Driver version 296.10 has killed my graphics card?
Windows 7 64 bit
ASRock 890GX Extreme4
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W

I have had no problems with my video card and I updated my graphics card driver to the latest version 296.10 yesterday, I have also not changed any settings or graphics settings but today when I was playing a game I have also not had any issues with my computer would crash and turn off and afterwards when I restarted my computer my monitor was not detecting the graphics card and no picture was being displayed at all, I then tried to diagnose the problem by turning the computer off and re-seating the graphics card and unplugging the power connectors from it and reconnecting them then restarted my computer and still no picture being displayed but the fan on the graphics card was spinning, I then turned the computer off again and plugged the monitor into the motherboard DVI port and I was able to get picture and I tried checking to see if the graphics card was being displayed in device manager but the only display adapter being detected in device manager was the motherboard AGP graphics, I also tried to rescan for hardware changes and the graphics card would still not be detected. I also tried uninstalling the updated driver and reinstalling the previous driver but the driver installation program would not detect the graphics card. For one last try to be sure the graphics card driver update was the problem after I was able to use the onboard AGP graphics, I tried the graphics card port again and still would not get any picture from it. Anyone else having issues with this driver version?
Windows 7 64 bit

ASRock 890GX Extreme4

AMD Phenom II X4 965

Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W

I have had no problems with my video card and I updated my graphics card driver to the latest version 296.10 yesterday, I have also not changed any settings or graphics settings but today when I was playing a game I have also not had any issues with my computer would crash and turn off and afterwards when I restarted my computer my monitor was not detecting the graphics card and no picture was being displayed at all, I then tried to diagnose the problem by turning the computer off and re-seating the graphics card and unplugging the power connectors from it and reconnecting them then restarted my computer and still no picture being displayed but the fan on the graphics card was spinning, I then turned the computer off again and plugged the monitor into the motherboard DVI port and I was able to get picture and I tried checking to see if the graphics card was being displayed in device manager but the only display adapter being detected in device manager was the motherboard AGP graphics, I also tried to rescan for hardware changes and the graphics card would still not be detected. I also tried uninstalling the updated driver and reinstalling the previous driver but the driver installation program would not detect the graphics card. For one last try to be sure the graphics card driver update was the problem after I was able to use the onboard AGP graphics, I tried the graphics card port again and still would not get any picture from it. Anyone else having issues with this driver version?

Posted 04/12/2012 03:21 AM   
Drivers will not kill your card.
I assume you disconnected the power lead, and waited for the LED on the MOBO to go off (or waited about a minute if it does not have an LED) before you removed the card.
Generally, if you have the wrong driver package for your card, or OS it will not detect the card. I had that happen when I first got my GTX560ti. The 560ti had a driver of it's own back then (266.66 ? vs 266.68 for the rest).

The fact that you are only getting VGA graphics indicates the drivers (or the card) are not functioning properly, so start from the top and uninstall the drivers.
Do this via 'Programs and Features' and uninstall all components of the drivers including PhysX, 3D, Nvidia HD Audio and the Nvidia updater.
When you reinstall don't install any part of the package you don't use. If you are using HDMI you may want to install the Nvidia HD Audio, but you may have to disable your
Realtek on board audio or uninstall the Realtek drivers to avoid conflict (assuming there is still a conflict between the two).

Check - [url="http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555"]THIS[/url] - page for more information on driver installs.
Or - [url="http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1174372"]THIS[/url] - for a guide that covers even more angles.

Before updating drivers it is best to read the release notes to see if there are any beneficial optimisations for the games you are playing, otherwise - if it ain't broke....
I've not tried the 296.10, but the 295.73 are good, and before that the 275.33 were very good.

Drivers will not kill your card.

I assume you disconnected the power lead, and waited for the LED on the MOBO to go off (or waited about a minute if it does not have an LED) before you removed the card.

Generally, if you have the wrong driver package for your card, or OS it will not detect the card. I had that happen when I first got my GTX560ti. The 560ti had a driver of it's own back then (266.66 ? vs 266.68 for the rest).

The fact that you are only getting VGA graphics indicates the drivers (or the card) are not functioning properly, so start from the top and uninstall the drivers.

Do this via 'Programs and Features' and uninstall all components of the drivers including PhysX, 3D, Nvidia HD Audio and the Nvidia updater.

When you reinstall don't install any part of the package you don't use. If you are using HDMI you may want to install the Nvidia HD Audio, but you may have to disable your

Realtek on board audio or uninstall the Realtek drivers to avoid conflict (assuming there is still a conflict between the two).

Check - THIS - page for more information on driver installs.

Or - THIS - for a guide that covers even more angles.

Before updating drivers it is best to read the release notes to see if there are any beneficial optimisations for the games you are playing, otherwise - if it ain't broke....

I've not tried the 296.10, but the 295.73 are good, and before that the 275.33 were very good.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/12/2012 07:17 AM   
I have a GTX 570 card, I could only get video by plugging my monitor into the mobo dvi port and while I had no driver installed for the onboard vga graphics the computer was not detecting the graphics card, even tried using a different slot, I tried just installing a older driver for the graphics card and it kept saying no compatible hardware detected. I can not get any video from the graphics card having my monitor plugged into the card, not even the bios splash screen so I guess my only option is to send it in for repair.
I have a GTX 570 card, I could only get video by plugging my monitor into the mobo dvi port and while I had no driver installed for the onboard vga graphics the computer was not detecting the graphics card, even tried using a different slot, I tried just installing a older driver for the graphics card and it kept saying no compatible hardware detected. I can not get any video from the graphics card having my monitor plugged into the card, not even the bios splash screen so I guess my only option is to send it in for repair.

Posted 04/13/2012 12:46 AM   
I though you were referring to Windows VGA through the card in your OP. It is sounding like the card has died if you have no VGA through it. Strange coincidence re the timing with the driver update though.
I suppose the only other option is to test the card in another machine, or test the MOBO PCI-e with another card.
I though you were referring to Windows VGA through the card in your OP. It is sounding like the card has died if you have no VGA through it. Strange coincidence re the timing with the driver update though.

I suppose the only other option is to test the card in another machine, or test the MOBO PCI-e with another card.

BossDweebe is in his second childhood, or would be if he'd ever left the first.

Posted 04/13/2012 02:15 AM   
Scroll To Top