Are these ratings normal?
  1 / 2    
[img]http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/04/13/2ht.png[/img][img]http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/04/13/hx5.png[/img]
I just got a Leadtek 9600GTX from my cousing (he just bought a shiny GTX580) and installed it on my PC. I'm currently getting 90 Degrees Celsius at idle state and around 145 Degrees Celsius at Load state. Game work fine but sometimes the computer automatically powers off. I think it is due to the temperature, any solutions?
ImageImage

I just got a Leadtek 9600GTX from my cousing (he just bought a shiny GTX580) and installed it on my PC. I'm currently getting 90 Degrees Celsius at idle state and around 145 Degrees Celsius at Load state. Game work fine but sometimes the computer automatically powers off. I think it is due to the temperature, any solutions?

Posted 04/13/2012 03:21 PM   
If those temps are accurate, you're killing the card!

What's the case airflow like?
Is the GPU fan actually spinning?
Did he ever remove the heatsink and put it back on?

First thing is to check that the fan is actually working. Then try to blow out any dust from the heatsink.
What case are you using? - you may have to adjust the position of some of your case fans / add more to ensure good air flow to the GPU.
Or it may get more technical and you'll need to redo the thermal paste /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />
If those temps are accurate, you're killing the card!

What's the case airflow like?

Is the GPU fan actually spinning?

Did he ever remove the heatsink and put it back on?

First thing is to check that the fan is actually working. Then try to blow out any dust from the heatsink.

What case are you using? - you may have to adjust the position of some of your case fans / add more to ensure good air flow to the GPU.

Or it may get more technical and you'll need to redo the thermal paste /confused.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':confused:' />

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

GPU-Z CPU-Z Ccleaner Driversweeper OCCT

Posted 04/13/2012 05:06 PM   
The GPU Fan is running all right. Well i was on a tight budget when i assembled this PC, so basically everything is just stock with the following specs :

Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k
CORSAIR 4GB XMS3 1600Mhz
Asus P8H67M-PRO
Cooler Master Elite 343
Cooler Master Elite 460W SMPS
Leadtek 9600 GTX Extreme
Seagate 250GB HDD

There's a stock fan at the front and an exhaust fan at the rear as shown in the images attached
The GPU Fan is running all right. Well i was on a tight budget when i assembled this PC, so basically everything is just stock with the following specs :

Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k

CORSAIR 4GB XMS3 1600Mhz

Asus P8H67M-PRO

Cooler Master Elite 343

Cooler Master Elite 460W SMPS

Leadtek 9600 GTX Extreme

Seagate 250GB HDD

There's a stock fan at the front and an exhaust fan at the rear as shown in the images attached

Posted 04/13/2012 05:39 PM   
Delta is right - if those temperatures are correct and you keep running it like that, it won't be long till that card is dead. To give you an idea, officially the maximum operating temperature for that card is 105*C. You should ideally be in the 80-90*C range only when the card is running at full load.

You really need to see what you can do to improve the airflow in and out of that case, and get a can of compressed air to clean out that card. Until you have done that I really wouldn't use that computer for anything demanding, if at all until you get those temperatures down.
Delta is right - if those temperatures are correct and you keep running it like that, it won't be long till that card is dead. To give you an idea, officially the maximum operating temperature for that card is 105*C. You should ideally be in the 80-90*C range only when the card is running at full load.

You really need to see what you can do to improve the airflow in and out of that case, and get a can of compressed air to clean out that card. Until you have done that I really wouldn't use that computer for anything demanding, if at all until you get those temperatures down.

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 04/13/2012 05:47 PM   
That cards looks so dusty. A good clean up won't hurt.
That cards looks so dusty. A good clean up won't hurt.

Posted 04/13/2012 06:10 PM   
Even a dry duster would help (never use water lol - sounds kinda dumb, but you'd be suprised...)

If you don't have / cannot get a can of compressed air, a hoover / vacuum cleaner can help shift the bulk of the dust.

Additional
You may want to ties those wires up a bit - should improve ait flow, but it'll also ensure they don't get caught in one of the fans (Bad /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> )
Also, you could pop out the blanking plate below the GPU - thay should help it get rid of warm air a little better
Even a dry duster would help (never use water lol - sounds kinda dumb, but you'd be suprised...)

If you don't have / cannot get a can of compressed air, a hoover / vacuum cleaner can help shift the bulk of the dust.

Additional

You may want to ties those wires up a bit - should improve ait flow, but it'll also ensure they don't get caught in one of the fans (Bad /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> )

Also, you could pop out the blanking plate below the GPU - thay should help it get rid of warm air a little better

I knew I hadn't imagined it... now it's deleted = people will never know what I hadn't imagined...

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Posted 04/13/2012 07:18 PM   
Wow... You need to disassemble the unit, clean the heatsink and fan from dust, and re-apply new thermal paste... I'm surprised the GPU is still alive !!
Wow... You need to disassemble the unit, clean the heatsink and fan from dust, and re-apply new thermal paste... I'm surprised the GPU is still alive !!

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 04/13/2012 07:51 PM   
[img]http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/04/14/ax5.png[/img][attachment=25277:14042012067.jpg][attachment=25278:14042012068.jpg][attachment=25279:14042012071.jpg][attachment=25280:14042012075.jpg][attachment=25281:14042012076.jpg]

Well i used a blower to clean the heatsink as you can show in the picture but i couldn't find some thermal paste anywhere nearby so i couldn't replace the thermal paste.(I would be going out today to get some) I noticed a small drop of 5 Degree After Cleaning the heatsink. Pictures of the disassembled GPU attached before i cleaned it:-)

Could you guys give me some other ideas while i'm out getting some thermal paste?
Image[attachment=25277:14042012067.jpg][attachment=25278:14042012068.jpg][attachment=25279:14042012071.jpg][attachment=25280:14042012075.jpg][attachment=25281:14042012076.jpg]

Well i used a blower to clean the heatsink as you can show in the picture but i couldn't find some thermal paste anywhere nearby so i couldn't replace the thermal paste.(I would be going out today to get some) I noticed a small drop of 5 Degree After Cleaning the heatsink. Pictures of the disassembled GPU attached before i cleaned it:-)

Could you guys give me some other ideas while i'm out getting some thermal paste?

Posted 04/14/2012 10:38 AM   
Thermal pads for the RAM module. I used 120x20mm - 1.0mm thick thermal pads for my GTX295. Stock ones where dried out /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Oh, and something to clean the GPU, RAM, and heatsink ! I use 96% ethanol, but other use ArtiClean products /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
Thermal pads for the RAM module. I used 120x20mm - 1.0mm thick thermal pads for my GTX295. Stock ones where dried out /blarg.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':/' />

Oh, and something to clean the GPU, RAM, and heatsink ! I use 96% ethanol, but other use ArtiClean products /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Posted 04/14/2012 10:44 AM   
O_o you put it back together WITHOUT replacing the paste? I'm REALLY surprised it's still alive after all this.

Redo the paste, you should be runnin' a lot cooler in no time.
O_o you put it back together WITHOUT replacing the paste? I'm REALLY surprised it's still alive after all this.

Redo the paste, you should be runnin' a lot cooler in no time.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 04/14/2012 06:58 PM   
Hehe. These are the highest reported gpu temps I've seen. I bet the sensor was broken
Hehe. These are the highest reported gpu temps I've seen. I bet the sensor was broken

8130p @ 5.1Ghz : GTX 570 x2 - cuda workstation

i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz : GTX 570 - itx media pc

Posted 04/14/2012 11:29 PM   
Maybe Luke, maybe... At the very least, it's probably good that he's stripped it down and given it a clean / new pads & paste - should keep it running a lot longer
Maybe Luke, maybe... At the very least, it's probably good that he's stripped it down and given it a clean / new pads & paste - should keep it running a lot longer

Posted 04/15/2012 12:09 AM   
I find it hard to believe that the GPU would idle at 88c unless the GPU or sensor is faulty (or you have your PC outside baking in the sun, LOL). Just doesn't make any sense. Is the card extremely hot when you touch it after powering off your PC? If not, the sensor is likely at fault.

If it really is getting that hot and you've verified the fan is working and the TIM is correctly applied, the cards VRM's could be faulty.
I find it hard to believe that the GPU would idle at 88c unless the GPU or sensor is faulty (or you have your PC outside baking in the sun, LOL). Just doesn't make any sense. Is the card extremely hot when you touch it after powering off your PC? If not, the sensor is likely at fault.

If it really is getting that hot and you've verified the fan is working and the TIM is correctly applied, the cards VRM's could be faulty.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 04/15/2012 04:13 AM   
Cant be accurate temps, the thing would shut down way before 145 degrees !
Cant be accurate temps, the thing would shut down way before 145 degrees !

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Intel i7 980X @4.6 ghz 24/7 1.39v, 6 GB Dom GT CL7, Tri channel, EK'd Asus GTX 680 Sli , Displays : 3 X Hanns-G HG281D 2D Surround, Case, Xigmatek Elysium, Corsair AX 1200W, Win 7 64, 2 x Crucial C300 128gb 6gb/s SSDs Raid 0, 2 x 300 gig WD velociraptors Raid 0, 64 GB Crucial M4 non raid boot drive 6 g/bs, Asus Xonar DX2 Sound, Roccat Kave 5:1 Headset, Track IR Pro, Noctua and TFC Triebwewrk fans controled by Lamptron FC6 black and Zalman ZM-FC1Plus black, Roccat Isku K/B, Steelseries Sensei mouse, Logitech G27 wheel, Custom water cooling, EK FB RE3 full board block , Black Ice GTX 480 Extreme Quad, Black Ice GTX Extreme 360, both rads running TFC Triebwerk mid speeds, Dual loop 3 D5 pumps.

Posted 04/15/2012 04:09 PM   
Makes me wonder. Thermal paste should be all "fried-like-dark-brown" @ those temps.
Makes me wonder. Thermal paste should be all "fried-like-dark-brown" @ those temps.

Posted 04/15/2012 04:48 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top