GTX 560 Ti: Screen goes purple
I've been having an intermittent issue with my card. Usually this occurs when I start to play a video on Youtube or something. The screen shifts purple with some crazy lines. Sometimes it recovers about 5 seconds later and I get a message alert telling me there was an issue with the Kernel Mode or something and it was restarted. But, sometimes it locks my computer and I have to reboot. I got my GTX 560 Ti OC'd when shipped to me. Since then, I've gone back to the normal settings.

I included a picture of my screen when it's flipping out. Any advice appreciated!
I've been having an intermittent issue with my card. Usually this occurs when I start to play a video on Youtube or something. The screen shifts purple with some crazy lines. Sometimes it recovers about 5 seconds later and I get a message alert telling me there was an issue with the Kernel Mode or something and it was restarted. But, sometimes it locks my computer and I have to reboot. I got my GTX 560 Ti OC'd when shipped to me. Since then, I've gone back to the normal settings.

I included a picture of my screen when it's flipping out. Any advice appreciated!
Attachments

IMG_2050.JPG

Posted 04/23/2012 11:28 PM   
Sounds like physical damage to the card. You can run this test to check:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120416/furmark-1-10-0-download-gpu-stress-test-burn-in-opengl-benchmark-nvidia-geforce-gtx680-amd-radeon/

Look about 1/2 way down the page for this image, click it to download FurMark:

[img]http://www.geeks3d.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/img/download.gif[/img]
Sounds like physical damage to the card. You can run this test to check:

http://www.geeks3d.com/20120416/furmark-1-10-0-download-gpu-stress-test-burn-in-opengl-benchmark-nvidia-geforce-gtx680-amd-radeon/

Look about 1/2 way down the page for this image, click it to download FurMark:

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/23/2012 11:49 PM   
Okay I've used this before. What kind of test do I run? For how long?
Okay I've used this before. What kind of test do I run? For how long?

Posted 04/24/2012 12:57 AM   
You can run the User Benchmark, I think it starts at 6 minutes, you can take it down to 2 minutes and if anything fails it should tell you or it will be obvious. Probably will need to RMA the card; overclocking likely fried it.

Here's another one, it will either complete or complain with an error.

http://download.cnet.com/Video-Card-Stability-Test/3000-18512_4-10418474.html
You can run the User Benchmark, I think it starts at 6 minutes, you can take it down to 2 minutes and if anything fails it should tell you or it will be obvious. Probably will need to RMA the card; overclocking likely fried it.

Here's another one, it will either complete or complain with an error.

http://download.cnet.com/Video-Card-Stability-Test/3000-18512_4-10418474.html

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/24/2012 12:59 AM   
Could be the card's drivers. I've got a 560 Ti and had something similar. Don't know which drivers you're using but on my system 296.10 causes a pink/purple screen which locks up the computer, although 295.73 drivers are ok. Currently using 301.24 beta which have been fine so far.

Regards.

Len
Could be the card's drivers. I've got a 560 Ti and had something similar. Don't know which drivers you're using but on my system 296.10 causes a pink/purple screen which locks up the computer, although 295.73 drivers are ok. Currently using 301.24 beta which have been fine so far.

Regards.

Len

Posted 04/24/2012 06:31 PM   
I ran both of those burn in programs for a while with no issues. Must be the drivers then. Will try the beta you suggested lenfish. Thanks!
I ran both of those burn in programs for a while with no issues. Must be the drivers then. Will try the beta you suggested lenfish. Thanks!

Posted 04/24/2012 10:23 PM   
It's not the card.

It's the bloody drivers because Nvidia is currently in a competition to see who can make the ****tiest drivers possible.

Currently Nvidia is in the lead.

YAY GREEN!!!!
It's not the card.

It's the bloody drivers because Nvidia is currently in a competition to see who can make the ****tiest drivers possible.

YAY GREEN!!!!

Posted 04/25/2012 12:07 AM   
[quote name='jblackrupert' date='24 April 2012 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1335312422' post='1400567']
It's not the card.

YAY GREEN!!!!
[/quote]

I agree about the driver being the problem. My 560ti did the same purple screen today with the kernel error popup.
[quote name='jblackrupert' date='24 April 2012 - 08:07 PM' timestamp='1335312422' post='1400567']

It's not the card.

YAY GREEN!!!!

I agree about the driver being the problem. My 560ti did the same purple screen today with the kernel error popup.

Posted 04/25/2012 02:16 AM   
I bet my money on the drivers as well. I only get the purple/pink/green screen freezing with youtube (and once just surfing) but never when playing games or running stress tests where the gpu(s) usage is about 99%.
I bet my money on the drivers as well. I only get the purple/pink/green screen freezing with youtube (and once just surfing) but never when playing games or running stress tests where the gpu(s) usage is about 99%.

Posted 04/25/2012 06:39 AM   
To the OP: Try rolling your drivers back to the 290.36 drivers. Those are the latest ones I found that still work with 500 series cards. Drivers past that cause lockups and system freezes. Unfortunately NVIDIA doesn't seem to want to acknowledge this /verymad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':verymad:' />

Give it a try and let us know. It worked for me.
To the OP: Try rolling your drivers back to the 290.36 drivers. Those are the latest ones I found that still work with 500 series cards. Drivers past that cause lockups and system freezes. Unfortunately NVIDIA doesn't seem to want to acknowledge this /verymad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':verymad:' />

Give it a try and let us know. It worked for me.

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 Model: 01G-P3-1460-KR
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
MB: Asus Rampage Formula
RAM: 8GB OCZ
Displays: 2x Asus VH242 1920 x 1080
Sound: Onboard SoundMAX
PSU: 850watt Thermaltake

Posted 04/25/2012 07:40 PM   
I've been having the same issue with two different GTX 560 Ti cards in different computers. Both lock up randomly with a purple screen. This happens more often when watching videos, either on the web or with Media Player Classic, but can happen at other times as well. Sometimes the mouse cursor becomes hidden or corrupted, too. Pretty often, Windows dialog boxes will freeze for a second in the middle of zooming in or out.

I have tried running both computers on a lot of different driver versions, including betas, up to the latest 301.24 beta. The problems kept reoccurring until I went all the way back to 290.53 beta. That's the only driver version that hasn't caused any issues yet. On other drivers, I've had lock-ups at least once a day, but with 290.53, I haven't had a lock-up in two weeks.
I've been having the same issue with two different GTX 560 Ti cards in different computers. Both lock up randomly with a purple screen. This happens more often when watching videos, either on the web or with Media Player Classic, but can happen at other times as well. Sometimes the mouse cursor becomes hidden or corrupted, too. Pretty often, Windows dialog boxes will freeze for a second in the middle of zooming in or out.

I have tried running both computers on a lot of different driver versions, including betas, up to the latest 301.24 beta. The problems kept reoccurring until I went all the way back to 290.53 beta. That's the only driver version that hasn't caused any issues yet. On other drivers, I've had lock-ups at least once a day, but with 290.53, I haven't had a lock-up in two weeks.

Posted 04/29/2012 10:49 PM   
It happens to me also, when im on youtube, I dont get a message, and I have to restart my pc
gtx 560 EVGA

Have anyone used the new beta update 301.24 ?
It happens to me also, when im on youtube, I dont get a message, and I have to restart my pc

gtx 560 EVGA

Have anyone used the new beta update 301.24 ?

Posted 05/06/2012 09:41 AM   
Disabled Hardware Acceleration from Firefox and haven't had a single purple crash since.
Disabled Hardware Acceleration from Firefox and haven't had a single purple crash since.

Posted 06/03/2012 03:12 PM   
Still having corrupted mouse pointers and purple-screen crashes with both 301.24 beta and 301.42 WHQL. Google Chrome does not have a hardware acceleration option, so I can't turn that off. In any case, both issues can occur even if I don't have any browsers or video players running, the probability is just higher during video playback. Several times it's happened when a Java application was running (not a browser applet, a standard desktop app). Strangely, it's never happened while an actual D3D game was running.
Still having corrupted mouse pointers and purple-screen crashes with both 301.24 beta and 301.42 WHQL. Google Chrome does not have a hardware acceleration option, so I can't turn that off. In any case, both issues can occur even if I don't have any browsers or video players running, the probability is just higher during video playback. Several times it's happened when a Java application was running (not a browser applet, a standard desktop app). Strangely, it's never happened while an actual D3D game was running.

Posted 06/14/2012 04:31 PM   
Have the exact same issue on my 560Ti twin frozr, happened after I installed 296.10, had been fine previously.

Hardware accel in FF, youtube videos are the main culprits of setting it off, also sim city 4 seems to do it aswell. Seems to be something with 2D mode specifically as all 3d accel games are fine. I run rift all day most days and its without issue, ME3 has been fine, witcher 2 etc etc.

It is deffo a driver issue, had hoped newer drivers would fix it, and was just about to install 301.42, but you guys say it's more of the same or worse. Hope it gets sorted as it's a random timebomb waiting to go off at the best of times.
Have the exact same issue on my 560Ti twin frozr, happened after I installed 296.10, had been fine previously.

Hardware accel in FF, youtube videos are the main culprits of setting it off, also sim city 4 seems to do it aswell. Seems to be something with 2D mode specifically as all 3d accel games are fine. I run rift all day most days and its without issue, ME3 has been fine, witcher 2 etc etc.

It is deffo a driver issue, had hoped newer drivers would fix it, and was just about to install 301.42, but you guys say it's more of the same or worse. Hope it gets sorted as it's a random timebomb waiting to go off at the best of times.

Posted 06/16/2012 12:05 AM   
Scroll To Top