EVGA 780i SLI PCI-Express x16 port 1 not working
I have an EVGA 780i SLI motherboard. I absolutely loved it until the first GPU port stopped working and in EVGA's infinite wisdom you can't have the main or only GPU in anything put slot 1. Anyone know of anyway to fix it? I've examined the board but I see no visual signs of any type of damage. It does boot up fine, but I get the message above.

I'm currently using a p5n-d board which is good, but won't boot with my q9550 so I'm forced to use an e5200 which is maxed out in several games and is limiting my enjoyment in 3D.

Please advise if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.
I have an EVGA 780i SLI motherboard. I absolutely loved it until the first GPU port stopped working and in EVGA's infinite wisdom you can't have the main or only GPU in anything put slot 1. Anyone know of anyway to fix it? I've examined the board but I see no visual signs of any type of damage. It does boot up fine, but I get the message above.

I'm currently using a p5n-d board which is good, but won't boot with my q9550 so I'm forced to use an e5200 which is maxed out in several games and is limiting my enjoyment in 3D.

Please advise if anyone can help or point me in the right direction.

Posted 04/18/2012 08:03 PM   
You get a message that says ""[b]Due to EVGA's infinite wisdom, you cannot have the main or only GPU in anything put slot 1[/b]""?????

Please explain a little better for those of us in the child protective chairs :)

And your Hardware specs, would like them explained a little for me as well.

You have take the Card from Slot 1 and put it in another machine without issue correct?
You have clear the CMOS using the CMOS jumper or switch to make sure its not glitched?
You get a message that says ""Due to EVGA's infinite wisdom, you cannot have the main or only GPU in anything put slot 1""?????

Please explain a little better for those of us in the child protective chairs :)

And your Hardware specs, would like them explained a little for me as well.

You have take the Card from Slot 1 and put it in another machine without issue correct?

You have clear the CMOS using the CMOS jumper or switch to make sure its not glitched?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/19/2012 12:55 AM   
I forget the exact wording of the message that popped up after it posted, but it was something like "We have determined that you are using a single GPU in pci-e slot 2 or 3. Please move it to slot 1 for non-sli operation."

I haven't updated my sig, so the specs are listed there. I did all of the usual troubleshooting and I know that the first GPU slot is bad (apparently a common problem). All of the hardware is being used currently with my backup Asus P5N-D motherboard with the exception of the CPU (my P5N-D board will freeze shortly after post with quad CPUs...a problem I knew before I bought the 780i board...glad I kept it now.)

I figure I'll try soldering a new pci-e port on it if I can. I just was curious if anyone knew of anything that might fix it (ie. Pencil mod or whatnot.)

Thanks.
I forget the exact wording of the message that popped up after it posted, but it was something like "We have determined that you are using a single GPU in pci-e slot 2 or 3. Please move it to slot 1 for non-sli operation."

I haven't updated my sig, so the specs are listed there. I did all of the usual troubleshooting and I know that the first GPU slot is bad (apparently a common problem). All of the hardware is being used currently with my backup Asus P5N-D motherboard with the exception of the CPU (my P5N-D board will freeze shortly after post with quad CPUs...a problem I knew before I bought the 780i board...glad I kept it now.)

I figure I'll try soldering a new pci-e port on it if I can. I just was curious if anyone knew of anything that might fix it (ie. Pencil mod or whatnot.)

Thanks.

Posted 04/19/2012 12:07 PM   
Scroll To Top