GTX 680 - 2D - 5040x1050 Resolution Not Detected
  1 / 2    
I'm coming from Matrox TH2G territory, trying to make the leap over into nVidia 2D Surround. Unfortunately, when setting up the 2D Surround, the maximum resolution is only 4320x900 rather than the actual resolution of 5040x1050 (3x 1680x1050 BenQ G2200W displays). Two of them are connected via dual link DVI, the last one is via an HDMI-DVI cable. If configuring the monitors independently (ala extended desktop), all 3 displays correctly register the 1680x1050 resolution, so I'm a little confused where this is getting hung up. I can still connect my Matrox TH2G and reap the correct 5040x1050 resolution from the card as a workaround, but I'd rather be able to do the Surround.

I've tried swapping cables around at this point: DP-DVI, dual/single-link DVI, HDMI. Haven't had any luck. Attempting to set up a custom resolution also appears to fail with an unsupported error. I've gone through a clean reinstall of the newest (and only) driver for the 680- no change. At this point I'm at a loss for what else to try, but have gone ahead and opened a ticket with EVGA in the meantime.

Windows 7 64-bit
P67A-GD65-B3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K
GeForce EVGA 680 GTX
3x BenQ G2200W Displays

Any other ideas? Thanks!
I'm coming from Matrox TH2G territory, trying to make the leap over into nVidia 2D Surround. Unfortunately, when setting up the 2D Surround, the maximum resolution is only 4320x900 rather than the actual resolution of 5040x1050 (3x 1680x1050 BenQ G2200W displays). Two of them are connected via dual link DVI, the last one is via an HDMI-DVI cable. If configuring the monitors independently (ala extended desktop), all 3 displays correctly register the 1680x1050 resolution, so I'm a little confused where this is getting hung up. I can still connect my Matrox TH2G and reap the correct 5040x1050 resolution from the card as a workaround, but I'd rather be able to do the Surround.

I've tried swapping cables around at this point: DP-DVI, dual/single-link DVI, HDMI. Haven't had any luck. Attempting to set up a custom resolution also appears to fail with an unsupported error. I've gone through a clean reinstall of the newest (and only) driver for the 680- no change. At this point I'm at a loss for what else to try, but have gone ahead and opened a ticket with EVGA in the meantime.

Windows 7 64-bit

P67A-GD65-B3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2500K

GeForce EVGA 680 GTX

3x BenQ G2200W Displays

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Posted 03/30/2012 12:26 AM   
Sounds pretty odd, if the monitors are all the same this really shouldn't be happening, I can file a bug on our end for us to research locally for reproduction.

Did you purchase all these monitors at the same time?

Only reason I ask is that hypothetically there could have been a firmware/manufacturer change in between the monitor purchases that might be having an adverse side effect on the NVCP's ability to activate surround at that desired resolution.

If/When you get time, you can file a support request here:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask

Put a note to have it forwarded to me (Josh), and include your DXDIAG/MSINFO32/EDID info with all monitors attached and activated.

To get the EDID, please do the following:

1) Download the program here: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
2) Install and run the program
3) Click on File->Safe As
4) Safe it as a *.Bin file and attach it to your case.
Sounds pretty odd, if the monitors are all the same this really shouldn't be happening, I can file a bug on our end for us to research locally for reproduction.

Did you purchase all these monitors at the same time?

Only reason I ask is that hypothetically there could have been a firmware/manufacturer change in between the monitor purchases that might be having an adverse side effect on the NVCP's ability to activate surround at that desired resolution.

If/When you get time, you can file a support request here:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask

Put a note to have it forwarded to me (Josh), and include your DXDIAG/MSINFO32/EDID info with all monitors attached and activated.

To get the EDID, please do the following:

1) Download the program here: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

2) Install and run the program

3) Click on File->Safe As

4) Safe it as a *.Bin file and attach it to your case.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 03/30/2012 10:13 PM   
I purchased the 3 displays at the same time, refurbished on Amazon by a 3rd party seller. 2 of the 3 I had to RMA because they arrived with only partial firmware loaded and wouldn't display the full 1680x1050 resolution. After the RMA's completed everything worked fine but this may explain some things in the present problem.

I was able to generate dxdiag and msinfo32 files, but EDID info resulted in a full system lockup with red displays, forcing a reboot. This happens regardless of whether the Matrox is in use or if the displays are connected directly to the graphics card.

Is it worth submitting a ticket at this point or is the culprit most likely the displays?

Thanks for the help, Josh!
I purchased the 3 displays at the same time, refurbished on Amazon by a 3rd party seller. 2 of the 3 I had to RMA because they arrived with only partial firmware loaded and wouldn't display the full 1680x1050 resolution. After the RMA's completed everything worked fine but this may explain some things in the present problem.

I was able to generate dxdiag and msinfo32 files, but EDID info resulted in a full system lockup with red displays, forcing a reboot. This happens regardless of whether the Matrox is in use or if the displays are connected directly to the graphics card.

Is it worth submitting a ticket at this point or is the culprit most likely the displays?

Thanks for the help, Josh!

Posted 03/30/2012 11:50 PM   
hm.. i think i have the same problem or not?

I am running 3 monitors. Two 22" with 1680 x 1050 native resolution and in the mid a 24 " with 1920 x 1080 native res. With my old card Ati 6950, i was running at eyefinity with 5040 x 1050, so the mid monitor was scaled down to 1680 x 1050.

With my new gtx 680 the whole resolution ist scaled to 1280 x 1024, so i have a full res. of only 3840 x 1024.

can u help?

I am running 3 monitors. Two 22" with 1680 x 1050 native resolution and in the mid a 24 " with 1920 x 1080 native res. With my old card Ati 6950, i was running at eyefinity with 5040 x 1050, so the mid monitor was scaled down to 1680 x 1050.

With my new gtx 680 the whole resolution ist scaled to 1280 x 1024, so i have a full res. of only 3840 x 1024.

can u help?

Posted 04/01/2012 12:34 PM   
The usual culprit when you can't get the resolution you expect is the sync polarity issue.
For whatever reason NVidia requires all the displays have identical sync polarity in the shared resolution, given there are 4 possible combinations differing monitors often do not. The drivers basically pick the highest resolution where all the monitors have common resolution refresh and sync polarity.
You used to be able to work around this by creating custom resolutions, but I remember reading about issues with that in later drivers, you might want to do a search in this forum for custom resolutions.
The usual culprit when you can't get the resolution you expect is the sync polarity issue.

For whatever reason NVidia requires all the displays have identical sync polarity in the shared resolution, given there are 4 possible combinations differing monitors often do not. The drivers basically pick the highest resolution where all the monitors have common resolution refresh and sync polarity.

You used to be able to work around this by creating custom resolutions, but I remember reading about issues with that in later drivers, you might want to do a search in this forum for custom resolutions.
Posted 04/01/2012 04:27 PM   
Sounds to me like as ERP says you cheaped out on the monitors from some random 3rd party vendor and got some with differing levels of firmware and capabilities even though they are the same model and the nvidia drivers are choking on them. I'd try flashing the monitors to all the same firmware if possible.
Sounds to me like as ERP says you cheaped out on the monitors from some random 3rd party vendor and got some with differing levels of firmware and capabilities even though they are the same model and the nvidia drivers are choking on them. I'd try flashing the monitors to all the same firmware if possible.

Asus P8P67 Pro | i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz | 8 GB DDR3 1866 | Nvidia GTX760 SLI | Samsung 840 500GB SSD and WD 1TB | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Acer 3 X GD235HZ - Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Posted 04/02/2012 11:37 AM   
Thanks for the help, folks.

Haven't been able to find the BenQ G2200W BIOS firmware available online so I may be SOL there, not to mention the involved process of disassembling the monitor in order to flash the BIOS (was able to find that, at least, but the documentation is scant). All told I think this is the point where it's more economical to buy new (not refurbished) displays and package up the entire Matrox/monitor/295 setup to sell off. They're old displays as it is, and they've served their purpose well enough considering what I paid for them originally.
Thanks for the help, folks.

Haven't been able to find the BenQ G2200W BIOS firmware available online so I may be SOL there, not to mention the involved process of disassembling the monitor in order to flash the BIOS (was able to find that, at least, but the documentation is scant). All told I think this is the point where it's more economical to buy new (not refurbished) displays and package up the entire Matrox/monitor/295 setup to sell off. They're old displays as it is, and they've served their purpose well enough considering what I paid for them originally.

Posted 04/02/2012 01:07 PM   
At this point I would say the displays are the problematic thing here, EDID application isn't something ive ever heard of crashing a system before, and is very unobtrusive as far as software goes.

So I would have to assume its a hardware issue with the displays at this point unfortuntely.

[quote name='bwort' date='01 April 2012 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1333283672' post='1390679']

can u help?
[/quote]

Hey Bwort,

Im afraid this is most likely due to the polarity of the monitors that the resolution you are given is the only common resolution/polarity these monitors have in common, so unfortunately the only solution would be to get a 3rd identical monitor for the full surround resolution.
At this point I would say the displays are the problematic thing here, EDID application isn't something ive ever heard of crashing a system before, and is very unobtrusive as far as software goes.

So I would have to assume its a hardware issue with the displays at this point unfortuntely.

[quote name='bwort' date='01 April 2012 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1333283672' post='1390679']

can u help?

Hey Bwort,

Im afraid this is most likely due to the polarity of the monitors that the resolution you are given is the only common resolution/polarity these monitors have in common, so unfortunately the only solution would be to get a 3rd identical monitor for the full surround resolution.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 04/03/2012 09:10 PM   
With my SLI 680 GTXs, Monitor Asset Manager cases my monitors to turn deep red and I have to reset my computer. A good program to check you monitor polarity that works with the 680 gtx is EDID Manager, found here: http://www.extron.com/download/index.aspx. Load an active monitor, go to full view and scroll down till you see(for example): Digital Separate, Horizontal Polarity (+), Vertical Polarity (-). This is you horizontal and vertical sync polarities. Check this on all your active monitors. All monitors have to have matching vertical and horizontal polarity values for you to be able to get full resolution 2d surround.
With my SLI 680 GTXs, Monitor Asset Manager cases my monitors to turn deep red and I have to reset my computer. A good program to check you monitor polarity that works with the 680 gtx is EDID Manager, found here: http://www.extron.com/download/index.aspx. Load an active monitor, go to full view and scroll down till you see(for example): Digital Separate, Horizontal Polarity (+), Vertical Polarity (-). This is you horizontal and vertical sync polarities. Check this on all your active monitors. All monitors have to have matching vertical and horizontal polarity values for you to be able to get full resolution 2d surround.

Building a new rig is almost as good as sex.

Posted 04/20/2012 04:09 AM   
Hi,

I have this problem as well, but with different cards. I'm using 2x Asus 560ti GTX cards in SLI and can't get the resolution in surround to higher than 5060x1050. Each of the monitors support 1920x1080 60Hz.

My setup:

2x Asus 560ti GTX (in SLI)
2x Benq 2420HD (DVI)
1x Benq 2410HD (DVI)

I've looked at monitor asses manager and there doesn't seem to be any difference between the 2410 and 2420 monitors.

Could I please get some help with this? I have tried to create a custom resolution but get an error message saying my monitors do not support it when I click the test button. I have reinstalled the latest drivers but that didn't seem to help. I've also tried with VGA connectors instead of DVI and get the same problem.

Thanks,
Rob
Hi,

I have this problem as well, but with different cards. I'm using 2x Asus 560ti GTX cards in SLI and can't get the resolution in surround to higher than 5060x1050. Each of the monitors support 1920x1080 60Hz.

My setup:

2x Asus 560ti GTX (in SLI)

2x Benq 2420HD (DVI)

1x Benq 2410HD (DVI)

I've looked at monitor asses manager and there doesn't seem to be any difference between the 2410 and 2420 monitors.

Could I please get some help with this? I have tried to create a custom resolution but get an error message saying my monitors do not support it when I click the test button. I have reinstalled the latest drivers but that didn't seem to help. I've also tried with VGA connectors instead of DVI and get the same problem.

Thanks,

Rob

Posted 05/06/2012 01:28 PM   
Any time resolution issue are an issue when configuring surround when mix/matching displays regardless of how similar they are, is likely due to the Sync Polarity.

Requirements are a common refresh/resolution/sync polarity, the detection of resolution is actually very accurate and I have yet to see a resolution issue that wasn't due to this.

So it is likely the sync polarity is off on the 3rd odd monitor you have.
Any time resolution issue are an issue when configuring surround when mix/matching displays regardless of how similar they are, is likely due to the Sync Polarity.

Requirements are a common refresh/resolution/sync polarity, the detection of resolution is actually very accurate and I have yet to see a resolution issue that wasn't due to this.

So it is likely the sync polarity is off on the 3rd odd monitor you have.

Posted 05/07/2012 06:57 PM   
In my case, i have three XL2420T monitors on a GTX 680 and i m also limited at 4320x900, i m using 2xdvi & hdmi. The Displayport Modeline is different (+hsync +vsync) than the others connecters(+hsync -vsync).
I'll get an other MSI 680 oc when it will be back on retail.
Bios 80.4.9.0.c0
In my case, i have three XL2420T monitors on a GTX 680 and i m also limited at 4320x900, i m using 2xdvi & hdmi. The Displayport Modeline is different (+hsync +vsync) than the others connecters(+hsync -vsync).

I'll get an other MSI 680 oc when it will be back on retail.

Bios 80.4.9.0.c0

MSI Z68A-GD80 - Intel Core i7-2600K - 12GO GSKILL F3-12800CL9 - 2xCrucial M3 RAID0 - Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2To - 3 x BenQ XL2420T - MSI GeForce GTX 680 2 Go - Twin Frozr OC -PSU CORSAIR AX850

Posted 05/07/2012 11:35 PM   
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply... I checked the vsync and it was different between the 2420 and 2410 models... very frustrating as you can't get this information when you are buying the monitors.

In any case I've bought (reluctantly) a 3rd G2420HD monitor and now have the full 5760x1080.

For anybody reading this... try to find the vsync property of your monitors before you buy!

Rob
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply... I checked the vsync and it was different between the 2420 and 2410 models... very frustrating as you can't get this information when you are buying the monitors.

In any case I've bought (reluctantly) a 3rd G2420HD monitor and now have the full 5760x1080.

For anybody reading this... try to find the vsync property of your monitors before you buy!

Rob

Posted 05/09/2012 05:27 PM   
I had a curious idea...i took my old good DELL 2408WFP screen and switch it with one of my Benq,using the DP connection. I put them at the same resolution and rate.........and TADA 5760x1080 shows up !! When im using HDMI or Dislayport with the 3 benqs I don't have the same polarities than DVI Ports !! /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> I have the same issues on the 3 screens...

EDIT : Now it's ok on the 3 Benq !!! For the screen using the DP, i leave the polarity on (+hsync +vsync) and for the others using DVI(+hsync -vsync)..Now i'using 6034x1080 !! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />
I had a curious idea...i took my old good DELL 2408WFP screen and switch it with one of my Benq,using the DP connection. I put them at the same resolution and rate.........and TADA 5760x1080 shows up !! When im using HDMI or Dislayport with the 3 benqs I don't have the same polarities than DVI Ports !! /blink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' /> I have the same issues on the 3 screens...

EDIT : Now it's ok on the 3 Benq !!! For the screen using the DP, i leave the polarity on (+hsync +vsync) and for the others using DVI(+hsync -vsync)..Now i'using 6034x1080 !! /w00twave.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':w00twave:' />

MSI Z68A-GD80 - Intel Core i7-2600K - 12GO GSKILL F3-12800CL9 - 2xCrucial M3 RAID0 - Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2To - 3 x BenQ XL2420T - MSI GeForce GTX 680 2 Go - Twin Frozr OC -PSU CORSAIR AX850

Posted 05/10/2012 10:13 PM   
rezza,

I have been following your comments on the other thread and followed your link here to your apparent solution. I also am using 3 Benq XL2420T monitors with two connected using DVI and the third using Displayport. All of them are able to run the full resolution and refresh rate when the desktop is not spanned, but when I try to span them as one contiguous desktop, it limits the max resolution to 1440x900 or 3840x1024 and only shows a 75Hz refresh, just as you had mentioned. After you brought up the polarity issue, I went into the custom resolution section of the control panel and looked to see what mine were reading and my Displayport was also (+/+) while the DVI connections were (+/-). After attempting to change them and getting mixed results, and also swiching the cables between two of the monitors to double-check, I now believe those polarities are set by the connectors themselves and not the monitors (which appear to be capable of either setting until the connector forces them back). Now, my question is, if your final polarity setting is the same as what I have been working with all along, how did you get it to finally start working properly? Is there any chance you changed something else during your attempts to fix the problem other than the polarity settings you ended up with? The simply fact that you finally got it working leads me to belive that the current drivers are capable of letting you span a DVI/DVI/DP set-up with the XL2420T monitors, and the cables appear to be sufficient considering they give full res and refresh when not spanned. So what do you think finally made it work for you while mine is still borked? The truth is out there somewhere and it looks like you got it somehow. I would appreciate any other insight you may have. Thanks.

(I will post this in the other thread as well in case this helps the others reading over there as well)
rezza,

I have been following your comments on the other thread and followed your link here to your apparent solution. I also am using 3 Benq XL2420T monitors with two connected using DVI and the third using Displayport. All of them are able to run the full resolution and refresh rate when the desktop is not spanned, but when I try to span them as one contiguous desktop, it limits the max resolution to 1440x900 or 3840x1024 and only shows a 75Hz refresh, just as you had mentioned. After you brought up the polarity issue, I went into the custom resolution section of the control panel and looked to see what mine were reading and my Displayport was also (+/+) while the DVI connections were (+/-). After attempting to change them and getting mixed results, and also swiching the cables between two of the monitors to double-check, I now believe those polarities are set by the connectors themselves and not the monitors (which appear to be capable of either setting until the connector forces them back). Now, my question is, if your final polarity setting is the same as what I have been working with all along, how did you get it to finally start working properly? Is there any chance you changed something else during your attempts to fix the problem other than the polarity settings you ended up with? The simply fact that you finally got it working leads me to belive that the current drivers are capable of letting you span a DVI/DVI/DP set-up with the XL2420T monitors, and the cables appear to be sufficient considering they give full res and refresh when not spanned. So what do you think finally made it work for you while mine is still borked? The truth is out there somewhere and it looks like you got it somehow. I would appreciate any other insight you may have. Thanks.

(I will post this in the other thread as well in case this helps the others reading over there as well)

Posted 05/11/2012 09:10 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top