Overclocking help 525m
Hello there,

I recently got a DELL XPS 15 l502x - i7, 6gb of ram and the 1gb 525m graphics card. Pretty nice machine but feel I can get more when gaming.

Anyway i've looking into overclocking and firstly i'm wondering if I can overclock this graphics card on this machine with the NVIDIA system tools? Next, if I can does anyone have any recommendations to how high and far?
Also what impacts might be put onto the machine? What heat temperature is a bit too high? And on that note, I've also bought an under cooling stand for the laptop to provide a little extra cooling.

Thanks for any help!

Jack
Hello there,

I recently got a DELL XPS 15 l502x - i7, 6gb of ram and the 1gb 525m graphics card. Pretty nice machine but feel I can get more when gaming.

Anyway i've looking into overclocking and firstly i'm wondering if I can overclock this graphics card on this machine with the NVIDIA system tools? Next, if I can does anyone have any recommendations to how high and far?

Also what impacts might be put onto the machine? What heat temperature is a bit too high? And on that note, I've also bought an under cooling stand for the laptop to provide a little extra cooling.

Thanks for any help!

Jack

Posted 04/09/2012 12:29 PM   
Hi Jack,

The Dell XPS series is very good for the money. You can overclock it to a safe level using MSI Afterburner. I recommend it more than RivaTuner and EVGA Precision X,since its more stable.MSI Afterburner also comes with with GPU temperature monitoring.So keep a tab on the temperatures and do not allow the temperatures to rise more than 20 degrees celsius, and put your laptop fan to good use.You may also use GPU - Z to monitor your temperatures.

Well,there will be some impacts on the machine but almost none if you have the temperatures under check. Just increment the shaders 10 each time until you see any artifacts,which you might not be able to see in this PC(Its a good one!)

Once, you have done your overclocking (OC), just do atleast a 15 minute stability test or (torture test) by using the Furmark program to confirm that your overclock was successful.

Hope it helps.

PS. During intensive gaming you might have temperatures going up almost 30 degrees celsius, so just confirm the acceptable temperatures with Nvidia itself.(The private chat client helps!). But try to keep the difference at 20 C
Hi Jack,

The Dell XPS series is very good for the money. You can overclock it to a safe level using MSI Afterburner. I recommend it more than RivaTuner and EVGA Precision X,since its more stable.MSI Afterburner also comes with with GPU temperature monitoring.So keep a tab on the temperatures and do not allow the temperatures to rise more than 20 degrees celsius, and put your laptop fan to good use.You may also use GPU - Z to monitor your temperatures.

Well,there will be some impacts on the machine but almost none if you have the temperatures under check. Just increment the shaders 10 each time until you see any artifacts,which you might not be able to see in this PC(Its a good one!)

Once, you have done your overclocking (OC), just do atleast a 15 minute stability test or (torture test) by using the Furmark program to confirm that your overclock was successful.

Hope it helps.

PS. During intensive gaming you might have temperatures going up almost 30 degrees celsius, so just confirm the acceptable temperatures with Nvidia itself.(The private chat client helps!). But try to keep the difference at 20 C

Posted 04/09/2012 01:38 PM   
Scroll To Top