Random shut downs/will not start! Graphics, Motherboard, or Power Supply?
I have an EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR Motherboard, with a Corsair 750W power supply and a EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 SC graphics card. Recently my computer froze with sound on loop and then shut down but not before giving me the blue screen of death. Afterwards I would try to reboot and would only be successful one out of 4 times. I opened the side of the case and checked all connections and then successfully turned it back on. After a few days of doing this the computer now fails to start every time so I tried unplugging RAM and that still didn't do anything, I took out the graphics card and it turned on. Seeing as I don't have an onboard graphics card on the MB I couldn't see anything so shut her down again. I installed my old graphics card (GeForce 9800 GT) and still doing the same thing. Random shut downs, off and on willingness to turn itself on and swapping out graphics cards...what could it be? Also before I swapped cards it was giving me one long beep with no short beeps after and then stopping at the LED code 26 when it would do this.

Is this a hardware issue, software? What's going on?!

I re-applied thermal gel to the CPU so maybe this will help? Otherwise it's gotta be either my graphics card, RAM, or motherboard.
I have an EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR Motherboard, with a Corsair 750W power supply and a EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 SC graphics card. Recently my computer froze with sound on loop and then shut down but not before giving me the blue screen of death. Afterwards I would try to reboot and would only be successful one out of 4 times. I opened the side of the case and checked all connections and then successfully turned it back on. After a few days of doing this the computer now fails to start every time so I tried unplugging RAM and that still didn't do anything, I took out the graphics card and it turned on. Seeing as I don't have an onboard graphics card on the MB I couldn't see anything so shut her down again. I installed my old graphics card (GeForce 9800 GT) and still doing the same thing. Random shut downs, off and on willingness to turn itself on and swapping out graphics cards...what could it be? Also before I swapped cards it was giving me one long beep with no short beeps after and then stopping at the LED code 26 when it would do this.

Is this a hardware issue, software? What's going on?!

I re-applied thermal gel to the CPU so maybe this will help? Otherwise it's gotta be either my graphics card, RAM, or motherboard.

Posted 04/07/2012 10:08 PM   
Did the thermal paste help?
Did the thermal paste help?

http://www.hollywoodpcrepair.com/index.html

https://plus.google.com/113631846936966512572/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Intel Core i7 X 980 3.33GHz @ 3.3 GHz

eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI motherboard

HAF-X Case, Corsair H80 CPU Liquid Cooler

12GB System RAM

EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480

KingWin Mach 1 ATX 1220-Watt Power Supply

Western Digital VelociRaptor 10000 RPM hdd

Posted 04/07/2012 10:53 PM   
Several things stand out here....

1) You have to have 1 stick of ram for a board to post.
2) You have to have a display device for a board to post.

3) Random shutdowns and bluescreens, with hit and miss posting attempts generally points to the PSU....BUT!!!!!!!!! .....

4) Check the BOARD CAPACITORS.
Several things stand out here....

1) You have to have 1 stick of ram for a board to post.

2) You have to have a display device for a board to post.

3) Random shutdowns and bluescreens, with hit and miss posting attempts generally points to the PSU....BUT!!!!!!!!! .....

4) Check the BOARD CAPACITORS.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/08/2012 02:04 AM   
Well I had a friend tell me to re-seat the CPU and clean off the old thermal gel and put new on so I happened to have some thermal gel and that has seemed to fix the issue. I'm assuming my CPU was thinking or actually overheating and shutting down. I have no idea why this would have changed anything but I'm still kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop and for it to stop working again.

I have two sticks of ram in the computer so I alternated taking those out, I was removing one variable at a time. I still am not sure as to why taking the video card out was allowing it to start up if replacing the thermal gel on the CPU was going to work. Not unless that was the connection that was loose and I just needed to tighten that up.

Thoughts?
Well I had a friend tell me to re-seat the CPU and clean off the old thermal gel and put new on so I happened to have some thermal gel and that has seemed to fix the issue. I'm assuming my CPU was thinking or actually overheating and shutting down. I have no idea why this would have changed anything but I'm still kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop and for it to stop working again.

I have two sticks of ram in the computer so I alternated taking those out, I was removing one variable at a time. I still am not sure as to why taking the video card out was allowing it to start up if replacing the thermal gel on the CPU was going to work. Not unless that was the connection that was loose and I just needed to tighten that up.

Thoughts?

Posted 04/08/2012 04:57 PM   
Scroll To Top