GeForce GTX 560Ti fan speed max at 75%
  1 / 2    
Hi, how can I unlock the fan speed on my 560 Ti? The max is set to 75%, and I cannot get it to go higher... Let alone find an answer. I found an answer for the EVGA version, but I do not have an EVGA so the bios update doesn't work. I cannot tell you what manufacturer I have, I can't find it for some reason. There is no labeling on the box, or any of the booklets. The instruction booklet just says NVIDIA all over it and so does the box. Here is a picture from GPU-Z:
[IMG]http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/03/24/d5f.png[/IMG]

Thanks for the help.
Hi, how can I unlock the fan speed on my 560 Ti? The max is set to 75%, and I cannot get it to go higher... Let alone find an answer. I found an answer for the EVGA version, but I do not have an EVGA so the bios update doesn't work. I cannot tell you what manufacturer I have, I can't find it for some reason. There is no labeling on the box, or any of the booklets. The instruction booklet just says NVIDIA all over it and so does the box. Here is a picture from GPU-Z:

Thanks for the help.

Posted 03/25/2012 03:36 AM   
[quote name='james9120' date='24 March 2012 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1332646612' post='1387542']
Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

This is easy enough and you may have options in the system BIOS. So let us begin with full system specs and model numbers please. The more info you provide the better I may help, simple as that!
[quote name='james9120' date='24 March 2012 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1332646612' post='1387542']

Thanks for the help.

This is easy enough and you may have options in the system BIOS. So let us begin with full system specs and model numbers please. The more info you provide the better I may help, simple as that!

Posted 03/25/2012 06:27 AM   
[quote name='t3t4' date='25 March 2012 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1332656857' post='1387561']
[/quote]
Sorry, I should of known that lol. Here ya go:

[quote]CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 6 Cores - 6 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor
CPU EXT : MMX(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, XOP
CPUID : F.1.2 / Extended : 15.1
CPU Cache : L1 : 3 x 64 / 6 x 16 KB - L2 : 3 x 2048 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
Core : Zambezi (32 nm) / Stepping : OR-B2
Freq : 4218.05 MHz (222 * 19)
MB Brand : ASRock
MB Model : 970 Extreme4
NB : AMD RD9x0 rev 02
SB : AMD SB910/950 rev 40
GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
GPU Clocks : Core 822 MHz / RAM 2004 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0
RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 444 MHz (1:2) @ 6-6-6-15
Slot 1 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Corsair
Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Corsair[/quote]
[quote name='t3t4' date='25 March 2012 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1332656857' post='1387561']

Sorry, I should of known that lol. Here ya go:

CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 6 Cores - 6 Threads

CPU PSN : AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor

CPU EXT : MMX(+), SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2, 4A), x86-64, AMD-V, AES, AVX, XOP

CPUID : F.1.2 / Extended : 15.1

CPU Cache : L1 : 3 x 64 / 6 x 16 KB - L2 : 3 x 2048 KB

CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB

Core : Zambezi (32 nm) / Stepping : OR-B2

Freq : 4218.05 MHz (222 * 19)

MB Brand : ASRock

MB Model : 970 Extreme4

NB : AMD RD9x0 rev 02

SB : AMD SB910/950 rev 40

GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

GPU Clocks : Core 822 MHz / RAM 2004 MHz

DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 8192 MB DDR3 Dual Channel

RAM Speed : 444 MHz (1:2) @ 6-6-6-15

Slot 1 : 4096MB (10700)

Slot 1 Manufacturer : Corsair

Slot 2 : 4096MB (10700)

Slot 2 Manufacturer : Corsair

Posted 03/25/2012 02:51 PM   
I checked everywhere in my bios and didn't find anything. I read in some places that its locked to 75% in the bios of the GPU, but I'm not 100% sure.
I checked everywhere in my bios and didn't find anything. I read in some places that its locked to 75% in the bios of the GPU, but I'm not 100% sure.

Posted 03/26/2012 12:49 AM   
[quote name='james9120' date='25 March 2012 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1332722996' post='1387880']
[/quote]

Yeah, it would be nice if every system BIOS had total fan control, some do more or less. Anyway, I can think of 3 quick ways to have total control over your GPU fan.

The easiest way is to use software. MSI Afterburner can do the job quite nicely and it will let you set profiles based on temperature and duty cycle. It's primarily an overclocking tool but has excellent user specified fan control. [url="http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm"]Download direct from MSI here...[/url]

Next, you could tie your GPU fan into your CPU fan header. Then you should definitely have BIOS fan control, but you would only focus on the CPU fan setting/temps for control. If you set your CPU fan to 100% at 50*c, then your GPU fan will follow whatever the CPU fan is doing. This is a [b]very[/b] lack luster method and could be problematic. You'll have to know a thing or two about electricity and the circuit limits/specs, otherwise you might cause damage.

And lastly, go with a good dedicated fan controller. Or build your own with a $2.00 Radio Shack potentiometer. Fan controllers are pulse width modulated which is fine, well, it's actually very nice but it can induce electrical noise into your system. A potentiometer works on pure resistance and will only suppress noise, but it will not provide the same fine control at lower (inaudible) fan speeds. A pot could turn your fan off at it's lower setting, but a PWM controller would not.

So these are your three basic options for beating 75%, but I personally use the MSI Afterburner and love it! You don't have to overclock, you can just use it for fan control if you like. Oh, and it's free...
[quote name='james9120' date='25 March 2012 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1332722996' post='1387880']

Yeah, it would be nice if every system BIOS had total fan control, some do more or less. Anyway, I can think of 3 quick ways to have total control over your GPU fan.

The easiest way is to use software. MSI Afterburner can do the job quite nicely and it will let you set profiles based on temperature and duty cycle. It's primarily an overclocking tool but has excellent user specified fan control. Download direct from MSI here...

Next, you could tie your GPU fan into your CPU fan header. Then you should definitely have BIOS fan control, but you would only focus on the CPU fan setting/temps for control. If you set your CPU fan to 100% at 50*c, then your GPU fan will follow whatever the CPU fan is doing. This is a very lack luster method and could be problematic. You'll have to know a thing or two about electricity and the circuit limits/specs, otherwise you might cause damage.

And lastly, go with a good dedicated fan controller. Or build your own with a $2.00 Radio Shack potentiometer. Fan controllers are pulse width modulated which is fine, well, it's actually very nice but it can induce electrical noise into your system. A potentiometer works on pure resistance and will only suppress noise, but it will not provide the same fine control at lower (inaudible) fan speeds. A pot could turn your fan off at it's lower setting, but a PWM controller would not.

So these are your three basic options for beating 75%, but I personally use the MSI Afterburner and love it! You don't have to overclock, you can just use it for fan control if you like. Oh, and it's free...

Posted 03/26/2012 04:09 PM   
you can use nibitor to modify the BIOS of your card. there is a max fan speed setting. ([url=http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1961/nibitor2.jpg]pic[/url])
you can use nibitor to modify the BIOS of your card. there is a max fan speed setting. (pic)
Posted 03/26/2012 09:30 PM   
[quote name='bsh' date='26 March 2012 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1332797427' post='1388238']
you can use nibitor to modify the BIOS of your card. there is a max fan speed setting. ([img=http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1961/nibitor2.jpg]pic[/img])
[/quote]

Typically I stay away from software add-on's as much as possible, since history has shown more issues created then were solved by the addition of such. But in this case, software does make the most sense for quick and easy. Especially if/when you have a vendor you can trust!

This is what I can do with a mouse click, using something I trust below:

Coming from low to high speed fan.

[img]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6801/fanhightolow.jpg[/img]

As you all can see, I'm achieving 4080 RPM's which I would trust given the amount of noise the fan creates at those speeds. But I did not manually verify using an external tachometer. So I cannot say for absolute certain what speed equals 100% or maximum speed of the stock fan. But I can say no matter what I do or how I overclock, I never exceed 50*c on my Asus GTX 550.
[quote name='bsh' date='26 March 2012 - 04:30 PM' timestamp='1332797427' post='1388238']

you can use nibitor to modify the BIOS of your card. there is a max fan speed setting. ([img=http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1961/nibitor2.jpg]pic[/img])

Typically I stay away from software add-on's as much as possible, since history has shown more issues created then were solved by the addition of such. But in this case, software does make the most sense for quick and easy. Especially if/when you have a vendor you can trust!

As you all can see, I'm achieving 4080 RPM's which I would trust given the amount of noise the fan creates at those speeds. But I did not manually verify using an external tachometer. So I cannot say for absolute certain what speed equals 100% or maximum speed of the stock fan. But I can say no matter what I do or how I overclock, I never exceed 50*c on my Asus GTX 550.

Posted 03/26/2012 10:35 PM   
[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1332778153' post='1388112']

The easiest way is to use software. MSI Afterburner can do the job quite nicely and it will let you set profiles based on temperature and duty cycle. It's primarily an overclocking tool but has excellent user specified fan control. [url="http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm"]Download direct from MSI here...[/url]

Next, you could tie your GPU fan into your CPU fan header. Then you should definitely have BIOS fan control, but you would only focus on the CPU fan setting/temps for control. If you set your CPU fan to 100% at 50*c, then your GPU fan will follow whatever the CPU fan is doing. This is a [b]very[/b] lack luster method and could be problematic. You'll have to know a thing or two about electricity and the circuit limits/specs, otherwise you might cause damage.

[/quote]

[quote name='bsh' date='26 March 2012 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1332797427' post='1388238']
[/quote]

[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1332801319' post='1388275']

[img]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6801/fanhightolow.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

Thanks guys. I tried using MSI already, that's what I used to overclock the card. But the fan settings is maxed at 75%.
[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136/bubblebuddyi/Capture.png[/IMG]

I will look more into nibitor.
[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 12:09 PM' timestamp='1332778153' post='1388112']

The easiest way is to use software. MSI Afterburner can do the job quite nicely and it will let you set profiles based on temperature and duty cycle. It's primarily an overclocking tool but has excellent user specified fan control. Download direct from MSI here...

Next, you could tie your GPU fan into your CPU fan header. Then you should definitely have BIOS fan control, but you would only focus on the CPU fan setting/temps for control. If you set your CPU fan to 100% at 50*c, then your GPU fan will follow whatever the CPU fan is doing. This is a very lack luster method and could be problematic. You'll have to know a thing or two about electricity and the circuit limits/specs, otherwise you might cause damage.

[quote name='bsh' date='26 March 2012 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1332797427' post='1388238']

[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1332801319' post='1388275']

Thanks guys. I tried using MSI already, that's what I used to overclock the card. But the fan settings is maxed at 75%.

I will look more into nibitor.

Posted 03/26/2012 11:09 PM   
How do you know matter of fact that you have only 75% of 100%? What specifically are your trying to do beside control your system manually? I'm just curious because it seems like sounds like maybe something above average.
How do you know matter of fact that you have only 75% of 100%? What specifically are your trying to do beside control your system manually? I'm just curious because it seems like sounds like maybe something above average.

Posted 03/27/2012 12:37 AM   
[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1332808624' post='1388320']
[/quote]
What do you mean about 75%? The fan speed in MSI maxes out at 75%, which is 3600RPM's. But I am overclocking, try to achieve that little boost from running 100% while playing high end games such as Battlefield 3. My PC case is cooling-challenged, so I can easily reach temps of 80c+ but limited to only 75% fan speed.
[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1332808624' post='1388320']

What do you mean about 75%? The fan speed in MSI maxes out at 75%, which is 3600RPM's. But I am overclocking, try to achieve that little boost from running 100% while playing high end games such as Battlefield 3. My PC case is cooling-challenged, so I can easily reach temps of 80c+ but limited to only 75% fan speed.

Posted 03/27/2012 12:54 AM   
even with msi afterburner your graphics card bios will only allow 75% fan speed max as both my GTX 580's will only allow 85% max fan speed.
so unless you mess with the cards bios (which i refuse too) then your stuck with 75% max fan speed.
and your card has only nvidia on it as it must have been a card installed in a pre-built system such as dell, alienware, cyberpower, etc. as they buy bulk reference cards from one manufacturer. my cards i bought from pny so even gpu-z shows pny as i built my own system.
even with msi afterburner your graphics card bios will only allow 75% fan speed max as both my GTX 580's will only allow 85% max fan speed.

so unless you mess with the cards bios (which i refuse too) then your stuck with 75% max fan speed.

and your card has only nvidia on it as it must have been a card installed in a pre-built system such as dell, alienware, cyberpower, etc. as they buy bulk reference cards from one manufacturer. my cards i bought from pny so even gpu-z shows pny as i built my own system.

Corsair C70 case, ASUS Sabertooth X58,Intel i7 970 6 core cpu, 24gigs Avant memory, PNY GTX 680 4GB, Corsair AX1200 psu with sleeved cables, Sound Blaster Z, 2 LG Blu-Ray, 2 Crucial M500 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 500GB HDD, 1 Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB HDD, Microsoft SideWinder X4 keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse, Xbox 360 controller, Logitech 5.1 speakers, LG 27" IPS LED monitor, 3 Noctua 120mm fans, 2 Noctua 140mm fans, 1 Noctua 92mm fan, Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO cpu cooler. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. GPU has a small overclock by me.

Posted 03/27/2012 01:43 AM   
[quote name='BERRRR' date='26 March 2012 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1332812634' post='1388342']
[/quote]
I found out what the card is, it's straight from NVIDIA sold at bestbuy only, apparently rare.
[quote name='BERRRR' date='26 March 2012 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1332812634' post='1388342']

I found out what the card is, it's straight from NVIDIA sold at bestbuy only, apparently rare.

Posted 03/27/2012 01:51 AM   
[quote name='james9120' date='26 March 2012 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1332809688' post='1388325']
[/quote]

I mean quite specifically speaking: How do you "know" that you are currently 75% of 100% maximum fan speed? But as you can see in the pic I provided, I can go to 4080 RPM's, so why are you seemingly limited to 3600? We have different cards yes, but do we have different fans as well?
[quote name='james9120' date='26 March 2012 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1332809688' post='1388325']

I mean quite specifically speaking: How do you "know" that you are currently 75% of 100% maximum fan speed? But as you can see in the pic I provided, I can go to 4080 RPM's, so why are you seemingly limited to 3600? We have different cards yes, but do we have different fans as well?

Posted 03/27/2012 02:01 AM   
[quote name='james9120' date='26 March 2012 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1332813101' post='1388345']
[/quote]

Pull the card and run the numbers in white stamped on the board or on the white tag. Then you'll know the manufacturer. It's not made by BestBuy nor exclusive! Made by whom is just a point of curiosity.
[quote name='james9120' date='26 March 2012 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1332813101' post='1388345']

Pull the card and run the numbers in white stamped on the board or on the white tag. Then you'll know the manufacturer. It's not made by BestBuy nor exclusive! Made by whom is just a point of curiosity.

Posted 03/27/2012 02:06 AM   
[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1332813712' post='1388353']
[/quote]
I think I understand what you're saying, so because MSI says 75%, it could really be 100%? I just assumed it was only running at 75% because I did a search and came accross other manufactures that have a bios tweak that allows the fans to run at 100% as the highest, and 30% as the lowest. They are also 560's as well.
[quote name='t3t4' date='26 March 2012 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1332813712' post='1388353']

I think I understand what you're saying, so because MSI says 75%, it could really be 100%? I just assumed it was only running at 75% because I did a search and came accross other manufactures that have a bios tweak that allows the fans to run at 100% as the highest, and 30% as the lowest. They are also 560's as well.

Posted 03/27/2012 02:26 AM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top