Oblivion is eating my computer
Windows XP
Nvidia Geforce 6200
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.26GHz

Whenever I run Oblivion after a fresh computer restart, it runs fine. . . for about five minutes. I've noticed that as the time playing increases, the frames per second decrease exponentially. After about half an hour, the game becomes practically unplayable.

I've narrowed the problem down, however. Opening the Task Manager shows that the longer I play the game, the higher the "system" process's CPU gets. Normally this process is 00, but playing the game for just a few minutes causes it to jump up to 40-70, which drastically increases CPU usage and slows down the game. Even after exiting the game, the system process remains high, and my computer runs slower. The only way I've found to remedy this is to reboot the system, but it happens again after playing Oblivion. So the only actual solution I have is to stop playing Oblivion :(

All I need to know is:
What's causing the system CPU to skyrocket when playing Oblivion?
How do I prevent it from happening?

Any help would be appreciated.
Windows XP

Nvidia Geforce 6200

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.26GHz

Whenever I run Oblivion after a fresh computer restart, it runs fine. . . for about five minutes. I've noticed that as the time playing increases, the frames per second decrease exponentially. After about half an hour, the game becomes practically unplayable.

I've narrowed the problem down, however. Opening the Task Manager shows that the longer I play the game, the higher the "system" process's CPU gets. Normally this process is 00, but playing the game for just a few minutes causes it to jump up to 40-70, which drastically increases CPU usage and slows down the game. Even after exiting the game, the system process remains high, and my computer runs slower. The only way I've found to remedy this is to reboot the system, but it happens again after playing Oblivion. So the only actual solution I have is to stop playing Oblivion :(

All I need to know is:

What's causing the system CPU to skyrocket when playing Oblivion?

How do I prevent it from happening?

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted 04/09/2012 07:28 PM   
That sounds like heating problems.
That sounds like heating problems.

Practice good sportsmanship, you were a noob once to!

SPEC's

i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz cooled by a Corsair H60

8gb ddr3 1600mhz ram

Asus RoG Maximus V Extreme

850w OCZ 80+ Gold

3gb Asus hd7950 + 3gb Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950

Win7 professional 64 bit

1TB Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD

120GB OCZ SSD

Posted 04/10/2012 10:02 AM   
Scroll To Top