Reference 3D Surround GTX680 cards
I'm curious why the reference design for the 680 doesn't directly support the 3D Surround with the built-in display outputs. Why do we not see a reference design that has 3x mini-displayport and 1x Dual-Link DVI, or 4x mini-displayport connections? I'm sure it has something to do with a combination of licensing costs for displayport and/or compatibility with older (sill fairly new) displays. However I can't understand why nVidia wouldn't embrace something that would make it easy to standardize "3D Surround Compatible" displays. Why should I need to use a HDMI -> DVI or DisplayPort -> DVI adapter to accomplish this type of setup? From the videos and reviews I've seen I do appreciate the work that has gone into the drivers and nVidia Control Panel and the new level of control over how multi-monitor setups work. I just wish the stock design would have used 3 of the same digital connection (which is required?) for 3 monitor 3D Surround. Similar to the ASUS HD7970-DC2 but without the 2x DVI on top. Anyway, thats my rant. I'm hopping to see some MFG's release some non-reference cards that are like this soon.

P.S. I'm also looking for suggestions on 27" displays that have DisplayPort and work well with 3D Vision Surround.

Thanks in advance
I'm curious why the reference design for the 680 doesn't directly support the 3D Surround with the built-in display outputs. Why do we not see a reference design that has 3x mini-displayport and 1x Dual-Link DVI, or 4x mini-displayport connections? I'm sure it has something to do with a combination of licensing costs for displayport and/or compatibility with older (sill fairly new) displays. However I can't understand why nVidia wouldn't embrace something that would make it easy to standardize "3D Surround Compatible" displays. Why should I need to use a HDMI -> DVI or DisplayPort -> DVI adapter to accomplish this type of setup? From the videos and reviews I've seen I do appreciate the work that has gone into the drivers and nVidia Control Panel and the new level of control over how multi-monitor setups work. I just wish the stock design would have used 3 of the same digital connection (which is required?) for 3 monitor 3D Surround. Similar to the ASUS HD7970-DC2 but without the 2x DVI on top. Anyway, thats my rant. I'm hopping to see some MFG's release some non-reference cards that are like this soon.

P.S. I'm also looking for suggestions on 27" displays that have DisplayPort and work well with 3D Vision Surround.

Thanks in advance

Posted 04/17/2012 12:44 AM   
Scroll To Top