Final Fantasy XIV Unable to detect directx
  1 / 6    
EVGA GTX 680 crashes inside cities uldah / gridania , full screen or window mode, saying that it was unable to detect directx. Tried both drivers available.

Game is set to full settings.

Need a driver fix ASAP!!

Specs:

X79 i7 4.2ghz
16gb ram
SSD 256gb
Asus monitor 24" 1920 1080 60hz
Gtx 680 evga

Using hdmi cable for connection between video card and monitor.

Gtx 680 replaced gtx 580 which had no problems at all with final fantasy xiv.
I have the latest directx 9 installed from Microsoft.com
EVGA GTX 680 crashes inside cities uldah / gridania , full screen or window mode, saying that it was unable to detect directx. Tried both drivers available.

Game is set to full settings.

Need a driver fix ASAP!!

Specs:

X79 i7 4.2ghz

16gb ram

SSD 256gb

Asus monitor 24" 1920 1080 60hz

Gtx 680 evga

Using hdmi cable for connection between video card and monitor.

Gtx 680 replaced gtx 580 which had no problems at all with final fantasy xiv.

I have the latest directx 9 installed from Microsoft.com

Posted 04/13/2012 09:23 PM   
I'm having the exact same issue with my eVGA 680. Came from an XFX 5870 with no issues at all.

Posted over at [H] I'll just paste it here:

My EVGA 680 is giving me some issues, the thing seems to constantly crash and go into kernel mode then recover when playing FFXIV

I'm running 3 monitors at the moment and have tried 2 clean total Windows reformats, one with the April Beta Drivers and one with the official March Drivers, all with updated drivers for my Maximus Extreme-z. My 5870 gave me absolutely no issues when running with the same configuration for a few months.

So far I've turned power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" in the nVidia control panel, as well as gone as far as to only install the bare minimum with the nVidia drivers (no HDMI audio or PhysX) and still the problem persists. It seems to be significantly worse when playing flash content while playing something. I've tried different resolutions as well as fullscreen and Windowed mode to the games giving me the issues. It never seems to crash while on the desktop, only when playing a game.

My monitor setup is 2x Shimian 2560x1440 monitors with a Samsung T240 1920x1200. I play only using a single Shimian for gaming, the rest for just extended desktop viewing. Any ideas? I know Final Fantasy XIV is pretty obscure for how awful it is, but maybe someone has a similar setup that does the same?

Edit:
I forgot to add, I've been watching the temps and they don't seem to go above 75 with my fan set at 75% I have not overclocked this card at all. Also I've tried disconnecting the 1920x1200 resolution display as well.
I'm having the exact same issue with my eVGA 680. Came from an XFX 5870 with no issues at all.

Posted over at [H] I'll just paste it here:

My EVGA 680 is giving me some issues, the thing seems to constantly crash and go into kernel mode then recover when playing FFXIV

I'm running 3 monitors at the moment and have tried 2 clean total Windows reformats, one with the April Beta Drivers and one with the official March Drivers, all with updated drivers for my Maximus Extreme-z. My 5870 gave me absolutely no issues when running with the same configuration for a few months.

So far I've turned power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" in the nVidia control panel, as well as gone as far as to only install the bare minimum with the nVidia drivers (no HDMI audio or PhysX) and still the problem persists. It seems to be significantly worse when playing flash content while playing something. I've tried different resolutions as well as fullscreen and Windowed mode to the games giving me the issues. It never seems to crash while on the desktop, only when playing a game.

My monitor setup is 2x Shimian 2560x1440 monitors with a Samsung T240 1920x1200. I play only using a single Shimian for gaming, the rest for just extended desktop viewing. Any ideas? I know Final Fantasy XIV is pretty obscure for how awful it is, but maybe someone has a similar setup that does the same?

Edit:

I forgot to add, I've been watching the temps and they don't seem to go above 75 with my fan set at 75% I have not overclocked this card at all. Also I've tried disconnecting the 1920x1200 resolution display as well.

Posted 04/13/2012 10:10 PM   
I'm getting the same thing no matter what I do.. I have tried all drivers even beta ones. Bare bones. Still get the error. If anyone finds out how to fix it post plz. Or nvidia make us a FFXIV patch.... Something.. Also when I'm in the main towns if you hit config. system and limit frame to 30 it helps it from crashing.... Hope that helps. /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />
I'm getting the same thing no matter what I do.. I have tried all drivers even beta ones. Bare bones. Still get the error. If anyone finds out how to fix it post plz. Or nvidia make us a FFXIV patch.... Something.. Also when I'm in the main towns if you hit config. system and limit frame to 30 it helps it from crashing.... Hope that helps. /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

Posted 04/16/2012 04:35 PM   
Nvidia says it can't reproduce the error. To reproduce it, you need to be inside the cities, uldah, gridania, limsa lominsa with AO and DOF on and max settings, and you will lose directx at some point. Outside the cities I didn't get the crash.
Nvidia says it can't reproduce the error. To reproduce it, you need to be inside the cities, uldah, gridania, limsa lominsa with AO and DOF on and max settings, and you will lose directx at some point. Outside the cities I didn't get the crash.

Posted 04/16/2012 05:02 PM   
Yeah man I'm with you if they want videos I can post we should all post it.... do it with are phones or something I don't think fraps will work but we can try that to. But did you try the frame limit to 30? Does it slow down to a craw then crash like mine?
Yeah man I'm with you if they want videos I can post we should all post it.... do it with are phones or something I don't think fraps will work but we can try that to. But did you try the frame limit to 30? Does it slow down to a craw then crash like mine?

Posted 04/16/2012 05:08 PM   
I reproduced it in a 21min video. Logging in, till the directx error 21min later. Gonna upload it tonight. 3.3 gb
I reproduced it in a 21min video. Logging in, till the directx error 21min later. Gonna upload it tonight. 3.3 gb

Posted 04/16/2012 07:00 PM   
[quote name='Templar420' date='16 April 2012 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1334596105' post='1397102']
[/quote]

I recorded it with the iPhone. Although it's 1080p, expect a not so good quality because of shaking and the usual flickering while recording a monitor. Although, you can see clearly the settings I'm using and the screen going black then directx error at min 21. Gonna upload it when I get home from work. I play at 60 fps always. Never tried 30 fps with the ingame settings.
[quote name='Templar420' date='16 April 2012 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1334596105' post='1397102']

I recorded it with the iPhone. Although it's 1080p, expect a not so good quality because of shaking and the usual flickering while recording a monitor. Although, you can see clearly the settings I'm using and the screen going black then directx error at min 21. Gonna upload it when I get home from work. I play at 60 fps always. Never tried 30 fps with the ingame settings.

Posted 04/17/2012 12:33 AM   
[quote name='incinera' date='16 April 2012 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1334622798' post='1397259']
[/quote]

I did that and windowed mode it helps on my setup.
[quote name='incinera' date='16 April 2012 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1334622798' post='1397259']

I did that and windowed mode it helps on my setup.

Posted 04/17/2012 12:39 AM   
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update and confirm, this problem [i]ONLY[/i] happens in cities. I've been playing in Windowed mode for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. I'll try the 30FPS change and see if that fixes the issue.
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update and confirm, this problem ONLY happens in cities. I've been playing in Windowed mode for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. I'll try the 30FPS change and see if that fixes the issue.

Posted 04/17/2012 01:51 AM   
[quote name='ChristmasGT' date='16 April 2012 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1334627504' post='1397301']
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update and confirm, this problem [i]ONLY[/i] happens in cities. I've been playing in Windowed mode for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. I'll try the 30FPS change and see if that fixes the issue.
[/quote]

If you do that it will not crash as much. Also look at you gtx 680 temps. Make sure it does not go above 60 Celsius.
[quote name='ChristmasGT' date='16 April 2012 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1334627504' post='1397301']

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to update and confirm, this problem ONLY happens in cities. I've been playing in Windowed mode for a few weeks and it didn't seem to help. I'll try the 30FPS change and see if that fixes the issue.

If you do that it will not crash as much. Also look at you gtx 680 temps. Make sure it does not go above 60 Celsius.

Posted 04/17/2012 01:55 AM   
I uploaded the video yesterday and for my "surprise" , youtube removed due to being 21min instead of 15min.. did some edit, removing 5 min of me walking gridania, which didnt affect the reproduction of the crash, to fit the 15min window that youtube allow. ATM im uploading it. hope in 2 hours is done. gonna post the link soon. Hope someone that is in contact with the TEch team can pass the link to them, since they are having a hard time reproducing it.
I uploaded the video yesterday and for my "surprise" , youtube removed due to being 21min instead of 15min.. did some edit, removing 5 min of me walking gridania, which didnt affect the reproduction of the crash, to fit the 15min window that youtube allow. ATM im uploading it. hope in 2 hours is done. gonna post the link soon. Hope someone that is in contact with the TEch team can pass the link to them, since they are having a hard time reproducing it.

Posted 04/17/2012 01:08 PM   
Post the link ASAP. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
Post the link ASAP. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
There you go. Again, sorry for the quality. ( you tube decreased it too.) If you watch it completely, it will show my settings, outside game, ingame , and then after 21 min, me crashing in uldah, while selling some stuff. Since i didint get a crash in gridania this time, i moved to uldah, did some walking and stopped by the NPC to sell. Then it crashed after a while. i got crashes before in gridania, limsa (while standing by), uldah, and twice, at uldah standing still, which one is reprodroduced in the video. i dont know if it is because the video card boosts or not. i noticed that it increases fan load before crash, then black screen , then goes back to the windows saying Unable to get directx. the crash is at the end of the video. I hope someone pass the link to the devs so that they can reproduce and provide a fix to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJRleybmVk&feature=youtube_gdata
There you go. Again, sorry for the quality. ( you tube decreased it too.) If you watch it completely, it will show my settings, outside game, ingame , and then after 21 min, me crashing in uldah, while selling some stuff. Since i didint get a crash in gridania this time, i moved to uldah, did some walking and stopped by the NPC to sell. Then it crashed after a while. i got crashes before in gridania, limsa (while standing by), uldah, and twice, at uldah standing still, which one is reprodroduced in the video. i dont know if it is because the video card boosts or not. i noticed that it increases fan load before crash, then black screen , then goes back to the windows saying Unable to get directx. the crash is at the end of the video. I hope someone pass the link to the devs so that they can reproduce and provide a fix to this.

Posted 04/17/2012 04:32 PM   
What are your specs guys?

I5 2500k oc 5ghz
H80 water cooled
P8p67 deluxe Asus mob with latest bios
8GB ram 1600
1k psu
Gtx 680 main
Gtx 470 physx (don't use it on this game)
Windows 7 pro

Everything max ao off
What are your specs guys?

I5 2500k oc 5ghz

H80 water cooled

P8p67 deluxe Asus mob with latest bios

8GB ram 1600

1k psu

Gtx 680 main

Gtx 470 physx (don't use it on this game)

Windows 7 pro

Everything max ao off

Posted 04/17/2012 04:34 PM   
Thank you all. I have updated your information to our QA team.
Thank you all. I have updated your information to our QA team.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 04/18/2012 01:53 PM   
  1 / 6    
Scroll To Top