Quick loss of visual when opening video Regardless of software! Persistent bug!
SOLVED - second post.

Please see:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=208785
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=190952

Basically, there is a flash of black when opening a video, as mentioned in those threads.
It is highly disruptive.

These are older threads from last year that were never given much interest — this problem is still occurring to this day and I have had enough.
My work around was to stay away from any driver released after 260.99, and I am currently running 260.99 on my newest system after rediscovering the issue with the latest drivers.
New system specifications here: http://www.sevenforums.com/member.php?u=1580#EPFP_tab

See, I can't afford to do this anymore. I am losing 50-100fps in the games that I play by holding back from using today's drivers, and this is a very big thing.
Surely there is a solution to this or at least a technical explanation so that a solution can be found.

It occurs on both the HDMI and DVI interface, as well as via my soundcard in a DVI->Soundcard HDMI->Receiver configuration if I plug the GTX 480 in to it.
It also occurred on a GTX 260 in the past.
This happens regardless of software, and now that I have a completely new motherboard/chipset I can safely say regardless of the system.

Choosing not to install the NVIDIA HD Audio drivers does not solve this issue, and my workaround for 260.99 is at the expense of incredibly out of date drivers that are giving noticeably less performance for my gaming.

Any support is welcome.
SOLVED - second post.

Please see:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=208785

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=190952

Basically, there is a flash of black when opening a video, as mentioned in those threads.

It is highly disruptive.

These are older threads from last year that were never given much interest — this problem is still occurring to this day and I have had enough.

My work around was to stay away from any driver released after 260.99, and I am currently running 260.99 on my newest system after rediscovering the issue with the latest drivers.

New system specifications here: http://www.sevenforums.com/member.php?u=1580#EPFP_tab

See, I can't afford to do this anymore. I am losing 50-100fps in the games that I play by holding back from using today's drivers, and this is a very big thing.

Surely there is a solution to this or at least a technical explanation so that a solution can be found.

It occurs on both the HDMI and DVI interface, as well as via my soundcard in a DVI->Soundcard HDMI->Receiver configuration if I plug the GTX 480 in to it.

It also occurred on a GTX 260 in the past.

This happens regardless of software, and now that I have a completely new motherboard/chipset I can safely say regardless of the system.

Choosing not to install the NVIDIA HD Audio drivers does not solve this issue, and my workaround for 260.99 is at the expense of incredibly out of date drivers that are giving noticeably less performance for my gaming.

Any support is welcome.

Posted 04/15/2012 03:25 PM   
I've finally fixed it.

Staying up for almost two days (straight) frying an egg on my brain, and I have found a solution.
It took me a good few hours to turn my whiteboard around before I realized "content type" was underlined, then I noticed there was an option called "content type reported to the display" under the Display stub in the NVIDIA control panel.

I've set it to games. Why games?
Because it doesn't matter.
The driver was changing modes. That's all it was. It was changing the content type reported to the display, and I don't know whether that was causing the display to lose (adjust?) connection suddenly, or causing the GPU to drop the connection suddenly, but it is now no longer changing the content type ever, at all, not once.

I had my display locked to Game Mode anyway, but it doesn't matter.
It's solved. I can go dry the blood from my eyelids and sleep watching a playlist of videos that don't cause a flash in between one other.

I just want to thank whoever wrote/designated that feature in to the driver.
It probably didn't exist when I first had this problem before downgrading to... I can't even remember the version number... but now that it does, my life has just got a little bit better.
So this will never happen again.
I can't believe there isn't already a solution for this up somewhere on the web.

Good game, NVIDIA.
Now I have to be extra careful I don't trigger this some other way.
I've finally fixed it.

Staying up for almost two days (straight) frying an egg on my brain, and I have found a solution.

It took me a good few hours to turn my whiteboard around before I realized "content type" was underlined, then I noticed there was an option called "content type reported to the display" under the Display stub in the NVIDIA control panel.

I've set it to games. Why games?

Because it doesn't matter.

The driver was changing modes. That's all it was. It was changing the content type reported to the display, and I don't know whether that was causing the display to lose (adjust?) connection suddenly, or causing the GPU to drop the connection suddenly, but it is now no longer changing the content type ever, at all, not once.

I had my display locked to Game Mode anyway, but it doesn't matter.

It's solved. I can go dry the blood from my eyelids and sleep watching a playlist of videos that don't cause a flash in between one other.

I just want to thank whoever wrote/designated that feature in to the driver.

It probably didn't exist when I first had this problem before downgrading to... I can't even remember the version number... but now that it does, my life has just got a little bit better.

So this will never happen again.

I can't believe there isn't already a solution for this up somewhere on the web.

Good game, NVIDIA.

Now I have to be extra careful I don't trigger this some other way.

Posted 04/17/2012 12:18 AM   
Scroll To Top