750i Compatibility issues with Gforce cards
Hey Guys

Got this issue:

Upgraded my leadtek GT220 to a Gigabyte GTX560 on my XFX 750i mobo.
Clean format results in artifact 'lines' on screen, and after loading latest nvidia driver, ANY 3D task causes driver to "Driver crashed and has recovered"

Gigabyte card work 100% on intel shipset mobo.

Artifacts also appeared on winfast 9800, gigabyte ati 6850 and gigabyte GTX570

Spec:
XFX 750i SLI mobo
LGA 775 core2 quad 2.5 (also tested with 3.2Ghz P4, same error)
2Gb hynix memory (also tested with kingston, same error)
Gigabyte 720E Superb PSU
Segate HDD

Main thing to remember is system is ROCK SOLID while running the GT220... no overclocking done at all.

Please help!
Hey Guys

Got this issue:

Upgraded my leadtek GT220 to a Gigabyte GTX560 on my XFX 750i mobo.

Clean format results in artifact 'lines' on screen, and after loading latest nvidia driver, ANY 3D task causes driver to "Driver crashed and has recovered"

Gigabyte card work 100% on intel shipset mobo.

Artifacts also appeared on winfast 9800, gigabyte ati 6850 and gigabyte GTX570

Spec:

XFX 750i SLI mobo

LGA 775 core2 quad 2.5 (also tested with 3.2Ghz P4, same error)

2Gb hynix memory (also tested with kingston, same error)

Gigabyte 720E Superb PSU

Segate HDD

Main thing to remember is system is ROCK SOLID while running the GT220... no overclocking done at all.

Please help!
Attachments

DSC_0175.JPG

Posted 04/04/2012 08:40 AM   
There is no such thing as motherboard / graphics card incompatibility. If the GPU fits in the slot, it work.

What Power supply are you using? I am guessing you are on one which is not rated for running a GTX560.
There is no such thing as motherboard / graphics card incompatibility. If the GPU fits in the slot, it work.

What Power supply are you using? I am guessing you are on one which is not rated for running a GTX560.
Hi Raptor

I'm using a Gigabyte Superb 720W PSU certified for SLI, so power is not the issue.

What I meant by 'incompatibility' is between the chipsets, (xfx 750i with leadtek/gigabyte 9 series and 500 series cards) not the actual slots they plug into!

I have to mention that the gigabyte 560GT was tested on an asus AM2 mobo also with a nforce chipset, with the exact same result. 
Hi Raptor

I'm using a Gigabyte Superb 720W PSU certified for SLI, so power is not the issue.

What I meant by 'incompatibility' is between the chipsets, (xfx 750i with leadtek/gigabyte 9 series and 500 series cards) not the actual slots they plug into!

I have to mention that the gigabyte 560GT was tested on an asus AM2 mobo also with a nforce chipset, with the exact same result. 

Posted 04/04/2012 10:00 AM   
It would check all the capacitors, even though I believe they should be solid....cause the artifacting does look like power issues. Then I would use a different PSU...never assume your PSU is perfect.....

When you say that 3 different GPU's from the CHIPSET manufacturer and 1 ATI GPU's all exhibit the same issue, then you have to look at the board and PSU.

The BIOS....Have you discharge the capacitors, then reset the BIOS for an extended period? As the BIOS can become corrupted, and just reseting it for 10 seconds does not always clear it.
It would check all the capacitors, even though I believe they should be solid....cause the artifacting does look like power issues. Then I would use a different PSU...never assume your PSU is perfect.....

When you say that 3 different GPU's from the CHIPSET manufacturer and 1 ATI GPU's all exhibit the same issue, then you have to look at the board and PSU.

The BIOS....Have you discharge the capacitors, then reset the BIOS for an extended period? As the BIOS can become corrupted, and just reseting it for 10 seconds does not always clear it.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 04/04/2012 12:59 PM   
Hey Greybeard

Thx for the reply!

Not assuming that PSU is ok, it 'is' Ok! It's Currently running my GTX560 on an intel chipset (G31 chipset) and it's 100% (Going to test it tonight on a Z68 chipset)
This is an old issue I'm trying to fix as I want to sell the mobo.

All tests were run on Bios ver 1.3 and 1.4, all resulting in the same artifacts.
Fresh format, without OR with latest drivers still gives lines/artifacts. Removing GTX560 and installing GT220 results in system running 100%, no funny business on screen at all.

As for the extended restart, I have gone as far as killing power to the PSU, make cup of coffee, then try again!

This is REALLY frustrating, as I ran it in SLI using two XFX 8400GT's just fine.
Hey Greybeard

Thx for the reply!

Not assuming that PSU is ok, it 'is' Ok! It's Currently running my GTX560 on an intel chipset (G31 chipset) and it's 100% (Going to test it tonight on a Z68 chipset)

This is an old issue I'm trying to fix as I want to sell the mobo.

All tests were run on Bios ver 1.3 and 1.4, all resulting in the same artifacts.

Fresh format, without OR with latest drivers still gives lines/artifacts. Removing GTX560 and installing GT220 results in system running 100%, no funny business on screen at all.

As for the extended restart, I have gone as far as killing power to the PSU, make cup of coffee, then try again!

This is REALLY frustrating, as I ran it in SLI using two XFX 8400GT's just fine.

Posted 04/04/2012 01:18 PM   
Not so much an Extended start, but an extended CMOS clear....No matter how improbable it might sound....

Unplug the unit.
Press Start button.
Move the CMOS jumper to the clear position.
Remove the Battery.
Wait 10min.
Replace battery.
Move CMOS to Operational position.
Plug in.
Press Start button.

On the "Check Capacitors" these are those round tubes / barrel shapes with flat shiny tops. If they are not Flat, this can be an issue as these are energy storage units on the motherboard.

The issue your having, does it only appear once your in Windows? Not happening at any time prior?
Not so much an Extended start, but an extended CMOS clear....No matter how improbable it might sound....

Unplug the unit.

Press Start button.

Move the CMOS jumper to the clear position.

Remove the Battery.

Wait 10min.

Replace battery.

Move CMOS to Operational position.

Plug in.

Press Start button.

On the "Check Capacitors" these are those round tubes / barrel shapes with flat shiny tops. If they are not Flat, this can be an issue as these are energy storage units on the motherboard.

The issue your having, does it only appear once your in Windows? Not happening at any time prior?

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 04/05/2012 12:53 AM   
Morning Grey Beard

Issue only happens once in windows, before loading ANY drivers at all. Now that you mention it, booing in safe mode does NOT show the lines..
Will check the capasitors tonight, have not tried the CMOS battery thing.. will gave that a go too, however, installing the GT220 imidiatly after the 560GT dispalyed Lines, work 100%.

I also need to mention I tried the 560GT on an ASUS AM2 board running a nvidia nforce chipset with the EXACT same artifacts/lines..
Morning Grey Beard

Issue only happens once in windows, before loading ANY drivers at all. Now that you mention it, booing in safe mode does NOT show the lines..

Will check the capasitors tonight, have not tried the CMOS battery thing.. will gave that a go too, however, installing the GT220 imidiatly after the 560GT dispalyed Lines, work 100%.

I also need to mention I tried the 560GT on an ASUS AM2 board running a nvidia nforce chipset with the EXACT same artifacts/lines..

Posted 04/05/2012 08:19 AM   
If it were just the 560GT then I'd say it was the card....if it were just the 750i chipset, we could conclude it was the chipset...But its 3NVIDIA cards / 1ATI, its both an NVIDIA Intel and NVIDIA AMD...

There has to be another link. Is the VC the only part your moving from system to system? What are the specs of the other systems? Do they share some of the same parts?

Take the unit down to the BARE essentials.
1 stick of RAM
1 HD with OS
1 Videocard
1 CPU with Fan
1 PSU
1 Motherboard

Does it still produce the issue? If not, add parts 1 at a time until you get the error...remove last part, and continue...if error appears again...motherboard / PSU.

If so, Take the motherboard out of the case and rebuild the bare essentials and use a screwdriver on the PWR pins to start...does it still produce the error.

Does this board have a Molex connector near the middle of it for adding Power to the PCI?
If it were just the 560GT then I'd say it was the card....if it were just the 750i chipset, we could conclude it was the chipset...But its 3NVIDIA cards / 1ATI, its both an NVIDIA Intel and NVIDIA AMD...

There has to be another link. Is the VC the only part your moving from system to system? What are the specs of the other systems? Do they share some of the same parts?

Take the unit down to the BARE essentials.

1 stick of RAM

1 HD with OS

1 Videocard

1 CPU with Fan

1 PSU

1 Motherboard

Does it still produce the issue? If not, add parts 1 at a time until you get the error...remove last part, and continue...if error appears again...motherboard / PSU.

If so, Take the motherboard out of the case and rebuild the bare essentials and use a screwdriver on the PWR pins to start...does it still produce the error.

Does this board have a Molex connector near the middle of it for adding Power to the PCI?

Posted 04/05/2012 12:54 PM   
Hey Greybeard

Two completely different systems and modules, assembled in a pc chassis, and as testing progressed, moved to an anti-static test bench.
The only common part is the Graphics Card. The best I can make of it is that there is some issue between the nforce chipset, and the gforce chipset, which makes NO sense at all..

I will try borrow a friend’s 650sli board to test as well, but I'm not very hopeful...
Hey Greybeard

Two completely different systems and modules, assembled in a pc chassis, and as testing progressed, moved to an anti-static test bench.

The only common part is the Graphics Card. The best I can make of it is that there is some issue between the nforce chipset, and the gforce chipset, which makes NO sense at all..

I will try borrow a friend’s 650sli board to test as well, but I'm not very hopeful...

Posted 04/05/2012 01:19 PM   
Scroll To Top