Need Help With 480GTX SLI
I've had a zotex 480GTX for a while now and i've just got my hands on a used MSI 480GTX to sli with but for some reason my zotec wont work when both cards are in.

My zotec will only work in the x16 slot but the msi will work in both slots my motherboard has 1 x16 and 1 x8 pci-e slots so both go to x8 when they both in use so it seems like my zotec wont work in x8.

I've been trying all day to get this to work i even flashed the zotec bios to a msi one but it still wont work in x8 as far as i know there's no reason for a 480GTX not to work in x8.

Any help would be much much appreciated/

Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3
Psu: Corsair AX1200
GPU1: Zotec AMP 480 GTX
GPU2: MSi 480 GTX
I've had a zotex 480GTX for a while now and i've just got my hands on a used MSI 480GTX to sli with but for some reason my zotec wont work when both cards are in.

My zotec will only work in the x16 slot but the msi will work in both slots my motherboard has 1 x16 and 1 x8 pci-e slots so both go to x8 when they both in use so it seems like my zotec wont work in x8.

I've been trying all day to get this to work i even flashed the zotec bios to a msi one but it still wont work in x8 as far as i know there's no reason for a 480GTX not to work in x8.

Any help would be much much appreciated/

Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-ud4-b3

Psu: Corsair AX1200

GPU1: Zotec AMP 480 GTX

GPU2: MSi 480 GTX

Posted 04/05/2012 03:48 PM   
When you say "it wont' work", how exactly is it not working? Is it not being recognized as present in the system at all? Is it just not allowing you to select SLI?
When you say "it wont' work", how exactly is it not working? Is it not being recognized as present in the system at all? Is it just not allowing you to select SLI?

Posted 04/05/2012 06:11 PM   
[quote name='Jendrix' date='05 April 2012 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1333649495' post='1392361']
[/quote]

Sorry i should have gone into more detail, it doesn't seem to work at all if i have the bios set to boot from the 1st pci-e slot where the zotec is it wont give me a signal and when i set the 2nd slot the msi gives me a signal but its like the other card isn't even there its not in Device manager or anywhere else.

The msi card on its own can boot from the 2nd x8 pci-e but the zotec wont give me a signal in that slot so thats why i'm thinking its somthing to do with x8

This is my 1st sli and i don't know jack i'm gonna try putting them in another computer i have later and see how it acts
[quote name='Jendrix' date='05 April 2012 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1333649495' post='1392361']

Sorry i should have gone into more detail, it doesn't seem to work at all if i have the bios set to boot from the 1st pci-e slot where the zotec is it wont give me a signal and when i set the 2nd slot the msi gives me a signal but its like the other card isn't even there its not in Device manager or anywhere else.

The msi card on its own can boot from the 2nd x8 pci-e but the zotec wont give me a signal in that slot so thats why i'm thinking its somthing to do with x8

This is my 1st sli and i don't know jack i'm gonna try putting them in another computer i have later and see how it acts

Posted 04/05/2012 06:32 PM   
I see you have a zotac amp....does it have a different size vram then the msi card? If so you can't sli them its in the sticky post in sli basic called well these cards work together...
I see you have a zotac amp....does it have a different size vram then the msi card? If so you can't sli them its in the sticky post in sli basic called well these cards work together...

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 04/05/2012 06:33 PM   
They Have the same vram 1536MB the AMP just means its overclocked
They Have the same vram 1536MB the AMP just means its overclocked

Posted 04/05/2012 07:10 PM   
I am sure the Zotec isn't working because of x8 i tryed using the zotec with an old 8800gtx and it acts the same way it was with the msi 480 no signal on the zotec it would just act as if the zotec wasn't there and use the 8800gtx as the primary display and when i boot into windows the 8880 is there but the zotec is no where to be seen.

When i put the 8800gtx in with the Msi 480 it all works the msi is the primary and they both show up in windows and i could use the 8800 for physx if i wanted.

The Zotec works 100% fine when its on the x16 slot on its own i cant uderstand why it wont work on x8 is there any jumpr pins on the 480 that would stop it working on x8?

Please somebody help me i've got no idea what to do here.
I am sure the Zotec isn't working because of x8 i tryed using the zotec with an old 8800gtx and it acts the same way it was with the msi 480 no signal on the zotec it would just act as if the zotec wasn't there and use the 8800gtx as the primary display and when i boot into windows the 8880 is there but the zotec is no where to be seen.

When i put the 8800gtx in with the Msi 480 it all works the msi is the primary and they both show up in windows and i could use the 8800 for physx if i wanted.

The Zotec works 100% fine when its on the x16 slot on its own i cant uderstand why it wont work on x8 is there any jumpr pins on the 480 that would stop it working on x8?

Please somebody help me i've got no idea what to do here.

Posted 04/05/2012 11:38 PM   
Random thought and no idea if it will help or not but...have you tried updating everything you can for your mobo? Bios, drivers, etc.? Maybe there was something weird in an older bios?

Also, are you running multiple monitors? I remember reading something where if you're doing dual monitors at least, they both have to be plugged into the same card. I honestly can't remember the reasoning behind that, just trying to shoot for any obscure solution here.
Random thought and no idea if it will help or not but...have you tried updating everything you can for your mobo? Bios, drivers, etc.? Maybe there was something weird in an older bios?

Also, are you running multiple monitors? I remember reading something where if you're doing dual monitors at least, they both have to be plugged into the same card. I honestly can't remember the reasoning behind that, just trying to shoot for any obscure solution here.

Posted 04/06/2012 06:33 PM   
[quote name='Jendrix' date='06 April 2012 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1333737237' post='1392759']

[/quote]

Yes i've tryed updating bios and what not the zotac just wont work in x8 tryed it in other motherboards the msi card works in any pci-e slot but zotac only works when in x16 tryed asking for help at zotac but they just said they only guarantee the card to work in x16, when most motherboards go down to x8 for sli thats prue aids

So i've just wasted money on a 2nd 480 that i cant use.
[quote name='Jendrix' date='06 April 2012 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1333737237' post='1392759']

Yes i've tryed updating bios and what not the zotac just wont work in x8 tryed it in other motherboards the msi card works in any pci-e slot but zotac only works when in x16 tryed asking for help at zotac but they just said they only guarantee the card to work in x16, when most motherboards go down to x8 for sli thats prue aids

So i've just wasted money on a 2nd 480 that i cant use.

Posted 04/06/2012 06:46 PM   
Scroll To Top