poor bf3 performance in SLI - slow downs when turning scenes
hello everyone. just got another 550 Ti for SLI (on sale for 80 bucks - i have no $ and have a relatively budget system). im a little disappoi9nted in the slow downs im experiencing. for exmaple - when i turn scenes, like from a side of a building to out open - i get drops of like 50 fps - 20 fps, and it actually seems WORSE with SLI than before. not sure why this is happening or if my settings are not the best for it. does anyone have any experience with the best settings for this game? my specs are below

in addition, monitoring it with afterburner shows that the GPU 1 and 2 usage is very very rarely at 100% comapred to previously - but i am getting these slowdowns a lot. not sure why. i do have power mangement set to maximum performacne by default in the NVCP. my bf3 settings are 16x anisotropic, 2xmsaa in nvcp but 4x in game, 3 prerendered frames, anisotropic sampling off, clamp negative LOD bias, adaptive vsync. in game settings are all ultra, ssao for ambient, 4xmsaa (which ill try 2x), motion blur off.

amy help appreciated. thanks!

i5 2500k stock
gigabyte z68apd3
2x 550 ti zotac
12 gb patriot 2 gamer 1333mhz
500 gb seagate 6gb/s
80 gb intel 320 ssd
hello everyone. just got another 550 Ti for SLI (on sale for 80 bucks - i have no $ and have a relatively budget system). im a little disappoi9nted in the slow downs im experiencing. for exmaple - when i turn scenes, like from a side of a building to out open - i get drops of like 50 fps - 20 fps, and it actually seems WORSE with SLI than before. not sure why this is happening or if my settings are not the best for it. does anyone have any experience with the best settings for this game? my specs are below

in addition, monitoring it with afterburner shows that the GPU 1 and 2 usage is very very rarely at 100% comapred to previously - but i am getting these slowdowns a lot. not sure why. i do have power mangement set to maximum performacne by default in the NVCP. my bf3 settings are 16x anisotropic, 2xmsaa in nvcp but 4x in game, 3 prerendered frames, anisotropic sampling off, clamp negative LOD bias, adaptive vsync. in game settings are all ultra, ssao for ambient, 4xmsaa (which ill try 2x), motion blur off.

amy help appreciated. thanks!

i5 2500k stock

gigabyte z68apd3

2x 550 ti zotac

12 gb patriot 2 gamer 1333mhz

500 gb seagate 6gb/s

80 gb intel 320 ssd

Posted 04/19/2012 09:33 PM   
Here is what I run with my GTX 560 SLI (non-ti) setup:

In Game options:
Ultra-custom. Start at Ultra and change MSAA to 0. Change Motion blur to OFF.
No MSAA! this is what is killing your performance by the way. The PostAA is the BF3 version of FXAA turn that to High. No blur.

In the control panel:
I messed with a lot of stuff but ended up being very simple. Restore to default profile and change the pre-rendered frames to 2 for a better response feel in game. Apply adaptive vsync to keep you cards under control in between rounds. That's it! The texture filter options may help, I think there was a slight performance boost changing the Texture filter-quality to performance and trilinear optimization on, but I could see the quality difference.

All in all, it's probably just the MSAA that is screwing with you. Go back to stock settings, turn MSAA off, and enjoy!

I don't know the capabilities of the 550ti and ultra may be a bit much for them. I would first start by reduding textures to high, then terrain decoration, then terrain detail, one at a time. The shadows in ultra are the best part of ultra to me though. This is at 1920x 1080 right?

In Game options:

No MSAA! this is what is killing your performance by the way. The PostAA is the BF3 version of FXAA turn that to High. No blur.

In the control panel:

I messed with a lot of stuff but ended up being very simple. Restore to default profile and change the pre-rendered frames to 2 for a better response feel in game. Apply adaptive vsync to keep you cards under control in between rounds. That's it! The texture filter options may help, I think there was a slight performance boost changing the Texture filter-quality to performance and trilinear optimization on, but I could see the quality difference.

All in all, it's probably just the MSAA that is screwing with you. Go back to stock settings, turn MSAA off, and enjoy!

I don't know the capabilities of the 550ti and ultra may be a bit much for them. I would first start by reduding textures to high, then terrain decoration, then terrain detail, one at a time. The shadows in ultra are the best part of ultra to me though. This is at 1920x 1080 right?

Posted 04/19/2012 10:22 PM   
[quote name='RedFury77' date='19 April 2012 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1334874149' post='1398490']

In Game options:

In the control panel:

[/quote]

correct about resolution. whats the perf diff for fxaa vs 2x or 4x msaa for this game? i think that the textures are whats causing the problem. i wonder if upping the systemram volts and videoram ghz will have any effect.

also having similar problems in skyrim when moving to areas with diff. textures. might be that the memory cannot keep up with the GPUs?
[quote name='RedFury77' date='19 April 2012 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1334874149' post='1398490']

In Game options:

In the control panel:

correct about resolution. whats the perf diff for fxaa vs 2x or 4x msaa for this game? i think that the textures are whats causing the problem. i wonder if upping the systemram volts and videoram ghz will have any effect.

also having similar problems in skyrim when moving to areas with diff. textures. might be that the memory cannot keep up with the GPUs?

Posted 04/19/2012 11:33 PM   
[quote name='joshtb86' date='19 April 2012 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1334878393' post='1398516']

[/quote]
msaa has a HUGE performance effect because it requires a lot of vram to execute. FXAA or PostAA is applied after the frame is rendered and to the entire screen at once. Here this explains it a lot better than I can: http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/batman-arkham-city-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide/#2

Upping the system ram volts is only neccassary to create a stable overclock of ram. Bumping the vram speed does not create more vram so you will still have the same vram limitations. Overclocking vram does not improve anything except benchmark scores in my experience.

The ULTRA textures does take a lot of vram, and you can't really tell the difference in the quality even if you are looking for it. Try the afterburner and add "vram usage" to the monitoring screen in the settings. I bet every time your fps drops, your vram maxes out.
[quote name='joshtb86' date='19 April 2012 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1334878393' post='1398516']

msaa has a HUGE performance effect because it requires a lot of vram to execute. FXAA or PostAA is applied after the frame is rendered and to the entire screen at once. Here this explains it a lot better than I can: http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/batman-arkham-city-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide/#2

Upping the system ram volts is only neccassary to create a stable overclock of ram. Bumping the vram speed does not create more vram so you will still have the same vram limitations. Overclocking vram does not improve anything except benchmark scores in my experience.

The ULTRA textures does take a lot of vram, and you can't really tell the difference in the quality even if you are looking for it. Try the afterburner and add "vram usage" to the monitoring screen in the settings. I bet every time your fps drops, your vram maxes out.

Posted 04/21/2012 01:39 AM   
Scroll To Top