Fan noise with GT240 1GB DDR3 video card fan noise gt240
For the last couple of days, my video card has been making a noise that sounds as if something is touching the blades of the cooling fan on the card, like a piece of paper or a bit of wire, but I don't see anything coming up against the fan that would be making this sound. I know it's the video card, because with the case cover off, I can see when the video-card fan is turning, I hear the sound, when it isn't turning (so fast) I don't hear the sound. I even lightly touched the middle of the fan once, stopping it, and the noise stopped, and when I took my finger back away, and the fan started turning again, the sound came back.

I have blown out the fan multiple times this day with canned air, and all that happened was that for a while, the noise was different: It was more pronounced, but now seems to have settled back down to roughly the noise it was making before. There must be something down IN the fan enclosure, or something. Is it possible to get the plastic cover off the fan/heatsink easily, without affecting the rest of the assemblage? I.e., does that cover snap off and back on?

Are there other things I can do to deal with this?
For the last couple of days, my video card has been making a noise that sounds as if something is touching the blades of the cooling fan on the card, like a piece of paper or a bit of wire, but I don't see anything coming up against the fan that would be making this sound. I know it's the video card, because with the case cover off, I can see when the video-card fan is turning, I hear the sound, when it isn't turning (so fast) I don't hear the sound. I even lightly touched the middle of the fan once, stopping it, and the noise stopped, and when I took my finger back away, and the fan started turning again, the sound came back.

I have blown out the fan multiple times this day with canned air, and all that happened was that for a while, the noise was different: It was more pronounced, but now seems to have settled back down to roughly the noise it was making before. There must be something down IN the fan enclosure, or something. Is it possible to get the plastic cover off the fan/heatsink easily, without affecting the rest of the assemblage? I.e., does that cover snap off and back on?

Posted 04/13/2012 09:43 AM   
[quote name='Nomad of Norad' date='13 April 2012 - 02:43 AM' timestamp='1334310202' post='1395722']

[/quote]
Sounds like a mechanical failure. If your card is still in warranty, I'd have the manufacturer replace it. If not, I'd try to contact the manufacturer and see if there is any special procedure you have to follow to remove it since not all manufacturer(eVGA, MSI, PNY etc...) use the same heatsink/fan design.
What is the brand of the card?
[quote name='Nomad of Norad' date='13 April 2012 - 02:43 AM' timestamp='1334310202' post='1395722']

Sounds like a mechanical failure. If your card is still in warranty, I'd have the manufacturer replace it. If not, I'd try to contact the manufacturer and see if there is any special procedure you have to follow to remove it since not all manufacturer(eVGA, MSI, PNY etc...) use the same heatsink/fan design.

What is the brand of the card?

NVIDIA Techical Support

Posted 04/19/2012 12:12 AM   
I guess the brand must be EVGA. The box says 2 year warranty, but I think I've had it longer than that.

Anyway, someone else early on that I was chatting with online, when I described the issue, said he figured it might be a tiny piece of paper that got into where the fan is. I get the impression he'd had that problem at one point with the same or similar card. With him it was "a piece of confetti" or something similar.

Right now it's not making the noises. It makes the noise a lot more when I first power the machine on, though, and then the noise settles down around the time everything finishes launching.
I guess the brand must be EVGA. The box says 2 year warranty, but I think I've had it longer than that.

Anyway, someone else early on that I was chatting with online, when I described the issue, said he figured it might be a tiny piece of paper that got into where the fan is. I get the impression he'd had that problem at one point with the same or similar card. With him it was "a piece of confetti" or something similar.

Right now it's not making the noises. It makes the noise a lot more when I first power the machine on, though, and then the noise settles down around the time everything finishes launching.

Posted 04/19/2012 09:03 AM   
I'm not sure what the card looks like, but you could always take it apart enough to lubricate the fan with some 3-in-1 oil. If there's nothing physically causing the noise then that'll usually fix it. It may not be possible with that card, though. IDK.
I'm not sure what the card looks like, but you could always take it apart enough to lubricate the fan with some 3-in-1 oil. If there's nothing physically causing the noise then that'll usually fix it. It may not be possible with that card, though. IDK.

Posted 04/19/2012 04:02 PM   
Well, today I booted the machine and the noise during booting wasn't as bad. I could just about hear the paper-against-fan noise over the sound of other fans... and it wasn't a constant, steady sound.

Maybe it's correcting itself? The whatever-it-is working itself loose?
Well, today I booted the machine and the noise during booting wasn't as bad. I could just about hear the paper-against-fan noise over the sound of other fans... and it wasn't a constant, steady sound.

Maybe it's correcting itself? The whatever-it-is working itself loose?

Posted 04/19/2012 07:11 PM   
Scroll To Top