Nvidia GEforce 8500 - HDMI issues .. HEEEEELP ! Problem after Windows upgrade
Hello all! Just joined the forum !

A recent upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium has created a plethora of problems … or apparent problems.

My system is an HP Pavilion Media Center PC m8430f
(2008) with the following :

Motherboard – IBIBL-LB (Benicia)

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

Memory 4GB

Graphics – Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT

I have my PC connected to my Vizio big screen TV via HDMI cable, via an Onkyo home theater receiver.
( PC HDMI from Nvidia Geforce 8500 → Onkyo SR806 → Vizio XVT 553SV)

The receiver is configured as the central control center with the only connection to the TV being a single HDMI cable.

After the windows upgrade, the problem is this.

When I have the PC on AND the TV on regardless of input source to TV, once the HDMI handshake concludes something now either blanks out my PC monitor [black screen) or totally makes my desktop icons disappear with the desktop background wallpaper still visible. My mouse is still active but nothing on screen to click !! If you turn the TV off, it all comes back as it should be. YIKES !!!

At first I though that the OS upgrade had failed, but it turned out to be related to the graphics card/hdmi connection to my home theater equipment. I only discovered this after several hours of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my PC would not come back to life.

When my girlfriend shut the TV off ( I was working on PC at the time,) all the sudden my my PC monitor flickered several times ( again I think from handshake attempts) and then came alive to the screen where I enter registration key to the Windows 7 upgrade. Here all the time I thought the upgrade had failed somehow but its just that I couldn’t see anything on the screen due to ...whatever is going on with the HDMI connections.

I did update the Nvidia drivers to the latest version for my card but that didn’t help .

Prior to the upgrade, I had been cloning the monitor output (via Nvidia graphics control panel) to get my PC image AND audio (via HDMI) into my home theater receiver/TV. I know there are now numerous streaming options available, but this has worked great for 3 years now and should still work after the upgrade.

I am not well versed in this stuff by a long shot so any help on this would be greatly appreciated !!!!

A recent upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium has created a plethora of problems … or apparent problems.

Memory 4GB

I have my PC connected to my Vizio big screen TV via HDMI cable, via an Onkyo home theater receiver.

The receiver is configured as the central control center with the only connection to the TV being a single HDMI cable.

When I have the PC on AND the TV on regardless of input source to TV, once the HDMI handshake concludes something now either blanks out my PC monitor [black screen) or totally makes my desktop icons disappear with the desktop background wallpaper still visible. My mouse is still active but nothing on screen to click !! If you turn the TV off, it all comes back as it should be. YIKES !!!

At first I though that the OS upgrade had failed, but it turned out to be related to the graphics card/hdmi connection to my home theater equipment. I only discovered this after several hours of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my PC would not come back to life.

When my girlfriend shut the TV off ( I was working on PC at the time,) all the sudden my my PC monitor flickered several times ( again I think from handshake attempts) and then came alive to the screen where I enter registration key to the Windows 7 upgrade. Here all the time I thought the upgrade had failed somehow but its just that I couldn’t see anything on the screen due to ...whatever is going on with the HDMI connections.

I did update the Nvidia drivers to the latest version for my card but that didn’t help .

Prior to the upgrade, I had been cloning the monitor output (via Nvidia graphics control panel) to get my PC image AND audio (via HDMI) into my home theater receiver/TV. I know there are now numerous streaming options available, but this has worked great for 3 years now and should still work after the upgrade.

I am not well versed in this stuff by a long shot so any help on this would be greatly appreciated !!!!

Posted 04/24/2012 12:42 AM   
After hours of working on it, I was finally able to resolve this problem! Disregard post ! All is good, all is working!

[quote name='unclefestive' date='23 April 2012 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1335228133' post='1400103']

Memory 4GB

[/quote]
After hours of working on it, I was finally able to resolve this problem! Disregard post ! All is good, all is working!

[quote name='unclefestive' date='23 April 2012 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1335228133' post='1400103']

Memory 4GB

Posted 04/25/2012 08:56 PM   
Scroll To Top