7900 GS card or Motherboard Restarting at random.
Hi, I hope I am in the right place for this. If not, please someone direct me where I need to go please.
I have a Medion Professional Computer
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz ( I think it is 2 of these because it show 2 when I look at the device manager)
3.19 GHz, 1.75 GB of Ram
Microsoft Xp Version 2002
Also I have a Nvidia 7900 GS Video card. It has a fan on it to help cool the card.
Power Source is 650 watt.
I don't know where else to find any statics so please let me know and I will put them in.
The case is a Medusa that I picked up at the local computer store and I have had both for a long time now.
I have had problems cooling this tower in the past. I haveplaced fans in all the available area that I can and at the moment I have the side of my case off and 2 additional fans blowing directly into the case to try and cool it. The reason for this is that with in the last few months, my computer has started to restart itself. The case seems to be hot inside. I have changed all the directions of the fans, one at a time to try and help cool this unit. For a little while it worked out fine.
But now, I can be on simple web sites; i.e. news pages, facebook (not playing game, just checking page), and small pages like that and the computer will restart itself. If I do try and play a facebook game or just one of the little games online, Not WoW or Star Wars, card/cpu can't handle that anymore at all, it seems to heat faster and restarts itself. I have watched some of my local programs and not have any trouble ; i.e. Csi, Vampire Diaries, Hart of Dixie and the such and I don't have a single problem. I watch them in full screen mode and nothing flickers or restarts.
I put a temp montior back on my comp today, the one I had wasn't working anymore, and it is showning that I am running at 136 F. Sorry I know C is what is normally used, but I always get confused. I keep my computer very clean on the inside. of dust and what not. I clean at least once a month. That is one thing about this case is that it collects everything :(
So I am trying to figure out if my graphics card is starting to go on me or the CPU itself. Like I said, I have had this about 5+ years and the card was bought shortly after and installed. I know that computers don't last forever, but I can't afforn a new one or even to build my own right now. Any help would be great.
Please ask all the questions you need, I will answer them as best as possible. I can do quiet a few things with a computer, update drivers, change out cards and such. I am also normaly good at trouble shooting these issues, but this one is stumping me good.
Hopefully I gave all the information and I look forward to hearing back for someone. Thank you again
Hi, I hope I am in the right place for this. If not, please someone direct me where I need to go please.

I have a Medion Professional Computer

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz ( I think it is 2 of these because it show 2 when I look at the device manager)

3.19 GHz, 1.75 GB of Ram

Microsoft Xp Version 2002

Also I have a Nvidia 7900 GS Video card. It has a fan on it to help cool the card.

Power Source is 650 watt.

I don't know where else to find any statics so please let me know and I will put them in.

The case is a Medusa that I picked up at the local computer store and I have had both for a long time now.

I have had problems cooling this tower in the past. I haveplaced fans in all the available area that I can and at the moment I have the side of my case off and 2 additional fans blowing directly into the case to try and cool it. The reason for this is that with in the last few months, my computer has started to restart itself. The case seems to be hot inside. I have changed all the directions of the fans, one at a time to try and help cool this unit. For a little while it worked out fine.

But now, I can be on simple web sites; i.e. news pages, facebook (not playing game, just checking page), and small pages like that and the computer will restart itself. If I do try and play a facebook game or just one of the little games online, Not WoW or Star Wars, card/cpu can't handle that anymore at all, it seems to heat faster and restarts itself. I have watched some of my local programs and not have any trouble ; i.e. Csi, Vampire Diaries, Hart of Dixie and the such and I don't have a single problem. I watch them in full screen mode and nothing flickers or restarts.

I put a temp montior back on my comp today, the one I had wasn't working anymore, and it is showning that I am running at 136 F. Sorry I know C is what is normally used, but I always get confused. I keep my computer very clean on the inside. of dust and what not. I clean at least once a month. That is one thing about this case is that it collects everything :(

So I am trying to figure out if my graphics card is starting to go on me or the CPU itself. Like I said, I have had this about 5+ years and the card was bought shortly after and installed. I know that computers don't last forever, but I can't afforn a new one or even to build my own right now. Any help would be great.

Please ask all the questions you need, I will answer them as best as possible. I can do quiet a few things with a computer, update drivers, change out cards and such. I am also normaly good at trouble shooting these issues, but this one is stumping me good.

Hopefully I gave all the information and I look forward to hearing back for someone. Thank you again

Posted 04/08/2012 08:29 PM   
WOW!!!! what a wall of TEXT......notice how I use line spacing....

Download SPECCY by PIRIFORM, same makers of CCLEANER / DEFRAGGLER. That will give all the HARDWARE specification....I screen shot mine and then post that so it looks like this...

[IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/Greybear1n2/Speccy106.jpg[/IMG]

Next, since the case is off, I would like you to check all the CAPACITORS...they look like small barrels with flat shiny tops. They should be FLAT and shiny with no crust on top or the base next to board.

Next looks at the PSU, there is a MAKE and MODEL number on it...Please post that information or a CLEAR PICTURE of it.

Look at the CPU fan, is it full of dust? Is the back side of the PSU (within the case) full of dust?

When was the last time a FULL reinstall of the OS was done? Was it moved from another motherboard to this one or fresh installed on this one?

WOW!!!! what a wall of TEXT......notice how I use line spacing....

Download SPECCY by PIRIFORM, same makers of CCLEANER / DEFRAGGLER. That will give all the HARDWARE specification....I screen shot mine and then post that so it looks like this...

Next, since the case is off, I would like you to check all the CAPACITORS...they look like small barrels with flat shiny tops. They should be FLAT and shiny with no crust on top or the base next to board.

Next looks at the PSU, there is a MAKE and MODEL number on it...Please post that information or a CLEAR PICTURE of it.

Look at the CPU fan, is it full of dust? Is the back side of the PSU (within the case) full of dust?

When was the last time a FULL reinstall of the OS was done? Was it moved from another motherboard to this one or fresh installed on this one?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/08/2012 10:58 PM   
I recommend you download CPUID HWMonitor, it will list everything you wanna know, all in one place, easy to read.

It sounds like your motherboard may be dyin'. I've seen this a lot in recent repairs I've done to two machines now.
I recommend you download CPUID HWMonitor, it will list everything you wanna know, all in one place, easy to read.

It sounds like your motherboard may be dyin'. I've seen this a lot in recent repairs I've done to two machines now.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 04/09/2012 06:32 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1333953159' post='1393568']
[/quote]

I would agree, it does sound like its on its last legs, do what greybear has said and check that your capacitors are ok and not swollen.
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='09 April 2012 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1333953159' post='1393568']

I would agree, it does sound like its on its last legs, do what greybear has said and check that your capacitors are ok and not swollen.

CPU- Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3ghz @ 4.8ghz
Motherboard- Asrock z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Graphics- MSI GTX 780 Lightning LE
Memory- 8 GIG DDR3 (1600mhz)
Hard drives- 3x Sata (1x 320gig,1 x 640,1x 1TB)
OS- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Case- Cooler Master HAF-X 942
PSU- Hiper Type-M 880w (HPU-4M880-PS).

Posted 04/09/2012 10:16 AM   
Sorry it took so long to reply. Computer is having issues.
Everything is clean and in very good shape. Like I said, I take good care of my computer. Try to at least. And she is old I know, but she has been great. I hope the attachment works. it has all the stuff.

Thanks again for all the help you folks are offering. :)
Sorry it took so long to reply. Computer is having issues.

Everything is clean and in very good shape. Like I said, I take good care of my computer. Try to at least. And she is old I know, but she has been great. I hope the attachment works. it has all the stuff.

Thanks again for all the help you folks are offering. :)

Posted 04/10/2012 04:01 AM   
ok, so I don't think it put the attachment on. so I will list here. Line for line what it says. with current temps as well.

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU
Intel Pentium 4 540
Prescott 90nm Technology

RAM
1.75 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 159MHz (2.5-3-3-7)

Motherboard
MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046 (Socket 478) [b]78 degree C[/b]
Graphics
iS220D (1680x1050@75Hz)
256MB GeForce 7900 GS (PNY) [b]62 degree C[/b]

Hard Drives
195GB Seagate ST3200822AS (SATA) [b]37 degree C[/b]

Optical Drives
DVD RW DVR-MCC
IDE DVD-ROM 16X

Audio
C-Media High Definition Audio Device

Ok, I think I got it all copies properly. I just put in what it said. Hope this helps. Thanks again everyone. Based on comparing my Motherboard temp to his.... I would say I am about to blow up mty motherboard again :sigh: I didn't know how to take very good care of my first computer and killed the Motherboard. I learned and have taken very very careful care of this one. I am thinking this computer is older than dirt compared to most of you folks. As I said, any input is great. Thanks again.
ok, so I don't think it put the attachment on. so I will list here. Line for line what it says. with current temps as well.

Operating System

MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3

CPU

Intel Pentium 4 540

Prescott 90nm Technology

RAM

1.75 GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 159MHz (2.5-3-3-7)

Motherboard

MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7046 (Socket 478) 78 degree C

Graphics

iS220D (1680x1050@75Hz)

256MB GeForce 7900 GS (PNY) 62 degree C

Hard Drives

195GB Seagate ST3200822AS (SATA) 37 degree C

Optical Drives

DVD RW DVR-MCC

IDE DVD-ROM 16X

Audio

C-Media High Definition Audio Device

Ok, I think I got it all copies properly. I just put in what it said. Hope this helps. Thanks again everyone. Based on comparing my Motherboard temp to his.... I would say I am about to blow up mty motherboard again :sigh: I didn't know how to take very good care of my first computer and killed the Motherboard. I learned and have taken very very careful care of this one. I am thinking this computer is older than dirt compared to most of you folks. As I said, any input is great. Thanks again.

Posted 04/10/2012 04:20 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='08 April 2012 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1333925906' post='1393480']

Next, since the case is off, I would like you to check all the [b]CAPACITORS[/b]...they look like small barrels with flat shiny tops. They should be FLAT and shiny with no crust on top or the base next to board.

Next looks at the[b] PSU, there is a MAKE and MODEL number[/b] on it...Please post that information or a CLEAR PICTURE of it.

When was the last time a FULL [b]reinstall of the OS was done[/b]? Was it moved from another motherboard to this one or [b]fresh installed on this one[/b]?

[/quote]

Youll have to explain to me the 1.75 GB memory setup, with the actual make and models of the RAM (check the RAM section, it may have Identified them for you, otherwise youll get this info off the sticker on the ram) as it says DUAL-CHANNEL DDR (dual =2)

Your also pushing really high resolution on that GPU.

Im personally leaning toward several factors here between the RAM and the PSU, with over heating of the GPU.
[quote name='Greybear' date='08 April 2012 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1333925906' post='1393480']

Youll have to explain to me the 1.75 GB memory setup, with the actual make and models of the RAM (check the RAM section, it may have Identified them for you, otherwise youll get this info off the sticker on the ram) as it says DUAL-CHANNEL DDR (dual =2)

Your also pushing really high resolution on that GPU.

Im personally leaning toward several factors here between the RAM and the PSU, with over heating of the GPU.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 04/10/2012 12:57 PM   
Ok Greybear, I will list everything on the Ram part. Sorry I didn't answer the other questions. lol I was just happy to have found everything else. :)

RAM - Total Merory Slots 4; Used 4

Slot #1
Type - DDR
Size - 512 MBytes
Manufacturer - Kingston
Max Bandwidth - PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part Number - K
Serial Number - 8B0DA440
Week/year - 31/04
SPD Ext. - EPP

Slot #2
Type - DDR
Size - 512 MBytes
Manufacturer - Unknown
Max Bandwidth - PC3200 (200 MHz)
Serial Number - 55353132
Week/year - 51/49
SPD Ext. - EPP

Slot #3
Type - DDR
Size - 512 MBytes
Manufacturer - Kingston
Part Number - K
Serial Number - 600409E2
Week/year - 31/04
SPD Ext. - EPP

Slot #4
Type - DDR
Size - 256 MBytes
Manufacturer - Swissbit
Part Number - SDU03264B5B71MT-50
Serial Number - C5050000
Week/year - 255/255
SPD Ext. - EPP

all the CAPACITORS - Are clean and in good shape

PSU, there is a MAKE and MODEL number - MAKE - BFG Tech
650W
Model - BFGR650PSU
This was placed in to carry the weight of the games I was playing at the time. EQII and World of Warcraft.

" When was the last time a FULL reinstall of the OS was done? Was it moved from another motherboard to this one or fresh installed on this one? " [b]Never. Everything in this computer is what I have been using for years now. So I have never seen a reason to reinstall the OP system.[/b]

" Your also pushing really high resolution on that GPU " I have been using this resolution since I put the Graphics card in the computer. I have played EQII as well as WOW with this. Never a problem. Based on what I am looking at the Motherboard I am guessing is about 8 - 10 years old correct. Is it possible that it is giving out.

Again, any help is welcomed. I am learning a ton about my computer now lol. I am loving it. Thanks All!!!!
Ok Greybear, I will list everything on the Ram part. Sorry I didn't answer the other questions. lol I was just happy to have found everything else. :)

RAM - Total Merory Slots 4; Used 4

Slot #1

Type - DDR

Size - 512 MBytes

Manufacturer - Kingston

Part Number - K

Serial Number - 8B0DA440

Week/year - 31/04

SPD Ext. - EPP

Slot #2

Type - DDR

Size - 512 MBytes

Manufacturer - Unknown

Serial Number - 55353132

Week/year - 51/49

SPD Ext. - EPP

Slot #3

Type - DDR

Size - 512 MBytes

Manufacturer - Kingston

Part Number - K

Serial Number - 600409E2

Week/year - 31/04

SPD Ext. - EPP

Slot #4

Type - DDR

Size - 256 MBytes

Manufacturer - Swissbit

Part Number - SDU03264B5B71MT-50

Serial Number - C5050000

Week/year - 255/255

SPD Ext. - EPP

all the CAPACITORS - Are clean and in good shape

PSU, there is a MAKE and MODEL number - MAKE - BFG Tech

650W

Model - BFGR650PSU

This was placed in to carry the weight of the games I was playing at the time. EQII and World of Warcraft.

" When was the last time a FULL reinstall of the OS was done? Was it moved from another motherboard to this one or fresh installed on this one? " Never. Everything in this computer is what I have been using for years now. So I have never seen a reason to reinstall the OP system.

" Your also pushing really high resolution on that GPU " I have been using this resolution since I put the Graphics card in the computer. I have played EQII as well as WOW with this. Never a problem. Based on what I am looking at the Motherboard I am guessing is about 8 - 10 years old correct. Is it possible that it is giving out.

Again, any help is welcomed. I am learning a ton about my computer now lol. I am loving it. Thanks All!!!!

Posted 04/10/2012 08:41 PM   
Remove the Second and last stick of RAM, make sure the 2 Kingston are in the slots (either) closest to the CPU or (if 2 different colored slot types) that have the same color.

Those other 2 you remove could be causing part of the issue.

See how long it takes to recreate the problem. Notice how it states they are 2 different Speeds...you cannot do this nor can you mix timings / voltages without having issues.
Remove the Second and last stick of RAM, make sure the 2 Kingston are in the slots (either) closest to the CPU or (if 2 different colored slot types) that have the same color.

See how long it takes to recreate the problem. Notice how it states they are 2 different Speeds...you cannot do this nor can you mix timings / voltages without having issues.

Posted 04/11/2012 01:06 AM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='10 April 2012 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1334106362' post='1394591']

[/quote]

[b]Ok, I went to switch the Ram around like you said, but the two Kingstons are in both Green Slots in the order listed. The other two are in Blue. So shouldI still remove the others and see if that is the problem.? Like I have stated, I have been using this configuration for a long long time now. At the moment, the Motherboard is showing that it is at 70 - 75 degrees C. My case is completely openallowing for complete air flow. Thanks again. [/b]
[quote name='Greybear' date='10 April 2012 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1334106362' post='1394591']

Ok, I went to switch the Ram around like you said, but the two Kingstons are in both Green Slots in the order listed. The other two are in Blue. So shouldI still remove the others and see if that is the problem.? Like I have stated, I have been using this configuration for a long long time now. At the moment, the Motherboard is showing that it is at 70 - 75 degrees C. My case is completely openallowing for complete air flow. Thanks again.

Posted 04/11/2012 10:06 PM   
[quote name='Greybear' date='10 April 2012 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1334106362' post='1394591']
[b][u]Remove the Second and last stick of RAM[/u][/b], make sure the 2 Kingston are in the slots (either) closest to the CPU or (if 2 different colored slot types) that have the same color.
[/quote]

An open case has no FLOW. Even when you point a fan in, your FORCE not flow....Flow is where the Air is pulled thru the case in such a way as to bring cooler air in the front and exhaust the hotter air out the back.

The removal of those 2 sticks and the replacement of the remaining two sticks on the appropriate slots was the only change requested at this time.
[quote name='Greybear' date='10 April 2012 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1334106362' post='1394591']

An open case has no FLOW. Even when you point a fan in, your FORCE not flow....Flow is where the Air is pulled thru the case in such a way as to bring cooler air in the front and exhaust the hotter air out the back.

The removal of those 2 sticks and the replacement of the remaining two sticks on the appropriate slots was the only change requested at this time.

Posted 04/12/2012 12:39 AM   
Ok I put the case completely back together. I have all lower fans pulling in cool air from the front and bottom sides of the case. and all the top fans blowing out of the case. ( hot air rises :) ) At the moment, Temps are as follows.

Mother Board - 71 - 78 degrees C : temp rises quick when I open a IE page. Then it hovers. I haven't done anything labor intensive on it yet.

Graphics - 62 degrees C

Hard Drive - 40 degree C

So that is where I am at. Hope that provides some additional help. Since you mentioned that a open case has no airflow Greybear, you changed my mind about the next case I was looking at. It is a completely open case called a Skeleton made by Antec. I fell in love with the case, but if it isn't going be a good case, I don't want to have to replace it so soon. Thank you.

Afternoon - Anything I do that has beyond words on the page restarts the computer. The Motherbard reaches about 90 degree C then it restarts it self. The Graphics card has remained the same. I have no clue.
Ok I put the case completely back together. I have all lower fans pulling in cool air from the front and bottom sides of the case. and all the top fans blowing out of the case. ( hot air rises :) ) At the moment, Temps are as follows.

Mother Board - 71 - 78 degrees C : temp rises quick when I open a IE page. Then it hovers. I haven't done anything labor intensive on it yet.

Graphics - 62 degrees C

Hard Drive - 40 degree C

So that is where I am at. Hope that provides some additional help. Since you mentioned that a open case has no airflow Greybear, you changed my mind about the next case I was looking at. It is a completely open case called a Skeleton made by Antec. I fell in love with the case, but if it isn't going be a good case, I don't want to have to replace it so soon. Thank you.

Afternoon - Anything I do that has beyond words on the page restarts the computer. The Motherbard reaches about 90 degree C then it restarts it self. The Graphics card has remained the same. I have no clue.

Posted 04/12/2012 01:07 PM   
You have removed the RAM that I requested correct?

What I would suggest is that you goto the store and get some simple THERMAL PASTE about $3, nothing FANCY, no NAME BRAND, no THIS IS THE BEST stuff...simple white Thermal paste.

Remove the CPU, use ISOPROPLE ALCOHOL and clean the old thermal paste from the CPU and the HEAT sink. Do not BATHE the CPU in it, so be careful. Let it dry under a light fan breeze for approx. 1hr. Apply a small drop of the thermal paste on the CPU and use a credit card to smooth it evenly across the cpu making a light layer you could almost see thru but is still milky white. Then carefully place the CPU fan back on.

In the BIOS, what speed does it say the CPU fan is turning? If there are setting to allow user control, default these, as you want the max speed at all times.

Then let me know what the temps are after that.

You have removed the RAM that I requested correct?

What I would suggest is that you goto the store and get some simple THERMAL PASTE about $3, nothing FANCY, no NAME BRAND, no THIS IS THE BEST stuff...simple white Thermal paste.

Remove the CPU, use ISOPROPLE ALCOHOL and clean the old thermal paste from the CPU and the HEAT sink. Do not BATHE the CPU in it, so be careful. Let it dry under a light fan breeze for approx. 1hr. Apply a small drop of the thermal paste on the CPU and use a credit card to smooth it evenly across the cpu making a light layer you could almost see thru but is still milky white. Then carefully place the CPU fan back on.

In the BIOS, what speed does it say the CPU fan is turning? If there are setting to allow user control, default these, as you want the max speed at all times.

Then let me know what the temps are after that.

Posted 04/13/2012 12:53 AM   
Scroll To Top