Screen tearing on Plasma TV via HTPC? Is it my graphics card?
I don't know precisely where to post this so please correct me if it belongs elsewhere.

I've set up my HP 8510W Workstation laptop via HDMI to my 50in Samsung plasma television. When watching movies .avi and mpg4 stored on my hardddrive on the television I get a lot of screen tearing. Very annoying. It's not unwatchable. Just random jagged full width tears scrolling slowly downward on the screen. I'm running 30ft of HDMI, but I experimented with a six foot HDMI and nothing changes at all, same issue. I did some tweaking about with "triple buffering" and "vsync" settings in the nvidia panel, but nothing seemed to change.

POSTCRIPT.... (i just went back and tried experimenting with those settings again. how the devil to you enable "triple buffering" and make it stick? i use the up/down arrow keys to get "ON" in the selected box but when I press "APPLY" at the bottom of the screen the choice reverts back to "OFF")

Here are the laptop specs....

System Type Notebook
OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP PRO,
Notebook type Mid-size laptops (6-7.5 lbs.)
Screen type Wide-screen
WSXGA 1680x1050
Wireless capabilities IEEE 802.11g,
IEEE 802.11 n (draft),
Bluetooth,
IEEE 802.11b

Processor / Chipset

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 / 2.2 GHz
Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core
Cache L2 cache - 4.0 MB
64-bit Computing Yes
Front Side Bus 800.0 MHz
Chipset Mobile Intel PM965 Express
Platform Technology Intel Centrino Pro

Memory

RAM 2.0 GB ( 1 x 2 GB )
Max RAM Supported 4.0 GB
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Speed 667.0 MHz
Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin
Slots Qty 2
Empty Slots 1.0

Storage

Floppy Drive None
Hard Drive 120.0 GB HDD / 7200.0 rpm
Interface Serial ATA-150
Storage Removable None
Optical Drive BD-RE
Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD) / 1x (BD)
Write Speed 8x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL) / 1x (BD-R)
Rewrite Speed 8x (CD) / 4x (DVD±RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM) / 1x (BD-RE)
Optical Drive (2nd) None
Hard drive type Portable

Here are screenshots of the Nvidia control panel system info....

[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/svejkovat/CaptureItPlus634689671605156250.png[/img]
[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/svejkovat/CaptureItPlus634689672157187500-1.png[/img]
[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/svejkovat/CaptureItPlus634689672365000000.png[/img]
[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy303/svejkovat/CaptureItPlus634689672460625000.png[/img]

The 50in Plasma has 1080p and 600hz refresh rate, [i]implying a resolution of 1,920 pixels wide by 1,080 high[/i] (according to wikipedia) Not sure how much, if any, adjustment is accessible on the television.

I've tried numerous players. VLC, GOM, ZOOM, MPC, and others with no improvement. I cannot seem to figure out how to set up "dual view" or "dual screen" and "clone". All I'm able to utilize is Clone since dual screen never displays anything on my television set. What is the right choice for this HTPC application?

Can someone please help me understand how to tweak settings to repair the screen tearing issues on the plasma screen while watching movies via hdmi from my laptop?
I don't know precisely where to post this so please correct me if it belongs elsewhere.

I've set up my HP 8510W Workstation laptop via HDMI to my 50in Samsung plasma television. When watching movies .avi and mpg4 stored on my hardddrive on the television I get a lot of screen tearing. Very annoying. It's not unwatchable. Just random jagged full width tears scrolling slowly downward on the screen. I'm running 30ft of HDMI, but I experimented with a six foot HDMI and nothing changes at all, same issue. I did some tweaking about with "triple buffering" and "vsync" settings in the nvidia panel, but nothing seemed to change.

POSTCRIPT.... (i just went back and tried experimenting with those settings again. how the devil to you enable "triple buffering" and make it stick? i use the up/down arrow keys to get "ON" in the selected box but when I press "APPLY" at the bottom of the screen the choice reverts back to "OFF")

Here are the laptop specs....

System Type Notebook

OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP PRO,

Notebook type Mid-size laptops (6-7.5 lbs.)

Screen type Wide-screen

WSXGA 1680x1050

Wireless capabilities IEEE 802.11g,

IEEE 802.11 n (draft),

Bluetooth,

IEEE 802.11b

Processor / Chipset

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 / 2.2 GHz

Multi-Core Technology Dual-Core

Cache L2 cache - 4.0 MB

64-bit Computing Yes

Front Side Bus 800.0 MHz

Chipset Mobile Intel PM965 Express

Platform Technology Intel Centrino Pro

Memory

RAM 2.0 GB ( 1 x 2 GB )

Max RAM Supported 4.0 GB

Technology DDR2 SDRAM

Speed 667.0 MHz

Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin

Slots Qty 2

Empty Slots 1.0

Storage

Floppy Drive None

Hard Drive 120.0 GB HDD / 7200.0 rpm

Interface Serial ATA-150

Storage Removable None

Optical Drive BD-RE

Read Speed 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD) / 1x (BD)

Write Speed 8x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL) / 1x (BD-R)

Rewrite Speed 8x (CD) / 4x (DVD±RW) / 5x (DVD-RAM) / 1x (BD-RE)

Optical Drive (2nd) None

Hard drive type Portable

Here are screenshots of the Nvidia control panel system info....

The 50in Plasma has 1080p and 600hz refresh rate, implying a resolution of 1,920 pixels wide by 1,080 high (according to wikipedia) Not sure how much, if any, adjustment is accessible on the television.

I've tried numerous players. VLC, GOM, ZOOM, MPC, and others with no improvement. I cannot seem to figure out how to set up "dual view" or "dual screen" and "clone". All I'm able to utilize is Clone since dual screen never displays anything on my television set. What is the right choice for this HTPC application?

Can someone please help me understand how to tweak settings to repair the screen tearing issues on the plasma screen while watching movies via hdmi from my laptop?

Posted 04/02/2012 05:05 PM   
First I would try newer drivers, 266.58 or higher.

I don't believe the Vsync option in the control panel had any effect on video. Look in the actual media player for Vsync options.
First I would try newer drivers, 266.58 or higher.

I don't believe the Vsync option in the control panel had any effect on video. Look in the actual media player for Vsync options.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 04/03/2012 12:06 AM   
In case anyone else finds this thread with similar questions I was able to remedy it best by simply assigning the remote (samsung tv) as the ONLY display when plugged into HDMI. Did this via the Nvidia control panel. No cloning, sharing, dualview, etc. Very conveniently, when the HDMI cable is removed, the laptop screen defaults back to the primary display.

This helped with the screen tearing enormously no matter which video player I'm using.

Also had to school myself a bit on the concept of "overscanning" and how it applies to my displays, especially when setting up HTPC.
In case anyone else finds this thread with similar questions I was able to remedy it best by simply assigning the remote (samsung tv) as the ONLY display when plugged into HDMI. Did this via the Nvidia control panel. No cloning, sharing, dualview, etc. Very conveniently, when the HDMI cable is removed, the laptop screen defaults back to the primary display.

This helped with the screen tearing enormously no matter which video player I'm using.

Also had to school myself a bit on the concept of "overscanning" and how it applies to my displays, especially when setting up HTPC.

Posted 04/06/2012 05:28 PM   
Much later postscript. Always be sure that the refresh rate matches. A little more research, and installing the latest driver/s as was suggested above, enabled me to set 60hz which solved tearing and juddering issuese 1000 percent.
Much later postscript.

Always be sure that the refresh rate matches. A little more research, and installing the latest driver/s as was suggested above, enabled me to set 60hz which solved tearing and juddering issuese 1000 percent.

Posted 11/03/2012 05:16 PM   
Scroll To Top