Question about multiple hard drives (HDD AND SSD)
I have my operating system on a 120gb SSD with a windows rating of 7.3 My games are on a HDD with a windows rating of 5.9

Do i need to have games installed on the SSD for best performance, or will the two hard drives work together to load textures faster? Just wasn't sure. Noticed some minor stuttering and not sure if it's because I didn't install my games on the SSD. Any tips from experience?
I have my operating system on a 120gb SSD with a windows rating of 7.3 My games are on a HDD with a windows rating of 5.9

Do i need to have games installed on the SSD for best performance, or will the two hard drives work together to load textures faster? Just wasn't sure. Noticed some minor stuttering and not sure if it's because I didn't install my games on the SSD. Any tips from experience?

Posted 04/15/2012 04:53 PM   
Firstly, what's this got to do with GTX6--?

Anyway, games installed on your HDD will perform the same regardless of how fast your OS drive is, so to see any benefit you should install them on the SSD.

I run a smaller 64GB SSD so using a lite install of Win 7 helps (takes around 6GB compared to standard 14GB+)
Firstly, what's this got to do with GTX6--?

Anyway, games installed on your HDD will perform the same regardless of how fast your OS drive is, so to see any benefit you should install them on the SSD.

I run a smaller 64GB SSD so using a lite install of Win 7 helps (takes around 6GB compared to standard 14GB+)

Posted 04/15/2012 05:16 PM   
No, you absolutely do not need to install the games on the SSD. The SSD is for the operating system and you are correct to have installed games on the regular rotational disk. Games may load faster from the SSD but they are running in RAM so once loaded, and cached, you will not perceive a difference.

Leave all games, video, music, program installations, etc. on the conventional rotational drive.
No, you absolutely do not need to install the games on the SSD. The SSD is for the operating system and you are correct to have installed games on the regular rotational disk. Games may load faster from the SSD but they are running in RAM so once loaded, and cached, you will not perceive a difference.

Leave all games, video, music, program installations, etc. on the conventional rotational drive.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/15/2012 06:34 PM   
[quote name='HollywoodPCRepair' date='15 April 2012 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1334514889' post='1396725']
Games may load faster from the SSD but they are running in RAM so once loaded, and cached, you will not perceive a difference.
[/quote]

ahh thats intresting, i would of thought by installing the games onto the SSD the Read Speed compared to a old conventional drive would be shocking.

So to set an example your playing BF3 or Which evergame, The server or game changes level your now looking at a loading screen.

This loading screen would happen alot quicker on a SSD due to the Read/Write Speed or would it ne quicker/faster on the Conventional drive? which would out perform the other.

Also what benefit apart from cost is there by running with the Conventional drive? its old tech (Nearly Dead tech too)

I guess if you ran say the conventional drives in a raid to push the performance it might come close to an SSD, but the cost of building that raid compared to buying 1x SSD is not worth the hassle.

its all intresting, also because i have not really played with SSD's yet, why would you not recommend putting the games on the same drive as the OS? is this because of the OS slowing the read speed due to its already in use?

Anywho look forward to your reply, its all new and fun tech tbh
[quote name='HollywoodPCRepair' date='15 April 2012 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1334514889' post='1396725']

Games may load faster from the SSD but they are running in RAM so once loaded, and cached, you will not perceive a difference.

ahh thats intresting, i would of thought by installing the games onto the SSD the Read Speed compared to a old conventional drive would be shocking.

So to set an example your playing BF3 or Which evergame, The server or game changes level your now looking at a loading screen.

This loading screen would happen alot quicker on a SSD due to the Read/Write Speed or would it ne quicker/faster on the Conventional drive? which would out perform the other.

Also what benefit apart from cost is there by running with the Conventional drive? its old tech (Nearly Dead tech too)

I guess if you ran say the conventional drives in a raid to push the performance it might come close to an SSD, but the cost of building that raid compared to buying 1x SSD is not worth the hassle.

its all intresting, also because i have not really played with SSD's yet, why would you not recommend putting the games on the same drive as the OS? is this because of the OS slowing the read speed due to its already in use?

Anywho look forward to your reply, its all new and fun tech tbh

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-X58-G1-GUERILLA X58 Socket 1366 7.1 Channel HD Audio ATX

Ram - G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V

PSU - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 650W V2 High Performance '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

GPU - MSI GTX 680 2GB GDDR5

CPU - Intel® Xeon® Processor W3550 (8M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI)

CPU Cooler – Corsair H20 60

HDD – 1TB Seagate (being swapped with 2x250GB SSD’s for Raid)

Case - Corsair 600T Mesh

All stock clocks, nothing overclocked at all :)

Posted 04/17/2012 01:50 PM   
There is no reason "not" to put games on the SSD other than there isn't a lot of room on it. If you want the game you play the most to be super fast in loads, then yes, put the game on the SSD. Leave room for the OS to grow. Remember that many games save replays, which can take up a great deal of room quickly by SSD standards.

Most people ration the limited space on the SSD to the operating system and swap file (although some people intentionally move the swap file off the SSD to maximize the SSD's life). OEM's claim SSD MTBF is becoming less of a concern, but because of the price of SSD's, many people attempt to minimize writes.

I recently built a gaming system with a Corsair Force GT 180 6gbps and a 2 TB conventional drive, 7,200 RPM, 6gbps with a 6gbps motherboard. I game from the 2 TB drive and I must say, it's extremely fast. Remember that if you have have 6gb of RAM or more, that, combined with the drive's built-in cache, is going to keep almost everything you are doing in RAM anyway. The 6gbps really does make a difference, and I do not find myself waiting on anything.
There is no reason "not" to put games on the SSD other than there isn't a lot of room on it. If you want the game you play the most to be super fast in loads, then yes, put the game on the SSD. Leave room for the OS to grow. Remember that many games save replays, which can take up a great deal of room quickly by SSD standards.

Most people ration the limited space on the SSD to the operating system and swap file (although some people intentionally move the swap file off the SSD to maximize the SSD's life). OEM's claim SSD MTBF is becoming less of a concern, but because of the price of SSD's, many people attempt to minimize writes.

I recently built a gaming system with a Corsair Force GT 180 6gbps and a 2 TB conventional drive, 7,200 RPM, 6gbps with a 6gbps motherboard. I game from the 2 TB drive and I must say, it's extremely fast. Remember that if you have have 6gb of RAM or more, that, combined with the drive's built-in cache, is going to keep almost everything you are doing in RAM anyway. The 6gbps really does make a difference, and I do not find myself waiting on anything.

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/17/2012 02:51 PM   
I put all my games on their own SSD to minimize load times. I hate staring at loading screens. I actually load all 15.8gb of BF3 into memory and run the game from a RAM Drive just to make it as fast as possible. If you think loading a level from an SSD at 450mbps is fast you should see it load from memory at 7,000mbps. :)

Anyway, if you have the space on your SSD and want your games to load faster then there's no reason not to use the SSD. If you run out of space you can always move the games later, or put your most played games on the SSD and least played games on your normal HD. You might also consider the type of game you put on the SSD. If you find yourself constantly loading levels or new areas, it may be better to load that game onto the SSD whereas a multiplayer game that loads an entire map at once will play just as good on the normal drive (you just won't be the first in the match).
I put all my games on their own SSD to minimize load times. I hate staring at loading screens. I actually load all 15.8gb of BF3 into memory and run the game from a RAM Drive just to make it as fast as possible. If you think loading a level from an SSD at 450mbps is fast you should see it load from memory at 7,000mbps. :)

Anyway, if you have the space on your SSD and want your games to load faster then there's no reason not to use the SSD. If you run out of space you can always move the games later, or put your most played games on the SSD and least played games on your normal HD. You might also consider the type of game you put on the SSD. If you find yourself constantly loading levels or new areas, it may be better to load that game onto the SSD whereas a multiplayer game that loads an entire map at once will play just as good on the normal drive (you just won't be the first in the match).

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930k @ 4.8ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull config 4x120mm
RAM: 32GB(8x4) GeIL EVO Corsa 2400mhz (PC3 19200)
GPUs: 3x GTX 680 2GB 3 Way SLI
Main Displays: 24" Dell U2410 IPS Ultrasharp and 2x 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC Ultrasharps (6040x1200 2D surround)
Accessory Display: 21.5" Asus VS229H-P IPS 1920x1080
HDs: OS: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD; Games: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD; Apps: 128GB Crucial M225 SSD; Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Posted 04/17/2012 03:20 PM   
[quote name='Tyrdstorm' date='17 April 2012 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1334676054' post='1397492']

[/quote]
Yeah that must be really fast, could you check exactly how long it takes to load one of the MP maps(if you have more time I would like to know how long it takes to load SP too)?
[quote name='Tyrdstorm' date='17 April 2012 - 05:20 PM' timestamp='1334676054' post='1397492']

Yeah that must be really fast, could you check exactly how long it takes to load one of the MP maps(if you have more time I would like to know how long it takes to load SP too)?

Intel Core i5 3570K 4.2Ghz | 16GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 RAM | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2GB | Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | Corsair TX750 V2

Posted 04/17/2012 09:59 PM   
How often do you reboot your PC? Every day, on the outside?

How often do you load up a game? Multiple times per day, typically?

If you can't have both your OS and your games on an SSD, I would focus on keeping the games there. While your boot-up time will be longer than it would be with the OS on an SSD, you'll spend less of your life in games' loading screens. That's likely to have the bigger impact.

Amorphous

PS Moved to to the correct forum section.
How often do you reboot your PC? Every day, on the outside?

How often do you load up a game? Multiple times per day, typically?

If you can't have both your OS and your games on an SSD, I would focus on keeping the games there. While your boot-up time will be longer than it would be with the OS on an SSD, you'll spend less of your life in games' loading screens. That's likely to have the bigger impact.

Amorphous

PS Moved to to the correct forum section.

NVIDIA | Technical Marketing Manager
GeForce Forums - Special Counsel

Posted 04/17/2012 10:04 PM   
Scroll To Top