GTX 470 Black Screen Issues with new hardware and GTX 470
Hello Everyone,
I have been using my 2x GTX 470's for about year now. Last week I realised my old set-up might have been bottle necking my SLI capabilities, and my MB & CPU were around 5 years old anyways so I went out and got some new stuff.

I've set up an ASUS P9X79 mother board with an Intel i7-3820 3.6 GHZ CPU. I also set-up a new Intel SSD 60GB and 16GB of Gskill RAM. I've performed a clean install of W7 Home Premium OEM and did a custom install of the user profiles and program files during installation using a method I have used in the past.

After initial build everything was good and I went to updating BIOS and install the ASUS drivers for the X79 chipset. No problems there. Then next go to install NVIDIA 296.10 drivers, and lo and behold, after restart I get a black screen when the desktop should be showing up. No mouse or functionality at all and then my monitor powers down like it's not getting any signal. I tried all my different DVI ports and none are putting out any signal. Waiting 5 mins or more and no change.

I can see the display during the MB boot and can get into BIOS and watch the windows logo, but when it loads the desktop, black screen. I am forced to do a hard reset which then I can start safe mode and display works fine....

I've read all over google about this and can't get a fix. I've tried rolling back NVIDIA drivers, no fix. I ensured my MB wasn't overclocking, no fix. I've tried to increase voltage, no fix. Clean reinstalled drivers of course no fix. I've tried changin to low res mode, no fix. Have tried Disabling Aero, no fix.

What does seem to work is going into device manager an uninstalling the GTX drivers then on reboot everything comes up fine (crap resolution of course). But after a short time windows automatically reinstalls the drivers and on next reboot it black screens again.

This is really frustrating after spending $1000 on this new rig and I can't get graphics that have worked for a year no problem to startup.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ASUS P9X79
i7-3820 3.6GHZ not overclocked
16GB Gskill DDR3 1600 RAM
2x GTX 470s
1200w power supply
Hello Everyone,

I have been using my 2x GTX 470's for about year now. Last week I realised my old set-up might have been bottle necking my SLI capabilities, and my MB & CPU were around 5 years old anyways so I went out and got some new stuff.

I've set up an ASUS P9X79 mother board with an Intel i7-3820 3.6 GHZ CPU. I also set-up a new Intel SSD 60GB and 16GB of Gskill RAM. I've performed a clean install of W7 Home Premium OEM and did a custom install of the user profiles and program files during installation using a method I have used in the past.

After initial build everything was good and I went to updating BIOS and install the ASUS drivers for the X79 chipset. No problems there. Then next go to install NVIDIA 296.10 drivers, and lo and behold, after restart I get a black screen when the desktop should be showing up. No mouse or functionality at all and then my monitor powers down like it's not getting any signal. I tried all my different DVI ports and none are putting out any signal. Waiting 5 mins or more and no change.

I can see the display during the MB boot and can get into BIOS and watch the windows logo, but when it loads the desktop, black screen. I am forced to do a hard reset which then I can start safe mode and display works fine....

I've read all over google about this and can't get a fix. I've tried rolling back NVIDIA drivers, no fix. I ensured my MB wasn't overclocking, no fix. I've tried to increase voltage, no fix. Clean reinstalled drivers of course no fix. I've tried changin to low res mode, no fix. Have tried Disabling Aero, no fix.

What does seem to work is going into device manager an uninstalling the GTX drivers then on reboot everything comes up fine (crap resolution of course). But after a short time windows automatically reinstalls the drivers and on next reboot it black screens again.

This is really frustrating after spending $1000 on this new rig and I can't get graphics that have worked for a year no problem to startup.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ASUS P9X79

i7-3820 3.6GHZ not overclocked

16GB Gskill DDR3 1600 RAM

2x GTX 470s

1200w power supply

Posted 04/07/2012 10:40 PM   
So after hours of trying different things ends up will run stable on 285.62 Drivers.
So after hours of trying different things ends up will run stable on 285.62 Drivers.

Posted 04/08/2012 03:08 AM   
[quote name='Corwin00420' date='08 April 2012 - 03:08 AM' timestamp='1333854499' post='1393206']
[/quote]

Sir we also had the same problem from 295.73 to 296.10 driver. I'm currently using 285.62 for my GTS450 which is stable. My problem is that the monitor turns black after windows 7 logo and then turns on after 3 seconds then able to login my user account. I tried a lot of troubleshooting and googled a lot and I figured out that this is really a driver issue.

Reinstall a fresh OS then install the 296.10 WHQL = 3 seconds Black Screen after windows logo
Reinstall a fresh OS then install the 295.73 WHQL = 3 seconds Black Screen after windows logo
Reinstall a fresh OS then install the 285.62 WHQL = Problem Solved

I wish Nvidia do something about this.

My specs are:
Intel Dual Core E5300 2.6ghz stock
ASUS P5KPL AM-SE
Inno3d GTS450 1gb ddr5
4gb Kingston ddr2
500gb Seagate Baracuda
Antec R8-2 650 watts power supply
Philips 160EL LED 1366x768 15'6
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
[quote name='Corwin00420' date='08 April 2012 - 03:08 AM' timestamp='1333854499' post='1393206']

Sir we also had the same problem from 295.73 to 296.10 driver. I'm currently using 285.62 for my GTS450 which is stable. My problem is that the monitor turns black after windows 7 logo and then turns on after 3 seconds then able to login my user account. I tried a lot of troubleshooting and googled a lot and I figured out that this is really a driver issue.

Reinstall a fresh OS then install the 296.10 WHQL = 3 seconds Black Screen after windows logo

Reinstall a fresh OS then install the 295.73 WHQL = 3 seconds Black Screen after windows logo

Reinstall a fresh OS then install the 285.62 WHQL = Problem Solved

I wish Nvidia do something about this.

My specs are:

Intel Dual Core E5300 2.6ghz stock

ASUS P5KPL AM-SE

Inno3d GTS450 1gb ddr5

4gb Kingston ddr2

500gb Seagate Baracuda

Antec R8-2 650 watts power supply

Philips 160EL LED 1366x768 15'6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Posted 04/10/2012 12:07 PM   
Changing the drivers does not fix the black screen issue on GTX 470, i have an ASUS GTX 470 that was suffering of the same problems, changed the drivers a few times but the black screen issue never dissapeared. The only thing that worked for me was to check to the resources alocated to the VGA card and i noticed something strange, the video card was using IRQ 16 in resources tab, the network adpter which was an TP-Link 3200 was also using IRQ 16 so i removed the drivers of the network adapter and i disabled it in device manager, then i enabled the onboard LAN controller which was using IRQ 17 and tested it a few days, this works, i can confirm it since my video card is operating normally now with no more black screens or system freeze when browsing in Google Chrome. Its a driver IRQ conflict between the video card and another component that is sharing the same IRQ, it seems the GTX 470 doesn't like to share the same resource with another component. I suggest to check your video card resources and you network/sound adapter resources and if the same IRQ is shared just disable the other card if its using a PCI slot and enable the onboard card to see if the video card freezes again.
Good luck. /thumbup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbup:' />
Changing the drivers does not fix the black screen issue on GTX 470, i have an ASUS GTX 470 that was suffering of the same problems, changed the drivers a few times but the black screen issue never dissapeared. The only thing that worked for me was to check to the resources alocated to the VGA card and i noticed something strange, the video card was using IRQ 16 in resources tab, the network adpter which was an TP-Link 3200 was also using IRQ 16 so i removed the drivers of the network adapter and i disabled it in device manager, then i enabled the onboard LAN controller which was using IRQ 17 and tested it a few days, this works, i can confirm it since my video card is operating normally now with no more black screens or system freeze when browsing in Google Chrome. Its a driver IRQ conflict between the video card and another component that is sharing the same IRQ, it seems the GTX 470 doesn't like to share the same resource with another component. I suggest to check your video card resources and you network/sound adapter resources and if the same IRQ is shared just disable the other card if its using a PCI slot and enable the onboard card to see if the video card freezes again.

Posted 04/18/2012 12:41 PM   
[quote name='ASUS GTX 470' date='18 April 2012 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1334752868' post='1397813']
[/quote]

My video card resources has IRQ 16 while may network adapter has IRQ 17. So there's no conflict, but still having a 3 seconds black screen after windows logo then able to login my user account. I'm using Inno3d GTS 450 with the latest driver 301.42. I can only fix this problem by using 285.62, however, I'm having problem with hardware acceleration of flash when using 285.62 like green screen on youtube.
[quote name='ASUS GTX 470' date='18 April 2012 - 12:41 PM' timestamp='1334752868' post='1397813']

My video card resources has IRQ 16 while may network adapter has IRQ 17. So there's no conflict, but still having a 3 seconds black screen after windows logo then able to login my user account. I'm using Inno3d GTS 450 with the latest driver 301.42. I can only fix this problem by using 285.62, however, I'm having problem with hardware acceleration of flash when using 285.62 like green screen on youtube.

Posted 05/23/2012 05:23 PM   
I said it was an irq conflict but it can be also a RAM related problem caused by the drivers, i moddified a setting in msconfig that was in Boot Tab, advanced options i set up manually my number of processors and ram memory then save and restart. After restarting my system was showing instead of 4 GB RAM as total available memory something like 3.50 GB usable, after this change i waited 2 weeks to see if my GTX 470 turns off the screen at welcome screen and it seems this is a real fix, no ideea why Windows needs 500 MB of RAM for my GTX 470 since its not integrated, this is a rather strange thing and it made me believe there is indeed a bug in the drivers or even perhaps its nvidia's way to force their customers to buy more newer graphic cards. Who knows, in the end i know for sure i won't be buying an nvidia graphics card in the future if that's their policy of ripping customers of their money. More important since i didn't want my RAM being allocated wrong to my video card i found also another fix by modding the vga bios and set my lower 2d clocks to higher values like for GPU instead of 50 mhz i put 150 mhz, for shaders instead of 100 mhz i changed to 300 mhz and for the memory i put 300 mhz, also i changed the voltage from 0.875v to 0.925v. Now instead of freezing or black screening like crazy my video card gets a "display driver has crashed and recovered" error, the good thing about it is that it doesn't stuck on the black screen but is able to recover from the error. Shame on you nvidia i trusted you /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />
I said it was an irq conflict but it can be also a RAM related problem caused by the drivers, i moddified a setting in msconfig that was in Boot Tab, advanced options i set up manually my number of processors and ram memory then save and restart. After restarting my system was showing instead of 4 GB RAM as total available memory something like 3.50 GB usable, after this change i waited 2 weeks to see if my GTX 470 turns off the screen at welcome screen and it seems this is a real fix, no ideea why Windows needs 500 MB of RAM for my GTX 470 since its not integrated, this is a rather strange thing and it made me believe there is indeed a bug in the drivers or even perhaps its nvidia's way to force their customers to buy more newer graphic cards. Who knows, in the end i know for sure i won't be buying an nvidia graphics card in the future if that's their policy of ripping customers of their money. More important since i didn't want my RAM being allocated wrong to my video card i found also another fix by modding the vga bios and set my lower 2d clocks to higher values like for GPU instead of 50 mhz i put 150 mhz, for shaders instead of 100 mhz i changed to 300 mhz and for the memory i put 300 mhz, also i changed the voltage from 0.875v to 0.925v. Now instead of freezing or black screening like crazy my video card gets a "display driver has crashed and recovered" error, the good thing about it is that it doesn't stuck on the black screen but is able to recover from the error. Shame on you nvidia i trusted you /thumbsdown.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsdown:' />

Posted 06/18/2012 12:10 PM   
Scroll To Top