nvlddmkm.sys crashes Freezing, stuttering, crashing
So...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=65161

This thread was released exactly [u][b]three years[/b][/u] ago. Three years ago nVidia became aware of this issue with their cards. And yet, three years later there is no visible fix?

What gives? I'm using a GTX460 2Win from EVGA and I've had persistent crashes for nearly two months now.

I formatted my computer.
I updated every driver.
I tried various drivers for my GPU.
I ran stress tests for both GPU and memory, both of which passed.

And yet I'm still plagued with these issues. I just don't understand how nVidia is incompetent in resolving this issue after three years of time.

Before you ask, yes I am pissed. I've paid around $350 for this thing and it doesn't even work properly and there's no solution.
So...

This thread was released exactly three years ago. Three years ago nVidia became aware of this issue with their cards. And yet, three years later there is no visible fix?

What gives? I'm using a GTX460 2Win from EVGA and I've had persistent crashes for nearly two months now.

I formatted my computer.

I updated every driver.

And yet I'm still plagued with these issues. I just don't understand how nVidia is incompetent in resolving this issue after three years of time.

Before you ask, yes I am pissed. I've paid around $350 for this thing and it doesn't even work properly and there's no solution.

Posted 04/10/2012 04:58 AM   
[quote name='Zammyk' date='10 April 2012 - 05:58 AM' timestamp='1334033916' post='1394067']
So...

This thread was released exactly [u][b]three years[/b][/u] ago. Three years ago nVidia became aware of this issue with their cards. And yet, three years later there is no visible fix?

I formatted my computer.
I updated every driver.

[/quote]

In the nicest possible way - I think you need to actually read the topic you linked to. This is not an NVIDIA driver issue and never has been. TDR (Timeout, Detection & Recovery) is a fundamental service of Windows (post XP), and usually the reason for the error occurring has nothing to do with the drivers. Granted, there was a recent driver release which triggered the error for some users in particular scenarios, but this has been resolved. The thread linked in my signature can give you a lot more detail.

You are using a VERY niche card, something which was entirely of EVGA design rather than based on any NVIDIA reference design - for this reason, have you checked which driver set EVGA last officially certified for the card? As with any dual GPU card you should also check GPU temperatures. Also what power supply are you using?
[quote name='Zammyk' date='10 April 2012 - 05:58 AM' timestamp='1334033916' post='1394067']

So...

This thread was released exactly three years ago. Three years ago nVidia became aware of this issue with their cards. And yet, three years later there is no visible fix?

I formatted my computer.

I updated every driver.

In the nicest possible way - I think you need to actually read the topic you linked to. This is not an NVIDIA driver issue and never has been. TDR (Timeout, Detection & Recovery) is a fundamental service of Windows (post XP), and usually the reason for the error occurring has nothing to do with the drivers. Granted, there was a recent driver release which triggered the error for some users in particular scenarios, but this has been resolved. The thread linked in my signature can give you a lot more detail.

You are using a VERY niche card, something which was entirely of EVGA design rather than based on any NVIDIA reference design - for this reason, have you checked which driver set EVGA last officially certified for the card? As with any dual GPU card you should also check GPU temperatures. Also what power supply are you using?

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 04/10/2012 09:29 AM   
[quote name='jimbonbon' date='10 April 2012 - 04:29 AM' timestamp='1334050167' post='1394152']

[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply.

As for your question, no I haven't checked EVGA's drivers yet, so I'll do it right now. I must also say that I was quite frustrated when I made that post because I had a series of frequent crashes. With that said, my GPU runs around 40-45 degrees when idle. One card is usually closer to 40, while the other is closer to 45. When I play games my card goes up to 75 or so. (Also another thing, the voltage on one card is 1.025 and the other is 1.012, not sure if this is a problem or not)

As for the PSU, I'm running a Corsair 700w.

EDIT: I've been using nVidia cards all my life, so I didn't really bother researching the card beforehand because I've never had any sort of problems before.
[quote name='jimbonbon' date='10 April 2012 - 04:29 AM' timestamp='1334050167' post='1394152']

As for your question, no I haven't checked EVGA's drivers yet, so I'll do it right now. I must also say that I was quite frustrated when I made that post because I had a series of frequent crashes. With that said, my GPU runs around 40-45 degrees when idle. One card is usually closer to 40, while the other is closer to 45. When I play games my card goes up to 75 or so. (Also another thing, the voltage on one card is 1.025 and the other is 1.012, not sure if this is a problem or not)

EDIT: I've been using nVidia cards all my life, so I didn't really bother researching the card beforehand because I've never had any sort of problems before.

Posted 04/10/2012 07:16 PM   
Well, unfortunately EVGA is offering the exact same drivers that can be found on the nVidia driver update. Short of sending my card back (if I can even do that) is there anything else I can try?
Well, unfortunately EVGA is offering the exact same drivers that can be found on the nVidia driver update. Short of sending my card back (if I can even do that) is there anything else I can try?

Posted 04/11/2012 10:41 PM   
[quote name='Zammyk' date='10 April 2012 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1334085379' post='1394418']

[/quote]

[quote name='Zammyk' date='11 April 2012 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1334184078' post='1395072']
[/quote]

Hi Zammyk, sorry for the delay in responding.

Okay fair enough, it does look like they simply use the same as the NVIDIA release versions. I personally have never used the 460 2Win, although in theory it should be broadly similar to just having two GTX 460 cards in SLI. It is also a very cool looking card though - however putting two 460 GPUs in a single card was an EVGA only innovation, hence I referred to it as niche.

A 700W power supply is the minimum for that card, but as you are not overclocking and the issue is happening even when the card is not under load, I would be suprised if it is the PSU. Just to be sure, have you tried reseating the card and the power connectors? From the sound of the temperatures we can also probably rule out overheating as well, although it is worth double-checking your load temperatures as dual-GPU cards run pretty warm.

There is certainly the possibility of faulty hardware, so we really can't rule this out - has the card [u]ever[/u] worked without TDR errors? Also what drivers exactly have you tried, and is 296.10 one of them?
[quote name='Zammyk' date='10 April 2012 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1334085379' post='1394418']

[quote name='Zammyk' date='11 April 2012 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1334184078' post='1395072']

Okay fair enough, it does look like they simply use the same as the NVIDIA release versions. I personally have never used the 460 2Win, although in theory it should be broadly similar to just having two GTX 460 cards in SLI. It is also a very cool looking card though - however putting two 460 GPUs in a single card was an EVGA only innovation, hence I referred to it as niche.

A 700W power supply is the minimum for that card, but as you are not overclocking and the issue is happening even when the card is not under load, I would be suprised if it is the PSU. Just to be sure, have you tried reseating the card and the power connectors? From the sound of the temperatures we can also probably rule out overheating as well, although it is worth double-checking your load temperatures as dual-GPU cards run pretty warm.

There is certainly the possibility of faulty hardware, so we really can't rule this out - has the card ever worked without TDR errors? Also what drivers exactly have you tried, and is 296.10 one of them?

Official GeForce Forums Benchmarking Leaderboards
NVIDIA SLI Technology: A Canine's Guide

Corsair Obsidian 350D mATX, Asus Maximus VI GENE Z87 mATX, Intel Core i7-4770k @ 4.40GHz, Corsair H110, Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4GB) @ 2400MHz, 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x WD Scorpio Black 750GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB, EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclock, Enermax 1250W Evolution, Windows 8 64bit.

Logitech G9x, Razer Black Widow Ultimate, Logitech G930, 2x Eizo EV2333W.

Twitter | Steam

Posted 04/13/2012 05:15 PM   
[quote name='jimbonbon' date='13 April 2012 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1334337320' post='1395895']

There is certainly the possibility of faulty hardware, so we really can't rule this out - has the card [u]ever[/u] worked without TDR errors? Also what drivers exactly have you tried, and is 296.10 one of them?
[/quote]

This whole issue began about two months ago. Before that, however, my system ran fine for months. I do recall it giving me TDR issues when I first bought it (Around August of last year), but then I installed driver 275.33 and it worked perfectly until two months ago, when the TDR issue returned full force.

I've tried various drivers to fix this issue (including 275.33) but unfortunately none of them worked.
[quote name='jimbonbon' date='13 April 2012 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1334337320' post='1395895']

There is certainly the possibility of faulty hardware, so we really can't rule this out - has the card ever worked without TDR errors? Also what drivers exactly have you tried, and is 296.10 one of them?

This whole issue began about two months ago. Before that, however, my system ran fine for months. I do recall it giving me TDR issues when I first bought it (Around August of last year), but then I installed driver 275.33 and it worked perfectly until two months ago, when the TDR issue returned full force.

I've tried various drivers to fix this issue (including 275.33) but unfortunately none of them worked.

Posted 04/14/2012 07:22 PM   
Bump.
Bump.

Posted 04/19/2012 09:50 PM   
BSoD for me, same file....last beta drivers.
BSoD for me, same file....last beta drivers.

Gigabyte Geforce GTX560 @stock
Intel Core i5 2500k @stock/Corsair H70
MSI Z77A-G45(MS-7752) 2A
GEiL EVO CORSA 1866Mhz @1.6v
Corsair Force Series 3 120Gb
Samsung SyncMaster 2233SN Plus
Windows 8 Pro 64bits
Asus Xonar DGX 5.1
Corsair GS600

Posted 04/19/2012 10:26 PM   
Seriously? No fix for this issue?
Seriously? No fix for this issue?

Posted 04/23/2012 07:20 PM   
Crashed six times in under twenty minutes now. This is just ridiculous. I can't tell what's worse either, the fact that I was sold a defective card or the fact that the mod is outright ignoring this thread, like the problem will solve itself.
Crashed six times in under twenty minutes now. This is just ridiculous. I can't tell what's worse either, the fact that I was sold a defective card or the fact that the mod is outright ignoring this thread, like the problem will solve itself.

Posted 05/02/2012 04:44 AM   
can you post your complete specs, and any settings you have changed in the bios.
can you post your complete specs, and any settings you have changed in the bios.

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010

CPU:Intel i7 920 @ 3.8(D0), Mainboard:Asus Rampage II Gene, Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 680+ 4GB, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, Monitor:BenQ G2400WD
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Guardian 921RB, PSU:Corsair 620HX, OS:Windows 7 SP1

Posted 05/02/2012 03:40 PM   
Scroll To Top