Nvidia support for MS Flight Simulator X VSync support in FSX
Hello,

There is quite a big community in Flight Simulator X world, and I wanted to point a question in this direction.

VSync has always been broken in windowed mode in FSX. In full screen there have never been problems, but since the new 1/2 refresh rate vsync, it has been discovered it does wonders for FSX.
But still, there is no single impact in windowed mode, it's simply as it doesn't even recognize FSX.
There is a way to force Vsync on the software side, but the problem is it is doing by cutting FPS from 30 to 20 then 15 etc. There are no 29-28-27 FPS...

Is it possible for Nvidia to remedy this situation with FSX? One big community would be extremely thankful, of that I am sure.

Thanks
Kosta
Hello,

There is quite a big community in Flight Simulator X world, and I wanted to point a question in this direction.

VSync has always been broken in windowed mode in FSX. In full screen there have never been problems, but since the new 1/2 refresh rate vsync, it has been discovered it does wonders for FSX.

But still, there is no single impact in windowed mode, it's simply as it doesn't even recognize FSX.

There is a way to force Vsync on the software side, but the problem is it is doing by cutting FPS from 30 to 20 then 15 etc. There are no 29-28-27 FPS...

Is it possible for Nvidia to remedy this situation with FSX? One big community would be extremely thankful, of that I am sure.

Thanks

Kosta

Posted 04/11/2012 10:03 PM   
D3DOverrider can enable Vsync for windowed mode apps.

The new half-refresh option in Nvidia drivers basically just waits every other display refresh to present a new frame. I don't even think it fits the whole concept of adaptive vsync.
D3DOverrider can enable Vsync for windowed mode apps.

The new half-refresh option in Nvidia drivers basically just waits every other display refresh to present a new frame. I don't even think it fits the whole concept of adaptive vsync.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 04/11/2012 11:07 PM   
D3DOverrider - no go. Added to the list, but when I open FSX, I get a black screen in the startup screen, also in the game.

I didn't mean directly the adaptive vsync, but the 1/2 refresh rate helps FSX immensly, due to being able to setting 30fps in FSX (FSX can't run 60fps due to being a huge resource hog). If standard 1/2 vsync is able to work in windowed, that would be great...
D3DOverrider - no go. Added to the list, but when I open FSX, I get a black screen in the startup screen, also in the game.

I didn't mean directly the adaptive vsync, but the 1/2 refresh rate helps FSX immensly, due to being able to setting 30fps in FSX (FSX can't run 60fps due to being a huge resource hog). If standard 1/2 vsync is able to work in windowed, that would be great...

Posted 04/12/2012 05:47 AM   
What is this 1/2 refresh rate thing you speak of? Do you mean adaptive vsynch?
What is this 1/2 refresh rate thing you speak of? Do you mean adaptive vsynch?

Asus P8P67 Pro | i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | 8 GB DDR3 1866 | Nvidia GTX760 SLI | Samsung 840 500GB SSD and WD 1TB | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Acer 3 X GD235HZ - Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Posted 04/12/2012 10:58 AM   
No, I'm talking about the standard vsync, the new driver + new nvidia inspector allows for setting of 1/2 refresh rate, basically limiting FSX to 30fps if the monitor refresh is 60hz. Works quite well. But only in full screen, where vsync is active including triple buffering.

D3DOverrider is supposed to do that, windowed with triple buffering and vsync, but only black screen appears, so, it's not working.

[u]We need desperately, if possible at all from Nvidia, a Standard Vsync working in the windowed mode of FSX (just like it's working in the full screen) or the new Adaptive Vsync working in windowed mode.[/u]
No, I'm talking about the standard vsync, the new driver + new nvidia inspector allows for setting of 1/2 refresh rate, basically limiting FSX to 30fps if the monitor refresh is 60hz. Works quite well. But only in full screen, where vsync is active including triple buffering.

D3DOverrider is supposed to do that, windowed with triple buffering and vsync, but only black screen appears, so, it's not working.

We need desperately, if possible at all from Nvidia, a Standard Vsync working in the windowed mode of FSX (just like it's working in the full screen) or the new Adaptive Vsync working in windowed mode.

Posted 04/12/2012 11:21 AM   
[quote name='astrodave' date='12 April 2012 - 06:58 AM' timestamp='1334228316' post='1395249']
Do you mean adaptive vsynch?
[/quote]

Nvidia calls it adaptive (half-refresh), but so far I have seen nothing "adaptive" about it. It's more like standard vsync but waiting every other refresh to display a new frame (which of course creates input lag something terrible).
[quote name='astrodave' date='12 April 2012 - 06:58 AM' timestamp='1334228316' post='1395249']

Do you mean adaptive vsynch?

Nvidia calls it adaptive (half-refresh), but so far I have seen nothing "adaptive" about it. It's more like standard vsync but waiting every other refresh to display a new frame (which of course creates input lag something terrible).

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 04/12/2012 05:52 PM   
Whatever they call it, it actually works wonders for FSX, making it super-smooth for locked 30 frames... FSX is not your everyday game. It's something quite different. And whatever the problem, we need that windowed vsync.
Whatever they call it, it actually works wonders for FSX, making it super-smooth for locked 30 frames... FSX is not your everyday game. It's something quite different. And whatever the problem, we need that windowed vsync.

Posted 04/12/2012 06:17 PM   
The limitations of vsync are with the Direct3D API itself, which is why Direct3D hooking/injection is the solution. I don't recall ever a time where Nvidia's vsync worked in windowed mode, and it probably never will.
The limitations of vsync are with the Direct3D API itself, which is why Direct3D hooking/injection is the solution. I don't recall ever a time where Nvidia's vsync worked in windowed mode, and it probably never will.

Posted 04/12/2012 06:48 PM   
Kosta says it's not adaptive vsynch and you say it is so what is this half refresh rate vsynch? One of you is seriously confused and making me that way. I think Kosta is causing confusion from what I'm gathering.
Kosta says it's not adaptive vsynch and you say it is so what is this half refresh rate vsynch? One of you is seriously confused and making me that way. I think Kosta is causing confusion from what I'm gathering.

Asus P8P67 Pro | i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | 8 GB DDR3 1866 | Nvidia GTX760 SLI | Samsung 840 500GB SSD and WD 1TB | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Acer 3 X GD235HZ - Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Posted 04/12/2012 07:18 PM   
Adaptive vsync is the type of vsync that deactivates when framerate falls below refresh rate, that is all.
Adaptive vsync is the type of vsync that deactivates when framerate falls below refresh rate, that is all.

Posted 04/12/2012 07:25 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='12 April 2012 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1334258700' post='1395448']
[/quote]

I [i]know[/i] that. We all know that. What we need is the vsync working in the windowed, any kind!
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='12 April 2012 - 08:25 PM' timestamp='1334258700' post='1395448']

I know that. We all know that. What we need is the vsync working in the windowed, any kind!

Posted 04/12/2012 09:43 PM   
[quote name='Kosta88' date='12 April 2012 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1334266994' post='1395510']
I [i]know[/i] that. We all know that.
[/quote]

Uh, then why are you guys so confused.
[quote name='Kosta88' date='12 April 2012 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1334266994' post='1395510']

I know that. We all know that.

Uh, then why are you guys so confused.

Posted 04/12/2012 09:48 PM   
I noticed on Flight Sim X that in the graphics options there is a target frame rate. i notice this seems to cap the frame rate. if i drag that to unlimited i was able to get way over 100FPS
I noticed on Flight Sim X that in the graphics options there is a target frame rate. i notice this seems to cap the frame rate. if i drag that to unlimited i was able to get way over 100FPS

Core I5 3570K @ 4.8GHz

Corsair H70

ASROCK Z77 Performace

G.skill 8GB DDR3-2133

Zotac GTX 680 AMP!

Creative Titanium Fatl1ty Champion Series

12X ASUS Blueray Burner

WD Caviar Black SATA III 1.5TB HDD

Seasonic X-1250 1250 watt powersupply

Cooler Master Storm Scout Case

Posted 04/13/2012 09:06 PM   
Limiting frame rate often helps increase smoothness and decrease input lag.
Limiting frame rate often helps increase smoothness and decrease input lag.

Posted 04/13/2012 09:29 PM   
I wasn't aware that we are confused.

Now, how about some reply from Nvidia?
I wasn't aware that we are confused.

Now, how about some reply from Nvidia?

Posted 04/13/2012 10:41 PM   
Scroll To Top