Screen sleeps then on wake i see faint horizontal lines Display issue
Hi everyone,

I went on to buy a new case today thinking what i have was a ground loop issue, but i'm not so sure any more. My monitor shows artifacts after the display goes to sleep and resumes. The screen comes back on again as if it would do if you were to come out of sleep, but theres an artifact on the screen, there are faintly visible horizintal lines moving upwards theyre very faint but are apparent and cover the entire display. Which is even more confusing is that if i unplug the dvi cable out of the pc and plug it back in again the lines disappear. Yes they go away. If i turn the screen off instead the lines stay visible. i've tried repeating this over and over and it happens each time.

Is it the cable? No. I've tried two cables. One mini hdmi > Hdmi and one Dvi to Hdmi and both show the same issue.

After searching around on google there are a few people who mention that they see 'wavvy lines' while resuming back from sleep, yet i see nobody claiming they've worked out where these lines are coming from or why?

I moved all my pc parts into a new case today (haf x, nice case) - so i've basically reseated all components. I've tried resetting the bios. Using Windows 7 x64.

Would appreciate some help on this, hopefully somebody here has experienced the same and can reflect.
Hi everyone,

I went on to buy a new case today thinking what i have was a ground loop issue, but i'm not so sure any more. My monitor shows artifacts after the display goes to sleep and resumes. The screen comes back on again as if it would do if you were to come out of sleep, but theres an artifact on the screen, there are faintly visible horizintal lines moving upwards theyre very faint but are apparent and cover the entire display. Which is even more confusing is that if i unplug the dvi cable out of the pc and plug it back in again the lines disappear. Yes they go away. If i turn the screen off instead the lines stay visible. i've tried repeating this over and over and it happens each time.

Is it the cable? No. I've tried two cables. One mini hdmi > Hdmi and one Dvi to Hdmi and both show the same issue.

After searching around on google there are a few people who mention that they see 'wavvy lines' while resuming back from sleep, yet i see nobody claiming they've worked out where these lines are coming from or why?

I moved all my pc parts into a new case today (haf x, nice case) - so i've basically reseated all components. I've tried resetting the bios. Using Windows 7 x64.

Would appreciate some help on this, hopefully somebody here has experienced the same and can reflect.

Posted 04/24/2012 12:52 AM   
Which driver version?
Which driver version?

Posted 04/24/2012 01:07 AM   
Hi Xorbe, 296.10 official
Hi Xorbe, 296.10 official

Posted 04/24/2012 08:15 AM   
Yeah, I've seen this a couple of times myself. I reckon it must be driver related, but it's done it with more than one version. To be honest, though, it happens so rarely that I haven't even bothered to try to find out what it is.
Yeah, I've seen this a couple of times myself. I reckon it must be driver related, but it's done it with more than one version. To be honest, though, it happens so rarely that I haven't even bothered to try to find out what it is.

Core i5 4670K @ 4.3GHz with 4GHz uncore
Corsair H100 water cooler
8GB Patriot Viper DDR3 @ 2400MHz
Gigabyte Z87X-OC mobo
SLI eVGA GTX670 FTW (1227MHz boost 6800MHz VRAM)
Soundblaster Z with 5.1 speakers
112GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
240GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
Corsair Carbide 500R case (white)
Akasa PowerXtreme 1200W PSU
HP ZR2740W 2560 x 1440 27" IPS panel
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Posted 04/24/2012 12:52 PM   
I think I may of narrowed it down. This is what ive found.

If booting the pc at 59hz (default in the display settings) there are no lines apparent, if the display goes to sleep and awakes, the lines appear.

If booting the pc at 60hz, the same applies.

Once the display has been in sleep mode and come out of sleep results in scrolling lines. To remove them I can either unplug the display cable from the graphics card and plug it back in or / change the refresh rate to 60hz (note if the display is already at 60hz, changing the refresh to 59hz and back to 60hz also works).

If the Pc boots at 60hz, not letting the display sleep, so no artifacts, changing the refresh to 59hz causes the display to show scrolling lines, so now, not only does the display falling sleeping bring these artifacts, but changing the refresh rate to 59hz does aswell. Fix - changing the refresh to 60hz removes the artifacts. Better fix than unplugging the display cable each time.

Conclusion - something other than the display properties is telling my monitor to awake from standby at 59hz - causing the artifacts to show, even if the display properties remains set at 60hz.

Just to be clear about this, my display is a 42" Lg427000 model lcd tv with hdmi inputs and the display is running at 1080p.

Help?
I think I may of narrowed it down. This is what ive found.

If booting the pc at 59hz (default in the display settings) there are no lines apparent, if the display goes to sleep and awakes, the lines appear.

If booting the pc at 60hz, the same applies.

Once the display has been in sleep mode and come out of sleep results in scrolling lines. To remove them I can either unplug the display cable from the graphics card and plug it back in or / change the refresh rate to 60hz (note if the display is already at 60hz, changing the refresh to 59hz and back to 60hz also works).

If the Pc boots at 60hz, not letting the display sleep, so no artifacts, changing the refresh to 59hz causes the display to show scrolling lines, so now, not only does the display falling sleeping bring these artifacts, but changing the refresh rate to 59hz does aswell. Fix - changing the refresh to 60hz removes the artifacts. Better fix than unplugging the display cable each time.

Conclusion - something other than the display properties is telling my monitor to awake from standby at 59hz - causing the artifacts to show, even if the display properties remains set at 60hz.

Just to be clear about this, my display is a 42" Lg427000 model lcd tv with hdmi inputs and the display is running at 1080p.

Help?

Posted 04/25/2012 02:40 AM   
Scroll To Top