Max pre-rendered frames - Windows 7
  1 / 2    
Hi,

Is there another way of forcing this setting outside the control panel ? For some reason this option doesn't work in Windows 7. Anyone knows why this doesn't work ?

Thanks
Hi,

Is there another way of forcing this setting outside the control panel ? For some reason this option doesn't work in Windows 7. Anyone knows why this doesn't work ?

Thanks

Posted 03/29/2012 01:22 PM   
[quote name='UnevenPieces' date='29 March 2012 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1333027333' post='1389510']
Hi,

Is there another way of forcing this setting outside the control panel ? For some reason this option doesn't work in Windows 7. Anyone knows why this doesn't work ?[/quote]

[color="#4169E1"]There is an article about that over here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29333-max-pre-rendered-frames-benchmarks/ [/color]
[quote name='UnevenPieces' date='29 March 2012 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1333027333' post='1389510']

Hi,

There is an article about that over here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29333-max-pre-rendered-frames-benchmarks/

EVGA GTX 780, Haswell 4770K cpu@3.9 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, 250 GB SSD drive, 750W PC Power & Cooling power supply, Samsung 46" LED 1080p TV @60Hz, Soundblaster Z PCI-e.

Posted 03/29/2012 04:39 PM   
That article doesn't answer my questions.
That article doesn't answer my questions.

Posted 03/29/2012 07:25 PM   
What do you mean it doesn't work. The benchmarks Infinity7 posted clearly shows it working.
What do you mean it doesn't work. The benchmarks Infinity7 posted clearly shows it working.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the
driver have bugs, but this is not one of them. Now go fix it already." -fgiesen

Posted 03/29/2012 08:57 PM   
Changing it has no effect, it's like it is set to a fixed value. In XP for example, I could see a clear effect between 1 and 8.
Changing it has no effect, it's like it is set to a fixed value. In XP for example, I could see a clear effect between 1 and 8.

Posted 03/29/2012 09:06 PM   
Well of course XP still works better most of the time, but I was hoping you would tell us what game(s) in particular you're having trouble with.
Well of course XP still works better most of the time, but I was hoping you would tell us what game(s) in particular you're having trouble with.

"This is your code. These are also your bugs. Really. Yes, the API runtime and the

Posted 03/29/2012 09:26 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='29 March 2012 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1333056364' post='1389685']
[/quote]

It's a general thing, it's not that there is a problem with a specific game, but on xp, this setting allowed me to tweak better the game performance. Now in Skyrim I had to find some sort of a d3d9 wrapper to allow me to change this setting to bypass the ingame stuttering. In shooters I would set it to 1 to have a better mouse response time for example.

I don't know what setting it's fixed on win7 but definitely something is not right. It's a big step back if this can't be changed.
I also remember someone else talking about how changing this feature has no effect in win7.
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='29 March 2012 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1333056364' post='1389685']

It's a general thing, it's not that there is a problem with a specific game, but on xp, this setting allowed me to tweak better the game performance. Now in Skyrim I had to find some sort of a d3d9 wrapper to allow me to change this setting to bypass the ingame stuttering. In shooters I would set it to 1 to have a better mouse response time for example.

I don't know what setting it's fixed on win7 but definitely something is not right. It's a big step back if this can't be changed.

I also remember someone else talking about how changing this feature has no effect in win7.

Posted 03/29/2012 09:39 PM   
Well it's just that Windows 7 gaming performance often lacks compared to XP, especially in DX9 titles (which is most of them).
Well it's just that Windows 7 gaming performance often lacks compared to XP, especially in DX9 titles (which is most of them).

Posted 03/29/2012 09:58 PM   
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='29 March 2012 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1333058339' post='1389696']
[/quote]

That may be, but, hasn't anyone said anything about the functionality of this feature until now ? What's the reason of its existence in the Control Panel if it's useless ?
[quote name='nvtweakman' date='29 March 2012 - 11:58 PM' timestamp='1333058339' post='1389696']

That may be, but, hasn't anyone said anything about the functionality of this feature until now ? What's the reason of its existence in the Control Panel if it's useless ?

Posted 03/29/2012 10:04 PM   
Many people complained of lag on Windows 7. Some complain of lag in gaming, some lag on the desktop.

Infinity7 shows that the setting actually works, but I think there is no amount of pre-rendered frames can solve the fundamental problems that Windows 7 suffers.
Many people complained of lag on Windows 7. Some complain of lag in gaming, some lag on the desktop.

Infinity7 shows that the setting actually works, but I think there is no amount of pre-rendered frames can solve the fundamental problems that Windows 7 suffers.

Posted 03/29/2012 10:25 PM   
Is there another way of forcing this setting outside the control panel ? For some reason this option doesn't work in Windows 7. Anyone knows why this doesn't work ?[/quote]

[color="#4169E1"]To force the setting outside of the NVidia Control Panel use NVidia Inspector and do not set the value to "0".
The option works in Windows 7.
I don't know why you think it doesn't work. How did you determine that?
If you look at the results of tests given in that article you'll see that even though there is a difference it is so small that you probably cannot detect it without running diagnostic software to measure it while you're playing your game.[/color]

To force the setting outside of the NVidia Control Panel use NVidia Inspector and do not set the value to "0".

If you look at the results of tests given in that article you'll see that even though there is a difference it is so small that you probably cannot detect it without running diagnostic software to measure it while you're playing your game.

EVGA GTX 780, Haswell 4770K cpu@3.9 GHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit, ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, 250 GB SSD drive, 750W PC Power & Cooling power supply, Samsung 46" LED 1080p TV @60Hz, Soundblaster Z PCI-e.

Posted 03/29/2012 11:29 PM   
[quote name='Infinity7' date='30 March 2012 - 01:29 AM' timestamp='1333063785' post='1389724']
[color="#4169E1"]To force the setting outside of the NVidia Control Panel use NVidia Inspector and do not set the value to "0".
If you look at the results of tests given in that article you'll see that even though there is a difference it is so small that you probably cannot detect it without running diagnostic software to measure it while you're playing your game.[/color]
[/quote]

I've used the nvidiaInspector and nothing. How I have tested it ?

1. Left4Dead 2 - XP I had this set to 1 to eliminate some minor mouse lag, in win7 it doesn't work.
2. Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles - in XP I had this set to 1 to eliminate a scrolling stutter, in win7 it doesn't work.
3. Black Ops - in XP I had this set to 1 to have a better mouse response, in win7 it doesn't work.
4. Various tbs games - in XP I had this set to values higher than 3 to have a smoother scroll on lower frame rates, in win7 it doesn't work.
5. I can keep going ...

It's easy to see if this works or not, you lower it you have a better response ingame while you get some stuttering if your fps drops below your monitor refresh rate. If you raise it, you have a smooth rendering when your fps drop but, you get a slight mouse lag. It's not brain surgery.

What I've noticed is that if in some games I force the dx version to 9 some of the issues go away, so it must be related to dx also.
[quote name='Infinity7' date='30 March 2012 - 01:29 AM' timestamp='1333063785' post='1389724']

To force the setting outside of the NVidia Control Panel use NVidia Inspector and do not set the value to "0".

If you look at the results of tests given in that article you'll see that even though there is a difference it is so small that you probably cannot detect it without running diagnostic software to measure it while you're playing your game.

1. Left4Dead 2 - XP I had this set to 1 to eliminate some minor mouse lag, in win7 it doesn't work.

2. Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles - in XP I had this set to 1 to eliminate a scrolling stutter, in win7 it doesn't work.

3. Black Ops - in XP I had this set to 1 to have a better mouse response, in win7 it doesn't work.

4. Various tbs games - in XP I had this set to values higher than 3 to have a smoother scroll on lower frame rates, in win7 it doesn't work.

5. I can keep going ...

It's easy to see if this works or not, you lower it you have a better response ingame while you get some stuttering if your fps drops below your monitor refresh rate. If you raise it, you have a smooth rendering when your fps drop but, you get a slight mouse lag. It's not brain surgery.

What I've noticed is that if in some games I force the dx version to 9 some of the issues go away, so it must be related to dx also.

Posted 03/29/2012 11:50 PM   
[quote name='UnevenPieces' date='29 March 2012 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1333065051' post='1389732']

5. I can keep going ...

[/quote]

[color="#4169E1"]You used to be able to solve mouse problems on Windows XP by changing the MPRF values.
You're not able to solve those same mouse problems on Windows 7 by changing the MPRF values.
You've decided that the Windows 7 mouse drivers could not be causing the different behavior.
What is your mouse?[/color]
[quote name='UnevenPieces' date='29 March 2012 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1333065051' post='1389732']

5. I can keep going ...

You used to be able to solve mouse problems on Windows XP by changing the MPRF values.

You're not able to solve those same mouse problems on Windows 7 by changing the MPRF values.

You've decided that the Windows 7 mouse drivers could not be causing the different behavior.

What is your mouse?

Posted 03/30/2012 03:51 AM   
[quote name='Infinity7' date='30 March 2012 - 05:51 AM' timestamp='1333079500' post='1389783']
[color="#4169E1"]You used to be able to solve mouse problems on Windows XP by changing the MPRF values.
What is your mouse?[/color]
[/quote]

It's not a mouse problem, trust me.
[quote name='Infinity7' date='30 March 2012 - 05:51 AM' timestamp='1333079500' post='1389783']

You used to be able to solve mouse problems on Windows XP by changing the MPRF values.

What is your mouse?

It's not a mouse problem, trust me.

Posted 03/30/2012 07:41 AM   
Input lag has increased in Nvidia drivers. For me personally, the last completely lag free win7 driver was 186.82, soon as 190 series hit, input lag went up.

Also, open scaling options and change it to "Display - No Scaling" under "Adjust desktop size and position". The default setting has higher input lag even while running native rez.
Input lag has increased in Nvidia drivers. For me personally, the last completely lag free win7 driver was 186.82, soon as 190 series hit, input lag went up.

Also, open scaling options and change it to "Display - No Scaling" under "Adjust desktop size and position". The default setting has higher input lag even while running native rez.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77 UD5H + 2500k

Ram: 8g (4g x 2 Samsung 30nm MV-3V4G3)

GPU: MSI 570GTX reference card - stock

PSU: SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-650HT 650W

Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCI

HD: OCZ Agility 60g, Intel RST AHCI driver, Win7 x64

Mouse: G9x, Sensei, + more

One LCD attached, DVI mode, DPC Latency = 4

Posted 03/30/2012 10:09 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top