9600 & 6800 Cards both fail (blue screen) when drivers are installed, fine in safe mode My Nvidi
Hi,

My Nvidia 9600 card is suddenly not working.
It'll be fine in DOS / Windows start-up, but as soon as the Windows desktop appears, it locks up, blue screens and restarts.
It's fine if you load it up in safe mode.
Also, if you uninstall the drivers, it will boot up windows as per normal fine, but of course as soon as it goes to install the drivers again the problem re-occurs.

Now i would have normally assumed the card is knackered, however....
I have had this before!
My alienware laptop (few years old now) has the Geforce 6800 card in it and it's stuck in exactly the same scenario as the PC 9600 card!

So i'm thinking surely i'm not that unlucky to have 2 cards "die?" in the same way, surely many of you have experienced this before, and ultimately - I'm really hoping someone has found a fix !!!??

I eagerley await a very kind helpful person to point me in the right direction!

Many Thanks
Stu

I should add, that i have already searched for help on this issue but not yet managed to find anything related.

But please send me a link if someone else has already answered this.

Thanks
Hi,

My Nvidia 9600 card is suddenly not working.

It'll be fine in DOS / Windows start-up, but as soon as the Windows desktop appears, it locks up, blue screens and restarts.

It's fine if you load it up in safe mode.

Also, if you uninstall the drivers, it will boot up windows as per normal fine, but of course as soon as it goes to install the drivers again the problem re-occurs.

Now i would have normally assumed the card is knackered, however....

I have had this before!

My alienware laptop (few years old now) has the Geforce 6800 card in it and it's stuck in exactly the same scenario as the PC 9600 card!

So i'm thinking surely i'm not that unlucky to have 2 cards "die?" in the same way, surely many of you have experienced this before, and ultimately - I'm really hoping someone has found a fix !!!??

I eagerley await a very kind helpful person to point me in the right direction!

Many Thanks

Stu

I should add, that i have already searched for help on this issue but not yet managed to find anything related.

But please send me a link if someone else has already answered this.

Thanks

Posted 04/21/2012 11:08 AM   
In safe mode Windows uses a standard VGA driver without hardware acceleration. BSOD with Nvidia driver points to hardware failure. Try the video card in another machine, or purchase a new one.
In safe mode Windows uses a standard VGA driver without hardware acceleration. BSOD with Nvidia driver points to hardware failure. Try the video card in another machine, or purchase a new one.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 04/21/2012 09:52 PM   
Hi Tweakman,
Thanks for the reply, is it possible to run the cards with hardware acceleration disabled?
Just so that i can either use the card as a 2nd card for additional monitors, or at least still use my laptop (just without being able to play any games i assume, which is fine)

Cheers
Hi Tweakman,

Thanks for the reply, is it possible to run the cards with hardware acceleration disabled?

Just so that i can either use the card as a 2nd card for additional monitors, or at least still use my laptop (just without being able to play any games i assume, which is fine)

Cheers

Posted 04/22/2012 07:37 AM   
With Nvidia driver installed, press F8 before Windows boots and select "Disable automatic restart". Record the bugcheck message (e.g. write it down or take a picture of it) and post it here.
With Nvidia driver installed, press F8 before Windows boots and select "Disable automatic restart". Record the bugcheck message (e.g. write it down or take a picture of it) and post it here.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 04/23/2012 12:54 AM   
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Attached is a screenshot of the bluescreen error messages, you can also see the display output is rather blurry.
If you are able to suggest a fix for this then that would be really appreciated, if not i assume the card is dead.

Thanks
Stu
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Attached is a screenshot of the bluescreen error messages, you can also see the display output is rather blurry.

If you are able to suggest a fix for this then that would be really appreciated, if not i assume the card is dead.

Thanks

Stu

Posted 05/02/2012 07:48 PM   
That blue screen message (and screen corruption) is typically associated with broken hardware/video card.

The bugcheck code is related to Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). See the following post which helps troubleshoot TDRs in great detail:
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=100800"]The nvlddmkm error - What is it? An FYI for those seeing this issue[/url]
That blue screen message (and screen corruption) is typically associated with broken hardware/video card.

The bugcheck code is related to Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). See the following post which helps troubleshoot TDRs in great detail:

The nvlddmkm error - What is it? An FYI for those seeing this issue

Posted 05/03/2012 10:20 AM   
Scroll To Top