Nvidia TDR crashes in World of Warcraft See toptic title
[font="Verdana"]TDR crashes in World of Warcraft

I have had quite a few Nvidia TDR crashes with WoW over the time. This has been with both Nvidia beta drivers and WHQL ones. I have also made sure to clean out my drivers completely on the PC after each install, but still I would get crashes.

To this day I still get the problem every now and then. Meaning the drivers won’t respond, screen freezing, turning black for a while before WoW crashes and you’re thrown into windows.
At present it isn’t near as bad as it has been when it comes to the frequency of the problem, but when they start happening in WoW the only thing that helps will be a reboot of the PC, or I will continue to crash in WoW after 2 - 5 minutes after the first Nvidia TDR crash has happened.

Narrowing the problem down it is the DirectX 11 option that does it. What is curious about the problem is that it is only WoW where I have had this problem. Other games where I have DirectX11 turned on as well works just fine, and I haven’t experienced any crashes while playing them.

I have noticed I’m by far not the only one with this problem, but my question is what is done to fix this?

I do realize TDR problems can be caused by quite a few problems, and have been troubleshooting them myself. Everything runs as it should, and again it is only World of Warcraft where I have encountered this problem.
I would expect software and hardware companies to talk together about such issues, and especially with a very popular game as World of Warcraft is. Obviously they need to know the issue first, but judging from the amount of posts regarding TDR crashes you would expect the problem has been known for some time, making it frustrating to see the issue is still there after all this time.

In short what I’m asking for is this:
Enabling the DirectX 11 option in World of Warcraft causes random driver crashes now and then.
Fix it asap please, trusting a large gaming company and hardware company like Blizzard and Nvidia can do so of course.
[/font]
TDR crashes in World of Warcraft

I have had quite a few Nvidia TDR crashes with WoW over the time. This has been with both Nvidia beta drivers and WHQL ones. I have also made sure to clean out my drivers completely on the PC after each install, but still I would get crashes.

To this day I still get the problem every now and then. Meaning the drivers won’t respond, screen freezing, turning black for a while before WoW crashes and you’re thrown into windows.

At present it isn’t near as bad as it has been when it comes to the frequency of the problem, but when they start happening in WoW the only thing that helps will be a reboot of the PC, or I will continue to crash in WoW after 2 - 5 minutes after the first Nvidia TDR crash has happened.

Narrowing the problem down it is the DirectX 11 option that does it. What is curious about the problem is that it is only WoW where I have had this problem. Other games where I have DirectX11 turned on as well works just fine, and I haven’t experienced any crashes while playing them.

I have noticed I’m by far not the only one with this problem, but my question is what is done to fix this?

I do realize TDR problems can be caused by quite a few problems, and have been troubleshooting them myself. Everything runs as it should, and again it is only World of Warcraft where I have encountered this problem.

I would expect software and hardware companies to talk together about such issues, and especially with a very popular game as World of Warcraft is. Obviously they need to know the issue first, but judging from the amount of posts regarding TDR crashes you would expect the problem has been known for some time, making it frustrating to see the issue is still there after all this time.

In short what I’m asking for is this:

Enabling the DirectX 11 option in World of Warcraft causes random driver crashes now and then.

Fix it asap please, trusting a large gaming company and hardware company like Blizzard and Nvidia can do so of course.

Posted 04/03/2012 07:53 AM   
We are still investigating this issue.
We are still investigating this issue.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 04/04/2012 09:24 AM   
I'm having the same problem, my GTX 570 is stable and TDR-free at 880MHz, but as soon as I play WoW in DX11 I get TDRs, usually after around 5-10min.

What I noticed is once I got a TDR and the card is running at the default 742MHz, the TDRs disappear. Only if I restore clock speed to 880MHz do I get TDRs again. At least that is what I could see in my rather limited testing, I soon reverted to DX9 where WoW runs TDR-free on 880MHz.
I'm having the same problem, my GTX 570 is stable and TDR-free at 880MHz, but as soon as I play WoW in DX11 I get TDRs, usually after around 5-10min.

What I noticed is once I got a TDR and the card is running at the default 742MHz, the TDRs disappear. Only if I restore clock speed to 880MHz do I get TDRs again. At least that is what I could see in my rather limited testing, I soon reverted to DX9 where WoW runs TDR-free on 880MHz.

Posted 04/04/2012 10:41 AM   
same issues in wow all solved now no crashes in over a week of play

bump your voltage in msi afterburner to 1025 or 1063 try first then second one, bet it solves your issues
same issues in wow all solved now no crashes in over a week of play

bump your voltage in msi afterburner to 1025 or 1063 try first then second one, bet it solves your issues

Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3

i7-2600k @ 4.4 GHz

Corsair H60 in Push/Pull

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

2 Zotac GTX 580s in SLI

Crucial M4 128GB SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM HDD

PSU Corsair HX 1050W

Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2410 (1920x1200)

Posted 04/04/2012 12:44 PM   
My voltage is on 1100 mV already. I know that this is OC related, since it occurs only when my card is at 880 MHz, but it's a bit odd that I can play BF3, Firefall and ME3 without problems and only WoW DX11 crashes...
My voltage is on 1100 mV already. I know that this is OC related, since it occurs only when my card is at 880 MHz, but it's a bit odd that I can play BF3, Firefall and ME3 without problems and only WoW DX11 crashes...

Posted 04/04/2012 03:37 PM   
I never ever had a single TDR playing World of Warcraft in DX11 mode on factory overclocked EVGA GTX570 at 797mhz i play alot and really never happend.BUT when i try to overcklock even with 10 mhz over stock overclock from EVGA TDR's start even though i never get TDR's in other games while overclocked.
I never ever had a single TDR playing World of Warcraft in DX11 mode on factory overclocked EVGA GTX570 at 797mhz i play alot and really never happend.BUT when i try to overcklock even with 10 mhz over stock overclock from EVGA TDR's start even though i never get TDR's in other games while overclocked.

Posted 04/04/2012 07:49 PM   
Well, with my EVGA 570 at stock overclock, I get these TDRs in WoW DX11 as well.
Well, with my EVGA 570 at stock overclock, I get these TDRs in WoW DX11 as well.

EVGA GTX 570 Superclock (GPU @ 797Mhz, memory @ 3900Mhz)
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
8 GB of Kingston DDR3-1600
2 x Dell U2412M @ 1920x1200
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
Enermax Modu87+ 600W PSU

Posted 04/16/2012 03:53 PM   
Same here. I'm using 2x GTX 570 in SLI mode v296.10. I've been struggling for over a month now how to prevent WoW to crash in DirectX 11 mode. The crashes also occur in single GPU mode but less frequent and it atleast brings me back to desktop instead of a black screen with a GPU error message where I need to press hard reboot to restart my system when it crashes in SLI mode. I've been doing this alot and I'm worried it will kill my hardware one day. Also single GPU mode + 3D mode in DX11 crashes even faster mostly within 1 minute gameplay.

I tried alot of things like changing to single GPU, reinstalled the game, repair client, DirectX, rollback NVIDIA drivers, reinstalled addons, NVIDIA voltage settings, reinstalled sound drivers, disabled GPU and CPU OC's, disable PhysX etc. all without any results.

Looks like I'm forced to play it on DirectX 9 mode.
Same here. I'm using 2x GTX 570 in SLI mode v296.10. I've been struggling for over a month now how to prevent WoW to crash in DirectX 11 mode. The crashes also occur in single GPU mode but less frequent and it atleast brings me back to desktop instead of a black screen with a GPU error message where I need to press hard reboot to restart my system when it crashes in SLI mode. I've been doing this alot and I'm worried it will kill my hardware one day. Also single GPU mode + 3D mode in DX11 crashes even faster mostly within 1 minute gameplay.

I tried alot of things like changing to single GPU, reinstalled the game, repair client, DirectX, rollback NVIDIA drivers, reinstalled addons, NVIDIA voltage settings, reinstalled sound drivers, disabled GPU and CPU OC's, disable PhysX etc. all without any results.

Looks like I'm forced to play it on DirectX 9 mode.

Posted 04/22/2012 11:50 AM   
I've been having issues as well with my GTX570(HD). My crashes are happening in everything from SC2 to Tribes Ascend at random times for no particular reason. Here's what the crash report says:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042212-7347-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xD411A4)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8006EEE010, 0xFFFFF880105441A4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.24
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.24
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.24 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This has become a real hindrance, as I've done countless driver cleans and re-installs of different versions to try to get the error to stop. Nothing has worked.
I've been having issues as well with my GTX570(HD). My crashes are happening in everything from SC2 to Tribes Ascend at random times for no particular reason. Here's what the crash report says:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042212-7347-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xD411A4)

Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8006EEE010, 0xFFFFF880105441A4, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)

Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys

product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.24

company: NVIDIA Corporation

description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.24

Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 301.24 , NVIDIA Corporation).

Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This has become a real hindrance, as I've done countless driver cleans and re-installs of different versions to try to get the error to stop. Nothing has worked.

Posted 04/22/2012 07:14 PM   
I think I got a possible solution.

The problem in WoW seems to be that the GPU has too little to do if you run with v-sync, so it does not get so hot. That means the fan will not spin up fully. This in turn means that the rest of the card, especially the memory chips might overheat.

I had my fan speed curve adjusted in Afterburner to keep the GPU temps at 70°C max while keeping the noise as low as possible. This seems to have been the problem. Today I ran into something similar while playing Crysis 2, after a while I got constant TDRs, up to the point where the game froze the moment the map was loaded. So I put the fan speed manually to 100% (extremely loud on the ASUS GTX 570 CUII cooler) and restored my OC to 880/2200MHz for GPU/RAM. The TDRs stopped completely and the back of the card - at the far end from the GPU chip - was much cooler to the touch.

For now I'm going with the predefined fan curve, did not get a TDR yet. But for a game like WoW that peaks at around 60% GPU usage, the curve might have to be adjusted to make up for the excess heat on the memory and other components of the card.
I think I got a possible solution.

The problem in WoW seems to be that the GPU has too little to do if you run with v-sync, so it does not get so hot. That means the fan will not spin up fully. This in turn means that the rest of the card, especially the memory chips might overheat.

I had my fan speed curve adjusted in Afterburner to keep the GPU temps at 70°C max while keeping the noise as low as possible. This seems to have been the problem. Today I ran into something similar while playing Crysis 2, after a while I got constant TDRs, up to the point where the game froze the moment the map was loaded. So I put the fan speed manually to 100% (extremely loud on the ASUS GTX 570 CUII cooler) and restored my OC to 880/2200MHz for GPU/RAM. The TDRs stopped completely and the back of the card - at the far end from the GPU chip - was much cooler to the touch.

For now I'm going with the predefined fan curve, did not get a TDR yet. But for a game like WoW that peaks at around 60% GPU usage, the curve might have to be adjusted to make up for the excess heat on the memory and other components of the card.

Posted 04/26/2012 06:45 PM   
Scroll To Top