Bad Performance on games Any Advice would be apreciated.
I've recently helped my friend buy a new computer from scratch.

His Specs are:

CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
RAM: 2 4GB DDR3 (Don't Remember the brand)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
M/B: Intel DH67BL

The problem is that i thought with those main specs he was gonna fly through games we play Like League of Legends and World of Warcraft (Everything on ultra of course). From my understanding these games weren't those State of the art High end computer only games. But the problem is he's running LOL at 20-40 FPS and Wow barely even runs at ultra settings. I made sure he had the most recent drivers and still the machine doesn't perform even close to like i thought it was gonna do.

So my question is:
Did i do something wrong with the spec or is something causing the computer to not run at it's full potencial?
If somebody can point something out please do.

Thanks in advance.
I've recently helped my friend buy a new computer from scratch.

His Specs are:

CPU: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz

RAM: 2 4GB DDR3 (Don't Remember the brand)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520

M/B: Intel DH67BL

The problem is that i thought with those main specs he was gonna fly through games we play Like League of Legends and World of Warcraft (Everything on ultra of course). From my understanding these games weren't those State of the art High end computer only games. But the problem is he's running LOL at 20-40 FPS and Wow barely even runs at ultra settings. I made sure he had the most recent drivers and still the machine doesn't perform even close to like i thought it was gonna do.

So my question is:

Did i do something wrong with the spec or is something causing the computer to not run at it's full potencial?

If somebody can point something out please do.

Thanks in advance.

Posted 04/15/2012 05:12 AM   
I don't know about League of Legends but for World of Warcraft need a decent video card to run on Ultra these days. The game is now 8yo but they made a alot of changes to the engine in 8 years so it do not run on anything-called-a-video-card anymore. For Ultra you probably want a GTX 550 Ti as minimum.
I don't know about League of Legends but for World of Warcraft need a decent video card to run on Ultra these days. The game is now 8yo but they made a alot of changes to the engine in 8 years so it do not run on anything-called-a-video-card anymore. For Ultra you probably want a GTX 550 Ti as minimum.

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z // i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz 1.28v // 2x4Gb Corsair vengeance DDR3-1600 // EVGA GTX 680 2GB REFERENCE Clock/PCB // Asus VE278Q 27" 1080p // LG Flatron W2242TQ 22" // Intel X25-V 40GB - WD Caviar Black 1TB // Corsair TX750w // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits

Posted 04/15/2012 07:29 AM   
GT520 is weak, it's not going to be able to play even a game as pathetic graphically (yeah I said it) as WoW, maxed out at a decent resolution because it simply lacks the horsepower. Pick up a 560 Ti or similar card, it'll run likea breeze.

I have 580s for sale, slightly used, for $325+shipping, and one for $300+shipping (eVGA) if you're interested, lemme know. Those would run this game, and any other modern game, on great settings and maintain great frame rates.
GT520 is weak, it's not going to be able to play even a game as pathetic graphically (yeah I said it) as WoW, maxed out at a decent resolution because it simply lacks the horsepower. Pick up a 560 Ti or similar card, it'll run likea breeze.

I have 580s for sale, slightly used, for $325+shipping, and one for $300+shipping (eVGA) if you're interested, lemme know. Those would run this game, and any other modern game, on great settings and maintain great frame rates.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 04/15/2012 09:33 AM   
This is just me....but....I see alot of missing information about the true issue being discussed.

Could it be the GPU? Sure. But...

What OS, 32 - 64....everything is not optimized for 64bit still.

What else is running in the background?

What Antivirus?

That memory did you get slow memory, or fast, did you try with only 4gb. Thats why the model info is important. Did you make sure the default settings in the BIOS were correct for the best performance?

BIOS options....

What else is in this computer...PSU?

Are we playing WIRELESSLY? YUCK!!!!! get a cord on it, it you are then see if that helps.

Did you do something (IMO) stupid like using the latest drivers for the GPU? IF so, go back and get one that is 4-6months old. I am not a fan of cheap a== tech support that cries LATEST DRIVERS...these pit you into a huge BETA test where all the problems are not know yet.

Didyou install all this on 1 HD, did you do something like Partition the HD?

But you did buy a weak GPU.
This is just me....but....I see alot of missing information about the true issue being discussed.

Could it be the GPU? Sure. But...

What OS, 32 - 64....everything is not optimized for 64bit still.

What else is running in the background?

What Antivirus?

That memory did you get slow memory, or fast, did you try with only 4gb. Thats why the model info is important. Did you make sure the default settings in the BIOS were correct for the best performance?

BIOS options....

What else is in this computer...PSU?

Are we playing WIRELESSLY? YUCK!!!!! get a cord on it, it you are then see if that helps.

Did you do something (IMO) stupid like using the latest drivers for the GPU? IF so, go back and get one that is 4-6months old. I am not a fan of cheap a== tech support that cries LATEST DRIVERS...these pit you into a huge BETA test where all the problems are not know yet.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/15/2012 01:05 PM   
[quote]Didyou install all this on 1 HD, did you do something like Partition the HD?[/quote]
The implication being ?
I have always, since having HDD 80GB or larger HDD's, used separate Partitions or HDD for all my games.
I often suggest installing games this way to avoid potential issues, mostly permissions (since Vista/Win7), but I have also found that some
games will not install - DOOM3 crashing the machine - to the default location - Program Files (x86).

[quote]everything is not optimized for 64bit still.[/quote]
No need to with games. All of my 100+ games run well on Win7 64bit, but some old games with 16bit installers are a problem, as are the DRM's from mid 2000.
Starforce, Tages and SecureRom can all have a problem with 64bit OS's, most often the games with problematic DRM install and run well with a noCD fix .
[quote]But you did buy a weak GPU.[/quote]
Did he, what ?

The implication being ?

I have always, since having HDD 80GB or larger HDD's, used separate Partitions or HDD for all my games.

I often suggest installing games this way to avoid potential issues, mostly permissions (since Vista/Win7), but I have also found that some

games will not install - DOOM3 crashing the machine - to the default location - Program Files (x86).

everything is not optimized for 64bit still.

No need to with games. All of my 100+ games run well on Win7 64bit, but some old games with 16bit installers are a problem, as are the DRM's from mid 2000.

Starforce, Tages and SecureRom can all have a problem with 64bit OS's, most often the games with problematic DRM install and run well with a noCD fix .

Did he, what ?

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/16/2012 07:19 AM   
[quote name='BossDweebe' date='16 April 2012 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1334560781' post='1396894']
The implication being ?

[/quote]
I have 4 500gig drives and i have windows 7 and microsoft office on C: other programs on D: complete backup on E: and Steam and all my games on F:
and it works great, am i wrong for doing it this way? just asking cause when it comes to hard drives it's not my best subject. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

and to the op the graphics card your using is very weak replace it and you will be good.
[quote name='BossDweebe' date='16 April 2012 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1334560781' post='1396894']

The implication being ?

I have 4 500gig drives and i have windows 7 and microsoft office on C: other programs on D: complete backup on E: and Steam and all my games on F:

and it works great, am i wrong for doing it this way? just asking cause when it comes to hard drives it's not my best subject. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />

and to the op the graphics card your using is very weak replace it and you will be good.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 04/19/2012 03:32 AM   
[quote name='BERRRR' date='19 April 2012 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1334806329' post='1398145']
am i wrong for doing it this way? [/quote]
Nope- We're on the same page.
I currently have two HDD's 500GB and 1TB, and similarly use a partition for general software, another for Steam games, one for my 'Game Stuff'
(mods. patches, noCD's, saves), and one more 4GB partition for storing downloads. The 1TB has all the non Steam games (and 400GB for more atm).
My backup HDD's are not in the machine. I have a CM 690 case with an external HDD port. So cool not having to use DVD's /cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cool:' />

While I started out this way, even with 80GB HDD's , for organisational reasons (having everything in one great folder never appealed), I learned when I was involved in modding Oblivion that people
with Vista had issues with UAC, and it was suggested to install to a different location than the default. Since then I've found there are other occasions where [i]not[/i] installing games to the default location - Program Files (x86) -
is beneficial (DOOM 3 example above), so I like to spread the message. It's just one of those little tweaks that can help in some instances, so it's become part of my personal best practices.

However, there are occasions when is is best practice to use the default location. This is with software that integrates with Windows - Browsers, Anti-Virus, etc, so I do allow some stuff to install there.
On that note, apparently Nvidia drivers have a problem if Windows is not installed to C:\ .
[quote name='BERRRR' date='19 April 2012 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1334806329' post='1398145']

am i wrong for doing it this way?

Nope- We're on the same page.

I currently have two HDD's 500GB and 1TB, and similarly use a partition for general software, another for Steam games, one for my 'Game Stuff'

(mods. patches, noCD's, saves), and one more 4GB partition for storing downloads. The 1TB has all the non Steam games (and 400GB for more atm).

My backup HDD's are not in the machine. I have a CM 690 case with an external HDD port. So cool not having to use DVD's /cool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cool:' />

While I started out this way, even with 80GB HDD's , for organisational reasons (having everything in one great folder never appealed), I learned when I was involved in modding Oblivion that people

with Vista had issues with UAC, and it was suggested to install to a different location than the default. Since then I've found there are other occasions where not installing games to the default location - Program Files (x86) -

is beneficial (DOOM 3 example above), so I like to spread the message. It's just one of those little tweaks that can help in some instances, so it's become part of my personal best practices.

However, there are occasions when is is best practice to use the default location. This is with software that integrates with Windows - Browsers, Anti-Virus, etc, so I do allow some stuff to install there.

On that note, apparently Nvidia drivers have a problem if Windows is not installed to C:\ .

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/19/2012 11:33 AM   
yes all my programs from nvidia and anti-virus etc are on my C drive.
I also have my tower backed up on 2 external hdd and to my networked
laptop as it has 2 hhd in it. /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />
yes all my programs from nvidia and anti-virus etc are on my C drive.

I also have my tower backed up on 2 external hdd and to my networked

laptop as it has 2 hhd in it. /thanks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thanks:' />

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 04/19/2012 03:18 PM   
Scroll To Top