GTX 550 TI Heat problems, smell?
Hello!

I have a GTX 550 TI graphics card, I just bought a new Motherboard and FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core CPU. Before I was using a dual-core Athlon with an older motherboard.

OK; Before, using the old motherborad and old athlon CPU, my GTX 550 TI would never go above 60* Celcius. Right after I switched to a new motherboard and new CPU my GTX goes above 60-70* Celcius right after I open battlefield 3.

What is a safe temperature?

When it goes over 60-70 celcius I can start to smell the "heat" I guess, it's quite annoying and makes me wonder if it's anything bad.

Yes I HAVE tried putting the fan speed far up, it stays around 40-60% using EVGA Precision. BUT.... The faster I go on the fan speed, the HOTTER it gets. If I have my PC idle, running nothing on it, the lower fan speed the less temperature... The higher fan speed (50-70%) it gets very hot for some reason.

So my questions are...

1.) Would a new Mobo/CPU cause the GTX to get hotter?
2.) Ideal graphics card temperature?
3.) Why does my GTX 550 Ti get hotter with higher fan speeds?
Hello!

I have a GTX 550 TI graphics card, I just bought a new Motherboard and FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core CPU. Before I was using a dual-core Athlon with an older motherboard.

OK; Before, using the old motherborad and old athlon CPU, my GTX 550 TI would never go above 60* Celcius. Right after I switched to a new motherboard and new CPU my GTX goes above 60-70* Celcius right after I open battlefield 3.

What is a safe temperature?

When it goes over 60-70 celcius I can start to smell the "heat" I guess, it's quite annoying and makes me wonder if it's anything bad.

Yes I HAVE tried putting the fan speed far up, it stays around 40-60% using EVGA Precision. BUT.... The faster I go on the fan speed, the HOTTER it gets. If I have my PC idle, running nothing on it, the lower fan speed the less temperature... The higher fan speed (50-70%) it gets very hot for some reason.

So my questions are...

1.) Would a new Mobo/CPU cause the GTX to get hotter?

2.) Ideal graphics card temperature?

3.) Why does my GTX 550 Ti get hotter with higher fan speeds?

Posted 04/19/2012 06:21 AM   
Only thing that comes to mind is poor contact with the card's heat sink -- which would require you to pull the sink off and apply thermal paste. Are you overclocking?

Set motherboard to defaults, check for BIOS updates on the motherboard manufacturer website, run Windows Update. Be sure SmartFan is on and remove all manual fan control settings, everything should be on auto.
Only thing that comes to mind is poor contact with the card's heat sink -- which would require you to pull the sink off and apply thermal paste. Are you overclocking?

Set motherboard to defaults, check for BIOS updates on the motherboard manufacturer website, run Windows Update. Be sure SmartFan is on and remove all manual fan control settings, everything should be on auto.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/19/2012 06:27 AM   
[quote name='HollywoodPCRepair' date='19 April 2012 - 06:27 AM' timestamp='1334816820' post='1398181']

[/quote]

I haven't looked at the heat sink such, in a few I'll take the casing off and look at it all. I have some extra arctic silver thermal paste, I guess I could switch the current stuff with that and it might help. The motherboard is new, updated to the latest and set to auto since I just got it today.

I do not overclock the GPU, not even my CPU though I am able to...
[quote name='HollywoodPCRepair' date='19 April 2012 - 06:27 AM' timestamp='1334816820' post='1398181']

I haven't looked at the heat sink such, in a few I'll take the casing off and look at it all. I have some extra arctic silver thermal paste, I guess I could switch the current stuff with that and it might help. The motherboard is new, updated to the latest and set to auto since I just got it today.

I do not overclock the GPU, not even my CPU though I am able to...

Posted 04/19/2012 06:34 AM   
Okay. Run Windows Update until you get past Service Pack 1. Check BIOS update for motherboard.
Okay. Run Windows Update until you get past Service Pack 1. Check BIOS update for motherboard.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/19/2012 06:39 AM   
Scroll To Top