GTX 560 Ti Crashing/Locking Up/Black Screening
Hey,

Last night my PC started crashing under certain conditions once I'd installed the 296.10 drivers. The vast majority of videos on YouTube are now green boxes with sound (some play the actual content but they are few and far between) but more alarmingly I can't play any games for more than 5 minutes. Examples include Battlefield 3, Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City, all of which my computer ran completely fine prior to updating my drivers. Whenever I attempt to play these games I'll get a few minutes of gameplay and one of three things will happen:

[list]
[*]The screen will freeze at the frame it's on with the current sound being looped. The only way to remedy this is by hard resetting via the case power button
[*]My screen will go black for a few seconds before returning to the game. Sound is still played normally during the black screen
[*]The application will crash to desktop with an error bubble stating that my drivers failed but then recovered.
[/list]

The list is in order from most common to least common. I did a quick Google this morning and found that I'm just one among seemingly thousands who are having this issue. I tried un-installing the new 296.10 drivers and going back to the known-good 285.62 however this hasn't sorted the issue out. I then tried going back further to the 275.33 and even forwards to the beta 301.24 drivers however the issues remain the same. I'm not inclined to believe this is a hardware failure as my PC is only a few months old and my temperature monitors have never risen above normal operating figures. Plus, up until when I updated my drivers everything was fine.

Can anyone provide a solution to the driver woes that I'm having as this is frustrating to the max. This rig was built simply to play games on and now all it can seemingly do without crashing is browse the internet.

For reference my specs are:

Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
ASUS P8P67 Mobo
ASUS GTX 560 Ti
8Gb DDR3 RAM
Corsair TX650 PSU

Edit: I might add that none of my hardware is overclocked to my knowledge and is all at factory stock settings.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

- Cable
Hey,

Last night my PC started crashing under certain conditions once I'd installed the 296.10 drivers. The vast majority of videos on YouTube are now green boxes with sound (some play the actual content but they are few and far between) but more alarmingly I can't play any games for more than 5 minutes. Examples include Battlefield 3, Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City, all of which my computer ran completely fine prior to updating my drivers. Whenever I attempt to play these games I'll get a few minutes of gameplay and one of three things will happen:

• The screen will freeze at the frame it's on with the current sound being looped. The only way to remedy this is by hard resetting via the case power button
  • My screen will go black for a few seconds before returning to the game. Sound is still played normally during the black screen
  • The application will crash to desktop with an error bubble stating that my drivers failed but then recovered.

The list is in order from most common to least common. I did a quick Google this morning and found that I'm just one among seemingly thousands who are having this issue. I tried un-installing the new 296.10 drivers and going back to the known-good 285.62 however this hasn't sorted the issue out. I then tried going back further to the 275.33 and even forwards to the beta 301.24 drivers however the issues remain the same. I'm not inclined to believe this is a hardware failure as my PC is only a few months old and my temperature monitors have never risen above normal operating figures. Plus, up until when I updated my drivers everything was fine.

Can anyone provide a solution to the driver woes that I'm having as this is frustrating to the max. This rig was built simply to play games on and now all it can seemingly do without crashing is browse the internet.

For reference my specs are:

Intel i5 2500k Sandy Bridge

ASUS P8P67 Mobo

ASUS GTX 560 Ti

8Gb DDR3 RAM

Corsair TX650 PSU

Edit: I might add that none of my hardware is overclocked to my knowledge and is all at factory stock settings.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

- Cable

Posted 04/15/2012 09:31 PM   
are you performing a clean driver install?
when you start the Nvidia driver installer
choose advanced and select clean install
that way all of the older driver files are
removed from your system.
this is my only suggestion. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
are you performing a clean driver install?

when you start the Nvidia driver installer

choose advanced and select clean install

that way all of the older driver files are

removed from your system.

this is my only suggestion. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 04/16/2012 05:52 AM   
Thanks for the reply. I've been completely cleaning out the old drivers before installing new ones every time I've changed so I'm pretty sure it's not down to that.
Thanks for the reply. I've been completely cleaning out the old drivers before installing new ones every time I've changed so I'm pretty sure it's not down to that.

Posted 04/16/2012 07:27 AM   
Bump
Bump

Posted 04/16/2012 03:45 PM   
what your getting is the famous TDR (timeout detection and recovery)
I had it a year ago but only while running youtube videos and someone
on here said to turn off hardware acceleration in youtube by right
clicking youtube and go into settings to turn it off and i have been
TDR free since.
on your game issue i have no more ideas as i never had a gaming TDR.
some on these forums have found good results by reinstalling windows,
not my idea of fun either but it might work.
what your getting is the famous TDR (timeout detection and recovery)

I had it a year ago but only while running youtube videos and someone

on here said to turn off hardware acceleration in youtube by right

clicking youtube and go into settings to turn it off and i have been

TDR free since.

on your game issue i have no more ideas as i never had a gaming TDR.

some on these forums have found good results by reinstalling windows,

not my idea of fun either but it might work.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 04/16/2012 04:43 PM   
This issue started after you installed the 296.10 drivers? TONS of people are having issues with those drivers and the 560TI's. From crashes, pink screens on youtube, purple screens (mostly weird artifact stuff) Black screen (drivers stopped responding errors and recovery). Check out the posts on PINK screens and you'll find a lot of info that is attributed to the drivers. I for one had a lot of stability issues that ended when I rolled back to an older set of drivers. I'm now running with the 301.24 BETA drivers that came out last week and I've had no problems since then.

Check out this post:

[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226529&st=0"]PINK SCREENS[/url]
This issue started after you installed the 296.10 drivers? TONS of people are having issues with those drivers and the 560TI's. From crashes, pink screens on youtube, purple screens (mostly weird artifact stuff) Black screen (drivers stopped responding errors and recovery). Check out the posts on PINK screens and you'll find a lot of info that is attributed to the drivers. I for one had a lot of stability issues that ended when I rolled back to an older set of drivers. I'm now running with the 301.24 BETA drivers that came out last week and I've had no problems since then.

Check out this post:

PINK SCREENS

Does this rag smell like chloroform?
First Person Shooter Dude (my YouTube Channel) Click and suscribe!
AMD FX-8350 Vishera @4.4GHz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler
EVGA GTX 560TI 2GB SLI
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 840 500GB SSD
RAIDMAX RX-1200AE 1200W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Windows 7 Premium Home Edition 64 bit

Posted 04/17/2012 02:56 AM   
Better use the latest beta or roll back to 295.xx.
Better use the latest beta or roll back to 295.xx.
Like I said in my opening post, going back to older drivers doesn't help as I still get the same crashing/lock ups.
Like I said in my opening post, going back to older drivers doesn't help as I still get the same crashing/lock ups.

Posted 04/18/2012 07:40 PM   
Could it be a bad card? If you've tried every driver past and present and there is no change have you run stress tests on your vid card? Here is a program that I have used [url="http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/"]Furmark[/url] Also here's a page of utilities for your card: [url="http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/Features/GPU_Tweak/"]Asus VGA Utilites[/url]
Could it be a bad card? If you've tried every driver past and present and there is no change have you run stress tests on your vid card? Here is a program that I have used Furmark Also here's a page of utilities for your card: Asus VGA Utilites

Does this rag smell like chloroform?
First Person Shooter Dude (my YouTube Channel) Click and suscribe!
AMD FX-8350 Vishera @4.4GHz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler
EVGA GTX 560TI 2GB SLI
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 840 500GB SSD
RAIDMAX RX-1200AE 1200W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Windows 7 Premium Home Edition 64 bit

Posted 04/18/2012 09:32 PM   
I have no reason to suspect it being a bad card purely because up until I installed the 296 drivers my computer was working completely fine.

I've just run the burn in on Furmark and got 30 seconds in before crashing out and giving me this error:

[b]The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.

The application must close.[/b]

I'm not sure what it's implying to be honest. Hopefully my card isn't dying and it is just a driver error.
I have no reason to suspect it being a bad card purely because up until I installed the 296 drivers my computer was working completely fine.

I've just run the burn in on Furmark and got 30 seconds in before crashing out and giving me this error:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.

The application must close.

I'm not sure what it's implying to be honest. Hopefully my card isn't dying and it is just a driver error.

Posted 04/18/2012 09:37 PM   
Can anyone shed some light on this OpenGL issue?
Can anyone shed some light on this OpenGL issue?

Posted 04/19/2012 08:53 AM   
Drivers cannot kill cards but Furmark can. Furmark should not be used with Nvidia cards. It has been known to cause permanent damage.
[url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=194254"]This -[/url].
There are those who argue that if ATI can do it so should Nvidia. That's beside the point. Forget synthetic benchmarks, and stick with real world (games).

Actually Furmark contributed to the death of my ATI 1950XT a few years ago when it came bundled with the Catalyst Control Panel.
Don't know if it still does as that was my last ATI card, and last synthetic benchmark of any sort in my house. When reading reviews I don't even read the results of synthetic benchmarks, only the game ones.

Is your version of Win7 an upgrade or clean install on reformatted HDD ? What sort of 'power plan' is your Windows set to use ? If you are using any power saving
other than the monitor sleeping then that may be worth looking into. See if using the 'high performance' option helps.
The causes of TDR's are many and varied, despite the error message putting the blame on the drivers. Too high in game settings, and software are one of the main culprits.

If the card is not borked, what software are you running that is using Open GL ? The games you mention use Direct 3D.
Are there forums specific to that software that may be helpful ? There is also another forum on this site that deals more with Open GL .
Drivers cannot kill cards but Furmark can. Furmark should not be used with Nvidia cards. It has been known to cause permanent damage.

This -.

There are those who argue that if ATI can do it so should Nvidia. That's beside the point. Forget synthetic benchmarks, and stick with real world (games).

Actually Furmark contributed to the death of my ATI 1950XT a few years ago when it came bundled with the Catalyst Control Panel.

Don't know if it still does as that was my last ATI card, and last synthetic benchmark of any sort in my house. When reading reviews I don't even read the results of synthetic benchmarks, only the game ones.

Is your version of Win7 an upgrade or clean install on reformatted HDD ? What sort of 'power plan' is your Windows set to use ? If you are using any power saving

other than the monitor sleeping then that may be worth looking into. See if using the 'high performance' option helps.

The causes of TDR's are many and varied, despite the error message putting the blame on the drivers. Too high in game settings, and software are one of the main culprits.

If the card is not borked, what software are you running that is using Open GL ? The games you mention use Direct 3D.

Are there forums specific to that software that may be helpful ? There is also another forum on this site that deals more with Open GL .

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/19/2012 09:19 AM   
Thanks for the advice on Furmark. I've only used it the once so I'm not really concerned about it having damaged my card.

My Windows 7 is a clean install and all power management settings are on "Maximum Performance".

I'm 100% confident it's not my game settings being too high as up until I installed the 296.xx drivers I could play all my games fine at high or ultra.

As for software using OpenGL I really have no idea what would be using it. This desktop is used solely for gaming and some internet browsing. All I have installed are Google Chrome, Steam, Ad-aware Antivirus, Avast, Dropbox, CCleaner, Fraps, mIRC, Ventrilo, Mumble and Skype and I couldn't tell you which one of those would use OpenGL personally.

As far as specific forums go I'm sceptical about it being game software because I can't play [i]any games[/i] whatsoever and considering all my issues started [i]after[/i] updating my drivers I can't see how it's a dead card unless it's an unfortunate coincidence that my card decided to throw a fit after updating drivers.
Thanks for the advice on Furmark. I've only used it the once so I'm not really concerned about it having damaged my card.

My Windows 7 is a clean install and all power management settings are on "Maximum Performance".

I'm 100% confident it's not my game settings being too high as up until I installed the 296.xx drivers I could play all my games fine at high or ultra.

As for software using OpenGL I really have no idea what would be using it. This desktop is used solely for gaming and some internet browsing. All I have installed are Google Chrome, Steam, Ad-aware Antivirus, Avast, Dropbox, CCleaner, Fraps, mIRC, Ventrilo, Mumble and Skype and I couldn't tell you which one of those would use OpenGL personally.

As far as specific forums go I'm sceptical about it being game software because I can't play any games whatsoever and considering all my issues started after updating my drivers I can't see how it's a dead card unless it's an unfortunate coincidence that my card decided to throw a fit after updating drivers.

Posted 04/19/2012 10:30 AM   
Another reason as to why I don't believe this is a hardware issue is because I can actually get into my games, they just crash 30 second to a few minutes into playing. Whenever I get into a game of BF3 all the models, textures, effects and what-have-you are all fine and the game looks and plays as it should before albeit from the crashes. I'm no expert on hardware but I'm fairly sure that if I was suffering a hardware problem then I'd be getting weird artefacts, and models/textures failing to render properly, which I'm not.
Another reason as to why I don't believe this is a hardware issue is because I can actually get into my games, they just crash 30 second to a few minutes into playing. Whenever I get into a game of BF3 all the models, textures, effects and what-have-you are all fine and the game looks and plays as it should before albeit from the crashes. I'm no expert on hardware but I'm fairly sure that if I was suffering a hardware problem then I'd be getting weird artefacts, and models/textures failing to render properly, which I'm not.

Posted 04/19/2012 01:57 PM   
Scroll To Top