Laptop Screen refusing to use Nvidia card
Hi!

[b]The full story[/b]

-------

I have a Dell L702x with i5-2430M and GeForce GT 550M. A couple of days ago when I installed Steam (game software) I pressed for a setting, through steam, to update my Graphic drivers, it took me to Nvidia site and I downloaded the new driver, I guess it was 296.10 . The installation did not finish due to some error. Nvidia Control Panel did not work ( after the installation ) said
[b][i]You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU[/i][/b]. So I uninstalled it, and installed the old driver that Dell recommended specifically to my laptop, 285.77. Rebooted and Nvidia Control Panel worked again. But, the video settings did not work in Nvidia Control Panel. Before I could change the desktop color settings and that would change the images I viewed, and I could change the video settings and that would change the videos I was watching. Now, the desktop color settings changes both images and videos, like the video is not recognized, and the video settings dont work at all.
The interesting part about the whole mess is, when I connect to my TV through HDMI cable, the video settings worked but only on the TV screen. When I switched back to only laptop screen the video settings did not work. It took me very long time to realize the propabal cause. When I looked in Nvidia Control Panel on Setup Multiple Displays, I saw this : [url="http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1474/nvidiad.jpg"]Screen shot[/url]
That my laptop Screen uses Intel HD 3000, and my TV uses Geforce 550M, and because of that, that my TV uses the 550M the video settings work, and because the laptop screen uses Intel, the Nvidia Control Panel does/can not affect. This is what I think is the problem, that my Laptop screen wont use Nvidia card, and this happend during a driver install. Another thing that supports this is that before I could never have the TV showing my desktop/folders etc. and my laptop screen showing the same. I could only choose between either the TV showed everything and my Laptop screen just showed the Background (wallpaper) or vice versa.

-------

[b]The shorter version[/b]

-------

The video settings on the Nvidia Control Panel does not work with my Laptop Screen, I belive my Laptop is prevented to use the Nvidia graphic card and stucks on Intel HD 3000 and therefore the video settings does not work, although the desktop color settings work. I need help getting the video settings to work again/get my laptop screen to use Nvidia graphics instead of Intel.

-------

[b]What I have tested[/b]

I have installed and uninstalled both Nvidia Drivers and Intel HD Graphic drivers in every way possible, both old and new and everytime I uninstalled I used Driver Sweeper, I have done everything in Safe Mode and in regular Boot. I have also used a Registry Cleaner (ARO 2012) before any installation, CCleaner and other software doing the same thing. I have tried to disable/uninstall Intel Hd Graphics 3000 before any Nvidia driver intsall but that would just send my resolution to VGA compatible mode and the Nvidia install complains that I must install Intel Graphics to continue.
I have tried different video players, MPC and VLC, the same thing there.

[i]Please, as human being to another, Iam sure everybody has had these hard times, when you skipped work/studies/meetings just to fix a computer issue, and it took you weeks trying to solve it, Iam pleading to that side of you who feels the sympathy. Please, help me with this. How can I get the Video settings to work and what I belive, getting my Laptop Display/Screen/Monitor to use the Geforce 550M.[/i]

Thank you
Hi!

The full story

-------

I have a Dell L702x with i5-2430M and GeForce GT 550M. A couple of days ago when I installed Steam (game software) I pressed for a setting, through steam, to update my Graphic drivers, it took me to Nvidia site and I downloaded the new driver, I guess it was 296.10 . The installation did not finish due to some error. Nvidia Control Panel did not work ( after the installation ) said

You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU. So I uninstalled it, and installed the old driver that Dell recommended specifically to my laptop, 285.77. Rebooted and Nvidia Control Panel worked again. But, the video settings did not work in Nvidia Control Panel. Before I could change the desktop color settings and that would change the images I viewed, and I could change the video settings and that would change the videos I was watching. Now, the desktop color settings changes both images and videos, like the video is not recognized, and the video settings dont work at all.

The interesting part about the whole mess is, when I connect to my TV through HDMI cable, the video settings worked but only on the TV screen. When I switched back to only laptop screen the video settings did not work. It took me very long time to realize the propabal cause. When I looked in Nvidia Control Panel on Setup Multiple Displays, I saw this : Screen shot

That my laptop Screen uses Intel HD 3000, and my TV uses Geforce 550M, and because of that, that my TV uses the 550M the video settings work, and because the laptop screen uses Intel, the Nvidia Control Panel does/can not affect. This is what I think is the problem, that my Laptop screen wont use Nvidia card, and this happend during a driver install. Another thing that supports this is that before I could never have the TV showing my desktop/folders etc. and my laptop screen showing the same. I could only choose between either the TV showed everything and my Laptop screen just showed the Background (wallpaper) or vice versa.

-------

The shorter version

-------

The video settings on the Nvidia Control Panel does not work with my Laptop Screen, I belive my Laptop is prevented to use the Nvidia graphic card and stucks on Intel HD 3000 and therefore the video settings does not work, although the desktop color settings work. I need help getting the video settings to work again/get my laptop screen to use Nvidia graphics instead of Intel.

-------

What I have tested

I have installed and uninstalled both Nvidia Drivers and Intel HD Graphic drivers in every way possible, both old and new and everytime I uninstalled I used Driver Sweeper, I have done everything in Safe Mode and in regular Boot. I have also used a Registry Cleaner (ARO 2012) before any installation, CCleaner and other software doing the same thing. I have tried to disable/uninstall Intel Hd Graphics 3000 before any Nvidia driver intsall but that would just send my resolution to VGA compatible mode and the Nvidia install complains that I must install Intel Graphics to continue.

I have tried different video players, MPC and VLC, the same thing there.

Please, as human being to another, Iam sure everybody has had these hard times, when you skipped work/studies/meetings just to fix a computer issue, and it took you weeks trying to solve it, Iam pleading to that side of you who feels the sympathy. Please, help me with this. How can I get the Video settings to work and what I belive, getting my Laptop Display/Screen/Monitor to use the Geforce 550M.

Thank you

Posted 04/13/2012 03:02 PM   
Scroll To Top