100% cpu usage in win xp sp3
  1 / 3    
Hi. Right now I'm getting 100% cpu usage and is kinda making my computer drag, and in some cases shut down.
At first I started noticing this problem when playing Left 4 Dead. All of a sudden my computer would drop to near unplayable frame rates. Then it happened while playing skyrim. I would tab out, look at task manager and see that the system process was using up most of my cpu.
Odd thing is is that in skyrim, after I lost frame rates sometimes I could quickload a game, and I'd be right back at normal cpu usage and frame rates. Strange. Now, mostly, the frames always drop again minutes later, and I'm back at 100 percent cpu drag.

System specs: Windows xp sp3
AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core Processor 2.70GHz 2.75GB Ram
4GB Ram, but only use 3gb due to xp 32-bit
Nvidia Geforce Gtx 260
mobo - nvidia nforce730a

Here's what I've found about this problem:
-It persisted after a fresh install (reformatting and deleting partitions as well)
-It mostly happens while playing games, sometimes a quick save and quick load would temporarily refresh frame rates. Sometimes this doesnt help and the cpu spikes continue out of game, most of the time persisting for hours. I've seen it spike up out of game as well, but not as much.
-Using Process Explorer I've seen that in the System Process, a process called Interrupts - Hardware Interrupts and DCPs seems to be the thing that's using up all my cpu power whenever this happens.
-Cleaned my heatsink and cpu fan, also applied a fresh dab of thermal paste; and the problem still persists.
-Did a virus scan in updated norton, and various spyware progs. No viruses were found; cleaned up spyware but the problem persisted. Scanned with malware bytes, found 1 item but my computer kept shutting down before finishing... was kind of spooky and unsettling (Running it again as I type after fresh OS install... The program just shut down and now it won't restart. Hopefully thats just a bug in the program. trying a scan with MSE)
-Ran CCleaner. Cleaned up registry and drives. Problem still persists.
My IDE drives are not in PIO mode. Heard a lot about that.
-Flashed bios. No change.
-Updated graphics card drivers to older and newer versions, as well as motherboard drivers, no change.

I'm totally stumped. If anyone has solved this problem it would be a relief to hear. Thanks.
Hi. Right now I'm getting 100% cpu usage and is kinda making my computer drag, and in some cases shut down.

At first I started noticing this problem when playing Left 4 Dead. All of a sudden my computer would drop to near unplayable frame rates. Then it happened while playing skyrim. I would tab out, look at task manager and see that the system process was using up most of my cpu.

Odd thing is is that in skyrim, after I lost frame rates sometimes I could quickload a game, and I'd be right back at normal cpu usage and frame rates. Strange. Now, mostly, the frames always drop again minutes later, and I'm back at 100 percent cpu drag.

System specs: Windows xp sp3

AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core Processor 2.70GHz 2.75GB Ram

4GB Ram, but only use 3gb due to xp 32-bit

Nvidia Geforce Gtx 260

mobo - nvidia nforce730a

Here's what I've found about this problem:

-It persisted after a fresh install (reformatting and deleting partitions as well)

-It mostly happens while playing games, sometimes a quick save and quick load would temporarily refresh frame rates. Sometimes this doesnt help and the cpu spikes continue out of game, most of the time persisting for hours. I've seen it spike up out of game as well, but not as much.

-Using Process Explorer I've seen that in the System Process, a process called Interrupts - Hardware Interrupts and DCPs seems to be the thing that's using up all my cpu power whenever this happens.

-Cleaned my heatsink and cpu fan, also applied a fresh dab of thermal paste; and the problem still persists.

-Did a virus scan in updated norton, and various spyware progs. No viruses were found; cleaned up spyware but the problem persisted. Scanned with malware bytes, found 1 item but my computer kept shutting down before finishing... was kind of spooky and unsettling (Running it again as I type after fresh OS install... The program just shut down and now it won't restart. Hopefully thats just a bug in the program. trying a scan with MSE)

-Ran CCleaner. Cleaned up registry and drives. Problem still persists.

My IDE drives are not in PIO mode. Heard a lot about that.

-Flashed bios. No change.

-Updated graphics card drivers to older and newer versions, as well as motherboard drivers, no change.

I'm totally stumped. If anyone has solved this problem it would be a relief to hear. Thanks.

Posted 04/14/2012 07:21 AM   
When did the problem first appear?

When you did the fresh install, did you actually let the HD format or did you do a QUICK format which actually just wipes the File Table leaving all the information on it? As the problem might be a bad sector on the HD.

Do you have an OLDER GPU to swap out?

What is the least amount of hardware necessary to reproduce this error? Strip the rest of the Hardware out so as to remove it from the equation....Could be an issue / glitch with the mouse, keyboard, Optical drive, etc.

Try this as well.....Unplug the computer....press the power button...locate the CMOS jumper, move to the clear position...check all the capacitors on the motherboard for buldged tops....wait 10minutes....move the CMOS jumper back to operational...plug in the computer...press the power button.

If any of the caps are bad, replace the board or the caps with the EXACT type.

Problem that follows after a fresh install(and a real format) generally is not the OS /software unless you keep reinstalling something not needed to check this issue prior to checking the issue...IE SKYPE or another program that is infact already infected.

When you did the REINSTALL, did you install the AMD PROCESSOR DRIVER or the AMD DUAL-CORE OPTIMIZER?

When you did the fresh install, did you actually let the HD format or did you do a QUICK format which actually just wipes the File Table leaving all the information on it? As the problem might be a bad sector on the HD.

What is the least amount of hardware necessary to reproduce this error? Strip the rest of the Hardware out so as to remove it from the equation....Could be an issue / glitch with the mouse, keyboard, Optical drive, etc.

Try this as well.....Unplug the computer....press the power button...locate the CMOS jumper, move to the clear position...check all the capacitors on the motherboard for buldged tops....wait 10minutes....move the CMOS jumper back to operational...plug in the computer...press the power button.

Problem that follows after a fresh install(and a real format) generally is not the OS /software unless you keep reinstalling something not needed to check this issue prior to checking the issue...IE SKYPE or another program that is infact already infected.

When you did the REINSTALL, did you install the AMD PROCESSOR DRIVER or the AMD DUAL-CORE OPTIMIZER?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/14/2012 12:46 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='14 April 2012 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1334407611' post='1396231']

[/quote]

Wow, in all my time messing with computers, ive never heard of a processor driver... installing now before i check anything else.
[quote name='Greybear' date='14 April 2012 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1334407611' post='1396231']

Wow, in all my time messing with computers, ive never heard of a processor driver... installing now before i check anything else.

Posted 04/16/2012 07:38 AM   
Damn cpu is still spiking. That cpu driver was the fist practical solution ive heard about this. ah well.

I assembled this comp around late 2009. Had to have been months later when i saw my first frame loss in game (left 4 dead), but it wasn't a big problem then: a simple restart fixed it. It didn't happen again for months; and when i did see it again it was easily fixed with another restart. It was like that until a month ago when the spikes became more frequent and could now stay at 100% usage out of game. Now i cant play a game without the spikes happening... which sucks, because I dont have the immediate cash to get new hardware.

As far as formatting, i did happen to use the longer formatting option. Good thing because i didnt know that about quick fomatting. Ive only installed basic software so far.

Far as hardware i upgraded my video card last week and saw no change. i also unplugged an extra HD and an external HD , to see no change. I heard that it might be an underpowered PSU, but 500w..... with other HDs unplugged. no change.

I haven't messed with a CMOS jumper or capacitors since high school (you can pretty much say that i have no experience with that method of trouble shooting) so I'm kinda hesitant to try that option. I'm hoping i dont have to solder or get a new mobo any time soon. What kind of bulge would i be looking for? Just a cap thats sticking out awkwardly? No idea here.

Thanks for takin the time to reply. I appreciate it moreso with this ridiculous problem ive never had before.
Damn cpu is still spiking. That cpu driver was the fist practical solution ive heard about this. ah well.

I assembled this comp around late 2009. Had to have been months later when i saw my first frame loss in game (left 4 dead), but it wasn't a big problem then: a simple restart fixed it. It didn't happen again for months; and when i did see it again it was easily fixed with another restart. It was like that until a month ago when the spikes became more frequent and could now stay at 100% usage out of game. Now i cant play a game without the spikes happening... which sucks, because I dont have the immediate cash to get new hardware.

As far as formatting, i did happen to use the longer formatting option. Good thing because i didnt know that about quick fomatting. Ive only installed basic software so far.

Far as hardware i upgraded my video card last week and saw no change. i also unplugged an extra HD and an external HD , to see no change. I heard that it might be an underpowered PSU, but 500w..... with other HDs unplugged. no change.

I haven't messed with a CMOS jumper or capacitors since high school (you can pretty much say that i have no experience with that method of trouble shooting) so I'm kinda hesitant to try that option. I'm hoping i dont have to solder or get a new mobo any time soon. What kind of bulge would i be looking for? Just a cap thats sticking out awkwardly? No idea here.

Thanks for takin the time to reply. I appreciate it moreso with this ridiculous problem ive never had before.

Posted 04/16/2012 08:13 AM   
[quote]What kind of bulge would i be looking for? Just a cap thats sticking out awkwardly? No idea here.[/quote]
The tops of the caps should be perfectly flat, and there should be no indication the caps may be leaking eg- tan coloured residue on the caps.

[quote]Scanned with malware bytes, found 1 item but my computer kept shutting down before finishing... was kind of spooky [/quote]
Still worth considering. Have you ran Malware Bytes successfully yet, and was your AV scan a full boot time scan ?
What kind of bulge would i be looking for? Just a cap thats sticking out awkwardly? No idea here.

The tops of the caps should be perfectly flat, and there should be no indication the caps may be leaking eg- tan coloured residue on the caps.

Scanned with malware bytes, found 1 item but my computer kept shutting down before finishing... was kind of spooky

Still worth considering. Have you ran Malware Bytes successfully yet, and was your AV scan a full boot time scan ?

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/16/2012 09:58 AM   
As stated above, FLAT. Any buldge is a bad thing.

Download the ISO for Kaspersky Rescue CD 10, download IMGBurn, burn the ISO to a CD, then boot to it, make sure once in it that you have a network connection and download the updates...run that, see what it finds.

PSU's are trickier than just looking at the total wattage...The total wattage is not SHARED across all rails. It is partitioned and fixed on certain rails. So, if 1 rail is dieing, you get less power or no power from it, and it doesn't necessarily let the other rails have that power. One of the main reasons I only buy single 12v rail PSU's.

So, PSU is not truely out of the water, so to speak.
As stated above, FLAT. Any buldge is a bad thing.

Download the ISO for Kaspersky Rescue CD 10, download IMGBurn, burn the ISO to a CD, then boot to it, make sure once in it that you have a network connection and download the updates...run that, see what it finds.

PSU's are trickier than just looking at the total wattage...The total wattage is not SHARED across all rails. It is partitioned and fixed on certain rails. So, if 1 rail is dieing, you get less power or no power from it, and it doesn't necessarily let the other rails have that power. One of the main reasons I only buy single 12v rail PSU's.

So, PSU is not truely out of the water, so to speak.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 04/16/2012 01:08 PM   
Trying not to get frustrated... tried a scan in kaspersky 10 graphics mode, i updated the data base fine, but the scan seems to always crash seconds after i start it. If i reopen the rescue disk scan window it says malfunction unknown? ........

tried a scan in textmode. disk boot scans dont even run a full second before closing. And all other scans seem to stop before 100%
Trying not to get frustrated... tried a scan in kaspersky 10 graphics mode, i updated the data base fine, but the scan seems to always crash seconds after i start it. If i reopen the rescue disk scan window it says malfunction unknown? ........

tried a scan in textmode. disk boot scans dont even run a full second before closing. And all other scans seem to stop before 100%

Posted 04/16/2012 07:14 PM   
I would venture then that you have a bad Sector on your HD or an error with the HD.

Double click MY COMPUTER > Right Click the HD > Properties > Tools > Error-Checking > Check both boxes and run.
I would venture then that you have a bad Sector on your HD or an error with the HD.

Double click MY COMPUTER > Right Click the HD > Properties > Tools > Error-Checking > Check both boxes and run.

Posted 04/17/2012 12:38 AM   
Ran the tool.

Even after that, still spiking.

dunno if this is cooincidence but ive ALT TABBED out of skyrim several times now and had my CPU usage go back to normal. course it spikes when i TAB back in though. dunno if thats better since that type of thing might not happen tommorow
Ran the tool.

Even after that, still spiking.

dunno if this is cooincidence but ive ALT TABBED out of skyrim several times now and had my CPU usage go back to normal. course it spikes when i TAB back in though. dunno if thats better since that type of thing might not happen tommorow

Posted 04/17/2012 05:12 AM   
How do those CAPACITORS look?

What PSU do you have?
How do those CAPACITORS look?

What PSU do you have?

Posted 04/17/2012 08:53 AM   
[b]Capacitors[/b] look all in place.

I've got a cooler master extreme 500w.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738

I just tried taking out one [b]memory stick[/b], and I was able to run [b]skyrim [/b]fine for an hour... but my [b]cpu [/b]kept [b]spiking [/b]after that. I almost thought it was fixed. Grrr...

I was wondering. My [b]heatsink[/b] gets hot to the touch is that normal? If I kept my finger there it would definitely get roasted to hell. I've never really touched my other [b]heatsinks [/b]while they were running.
Capacitors look all in place.

I've got a cooler master extreme 500w.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3738

I just tried taking out one memory stick, and I was able to run skyrim fine for an hour... but my cpu kept spiking after that. I almost thought it was fixed. Grrr...

I was wondering. My heatsink gets hot to the touch is that normal? If I kept my finger there it would definitely get roasted to hell. I've never really touched my other heatsinks while they were running.

Posted 04/18/2012 12:33 AM   
Its not how hot the heatsink gets, its how cool its able to keep the CPU. Check the temps via a Hardware monitoring program...

Switch those two sticks and try the same test. What it is tellng me is that your issue seemed better with less ram, which should have actually slowed the system performance (IMO), so, I am still leaning toward the PSU.

Its a 500watt, 2rail 12v, 18a per....which is basically the bare minimum for that GPU....I would suggest trying another PSU if you have one...If not, I would suggest using a different GPU to test it with, but not something 2xx or newer for the test.

Its not how hot the heatsink gets, its how cool its able to keep the CPU. Check the temps via a Hardware monitoring program...

Switch those two sticks and try the same test. What it is tellng me is that your issue seemed better with less ram, which should have actually slowed the system performance (IMO), so, I am still leaning toward the PSU.

Its a 500watt, 2rail 12v, 18a per....which is basically the bare minimum for that GPU....I would suggest trying another PSU if you have one...If not, I would suggest using a different GPU to test it with, but not something 2xx or newer for the test.

Posted 04/18/2012 01:03 AM   
I remember checking the temps of my cpu with CPUID yesterday, and it was either 45 degrees or 65. I remember it didn't alarm me.

I'll try swapping mem sticks, but they're both 2GB sticks and look the same... I prolly swapped them already, but whatever I'll swap em again, I'm out of ideas.

Though it seems like it's all boiling down to buying new hardware, which means waiting a handful of months =/ I'm kinda set on having my next upgrade be an upgrade to everything. Blah... just another one of those points in life when ur patience is put to work.

Thanks a lot for your help man. I remember people that help when they don't have to.
I remember checking the temps of my cpu with CPUID yesterday, and it was either 45 degrees or 65. I remember it didn't alarm me.

I'll try swapping mem sticks, but they're both 2GB sticks and look the same... I prolly swapped them already, but whatever I'll swap em again, I'm out of ideas.

Though it seems like it's all boiling down to buying new hardware, which means waiting a handful of months =/ I'm kinda set on having my next upgrade be an upgrade to everything. Blah... just another one of those points in life when ur patience is put to work.

Thanks a lot for your help man. I remember people that help when they don't have to.

Posted 04/18/2012 03:02 AM   
Just tested this thing again with 1 RAM STICK, my old GPU (GeForce 9600GT), extra FANs in my tower unplugged, and with my CD/DVD drive unplugged. Still spiking.

Also, if this helps narrow things down, If I shut my computer off for 20 minutes or so, I can play for about an hour before the spikes start happening.
Just tested this thing again with 1 RAM STICK, my old GPU (GeForce 9600GT), extra FANs in my tower unplugged, and with my CD/DVD drive unplugged. Still spiking.

Also, if this helps narrow things down, If I shut my computer off for 20 minutes or so, I can play for about an hour before the spikes start happening.

Posted 04/18/2012 08:12 AM   
With the changes, was it still spiking just as fast as normal, or better like the previous where you thought it might be fixed?

Enter you BIOS, vidn the Information screen about the RAM, what Timings and voltage does it say its running in there?

I'm gonna ask you to clear the CMOS as previously requested.

Then recheck that same information again.

On the RAM itself should be a sticker with the Make and model, what does it say?
With the changes, was it still spiking just as fast as normal, or better like the previous where you thought it might be fixed?

Enter you BIOS, vidn the Information screen about the RAM, what Timings and voltage does it say its running in there?

I'm gonna ask you to clear the CMOS as previously requested.

Then recheck that same information again.

On the RAM itself should be a sticker with the Make and model, what does it say?

Posted 04/19/2012 12:49 AM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top