driver problem GeForce 6600 GT version 296.10
Hello,

I have never updated my graphics driver in the 6 years I've owned it. Got up to speed and I thought I'de update all my drivers starting with my graphics card driver.

I installed GeForce 6600 GT version 296.10 (for win xp 32b)and the next day my sound stopped working. I had also recently installed java(thinking that would make no difference) so I tried to re-install both of them, still no sound.

My system is comprised of;-

OS - XP home edition(32 bit)
GRaphics card - GeForce 6600 GT
Mother board - Asus a8n-sli Delux
CPU - AMD Athlon(tm)64 proccessor3200+ 2.01GHz
Ram - kingston ddr2 2.5gb
Hello,

I have never updated my graphics driver in the 6 years I've owned it. Got up to speed and I thought I'de update all my drivers starting with my graphics card driver.

I installed GeForce 6600 GT version 296.10 (for win xp 32b)and the next day my sound stopped working. I had also recently installed java(thinking that would make no difference) so I tried to re-install both of them, still no sound.

My system is comprised of;-

OS - XP home edition(32 bit)

GRaphics card - GeForce 6600 GT

Mother board - Asus a8n-sli Delux

CPU - AMD Athlon(tm)64 proccessor3200+ 2.01GHz

Ram - kingston ddr2 2.5gb

Posted 03/29/2012 08:29 AM   
Hi,

Occasionally our drivers will disable the onboard sound card, The first thing to check is boot into the motherboard BIOS, with either DEL or F8 on boot, and look for the option to enable your onboard sound card.

The options differ depending on the manufacturer, but usually its labeled under the Advanced options, and/or Integrated peripherals
Hi,

Occasionally our drivers will disable the onboard sound card, The first thing to check is boot into the motherboard BIOS, with either DEL or F8 on boot, and look for the option to enable your onboard sound card.

The options differ depending on the manufacturer, but usually its labeled under the Advanced options, and/or Integrated peripherals

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 03/30/2012 11:55 PM   
need a little more help...

f8 brings me into boot menu, get the options of selecting a boot first device;-

hard disc
-1st sata-m:
-bootable add in cards
cdrom
-1st master
-2nd master
legancy lan

del brings me into my setup, where in the advanced options i have are;-

cpu config
pcipnp
onboard device config
sli config
jumperfree config
lan cable status
peg link mode
speech config
instant music.

I've had a look in all the sub menues and i cannot find anything about a sound driver/card

need help
need a little more help...

f8 brings me into boot menu, get the options of selecting a boot first device;-

hard disc

-1st sata-m:

-bootable add in cards

cdrom

-1st master

-2nd master

legancy lan

del brings me into my setup, where in the advanced options i have are;-

cpu config

pcipnp

onboard device config

sli config

jumperfree config

lan cable status

peg link mode

speech config

instant music.

I've had a look in all the sub menues and i cannot find anything about a sound driver/card

need help

Posted 04/01/2012 10:38 PM   
in the bios, go to advanced -> onboard device configuration -> ac97 audio -> set to enabled.

(it can be found in the motherboard manual...)

however, i don't think a driver could disable or change a bios setting. it can only change or override the operating system's config.
in the bios, go to advanced -> onboard device configuration -> ac97 audio -> set to enabled.

(it can be found in the motherboard manual...)

however, i don't think a driver could disable or change a bios setting. it can only change or override the operating system's config.
Posted 04/02/2012 11:23 AM   
Our audio drivers on some systems disable the onboard audio card, as it tricks the computer into thinking our HD Audio drivers are a "new" primary sound device, BSH stated above this is how you would reenable your onboard audio.
Our audio drivers on some systems disable the onboard audio card, as it tricks the computer into thinking our HD Audio drivers are a "new" primary sound device, BSH stated above this is how you would reenable your onboard audio.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 04/03/2012 11:02 PM   
Hello again,

I have checked AC97 audio and it is set to enabled. The sound comes on when my OS boots up, and windows makes its introduction tune as normal, its just the sound cuts out straight afterward that. Its only happened since I renewed the driver.

Any thoughts?
Hello again,

I have checked AC97 audio and it is set to enabled. The sound comes on when my OS boots up, and windows makes its introduction tune as normal, its just the sound cuts out straight afterward that. Its only happened since I renewed the driver.

Any thoughts?

Posted 04/18/2012 08:08 AM   
Check your Windows Playback devices in the Sound properties in the control panel (windows), to ensure that the primary playback device is not being defaulted to HDMI audio from your onboard card.
Check your Windows Playback devices in the Sound properties in the control panel (windows), to ensure that the primary playback device is not being defaulted to HDMI audio from your onboard card.

Posted 04/18/2012 11:44 PM   
It says its the realtek audio device. there is only one option there. Tried to update it but it just deleted it..... so downloaded from the realtek again and it now works fine, apparently the old driver I had might not have been suitable for a custom system????
It says its the realtek audio device. there is only one option there. Tried to update it but it just deleted it..... so downloaded from the realtek again and it now works fine, apparently the old driver I had might not have been suitable for a custom system????

Posted 05/17/2012 10:06 AM   
Scroll To Top