GTX 680 + Dell XPS 8300
  5 / 12    
[quote name='MeltedSolid' date='19 May 2012 - 02:52 AM' timestamp='1337392377' post='1410244']
I'm running my xps 8300 now (I'm typing this on it) with the GTX 680 in it and using the built in VGA port and it's running just fine, as if the GTX 680 wasn't even in it. I went ahead and did a 3D mark vantage benchmark (I wouldn't dare do a 3D mark 11) and got 1400 (I get 20,850 with my overclocked GTX 560 Ti). I don't even think the fan on the GTX 680 is spinning.
[/quote]

Just as I suspected. This was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this issue yesterday, which is why I asked you to test this theory. The SBIOS is simply failing to disable the IGP, which means the GTX 680 cannot take over as the primary display adapter. I find it absolutely hilarious that Dell's techs could not formulate this in a reasonable amount of time.

If the SBIOS provided a way to manually disable the IGP (like all retail motherboards do), it's likely that the 680 would function correctly. You may want to double check the BIOS settings to see if this option is available, because I've used some OEM systems that allowed this. Some of these locked BIOS's will let you disable the IGP completely, while others will let you choose between integrated or PCIe graphics solutions. Be sure to thoroughly check out all the settings, especially any relating to PCIe.
[quote name='MeltedSolid' date='19 May 2012 - 02:52 AM' timestamp='1337392377' post='1410244']

I'm running my xps 8300 now (I'm typing this on it) with the GTX 680 in it and using the built in VGA port and it's running just fine, as if the GTX 680 wasn't even in it. I went ahead and did a 3D mark vantage benchmark (I wouldn't dare do a 3D mark 11) and got 1400 (I get 20,850 with my overclocked GTX 560 Ti). I don't even think the fan on the GTX 680 is spinning.

Just as I suspected. This was the first thing that came to my mind when I heard about this issue yesterday, which is why I asked you to test this theory. The SBIOS is simply failing to disable the IGP, which means the GTX 680 cannot take over as the primary display adapter. I find it absolutely hilarious that Dell's techs could not formulate this in a reasonable amount of time.

If the SBIOS provided a way to manually disable the IGP (like all retail motherboards do), it's likely that the 680 would function correctly. You may want to double check the BIOS settings to see if this option is available, because I've used some OEM systems that allowed this. Some of these locked BIOS's will let you disable the IGP completely, while others will let you choose between integrated or PCIe graphics solutions. Be sure to thoroughly check out all the settings, especially any relating to PCIe.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/19/2012 03:53 AM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='18 May 2012 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1337399610' post='1410274']

[/quote]

I checked. I don't think there is such option. It's a consequence of companies like Dell dumbing down computers for consumers. There aren't that many menus at all. All of it is about boot order, CPU settings like enabling Turbo Boost and Hyper Threading, and enabling or turn off card reader/onboard ethernet and stuff. If there was a simple fix like that I would hope NVIDIA can figure it out and not have to make this VBIOS go around. The fix though is totally conceivably and might be quite simple.

The motherboard simply needs to recognize the graphics card is there. From my understanding, the SBIOS identifies whether or not a PCI-e device is a graphics card based on how the card identifies itself through the VBIOS. That means that either the SBIOS can be fixed to recognize the card, or the VBIOS can be fixed so that the SBIOS can recognize it. It's totally conceivable that this could be fixed through vBIOS. I do understand that NVIDIA and its partners need to thoroughly test the VBIOS before distributing it to ALL of their customers but a status update from NVIDIA would be nice, especially since the vbios was supposed to avaiable to board partners about two weeks ago.
[quote name='slamscaper' date='18 May 2012 - 11:53 PM' timestamp='1337399610' post='1410274']

I checked. I don't think there is such option. It's a consequence of companies like Dell dumbing down computers for consumers. There aren't that many menus at all. All of it is about boot order, CPU settings like enabling Turbo Boost and Hyper Threading, and enabling or turn off card reader/onboard ethernet and stuff. If there was a simple fix like that I would hope NVIDIA can figure it out and not have to make this VBIOS go around. The fix though is totally conceivably and might be quite simple.

The motherboard simply needs to recognize the graphics card is there. From my understanding, the SBIOS identifies whether or not a PCI-e device is a graphics card based on how the card identifies itself through the VBIOS. That means that either the SBIOS can be fixed to recognize the card, or the VBIOS can be fixed so that the SBIOS can recognize it. It's totally conceivable that this could be fixed through vBIOS. I do understand that NVIDIA and its partners need to thoroughly test the VBIOS before distributing it to ALL of their customers but a status update from NVIDIA would be nice, especially since the vbios was supposed to avaiable to board partners about two weeks ago.

Posted 05/19/2012 04:11 AM   
[quote name='nr348' date='19 May 2012 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1337400673' post='1410276']

The motherboard simply needs to recognize the graphics card is there. From my understanding, the SBIOS identifies whether or not a PCI-e device is a graphics card based on how the card identifies itself through the VBIOS. That means that either the SBIOS can be fixed to recognize the card, or the VBIOS can be fixed so that the SBIOS can recognize it. It's totally conceivable that this could be fixed through vBIOS. I do understand that NVIDIA and its partners need to thoroughly test the VBIOS before distributing it to ALL of their customers but an update from NVIDIA would be nice, especially since the update was supposed to avaiable to board partners about two weeks ago.
[/quote]

That's a bummer that the SBIOS is so basic. The OEM systems I've owned in the past were not locked down quite so bad.

Anyway, you are correct in that the SBIOS must recognize the GPU to disable the IGP and transfer control over to it. My guess is that Nvidia will work around this by providing a vBIOS that fools the SBIOS into thinking the GTX 680 is a different GPU (one that's supported). Once Windows boots and the drivers are loaded, the 680 will be correctly identified courtesy of the display drivers. It's a shame that Nvidia must provide a crude workaround like this, but I guess it has to be done being that Dell refuses to update the SBIOS. Dell is really dropping the ball on this one.
[quote name='nr348' date='19 May 2012 - 05:11 AM' timestamp='1337400673' post='1410276']

The motherboard simply needs to recognize the graphics card is there. From my understanding, the SBIOS identifies whether or not a PCI-e device is a graphics card based on how the card identifies itself through the VBIOS. That means that either the SBIOS can be fixed to recognize the card, or the VBIOS can be fixed so that the SBIOS can recognize it. It's totally conceivable that this could be fixed through vBIOS. I do understand that NVIDIA and its partners need to thoroughly test the VBIOS before distributing it to ALL of their customers but an update from NVIDIA would be nice, especially since the update was supposed to avaiable to board partners about two weeks ago.

That's a bummer that the SBIOS is so basic. The OEM systems I've owned in the past were not locked down quite so bad.

Anyway, you are correct in that the SBIOS must recognize the GPU to disable the IGP and transfer control over to it. My guess is that Nvidia will work around this by providing a vBIOS that fools the SBIOS into thinking the GTX 680 is a different GPU (one that's supported). Once Windows boots and the drivers are loaded, the 680 will be correctly identified courtesy of the display drivers. It's a shame that Nvidia must provide a crude workaround like this, but I guess it has to be done being that Dell refuses to update the SBIOS. Dell is really dropping the ball on this one.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 05/19/2012 04:22 AM   
If only Dell would have fixed it, it would have been so much simpler. I bet Nvidia would have fixed the SBIOS themselves if it didn't void every warranty imaginable. I really hope Nvidia gives an update soon, I don't want to go and buy a new motherboard to run my GTX 680.
If only Dell would have fixed it, it would have been so much simpler. I bet Nvidia would have fixed the SBIOS themselves if it didn't void every warranty imaginable. I really hope Nvidia gives an update soon, I don't want to go and buy a new motherboard to run my GTX 680.

Posted 05/19/2012 04:34 AM   
I'm disappointed that my new GTX 680 won't work in my XPS 8300. EVGA says that they don't have the fix yet. Can we get an update on the vbios? Otherwise I'm returning my GTX 680 to the store.
I'm disappointed that my new GTX 680 won't work in my XPS 8300. EVGA says that they don't have the fix yet. Can we get an update on the vbios? Otherwise I'm returning my GTX 680 to the store.

Posted 05/21/2012 04:22 AM   
You might as well return your 600 series gtx cards now if
You have a dell xps8300! Dell has confirmed they will no longer certify any new gpus for the xps8300 motherboards since the xps 8500 are no released and available for sale. I had a 670 and 680 and neither posted so I sold them on profit and put a 3gb gtx 580 in my xps 8300 with 630 watt psu. The gtx 580 is the best card the xps 8300 can and will ever handle with the factory intel dell locked motherboard!
You might as well return your 600 series gtx cards now if

You have a dell xps8300! Dell has confirmed they will no longer certify any new gpus for the xps8300 motherboards since the xps 8500 are no released and available for sale. I had a 670 and 680 and neither posted so I sold them on profit and put a 3gb gtx 580 in my xps 8300 with 630 watt psu. The gtx 580 is the best card the xps 8300 can and will ever handle with the factory intel dell locked motherboard!

Posted 05/21/2012 03:24 PM   
Yes I know all it would take is a simple mb bios update for the 6 series to work by its NOT going to happen! The A6 bios update dell released in nov 11 is the LAST bios update ever for the xps 8300. It added 5 series compatibility specificly the 110 gpu support in 570 and 580 590 and 560 se 448 cards and 7xxx series amd support....
Yes I know all it would take is a simple mb bios update for the 6 series to work by its NOT going to happen! The A6 bios update dell released in nov 11 is the LAST bios update ever for the xps 8300. It added 5 series compatibility specificly the 110 gpu support in 570 and 580 590 and 560 se 448 cards and 7xxx series amd support....

Posted 05/21/2012 03:29 PM   
We're not waiting for a new mb bios from dell. We're waiting for NVIDIA to release that VBIOS update they're working on so that the 680 will POST even without a new mbbios from dell. It was supposed to be released 2 weeks ago.

[quote]The gtx 580 is the best card the xps 8300 can and will ever handle with the factory intel dell locked motherboard!
[/quote]

And I think I heard that the 7000 seies from AMD posts fine.
We're not waiting for a new mb bios from dell. We're waiting for NVIDIA to release that VBIOS update they're working on so that the 680 will POST even without a new mbbios from dell. It was supposed to be released 2 weeks ago.

The gtx 580 is the best card the xps 8300 can and will ever handle with the factory intel dell locked motherboard!

Posted 05/21/2012 06:31 PM   
Well shoot, this will be the last time I go with Dell. I really wanted to upgrade my computer with a 670 but I guess I'm stuck with AMD. Anyone know if the 8300's stock psu can handle the 7870?
Well shoot, this will be the last time I go with Dell. I really wanted to upgrade my computer with a 670 but I guess I'm stuck with AMD. Anyone know if the 8300's stock psu can handle the 7870?

Posted 05/21/2012 06:40 PM   
[quote name='nr348' date='21 May 2012 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1337625067' post='1411169']

[/quote]

Nr348- I heard about nvidia working on this too but I seriously doubt this will fix the problem. Even so, everyone with 600 series cards in hand right now would have to get those cards updated or flashed before it would work so I hope you have another computer to put it in, flash the card and then go back to the 8300.... And IMO, the 580 is a higher performing card with less compatibility issues then the 7xxx series amd cards.
[quote name='nr348' date='21 May 2012 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1337625067' post='1411169']

Nr348- I heard about nvidia working on this too but I seriously doubt this will fix the problem. Even so, everyone with 600 series cards in hand right now would have to get those cards updated or flashed before it would work so I hope you have another computer to put it in, flash the card and then go back to the 8300.... And IMO, the 580 is a higher performing card with less compatibility issues then the 7xxx series amd cards.

Posted 05/21/2012 07:03 PM   
[quote name='lucidquasar' date='21 May 2012 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1337625655' post='1411173']
[/quote]

Dells 8300 stock psu is under-rated at 460 watts. For a single 7870 you simply need to have one six pin 75 watt pcie power connector and the xps psu has two! You should be just fine assuming your not running overclocked or like 8 external power hungry USB devices and trying to burn blu rays at the same time as playing games.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7870/Pages/radeon-7870.aspx#2

I would buy that card and try it out, worst case situation you'll need to go out and Spend 50 bucks on a 530-630 watt psu off newegg. I'm running the 630 watt raidmax in my 8300 with gtx 580 no issues at all!
[quote name='lucidquasar' date='21 May 2012 - 06:40 PM' timestamp='1337625655' post='1411173']

Dells 8300 stock psu is under-rated at 460 watts. For a single 7870 you simply need to have one six pin 75 watt pcie power connector and the xps psu has two! You should be just fine assuming your not running overclocked or like 8 external power hungry USB devices and trying to burn blu rays at the same time as playing games.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7870/Pages/radeon-7870.aspx#2

I would buy that card and try it out, worst case situation you'll need to go out and Spend 50 bucks on a 530-630 watt psu off newegg. I'm running the 630 watt raidmax in my 8300 with gtx 580 no issues at all!

Posted 05/21/2012 07:12 PM   
I have a 650 W power supply. I don't know, my understanding is the NVIDIA does have a workaround in place, they're taking a while to release it though. I'd lose money if I sold my 680. It's possible that I can flash the card on the XPS 8300 because the integrated graphics works fine with the card in it. I'll wait another week or so.
I have a 650 W power supply. I don't know, my understanding is the NVIDIA does have a workaround in place, they're taking a while to release it though. I'd lose money if I sold my 680. It's possible that I can flash the card on the XPS 8300 because the integrated graphics works fine with the card in it. I'll wait another week or so.

Posted 05/21/2012 07:17 PM   
[quote name='nr348' date='21 May 2012 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1337627873' post='1411192']
[/quote]

Oh I see what saying and I agree with that and was in the same situation as you. I also was using the igp port while my 680 was connected and my only concern is when booted up in windows device manager in no way recognizes the 680 as being there so the flash update wouldn't be possible to initiate without the card first being recognized as their. Idk, that's just my opinion from prior experiences flashing devices. Somehow it needs to first be recognized before the update process can begin and currently that's impossible with our dell xps 8300 mb and the intel z68 chipset... The new 77 series chipset in the xps 8500 does not have this issue and is also been verified to work with 600 series gtx cards.
[quote name='nr348' date='21 May 2012 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1337627873' post='1411192']

Oh I see what saying and I agree with that and was in the same situation as you. I also was using the igp port while my 680 was connected and my only concern is when booted up in windows device manager in no way recognizes the 680 as being there so the flash update wouldn't be possible to initiate without the card first being recognized as their. Idk, that's just my opinion from prior experiences flashing devices. Somehow it needs to first be recognized before the update process can begin and currently that's impossible with our dell xps 8300 mb and the intel z68 chipset... The new 77 series chipset in the xps 8500 does not have this issue and is also been verified to work with 600 series gtx cards.

Posted 05/21/2012 07:28 PM   
[/quote]

Lose money? If you got it retail you can make money! The 680s are sold out everywhere... I was able to make 225 bucks more then what I paid for my 670 and 680... Also with pcie 2.0 you won't really benifit that much from the 600 series cards over a nice 580 at high resolution hd display gaming....

Lose money? If you got it retail you can make money! The 680s are sold out everywhere... I was able to make 225 bucks more then what I paid for my 670 and 680... Also with pcie 2.0 you won't really benifit that much from the 600 series cards over a nice 580 at high resolution hd display gaming....

Posted 05/21/2012 07:34 PM   
You could probably sell the XPS mainboard on eBay to someone who doesn't give a crap about gaming and then get a cheaper P67 or Z68 that actually works with the 680... I doubt you would lose much money all said and done.. maybe $50.

I agree on Dell BIOS being terrible I have seen so many incompatibilities with video hardware for YEARS now on Dells..
You could probably sell the XPS mainboard on eBay to someone who doesn't give a crap about gaming and then get a cheaper P67 or Z68 that actually works with the 680... I doubt you would lose much money all said and done.. maybe $50.

I agree on Dell BIOS being terrible I have seen so many incompatibilities with video hardware for YEARS now on Dells..

Posted 05/21/2012 07:34 PM   
  5 / 12    
Scroll To Top