BIOS version: 2.7
Processor: AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor 252
Total Memory: 12 GB
Graphics Card & Driver: Quadro FX 3450 -- 185.93
NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller
NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
NVIDIA nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge
Friendly Name: NVIDIA nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge
2x5000 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (7,200 rpm)
SCSI 70 GB HD

I have RAID installed on my 2x500 GB drives. The OS is Windows XP. Everything was working just fine. Then I decided to make a dual boot and install Windows 7 on SCSI drive. My Windows 7 was not stable, so I searched on the Internet and decided to update my drivers. On this site (http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html) I found drivers by Fernando that I thought are good for me and installed them. But unfortunately it did not work. Now I can't boot Windows 7, Windows XP also doesn't boot. I see the message NVIDIA degraded RAID. After that I decided to reinstall Windows 7 on SCSI drive, but unsuccessfully, when Windows need to restart, it cannot do it, nothing happens, just black screen. Could you please help me, I have no idea what I can do. Hopefully, Fernando could help me.
I have a HP xw9300 Workstation

Computer Type: Desktop

Manufactured by: Hewlett-Packard

BIOS version: 2.7

Processor: AMD Opteronâ„¢ Processor 252

Total Memory: 12 GB

Graphics Card & Driver: Quadro FX 3450 -- 185.93

NVIDIA nForce RAID Controller

NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller

NVIDIA nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge

Friendly Name: NVIDIA nForce4 HyperTransport Bridge

2x5000 GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (7,200 rpm)

SCSI 70 GB HD

I have RAID installed on my 2x500 GB drives. The OS is Windows XP. Everything was working just fine. Then I decided to make a dual boot and install Windows 7 on SCSI drive. My Windows 7 was not stable, so I searched on the Internet and decided to update my drivers. On this site (http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/win7-vista-optimized-nforce-driver-packs-t70915.html) I found drivers by Fernando that I thought are good for me and installed them. But unfortunately it did not work. Now I can't boot Windows 7, Windows XP also doesn't boot. I see the message NVIDIA degraded RAID. After that I decided to reinstall Windows 7 on SCSI drive, but unsuccessfully, when Windows need to restart, it cannot do it, nothing happens, just black screen. Could you please help me, I have no idea what I can do. Hopefully, Fernando could help me.

Posted 03/27/2012 08:44 PM   
I have not seen Fernando in some time....What I think has happened is that when you updated the drivers, it updated the RAID driver on the XP installed raid as well.

I have not seen Fernando in some time....What I think has happened is that when you updated the drivers, it updated the RAID driver on the XP installed raid as well.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

""Don't f with it if it ain't broken!""

Constantly updating drivers is a good way to F'up the whole system.

Posted 03/28/2012 12:55 AM   
Is it possible to rebuild the RAID? If yes, how can I do that?
Is it possible to rebuild the RAID? If yes, how can I do that?

Posted 03/28/2012 01:15 PM   
This is where you have me at a huge disadvantage.

[b][i]Keep in mind I think its a driver issue / MBR on the raid drives
[/i][/b]
It it were me....And keep in mind, it is not, nor do I know RAID....I would Mark all the disk drives and the controller port they are plugged into.

Then I would remove the power from the RAID drives but leave them plugged in.
Then I would take the drive you installed Win7 on and WIPE it and install XP.
Once it is installed and working (yes youll have to reactivate via the internet, it should be no problem) then I would shut down and connect the RAID drives power.
I would then tap the ESC (your board might have a diff key) to select the boot drive (which will be the new install)
Once back in Windows, use the Mediashield utility to have it rebuild the Raid.

[b][i]I am still speculating..[/i][/b]

There is a key you can tap during bootup that brings up a RAID utility F10 or R or something, that might be able to rebuild it. If it cannot, shut down, disconnect one of the raid drives, post it, enter the utility, shut down, replace the drive, post again and enter the utility and see if it can rebuild it then.
This is where you have me at a huge disadvantage.

Keep in mind I think its a driver issue / MBR on the raid drives

It it were me....And keep in mind, it is not, nor do I know RAID....I would Mark all the disk drives and the controller port they are plugged into.

Then I would remove the power from the RAID drives but leave them plugged in.

Then I would take the drive you installed Win7 on and WIPE it and install XP.

Once it is installed and working (yes youll have to reactivate via the internet, it should be no problem) then I would shut down and connect the RAID drives power.

I would then tap the ESC (your board might have a diff key) to select the boot drive (which will be the new install)

Once back in Windows, use the Mediashield utility to have it rebuild the Raid.

I am still speculating..

There is a key you can tap during bootup that brings up a RAID utility F10 or R or something, that might be able to rebuild it. If it cannot, shut down, disconnect one of the raid drives, post it, enter the utility, shut down, replace the drive, post again and enter the utility and see if it can rebuild it then.

My Opinion is no more important or right than yours. But if your using the LATEST drivers, go back to the prior set.

Piss Poor tech support blame all issues on drivers and assumes that your an idiot. Find a set that you know worked and see if the problem exists still.

Posted 03/29/2012 12:52 AM   
Thank you, I will try to do that.
Thank you, I will try to do that.

Posted 03/29/2012 05:28 PM   
I did as you proposed but unfortunately after reconnecting cables for RAID drives I couldn't boot neither to Windows XP with RAID nor Windows XP on my SCISI. Just black screen. Maybe you some ideas what I could try?
I did as you proposed but unfortunately after reconnecting cables for RAID drives I couldn't boot neither to Windows XP with RAID nor Windows XP on my SCISI. Just black screen. Maybe you some ideas what I could try?

Posted 03/29/2012 06:54 PM   
Not sure if I can help you rebuild an array , from the sounds of things , it sounds like it is toast , hopefully you have backup . You can go into the bios and delete your existing array , after doing that ? create a new one and install ( Win 7 ) if it were me . Good Luck .
Not sure if I can help you rebuild an array , from the sounds of things , it sounds like it is toast , hopefully you have backup . You can go into the bios and delete your existing array , after doing that ? create a new one and install ( Win 7 ) if it were me . Good Luck .

Posted 03/29/2012 09:38 PM   
[quote name='Marjenka' date='29 March 2012 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1333047280' post='1389621']
[/quote]

Did you tap the ESC key during the posting, select the BOOT device and the HD with the NEW XP install?

IF it has a POST screen for the motherboard manufacturer, youll tap ESC during theat screen to get the BOOT device menu.
[quote name='Marjenka' date='29 March 2012 - 01:54 PM' timestamp='1333047280' post='1389621']

Did you tap the ESC key during the posting, select the BOOT device and the HD with the NEW XP install?

IF it has a POST screen for the motherboard manufacturer, youll tap ESC during theat screen to get the BOOT device menu.

Posted 03/30/2012 12:42 AM   
seems simple. your boot device was set to the RAID array (is it RAID 0 or RAID 1 btw? striped or mirrored? does make a huge difference...), then you installed windows7 on the scsi drive without changing this boot order or disconnecting the raid drives. windows installs the boot loader to the first (boot) device, in this case, it was your raid array. then you f#cked up your raid with those tampered drivers, causing data corruption, so it won't boot anymore, so the boot loader won't work, neither windows xp, nor windows7 can boot. now even if you change your boot device to the scsi drive, it won't boot, as it doesn't have a boot loader on it. (or at least this is what i guessed from what you wrote.)
you can only rescue your windows7 install easily. first, unplug your raid drives. then boot from the windows7 dvd and choose "startup repair". it should find the win7 install and reinstall the boot loader on that drive. after this, you can select this drive from the bios to boot.
rescuing your raid array is tougher. especially if it is(was) a striped array.
i'd try to disconnect the raid drives first, to avoid any further damage/writes to them. then rescue your windows 7 install. once that works, isntall the proper nforce drivers, including mediashield, so it can work with the raid volumes. then reconnect your raid drives, and try to rebuild them from mediashield from under win7. (assuming they were mirrored.)
seems simple. your boot device was set to the RAID array (is it RAID 0 or RAID 1 btw? striped or mirrored? does make a huge difference...), then you installed windows7 on the scsi drive without changing this boot order or disconnecting the raid drives. windows installs the boot loader to the first (boot) device, in this case, it was your raid array. then you f#cked up your raid with those tampered drivers, causing data corruption, so it won't boot anymore, so the boot loader won't work, neither windows xp, nor windows7 can boot. now even if you change your boot device to the scsi drive, it won't boot, as it doesn't have a boot loader on it. (or at least this is what i guessed from what you wrote.)

you can only rescue your windows7 install easily. first, unplug your raid drives. then boot from the windows7 dvd and choose "startup repair". it should find the win7 install and reinstall the boot loader on that drive. after this, you can select this drive from the bios to boot.

rescuing your raid array is tougher. especially if it is(was) a striped array.

i'd try to disconnect the raid drives first, to avoid any further damage/writes to them. then rescue your windows 7 install. once that works, isntall the proper nforce drivers, including mediashield, so it can work with the raid volumes. then reconnect your raid drives, and try to rebuild them from mediashield from under win7. (assuming they were mirrored.)
Posted 03/30/2012 12:09 PM   
I tried to do as you proposed. Unplugged raid drives,

then boot from the windows7 dvd and choose "startup repair". But when I connected RAID drives, it didn't boot. My windows 7 is not booting when RAID drives connected

then boot from the windows7 dvd and choose "startup repair". But when I connected RAID drives, it didn't boot. My windows 7 is not booting when RAID drives connected

Posted 03/30/2012 09:04 PM   
[quote name='Marjenka' date='30 March 2012 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1333141489' post='1390069']

[/quote]
but did you aalso select your windows7 scsi drive to be the boot drive, from the bios or the bios boot menu???
[quote name='Marjenka' date='30 March 2012 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1333141489' post='1390069']

but did you aalso select your windows7 scsi drive to be the boot drive, from the bios or the bios boot menu???
Posted 03/31/2012 07:14 AM   
No, I didn't change bios. Actually, I was not sure what I need to change. Maybe I need to go Storage--->Controller Order? I'm not very familiar with bios. I thought that I could just choose from boot loader, boot loader gives me the choice to choose Earlier version of Windows or Windows 7. And yes, I have mirrored RAID.
No, I didn't change bios. Actually, I was not sure what I need to change. Maybe I need to go Storage--->Controller Order? I'm not very familiar with bios. I thought that I could just choose from boot loader, boot loader gives me the choice to choose Earlier version of Windows or Windows 7. And yes, I have mirrored RAID.

Posted 03/31/2012 11:10 PM   
[quote name='Marjenka' date='01 April 2012 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1333235416' post='1390496']
[/quote]
hmm, I can't help with that, you need to find that option yourself. My HP laptop has a boot device select option on the POST screen (without entering the bios at all), which works by pressing F9. On most desktop motherboards with commonly used AMI, AWARD or Phoenix bios'es, it is usually F11 or F12 or ESC for the quick boot menu. It may be different (or even missing) on your computer, though. I tried looking up your computer's manual where it shows "screenshots" of the bios, but didn't find such.
In the bios, the option is commonly under "Boot" menu, or "Advanced -> First boot device", some may even have further sub-menus to further prioritize hard drives or usb media, etc.
all in all, you have to find it yourself, but that "Controller Order" is most likely what you're looking for. does it have an option to select your SCSI drive?
[quote name='Marjenka' date='01 April 2012 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1333235416' post='1390496']

hmm, I can't help with that, you need to find that option yourself. My HP laptop has a boot device select option on the POST screen (without entering the bios at all), which works by pressing F9. On most desktop motherboards with commonly used AMI, AWARD or Phoenix bios'es, it is usually F11 or F12 or ESC for the quick boot menu. It may be different (or even missing) on your computer, though. I tried looking up your computer's manual where it shows "screenshots" of the bios, but didn't find such.

In the bios, the option is commonly under "Boot" menu, or "Advanced -> First boot device", some may even have further sub-menus to further prioritize hard drives or usb media, etc.

all in all, you have to find it yourself, but that "Controller Order" is most likely what you're looking for. does it have an option to select your SCSI drive?
Posted 04/01/2012 09:47 AM   
[quote name='bsh' date='01 April 2012 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1333273630' post='1390639']
hmm, I can't help with that, you need to find that option yourself. [/quote]

I think thats what he means :) - the boot loader is a Bios function you get with F9 / ESC and such before the OS ever loads. So, I assume that it was used so no BIOS editing was needed.

Damn.....I wish I knew more about RAID........

Ok, Ive got another thought.......

Download the RAID driver (you previously had installed)
Hope you have a floppy...put it on there.
Leave the RAID drives connected, remove the Win7 power.
Insert the XP cd.
See if you can boot the CD.
During the setup, use the F6 option.
Have it install the driver.
[quote name='bsh' date='01 April 2012 - 04:47 AM' timestamp='1333273630' post='1390639']

hmm, I can't help with that, you need to find that option yourself.

I think thats what he means :) - the boot loader is a Bios function you get with F9 / ESC and such before the OS ever loads. So, I assume that it was used so no BIOS editing was needed.

Damn.....I wish I knew more about RAID........

Ok, Ive got another thought.......

Download the RAID driver (you previously had installed)

Hope you have a floppy...put it on there.

Leave the RAID drives connected, remove the Win7 power.

Insert the XP cd.

See if you can boot the CD.

During the setup, use the F6 option.

Have it install the driver.

Posted 04/01/2012 01:39 PM   
Thanks for the advice, Greybear. I have a driver on my floppy. But I’m afraid I’ll lose my Windows XP installation if I start setup using F6 option. I found on the Internet the document “Setting Up SATA RAID on the HP xw9300”. And somewhere it says “Select Y to clear the disk data.” I really want to save my Windows XP installation, but not sure if it’s possible. If I could find some way to rebuild my RAID without losing data it would be great.
Thanks for the advice, Greybear. I have a driver on my floppy. But I’m afraid I’ll lose my Windows XP installation if I start setup using F6 option. I found on the Internet the document “Setting Up SATA RAID on the HP xw9300”. And somewhere it says “Select Y to clear the disk data.” I really want to save my Windows XP installation, but not sure if it’s possible. If I could find some way to rebuild my RAID without losing data it would be great.

Posted 04/02/2012 01:20 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top