no BSOD and no red screens just darkness where the login should be and eventually a automatic reboot rought 15 sconds later.

Im down to sacrificing poultry here. Im sure it could work :-)
Ok, I tried to use another pci-e with no luck.

Then I used the molex to PCIE adapter and used it in conjunction with either of the other cables to route out any faulty lines and no luck on that either.

Latest step was the new procedure of uninstalling drivers in safe mode, rebooting, installing 301.24. This time no BSOD and no red screens just darkness where the login should be and eventually a automatic reboot rought 15 sconds later.

Posted 04/24/2012 08:59 PM   
Did you ever overclock it (tell the truth) !
Did you ever overclock it (tell the truth) !

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/24/2012 09:00 PM   
If that's the case, then there may be a problem with your GeForce GTX 680. You may need to contact the NVIDIA partner that manufactured the card (e.g. EVGA, MSI, ASUS) for additional support.

Amorphous

[quote name='marcasite' date='24 April 2012 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1335301153' post='1400500']Latest step was the new procedure of uninstalling drivers in safe mode, rebooting, installing 301.24. This time no BSOD and no red screens just darkness where the login should be and eventually a automatic reboot rought 15 sconds later.

[/quote]
If that's the case, then there may be a problem with your GeForce GTX 680. You may need to contact the NVIDIA partner that manufactured the card (e.g. EVGA, MSI, ASUS) for additional support.

Amorphous

[quote name='marcasite' date='24 April 2012 - 01:59 PM' timestamp='1335301153' post='1400500']Latest step was the new procedure of uninstalling drivers in safe mode, rebooting, installing 301.24. This time no BSOD and no red screens just darkness where the login should be and eventually a automatic reboot rought 15 sconds later.

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 04/24/2012 10:30 PM   
I wish I had gotten that far so I could at least see it in some real action.
but alas no overclocking for me.

I'll contact Asus in this case then to see if there is a way to get this beast working without rma'ing it. its such a hazzle.

Thanks for all the help and time you put into it.
I wish I had gotten that far so I could at least see it in some real action.

but alas no overclocking for me.

I'll contact Asus in this case then to see if there is a way to get this beast working without rma'ing it. its such a hazzle.

Thanks for all the help and time you put into it.

Posted 04/25/2012 05:25 AM   
Hi,

If you have any programs that affect videocard as MSI Afterburner or ASUS Smart Doctor - remove them in safe mode and restart. Never ever install asus smart doctor.

Revert here if it helps
Hi,

If you have any programs that affect videocard as MSI Afterburner or ASUS Smart Doctor - remove them in safe mode and restart. Never ever install asus smart doctor.

Revert here if it helps

CPU: i7-2600 Sandy Bridge LGA 1155

VGA: ASUS ENGTX 570 Direct CU II

MOBO: GIGABYTE PH67-UD3

PSU: CHIEFTEC NITRO 85 Series (BPS-750C) (750W)

RAM: DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) KINGSTON CL9 (9-9-9-27) Kit of 2x2048

HDD: WD KS 7200 (16mb) S-ATA II 500GB Caviar Blue

HDD 2 USD: 1TB WD My Passport Essential SE 3.0 WDBACX0010BSL

CASE: XIGMATEK ASGARD II, 1 fan at the bottom

CPU cooling: SCYTHE MUGEN 2 Rev. B.

Display: 24' LG W2486L

Posted 05/03/2012 04:34 PM   
Not sure if this has been fixed yet but ever since I uninstalled all 3'rd party temperature/fan monitoring software (speedfan) I have never had this issue since. If you have anything running that monitors temps or fan speeds get rid of it and see if that helps.
Not sure if this has been fixed yet but ever since I uninstalled all 3'rd party temperature/fan monitoring software (speedfan) I have never had this issue since. If you have anything running that monitors temps or fan speeds get rid of it and see if that helps.

Posted 05/05/2012 02:16 PM   
I have the same problem.
Using a similar rig, EVGA GTX680 connected to a samsung 55" LED display.
To make a very very long story of changing cards and removing and installing drivers short, I eventually re-installed clean windows 7. I Can use safe mode, but under no circumstance (low res, etc.) use nvidia drivers: after the windows logo, the screen turns black and the TV reports "no signal" (checked every output except the displayport)
Windows is still working in the background- I can shut down the computer using the keyboard.

Any ideas or news anyone???
I have the same problem.

Using a similar rig, EVGA GTX680 connected to a samsung 55" LED display.

To make a very very long story of changing cards and removing and installing drivers short, I eventually re-installed clean windows 7. I Can use safe mode, but under no circumstance (low res, etc.) use nvidia drivers: after the windows logo, the screen turns black and the TV reports "no signal" (checked every output except the displayport)

Windows is still working in the background- I can shut down the computer using the keyboard.

Any ideas or news anyone???

Posted 05/05/2012 07:03 PM   
Hi Dave,

Uninstall nVidia drivers completely and run windows7 in normal mode. Windows will run on generic driver so it should work, but since you are in normal mode you will be able to check which programs might interrupt normal functionality (monitoring programs,antivirus). What resolution and refresh rate does your samsung 55 have? Maybe card goes our of sync which end up in signal lost. If you have other display - check it. It's not like I say that you card or display fails, but perhaps at this point 55" + nvidia gtx680 DRIVERS fail together (resoultion,refresh rate, etc.)

Good luck )
Hi Dave,

Uninstall nVidia drivers completely and run windows7 in normal mode. Windows will run on generic driver so it should work, but since you are in normal mode you will be able to check which programs might interrupt normal functionality (monitoring programs,antivirus). What resolution and refresh rate does your samsung 55 have? Maybe card goes our of sync which end up in signal lost. If you have other display - check it. It's not like I say that you card or display fails, but perhaps at this point 55" + nvidia gtx680 DRIVERS fail together (resoultion,refresh rate, etc.)

Good luck )

CPU: i7-2600 Sandy Bridge LGA 1155

VGA: ASUS ENGTX 570 Direct CU II

MOBO: GIGABYTE PH67-UD3

PSU: CHIEFTEC NITRO 85 Series (BPS-750C) (750W)

RAM: DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) KINGSTON CL9 (9-9-9-27) Kit of 2x2048

HDD: WD KS 7200 (16mb) S-ATA II 500GB Caviar Blue

HDD 2 USD: 1TB WD My Passport Essential SE 3.0 WDBACX0010BSL

CASE: XIGMATEK ASGARD II, 1 fan at the bottom

CPU cooling: SCYTHE MUGEN 2 Rev. B.

Display: 24' LG W2486L

Posted 05/06/2012 07:53 AM   
Last update for this thread:
I sent the card back to the retailer and now it has been replaced.

I was never told what was busted but the card was indeed not working properly, the new one worked immediately without hitches.

guess i was unlucky and got a bum ASUS card, anyway cheers and have a nice summer.
Last update for this thread:

I sent the card back to the retailer and now it has been replaced.

I was never told what was busted but the card was indeed not working properly, the new one worked immediately without hitches.

guess i was unlucky and got a bum ASUS card, anyway cheers and have a nice summer.

Posted 05/23/2012 04:04 AM   
@marcasite Glad everything worked out!
@marcasite Glad everything worked out!

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition / i7 4930k / 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaw Z / OCZ Agility 3 240GB / OCZ Agility 3 120GB / ASUS nVidia GTX680 (3-way SLI) / Powered by SilverStone Strider 1500w / Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Custom Water Cooling (Built with Koolance) - full system

Posted 05/24/2012 01:43 AM   
A quick update:
I tried everything, and nothing helped solving the black screen after windows startup problem.
Eventually, I decided to replace my old rig (Q6600, asus p5k-e motherboard) with asus Z77 board and 3770K cpu.
Installed win7, nvidia drivers and viola! everything works properly.
Apparently, this was a compatibility issue with the motherboard.
A quick update:

I tried everything, and nothing helped solving the black screen after windows startup problem.

Eventually, I decided to replace my old rig (Q6600, asus p5k-e motherboard) with asus Z77 board and 3770K cpu.

Installed win7, nvidia drivers and viola! everything works properly.

Apparently, this was a compatibility issue with the motherboard.

Posted 05/27/2012 05:59 PM   
Scroll To Top