BF3 Totally Unplayable on Medium/High/Ultra - GIGABYTE GTX 580 3GB Surely this should be able to max
  1 / 2    
[font="Tahoma"]Hi All,

So not only am I new too these forums, I'm pretty new too this entire idea of actually building a PC from scratch (In recent years I've had Dells, Hp's, Macs etc and always just swapped out parts as they became dated).

So anyway I'll get straight to the point.. I finally decided to take the jump and build my own PC, I opted too purchase an Gigabyte GTX 580 for my choice of graphics card as I was under the assumption this should be able to play BF3 flawlessly without and issues (especially with a beefy 3gb GDDR5). After plumbing together the parts and installing the OS to PC, updating the BIOS, Updating drivers and installing correct components I proceeded to download BF3, and then obviously, loaded it. However too my dismay I cannot seem to play the game whatsoever! It is completely unplayable!! At first I thought it may just be that BF3 is unplayable on a single GTX 580 with everything set too ultra (However looking at Nvidia's website it clearly states that I should be able too play BF3 on ultra on a single card..) I consulted many forums searching for advice on this but couldn't find anything so I then reluctantly(reluctant because I purchased all my hardware with playing BF3 on Ultra in mind)dropped my video settings to High too find out that the game was still unplayable.. I then proceeded to drop it again too Medium and the game was still lagging. I haven't tried it on low and to be perfectly honest I'm not going too. I may not be an expert on these things but I know that the hardware I've got should be more than necessary.

In terms of the game being unplayable I mean this in a literal sense.. This game literally is unplayable! Running, Shooting, Strafing, Panning from right too left, Panning up too down, ANY SORT OF MOVEMENT WHATSOVER BECOMES A PROBLEM. It appears the response time ranges from around 1second-4seconds before it actually processes any sort of action. The thing I find strange is that in some cases dropping my settings down too medium actually seemed to make the lag worse than playing at Ultra!

I have had no problems playing any other games, I can run 2 world of warcrafts (bots ftw) with settings on max (not graphically intensive I know) while playing MW3 on the highest graphic setting FLAWLESSLY with absolutely ZERO LAG.

My drivers are the most recent release (Updated yesterday)

Could someone please aid me with solving this or perhaps provide me with some sort of clarification off what Is going wrong?

[list]
[*]Could i perhaps of messed up something in the build process?
[*]Do I honestly need to have 2 580's SLI too play maxxed on ultra? (read mixed reviews)
[*]Is my Gigabyte GTX 580 known too have problems? (I noticed that it's now been discontinued on many sites and i can't find too many reviews containing advice for the product)
[*]Is this a BF3 problem as I am able to play other games perfectly?
[*]Could this be a defective piece of hardware? If so - how would I go about proving that?(So I can prove it too Ebuyer!)
[/list]

Please see below for my PC Specifications..

Intel Core I7-3930K 3.20GHz Socket 2011 12MB Cache - Overclocked too 4.6Ghz
Asus P9X79 PRO Socket 2011 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V 262586
Gigabyte GTX 580 3072MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
Corsair Hydro Series H100 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case - 3x 140mm Fans with 4x Hot-Swap Hard Drive Bays
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX 1200W Modular PSU
WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache
Intel 240GB 520 Series SSD 2.5" SATA-III Read 550MB/s Write 520MB/s
LG E2290V-SN Ultra Slim LCD LED 21.5" HDMI Monitor x2

Any light you wise experienced members could shed on this would be incredibly appreciated. I've been scratching my head for a while on this one and i feel if i scratch much more my hair will start too fall out.

Thanks for your time and help in advance :)

- Ell

PS - My apologies if this thread is in the wrong place! [/font]
Hi All,

So not only am I new too these forums, I'm pretty new too this entire idea of actually building a PC from scratch (In recent years I've had Dells, Hp's, Macs etc and always just swapped out parts as they became dated).

So anyway I'll get straight to the point.. I finally decided to take the jump and build my own PC, I opted too purchase an Gigabyte GTX 580 for my choice of graphics card as I was under the assumption this should be able to play BF3 flawlessly without and issues (especially with a beefy 3gb GDDR5). After plumbing together the parts and installing the OS to PC, updating the BIOS, Updating drivers and installing correct components I proceeded to download BF3, and then obviously, loaded it. However too my dismay I cannot seem to play the game whatsoever! It is completely unplayable!! At first I thought it may just be that BF3 is unplayable on a single GTX 580 with everything set too ultra (However looking at Nvidia's website it clearly states that I should be able too play BF3 on ultra on a single card..) I consulted many forums searching for advice on this but couldn't find anything so I then reluctantly(reluctant because I purchased all my hardware with playing BF3 on Ultra in mind)dropped my video settings to High too find out that the game was still unplayable.. I then proceeded to drop it again too Medium and the game was still lagging. I haven't tried it on low and to be perfectly honest I'm not going too. I may not be an expert on these things but I know that the hardware I've got should be more than necessary.

In terms of the game being unplayable I mean this in a literal sense.. This game literally is unplayable! Running, Shooting, Strafing, Panning from right too left, Panning up too down, ANY SORT OF MOVEMENT WHATSOVER BECOMES A PROBLEM. It appears the response time ranges from around 1second-4seconds before it actually processes any sort of action. The thing I find strange is that in some cases dropping my settings down too medium actually seemed to make the lag worse than playing at Ultra!

I have had no problems playing any other games, I can run 2 world of warcrafts (bots ftw) with settings on max (not graphically intensive I know) while playing MW3 on the highest graphic setting FLAWLESSLY with absolutely ZERO LAG.

My drivers are the most recent release (Updated yesterday)

Could someone please aid me with solving this or perhaps provide me with some sort of clarification off what Is going wrong?

• Could i perhaps of messed up something in the build process?
  • Do I honestly need to have 2 580's SLI too play maxxed on ultra? (read mixed reviews)
  • Is my Gigabyte GTX 580 known too have problems? (I noticed that it's now been discontinued on many sites and i can't find too many reviews containing advice for the product)
  • Is this a BF3 problem as I am able to play other games perfectly?
  • Could this be a defective piece of hardware? If so - how would I go about proving that?(So I can prove it too Ebuyer!)

Please see below for my PC Specifications..

Intel Core I7-3930K 3.20GHz Socket 2011 12MB Cache - Overclocked too 4.6Ghz

Asus P9X79 PRO Socket 2011 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V 262586

Gigabyte GTX 580 3072MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

Corsair Hydro Series H100 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Corsair Obsidian 800D Case - 3x 140mm Fans with 4x Hot-Swap Hard Drive Bays

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX 1200W Modular PSU

WD 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s Caviar Green Hard Drive - 64MB Cache

Intel 240GB 520 Series SSD 2.5" SATA-III Read 550MB/s Write 520MB/s

LG E2290V-SN Ultra Slim LCD LED 21.5" HDMI Monitor x2

Any light you wise experienced members could shed on this would be incredibly appreciated. I've been scratching my head for a while on this one and i feel if i scratch much more my hair will start too fall out.

Thanks for your time and help in advance :)

- Ell

PS - My apologies if this thread is in the wrong place!

Posted 04/18/2012 11:01 AM   
Two questions:

1) Do you have Hyper-Threading enabled on your Sandybridge? Although this gives benefit to applications that cater to HT technology, almost every game excludes the feature, and can cause more problematic results. Especially Frostbite 2 based engines.

2) Have you ran benchmarking software such as 3DMark 11, Heaven, Stone Giant etc. to diagnose a possible issue in your system? Perhaps CPU throttle, Temperatures etc.
[b]
NOTE:[/b] [i]I would move to the current beta [url="http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-301.24-beta-drivers-released/"]found here[/url] if you have not done so already. Also, remember to add a profile via NVIDIA Control Panel specifically for each game's executable; "Prefer Maximum Performance" is highly recommended for games, as it will prevent low power states from conflicting with GPU usage. [/i]

-Hooks
Two questions:

1) Do you have Hyper-Threading enabled on your Sandybridge? Although this gives benefit to applications that cater to HT technology, almost every game excludes the feature, and can cause more problematic results. Especially Frostbite 2 based engines.

2) Have you ran benchmarking software such as 3DMark 11, Heaven, Stone Giant etc. to diagnose a possible issue in your system? Perhaps CPU throttle, Temperatures etc.

NOTE:
I would move to the current beta found here if you have not done so already. Also, remember to add a profile via NVIDIA Control Panel specifically for each game's executable; "Prefer Maximum Performance" is highly recommended for games, as it will prevent low power states from conflicting with GPU usage.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 04/18/2012 11:25 AM   
You said yourself this is the only game you have this problem with. That least to only a few possibilities:

Most likely it's the drivers or somethin' software wise you're doing wrong. Try the drivers Hooks linked to above. See if they help. As far as running Ultra goes, you would need 2 580s to do that and not run in to regular sub-45FPS issues, depending on your resolution, which from your listing looks like you're running 1080p. Try running those new drivers, and set the in game setting to "High" let it auto-set everything based on the High Preset. That should be perfectly playable.

Are you refering to Single Player, Multiplayer or both? If SP is playable and MP isn't, it could be your Ping is the issue. What country are you based in and do you have DSL or faster internet?
You said yourself this is the only game you have this problem with. That least to only a few possibilities:

Most likely it's the drivers or somethin' software wise you're doing wrong. Try the drivers Hooks linked to above. See if they help. As far as running Ultra goes, you would need 2 580s to do that and not run in to regular sub-45FPS issues, depending on your resolution, which from your listing looks like you're running 1080p. Try running those new drivers, and set the in game setting to "High" let it auto-set everything based on the High Preset. That should be perfectly playable.

Are you refering to Single Player, Multiplayer or both? If SP is playable and MP isn't, it could be your Ping is the issue. What country are you based in and do you have DSL or faster internet?

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 04/18/2012 12:20 PM   
[font="Tahoma"]Firstly, thank you all for your concise and efficient responses.

@Righthooks
Although I'm not certain, I do believe Hyper threading is currently enabled. In which case I shall disable it as soon as I'm back from work and get back too you with the result.

In regard too drivers how stable/much of a better performance increase do these provide? I'm usually quite reluctant too install anything that's in a BETA stage especially when it's involving things such as drivers. I will however give it a shot as surely it has to be better than the shocking performance I'm getting at the moment.

@Honey Badger
Do you have any link that clarifies that fact? I've trawled through page upon page of Google results prior too posting this and have really found mixed views and opinions throughout. Some seem to be siding with you saying that you would require 2 580's in SLI too play BF3 on Ultra however some completely fire that argument down and say that 1 single 580 is more than adequate and many people saying they play BF3 on a single 580 with no problem whatsoever.. If that is to be true then surely an even more beefy 580 with 3gb GDDR5 should be able too cope?? Plus Nvidia's own website does state that a single GTX 580 at 1920 x 1080 (my resolution) should be able to play with everything maxxed. http://www.geforce.com/optimize/optimal-game-settings/Battlefield-3-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580-OPS

And in regard too it being a ping issue I am 100% certain its not the case. I run a 100mb internet connection, with a 10mb upload speed. Ping test result - http://www.pingtest.net/result/61181712.png

@TopJetVet
As I said too Hooks, I'll check if it is enabled when i'm home from work (About an hours time) And if it is disable it and report back with results..

Thanks again for your responses!

[/font]
Firstly, thank you all for your concise and efficient responses.

@Righthooks

Although I'm not certain, I do believe Hyper threading is currently enabled. In which case I shall disable it as soon as I'm back from work and get back too you with the result.

In regard too drivers how stable/much of a better performance increase do these provide? I'm usually quite reluctant too install anything that's in a BETA stage especially when it's involving things such as drivers. I will however give it a shot as surely it has to be better than the shocking performance I'm getting at the moment.

@Honey Badger

Do you have any link that clarifies that fact? I've trawled through page upon page of Google results prior too posting this and have really found mixed views and opinions throughout. Some seem to be siding with you saying that you would require 2 580's in SLI too play BF3 on Ultra however some completely fire that argument down and say that 1 single 580 is more than adequate and many people saying they play BF3 on a single 580 with no problem whatsoever.. If that is to be true then surely an even more beefy 580 with 3gb GDDR5 should be able too cope?? Plus Nvidia's own website does state that a single GTX 580 at 1920 x 1080 (my resolution) should be able to play with everything maxxed. http://www.geforce.com/optimize/optimal-game-settings/Battlefield-3-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-580-OPS

And in regard too it being a ping issue I am 100% certain its not the case. I run a 100mb internet connection, with a 10mb upload speed. Ping test result - http://www.pingtest.net/result/61181712.png

@TopJetVet

As I said too Hooks, I'll check if it is enabled when i'm home from work (About an hours time) And if it is disable it and report back with results..

Posted 04/18/2012 04:09 PM   
[quote name='Ellsherlock' date='18 April 2012 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1334765390' post='1397901']
[font="Tahoma"]Firstly, thank you all for your concise and efficient responses.

@Righthooks

@Honey Badger

@TopJetVet

[/font]
[/quote]
[i]
The driver BETA stage essentially means it has not passed official Microsoft driver signing (WQHL). In a nut shell there are very small driver changes that occur between beta to WQHL if any at all. In other words, it is safe to use.

I currently have 3-way GTX580s (3Gig), and they are incapable of maintaining 60+ FPS on ultra presets at 2560x1600 (Dell U3011 IPS). Although 1920x1080p is handled quite easily by my configuration on my alternate ASUS 27" LCD; Honey Badger is quite accurate that a single card cannot manage Battlefield 3 on Ultra @1080p. If someone told you that a single GTX580 can max Battlefield 3 at anything but low frames with occasional highs...they are taking you for a ride. It's an impressive unit, but that is simply exaggeration.

Also, if you are not aware of the hyper-threading being active; how much time was spent configuring your BIOS related to frequency settings? You may indeed have a performance culprit in that area. I am assuming your overclock was achieved by using only the multiplier function? Did you alter ratio configurations or XMS profiles? [/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='Ellsherlock' date='18 April 2012 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1334765390' post='1397901']

Firstly, thank you all for your concise and efficient responses.

@Righthooks

@Honey Badger

@TopJetVet

The driver BETA stage essentially means it has not passed official Microsoft driver signing (WQHL). In a nut shell there are very small driver changes that occur between beta to WQHL if any at all. In other words, it is safe to use.

I currently have 3-way GTX580s (3Gig), and they are incapable of maintaining 60+ FPS on ultra presets at 2560x1600 (Dell U3011 IPS). Although 1920x1080p is handled quite easily by my configuration on my alternate ASUS 27" LCD; Honey Badger is quite accurate that a single card cannot manage Battlefield 3 on Ultra @1080p. If someone told you that a single GTX580 can max Battlefield 3 at anything but low frames with occasional highs...they are taking you for a ride. It's an impressive unit, but that is simply exaggeration.

Also, if you are not aware of the hyper-threading being active; how much time was spent configuring your BIOS related to frequency settings? You may indeed have a performance culprit in that area. I am assuming your overclock was achieved by using only the multiplier function? Did you alter ratio configurations or XMS profiles?

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 04/18/2012 10:15 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='18 April 2012 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1334787328' post='1398047']
[i]

Also, if you are not aware of the hyper-threading being active; how much time was spent configuring your BIOS related to frequency settings? You may indeed have a performance culprit in that area. I am assuming your overclock was achieved by using only the multiplier function? Did you alter ratio configurations or XMS profiles? [/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

Hi Hooks,

I've just done a 3DMark11 Basic edition benchmark.. Heres the link too my result : http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3226467;jsessionid=1npgc22501eci1bewsjj5zhcav (or http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/3dmarkw.jpg/) As you can see it states that "Your Score is Low Compared to Similar Systems. There may be a problem"

Okay so I will abandon my hopes of getting BF3 playing on Ultra on this one GTX 580 and purchase another however I still believe there may be another underlying problem. I've installed those drivers you've posted and disabled HyperThreading however I've only really noticed a small difference. Nothing major, there's still a reasonable amount of response time lag. When running in ultra my frames rarely drop below 40fps and i usually get a constant 55-70fps, On high my frames rarely drop below 45-50fps and I usually get a constant 60-80fps yet I still have this obvious, incredibly annoying lag rendering beautiful games such as BF3 truly unplayable

Admittedly I shortcut overclocking my system as I'm so new too all of this. At first I tried using the ASUS AI suite software that came with my motherboard and attempted overclocking via the utility contained within that but I was getting too many crashes during gaming or anything that really stressed the CPU. I then tried too go with the rough settings the utility provided and tweak some of the offsets in my bios however I didn't make much headway. I then done abit more googling and stumbled across http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9247-BIOS-Screensots-of-Stable-4.6-Overclock-P9X79-Pro . I've been running with those settings ever since at 4.6ghz and it's been running perfectly with not a single crash to date. I've also run lengthy AIDA64 stress tests which have also not resulted in any crashes.

Will running two GTX 580's in SLI for certain eliminate these issues, and I then be able too run BF3 on Ultra flawlessly without and spikes, lag or jumps? A further question (if you don't mind educating the uneducated)If I were too purchase another GTX 580, would it matter from what company it was from? I'd obviously prefer too buy another 3gb 580 but as the current one I have seems largely discontinued everywhere (certainly for UK) would I then run into compatibility problems if I used a EVGA 3gb with my Gigabyte 3gb in SLI?

Any other possible fixes for this lag would be very much appreciated though!

Thanks again

- Ell
[quote name='Righthooks' date='18 April 2012 - 10:15 PM' timestamp='1334787328' post='1398047']

Also, if you are not aware of the hyper-threading being active; how much time was spent configuring your BIOS related to frequency settings? You may indeed have a performance culprit in that area. I am assuming your overclock was achieved by using only the multiplier function? Did you alter ratio configurations or XMS profiles?

-Hooks

Hi Hooks,

I've just done a 3DMark11 Basic edition benchmark.. Heres the link too my result : http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3226467;jsessionid=1npgc22501eci1bewsjj5zhcav (or http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/152/3dmarkw.jpg/) As you can see it states that "Your Score is Low Compared to Similar Systems. There may be a problem"

Okay so I will abandon my hopes of getting BF3 playing on Ultra on this one GTX 580 and purchase another however I still believe there may be another underlying problem. I've installed those drivers you've posted and disabled HyperThreading however I've only really noticed a small difference. Nothing major, there's still a reasonable amount of response time lag. When running in ultra my frames rarely drop below 40fps and i usually get a constant 55-70fps, On high my frames rarely drop below 45-50fps and I usually get a constant 60-80fps yet I still have this obvious, incredibly annoying lag rendering beautiful games such as BF3 truly unplayable

Admittedly I shortcut overclocking my system as I'm so new too all of this. At first I tried using the ASUS AI suite software that came with my motherboard and attempted overclocking via the utility contained within that but I was getting too many crashes during gaming or anything that really stressed the CPU. I then tried too go with the rough settings the utility provided and tweak some of the offsets in my bios however I didn't make much headway. I then done abit more googling and stumbled across http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9247-BIOS-Screensots-of-Stable-4.6-Overclock-P9X79-Pro . I've been running with those settings ever since at 4.6ghz and it's been running perfectly with not a single crash to date. I've also run lengthy AIDA64 stress tests which have also not resulted in any crashes.

Will running two GTX 580's in SLI for certain eliminate these issues, and I then be able too run BF3 on Ultra flawlessly without and spikes, lag or jumps? A further question (if you don't mind educating the uneducated)If I were too purchase another GTX 580, would it matter from what company it was from? I'd obviously prefer too buy another 3gb 580 but as the current one I have seems largely discontinued everywhere (certainly for UK) would I then run into compatibility problems if I used a EVGA 3gb with my Gigabyte 3gb in SLI?

Any other possible fixes for this lag would be very much appreciated though!

Thanks again

- Ell

Posted 04/18/2012 11:44 PM   
[quote name='Ellsherlock' date='18 April 2012 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1334765390' post='1397901']
@Honey Badger

[/quote]

I'm speaking from personal experience when it comes to the 580s. I have 3 sitting on a shelf right now that I'm trying to sell of the 1.5GB variety, I ran single, dual & 3-Way SLi in BF3, and at 1080P/Ultra a single card struggles to maintain 60FPS in the multiplayer especially on the more graphically awesome maps like Caspian Border & Strike at Karkand. Setting to High will help a lot, and honestly, there are very few differences between High & Ultra, visually, that make Ultra even worth running.

The reviews you're seeing saying 1 580 is enough are people not running 1080p, or people that're fine with running sub-60FPS. I for one find when a game drops below 45FPS that it becomes unplayable. It's all a matter of personal taste. I would say that you should be able to play smoothly on High, perhaps with Ambient Occlusion turned off, and maintain FPS higher than 45, about 90% of the time. That's based on 580s having ran in my system, which is in my signature (2600k @ 4.6GHz 2x4GB of 2133MHz CL9 RAM, etc).

As far as the 580s go: You can SLi 2 580s of any brand, doesn't matter which. You can also SLi a 1.5GB & 3GB card from what I understand, but that'd make the 3GB card only run with 1.5GB of vRAM usable, so I wouldn't recommend it.
[quote name='Ellsherlock' date='18 April 2012 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1334765390' post='1397901']

@Honey Badger

I'm speaking from personal experience when it comes to the 580s. I have 3 sitting on a shelf right now that I'm trying to sell of the 1.5GB variety, I ran single, dual & 3-Way SLi in BF3, and at 1080P/Ultra a single card struggles to maintain 60FPS in the multiplayer especially on the more graphically awesome maps like Caspian Border & Strike at Karkand. Setting to High will help a lot, and honestly, there are very few differences between High & Ultra, visually, that make Ultra even worth running.

The reviews you're seeing saying 1 580 is enough are people not running 1080p, or people that're fine with running sub-60FPS. I for one find when a game drops below 45FPS that it becomes unplayable. It's all a matter of personal taste. I would say that you should be able to play smoothly on High, perhaps with Ambient Occlusion turned off, and maintain FPS higher than 45, about 90% of the time. That's based on 580s having ran in my system, which is in my signature (2600k @ 4.6GHz 2x4GB of 2133MHz CL9 RAM, etc).

As far as the 580s go: You can SLi 2 580s of any brand, doesn't matter which. You can also SLi a 1.5GB & 3GB card from what I understand, but that'd make the 3GB card only run with 1.5GB of vRAM usable, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 04/19/2012 12:10 AM   
If it's just an issue with BF3 have you tried reinstalling it? it would make slight sense that it's a faulty install.
If it's just an issue with BF3 have you tried reinstalling it? it would make slight sense that it's a faulty install.

Practice good sportsmanship, you were a noob once to!

SPEC's

i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz cooled by a Corsair H60

8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

Asus RoG Maximus V Extreme

850w OCZ 80+ Gold

3gb Asus hd7950 + 3gb Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950

Win7 professional 64 bit

1TB Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD

120GB OCZ SSD

Posted 04/19/2012 10:04 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='19 April 2012 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1334794249' post='1398071']

[/quote]

Hi Honey Badger,

I'm certainly going to go ahead and purchase another GTX 580 and I thank you for your advice. When it comes to branding is there a specific brand that stands out from the rest of the crowd along the 580 range? Would it be beneficial to use another 3gb Gigabyte card or is there literally zero difference? I'd obviously have too opt for a 3GB card otherwise I may aswell of bought the cheaper 1.5gb card to start with. Do you have any you personally can recommend? I assumed Gigabyte was a strong decent brand upon buying this first 580 however after seeing it discontinued on eBuyer ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/279276 )I'm slightly worried that may be where my problem lies in the first place. If you have a look at my 3DMark11 Basic score posted is there anything that stands out too you as out of the ordinary? It states that "Your Score is Low Compared to Similar Systems. There may be a problem" although it doesn't direct me too such problem, and I'm not in an experienced enough position to diagnose where that problem lies myself. Even when playing on High yesterday with Hyperthreading disabled & The latest BETA drivers there was still a noticeable amount of lag and although the game was bareable to play it wasn't really enjoyable and I would quickly be decimated by any enemy that appeared out've nowhere as my reaction time is ultimately killed due to this response lag and by the time the game processes that I've infact turned and fired at the enemy its already too late.

The only reason this all worries me so much is because I would hate the idea of purchasing this new card and still experiencing these problems. Would 2 GTX 580's in SLI be able to handle the game in ultra without hindering the playability of the game? Infact would it even cope with High settings without giving me this response lag?

Do you know of any other BIOS/Configuration settings that could be set incorrectly that are pummelling my performance? Are my benchmark scores normal for a single GTX 580? Would overclocking the GPU be a possible avenue too explore?

On a side note, when playing other games I've noticed there is a small frame lag when panning across a environment although I think this is more-so down too my displays. What is the most commonly adopted refresh rate for desktop monitors that maximise gaming performance too produce the crispest, cleanest, judder free images?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Again any light you can shed on these issues is greatly appreciated and once again I thank you all for your responses!

[quote name='Loui5D' date='19 April 2012 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1334829876' post='1398238']
[/quote]

Hi Loui5D,

I did think too try this, I uninstalled it just before I left for work this morning and will re-install as soon as I get back home and report back with results.

Thanks for your suggestion.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='19 April 2012 - 12:10 AM' timestamp='1334794249' post='1398071']

Hi Honey Badger,

I'm certainly going to go ahead and purchase another GTX 580 and I thank you for your advice. When it comes to branding is there a specific brand that stands out from the rest of the crowd along the 580 range? Would it be beneficial to use another 3gb Gigabyte card or is there literally zero difference? I'd obviously have too opt for a 3GB card otherwise I may aswell of bought the cheaper 1.5gb card to start with. Do you have any you personally can recommend? I assumed Gigabyte was a strong decent brand upon buying this first 580 however after seeing it discontinued on eBuyer ( http://www.ebuyer.com/product/279276 )I'm slightly worried that may be where my problem lies in the first place. If you have a look at my 3DMark11 Basic score posted is there anything that stands out too you as out of the ordinary? It states that "Your Score is Low Compared to Similar Systems. There may be a problem" although it doesn't direct me too such problem, and I'm not in an experienced enough position to diagnose where that problem lies myself. Even when playing on High yesterday with Hyperthreading disabled & The latest BETA drivers there was still a noticeable amount of lag and although the game was bareable to play it wasn't really enjoyable and I would quickly be decimated by any enemy that appeared out've nowhere as my reaction time is ultimately killed due to this response lag and by the time the game processes that I've infact turned and fired at the enemy its already too late.

The only reason this all worries me so much is because I would hate the idea of purchasing this new card and still experiencing these problems. Would 2 GTX 580's in SLI be able to handle the game in ultra without hindering the playability of the game? Infact would it even cope with High settings without giving me this response lag?

Do you know of any other BIOS/Configuration settings that could be set incorrectly that are pummelling my performance? Are my benchmark scores normal for a single GTX 580? Would overclocking the GPU be a possible avenue too explore?

On a side note, when playing other games I've noticed there is a small frame lag when panning across a environment although I think this is more-so down too my displays. What is the most commonly adopted refresh rate for desktop monitors that maximise gaming performance too produce the crispest, cleanest, judder free images?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions! Again any light you can shed on these issues is greatly appreciated and once again I thank you all for your responses!

[quote name='Loui5D' date='19 April 2012 - 10:04 AM' timestamp='1334829876' post='1398238']

Hi Loui5D,

I did think too try this, I uninstalled it just before I left for work this morning and will re-install as soon as I get back home and report back with results.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Posted 04/19/2012 10:30 AM   
[quote name='Ellsherlock' date='19 April 2012 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1334831433' post='1398248']

[/quote]

Any update on these questions guys? Very eager to get this second GTX purchased.

- Thanks Ell
[quote name='Ellsherlock' date='19 April 2012 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1334831433' post='1398248']

Any update on these questions guys? Very eager to get this second GTX purchased.

- Thanks Ell

Posted 04/23/2012 07:34 AM   
[i]Ellsherlock, could you post a screen capture of the latest CPU-Z build's evaluation of your current CPU/Memory configuration?

Also, to answer one of your primary questions; a second GTX580 will undoubtedly increase your overall performance. However, if you do have another factor hindering your performance, it will come out when myself or others look at your CPU-Z report.[/i]

-Hooks
Ellsherlock, could you post a screen capture of the latest CPU-Z build's evaluation of your current CPU/Memory configuration?

Also, to answer one of your primary questions; a second GTX580 will undoubtedly increase your overall performance. However, if you do have another factor hindering your performance, it will come out when myself or others look at your CPU-Z report.

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 04/23/2012 11:03 AM   
i have 3 580's in my system with an intel 3960x and i run at a constant 60fps on ultra with supersampling turned to 4x.but i have to turn off supersampling and turn textures down to high when running 2 580's to maintain the 60fps with no drops.

A single 580 will run at 60fps on a mix of high and ultra settings, but you do need 2 580's to run at ultra without any frame drops. Bf3 is very gpu intensive
i have 3 580's in my system with an intel 3960x and i run at a constant 60fps on ultra with supersampling turned to 4x.but i have to turn off supersampling and turn textures down to high when running 2 580's to maintain the 60fps with no drops.

A single 580 will run at 60fps on a mix of high and ultra settings, but you do need 2 580's to run at ultra without any frame drops. Bf3 is very gpu intensive

intel 3960x @4.1Ghz

3 x 680 2gb water cooled

3 x 42inch fullhd @6080x1080

32 gigs gskill XMP @2133

win 7 64bit

Posted 04/23/2012 11:34 AM   
Hi Hooks,

I'll get that for you the minute I return home, which should hopefully be in around 2 hours. Thanks again for your response hopefully my CPU/Memory config will reveal some issues! Also Hooks I've noticed from your signature that you're a keen water cooler. I've been looking into this over the last 2-3 weeks as it appeals to me not really because of the cooling benefits more-so the noise benefits. Due to running these bots overnight on World of Warcraft(and now SW:TOR) you can imagine the noise of a few fans spinning isn't the most therapeutic way too drift off to sleep.

What would be my best route too explore into getting my machine completely watercooled. Would it be easier/cheaper for me too just sell this GTX 580 and buy 2 580 Hydro 2's? Or is cheaper/easier to just buy a standard 580 then fit the waterblock? Is it possible for me too fit a waterblock too my current 580 (taking of the fans) and then just buy a Hydro 2? In your personal opinion are the Hydro's even worth it? And as i'm currently using the H100 for my CPU cooling, would I be able too use it in conjunction with a looped water cooling setup or would that setup have to completely replace the H100? Finally what watercooling setup would you currently say is the best on the market?

Again I apologise for my bombardment of questions but you guys all seem to know your stuff and I'd like to at least begin knowing mine lol.

Tepescovir perhaps you could shed some light on some of these questions as i've noticed in your signature as I write this that you infact use 3 x 580 3gb hydros2's /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Thanks again for all your support

- Ell
Hi Hooks,

I'll get that for you the minute I return home, which should hopefully be in around 2 hours. Thanks again for your response hopefully my CPU/Memory config will reveal some issues! Also Hooks I've noticed from your signature that you're a keen water cooler. I've been looking into this over the last 2-3 weeks as it appeals to me not really because of the cooling benefits more-so the noise benefits. Due to running these bots overnight on World of Warcraft(and now SW:TOR) you can imagine the noise of a few fans spinning isn't the most therapeutic way too drift off to sleep.

What would be my best route too explore into getting my machine completely watercooled. Would it be easier/cheaper for me too just sell this GTX 580 and buy 2 580 Hydro 2's? Or is cheaper/easier to just buy a standard 580 then fit the waterblock? Is it possible for me too fit a waterblock too my current 580 (taking of the fans) and then just buy a Hydro 2? In your personal opinion are the Hydro's even worth it? And as i'm currently using the H100 for my CPU cooling, would I be able too use it in conjunction with a looped water cooling setup or would that setup have to completely replace the H100? Finally what watercooling setup would you currently say is the best on the market?

Again I apologise for my bombardment of questions but you guys all seem to know your stuff and I'd like to at least begin knowing mine lol.

Tepescovir perhaps you could shed some light on some of these questions as i've noticed in your signature as I write this that you infact use 3 x 580 3gb hydros2's /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Thanks again for all your support

- Ell

Posted 04/23/2012 12:36 PM   
My CPU-Z Screenshots can be found [url="http://postimage.org/image/5tlv1sdkx/"]HERE[/url]
And this is the link too my [url="http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2342066"] CPU-Z validation[/url]
My CPU-Z Screenshots can be found HERE

And this is the link too my CPU-Z validation

Posted 04/23/2012 04:01 PM   
[i]There are three factors to understand about liquid-cooling before making the dive:[/i]

[list]

[*]Expense
[*]Difficulty Level
[*]Necessity vs. Aesthetic
[/list]

[i]There are obvious benefits to liquid-cooling PC components, but the most looked over is longevity. Liquid-cooling in most cases reduces TDP/PSU power consumption as power typically drawn by traditional cooling solutions is reduced, or eliminated entirely under a water-block environment. In addition to this, operating temperatures consisting of both idle and load temperatures are dramatically reduced. This is because the water-block which replaces the standard heatsink receives constant circulation throughout the channels of the block, and simultaneously gets exhausted through the use of a radiator. Marks as low as a -40C decrease have been established in CPU, GPU, and Mainboard cooling solutions depending on configuration. This not only extends the life of the targeted component, but also aids in creating headroom for overclocking or increased voltage/mV consolidation.

Now, getting started with liquid-cooling can be a challenge depending on expectations, or elaborateness desired in the build. It is best to learn to crawl before you run. In other words, start with a simple CPU loop; this will consist of a water-block, reservoir, radiator and fans, fittings, tubing, fluid, and a pump. GPU loops are among the more complex in the science of liquid-cooling led closely by the mainboard (difficulty of installation). Mainly this is due to the use of more components involved in the circulation process by these units. The more units involved, the more drawn out the process must be in terms of planning (mocking up).

In terms of water-block choice, it comes down to finical investment and performance barriers. There are underlining differences in performance, cost, and ease-of-use that are factored in when choosing a solution. For example: it is much easier to purchase a GPU with a water-block already established over the span of the PCB. However, this does not mean the benefit will outweigh the simplicity. In most cases an aftermarket water-block will outperform the readily available Swiftech units used by the eVGA’s HC series. EK being my personal preference in GPU water-blocks, have both a higher degree of flow-rate, as well as heat dissipation. Koolance’s 370 being my top choice in CPU currently, just a side note.

CPU water-blocks depend greatly on socket, and are viewed more as a luxury than a necessity with sockets exceeding 2011 (depending on overclocking preference). This is due to the naturally lower operating temperatures. Whereas, liquid-cooling a 1366 socket may be viewed as both highly valuable, as well as a required decision for Gulftown CPUs among the i79XX family. The wise alternative to an “elaborate” liquid-cooling loop is the use of a Corsair “H” family cooling solution. If your CPU does not require massive overhead, this is by far the most simplistic, economical, and safest solution currently available.

In closing, the largest part of learning liquid-cooling is self-education. Read, ask questions, make notes on components other builders utilize, and plan with patience and precision. I have built various liquid-cooled systems, and I still use the same methods and patience I used with the first. Without patience, you can achieve only an expensive mistake.
[/i]

[b]EDIT:[/b] [i]If you need anything else, or would like me to help you compile a parts list, please feel free to ask.[/i] /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

-Hooks
There are three factors to understand about liquid-cooling before making the dive:

• Expense
  • Difficulty Level
  • Necessity vs. Aesthetic

There are obvious benefits to liquid-cooling PC components, but the most looked over is longevity. Liquid-cooling in most cases reduces TDP/PSU power consumption as power typically drawn by traditional cooling solutions is reduced, or eliminated entirely under a water-block environment. In addition to this, operating temperatures consisting of both idle and load temperatures are dramatically reduced. This is because the water-block which replaces the standard heatsink receives constant circulation throughout the channels of the block, and simultaneously gets exhausted through the use of a radiator. Marks as low as a -40C decrease have been established in CPU, GPU, and Mainboard cooling solutions depending on configuration. This not only extends the life of the targeted component, but also aids in creating headroom for overclocking or increased voltage/mV consolidation.

Now, getting started with liquid-cooling can be a challenge depending on expectations, or elaborateness desired in the build. It is best to learn to crawl before you run. In other words, start with a simple CPU loop; this will consist of a water-block, reservoir, radiator and fans, fittings, tubing, fluid, and a pump. GPU loops are among the more complex in the science of liquid-cooling led closely by the mainboard (difficulty of installation). Mainly this is due to the use of more components involved in the circulation process by these units. The more units involved, the more drawn out the process must be in terms of planning (mocking up).

In terms of water-block choice, it comes down to finical investment and performance barriers. There are underlining differences in performance, cost, and ease-of-use that are factored in when choosing a solution. For example: it is much easier to purchase a GPU with a water-block already established over the span of the PCB. However, this does not mean the benefit will outweigh the simplicity. In most cases an aftermarket water-block will outperform the readily available Swiftech units used by the eVGA’s HC series. EK being my personal preference in GPU water-blocks, have both a higher degree of flow-rate, as well as heat dissipation. Koolance’s 370 being my top choice in CPU currently, just a side note.

CPU water-blocks depend greatly on socket, and are viewed more as a luxury than a necessity with sockets exceeding 2011 (depending on overclocking preference). This is due to the naturally lower operating temperatures. Whereas, liquid-cooling a 1366 socket may be viewed as both highly valuable, as well as a required decision for Gulftown CPUs among the i79XX family. The wise alternative to an “elaborate” liquid-cooling loop is the use of a Corsair “H” family cooling solution. If your CPU does not require massive overhead, this is by far the most simplistic, economical, and safest solution currently available.

In closing, the largest part of learning liquid-cooling is self-education. Read, ask questions, make notes on components other builders utilize, and plan with patience and precision. I have built various liquid-cooled systems, and I still use the same methods and patience I used with the first. Without patience, you can achieve only an expensive mistake.

EDIT: If you need anything else, or would like me to help you compile a parts list, please feel free to ask. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

-Hooks

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

Posted 04/24/2012 03:18 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top