BF3 FXAA (AA Post) vs Nvidia FXAA (R300)
So what are the differences between BF3's "Antialiasing Post" (which I've heard is FXAA) and Nvidia's FXAA enabled through the Control Panel?

Am I asking the wrong question? Are they even the same thing?
So what are the differences between BF3's "Antialiasing Post" (which I've heard is FXAA) and Nvidia's FXAA enabled through the Control Panel?

Core i5-760 @ 4.0GHz

GTX 570 SLI

8GB DDR3

ASRock P55 Extreme4

HP 2509m LCD 1920x1080

Posted 04/16/2012 11:12 PM   
[quote name='pnoozi' date='16 April 2012 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1334617979' post='1397233']

[/quote]
[i]
Battlefield 3 utilizes FXAA in conjunction or independently from the engine level MSAA (deferred assisted) as a post process buffer; whereas NVIDIA's FXAA operates independently to replace all forms of antialiasing present or non within a game (supporting of the technology) via control panel/NVIDIA Inspector. FXAA is proclaimed equivalent to 4xMSAA in image quality production with less performance draw, however since Battlefield 3 already utilizes the technology as a post process feature it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver.

Also, the post process FXAA filter on Battlefield 3 is a form of image softening to remove "jaggies" on objects such as flora or character models (an after-touch), it is not intended to be a form of true FSAA (full-screen antialiasing). Best image quality is conducted via x2/x4 MSAA, as well as the level of Post Process AA(FXAA) within the game's video calibration screen.

NVIDIA's FXAA is only compatible with games that do not use any form of FXAA as a primary feature (for the time being). This is quite similar to SGSSAA hex values and flags operating solely on predetermined MSAA levels.[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='pnoozi' date='16 April 2012 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1334617979' post='1397233']

Battlefield 3 utilizes FXAA in conjunction or independently from the engine level MSAA (deferred assisted) as a post process buffer; whereas NVIDIA's FXAA operates independently to replace all forms of antialiasing present or non within a game (supporting of the technology) via control panel/NVIDIA Inspector. FXAA is proclaimed equivalent to 4xMSAA in image quality production with less performance draw, however since Battlefield 3 already utilizes the technology as a post process feature it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver.

Also, the post process FXAA filter on Battlefield 3 is a form of image softening to remove "jaggies" on objects such as flora or character models (an after-touch), it is not intended to be a form of true FSAA (full-screen antialiasing). Best image quality is conducted via x2/x4 MSAA, as well as the level of Post Process AA(FXAA) within the game's video calibration screen.

NVIDIA's FXAA is only compatible with games that do not use any form of FXAA as a primary feature (for the time being). This is quite similar to SGSSAA hex values and flags operating solely on predetermined MSAA levels.

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 04/16/2012 11:41 PM   
Thank you but please provide a source (it is in italics, assuming you were quoting someone?).

That explanation is a little hard to understand. Particularly:

[i]FXAA is proclaimed equivalent to 4xMSAA in image quality production with less performance draw, however since Battlefield 3 already utilizes the technology as a post process feature it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver.[/i]

I understand FXAA is supposed to be on par with 4x MSAA in image quality, but what is referred to by "[i]it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver[/i]". What is disabled? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Also, are you saying that Nvidia FXAA is incompatible with BF3 just because BF3 offers AA options?
Thank you but please provide a source (it is in italics, assuming you were quoting someone?).

FXAA is proclaimed equivalent to 4xMSAA in image quality production with less performance draw, however since Battlefield 3 already utilizes the technology as a post process feature it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver.

I understand FXAA is supposed to be on par with 4x MSAA in image quality, but what is referred to by "it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver". What is disabled? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Also, are you saying that Nvidia FXAA is incompatible with BF3 just because BF3 offers AA options?

Core i5-760 @ 4.0GHz

GTX 570 SLI

8GB DDR3

ASRock P55 Extreme4

HP 2509m LCD 1920x1080

Posted 04/16/2012 11:53 PM   
Because BF3 already uses FXAA as an in-game option, the NVidia Control Panel will not allow you to set it via the Control Panel. You have to use BF3's in-game FXAA.
Because BF3 already uses FXAA as an in-game option, the NVidia Control Panel will not allow you to set it via the Control Panel. You have to use BF3's in-game FXAA.

Posted 04/17/2012 12:42 AM   
[quote name='pnoozi' date='16 April 2012 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1334620387' post='1397245']

[i]FXAA is proclaimed equivalent to 4xMSAA in image quality production with less performance draw, however since Battlefield 3 already utilizes the technology as a post process feature it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver.[/i]

I understand FXAA is supposed to be on par with 4x MSAA in image quality, but what is referred to by "[i]it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver[/i]". What is disabled? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

[/quote]

[i]Sorry, Italics are more or less a signature (trademark) type thing that stuck over the years here. I am the source...[/i]

-Hooks
[quote name='pnoozi' date='16 April 2012 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1334620387' post='1397245']

FXAA is proclaimed equivalent to 4xMSAA in image quality production with less performance draw, however since Battlefield 3 already utilizes the technology as a post process feature it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver.

I understand FXAA is supposed to be on par with 4x MSAA in image quality, but what is referred to by "it is disabled by default as a complete replacement via NVIDA's driver". What is disabled? /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

Sorry, Italics are more or less a signature (trademark) type thing that stuck over the years here. I am the source...

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 04/17/2012 01:56 AM   
Scroll To Top