PC Gaming Too Expensive ... Which Console to Get?
  1 / 3    
Welcome all the gamers

I just beat Syndicate, Darkness 2, Kingdoms of Amular,Mass Effect 3 but with all the recent events happening
I just feel that PC gaming is becoming way too expensive to afford games like Prototype 2, Max Payne 3, GTA V, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Darksiders 2.
that totals up to $300 spent on games, that take 7 hours to beat.

So I was just thinking at this point of just buying a console and a gamefly subscription, so I all you pay is $15/mo and you get to play unlimited games.
I was leaning towards PS3, obviously because it has free online play (I definitely don't want to add another monthly fee to gamefly sub), blueray and browser over xbox any thoughts?
Welcome all the gamers

I just beat Syndicate, Darkness 2, Kingdoms of Amular,Mass Effect 3 but with all the recent events happening

I just feel that PC gaming is becoming way too expensive to afford games like Prototype 2, Max Payne 3, GTA V, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Darksiders 2.

that totals up to $300 spent on games, that take 7 hours to beat.

So I was just thinking at this point of just buying a console and a gamefly subscription, so I all you pay is $15/mo and you get to play unlimited games.

I was leaning towards PS3, obviously because it has free online play (I definitely don't want to add another monthly fee to gamefly sub), blueray and browser over xbox any thoughts?

CPU i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard Asrock Fatal1ty Z68
RAM 2 x 8GB G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 @ 2133MHz
GPU EVGA 480 + Zotac 480
Hard Drive 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max iops
Sound Card Realtek
Power Supply 1220W KingWin Mach 1
Case Coolermaster HAF - X
CPU cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight
GPU cooling Stock
OS Windows 7 x64 Professional
Monitor 3 x Acer GD235HZ 120Hz 2ms

Posted 03/25/2012 02:39 AM   
I like the PS3 myself, but you really can't go wrong with either system now. The 360 used to be highly unreliable, but the current systems are stable due to manufacturing improvements (the CPU and GPU are now combined onto the same die!).

The PS3 has always been reliable. I think the earlier PS3 systems are actually better though. My PS3 has full backwards compatibility, four USB ports, a CF/SD/MS reader, and a nice piano black finish with a chrome trim. The current PS3 systems don't have these features (except for limited PS1 compatibility).
I like the PS3 myself, but you really can't go wrong with either system now. The 360 used to be highly unreliable, but the current systems are stable due to manufacturing improvements (the CPU and GPU are now combined onto the same die!).

The PS3 has always been reliable. I think the earlier PS3 systems are actually better though. My PS3 has full backwards compatibility, four USB ports, a CF/SD/MS reader, and a nice piano black finish with a chrome trim. The current PS3 systems don't have these features (except for limited PS1 compatibility).

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 03/25/2012 05:20 AM   
You do realize Gamefly offers PC Gaming too... right? /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

Also, you can resell some games after using them, only issue comes about with the annoying networks of Steam & Origin, where it's registered to your account.
You do realize Gamefly offers PC Gaming too... right? /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

Also, you can resell some games after using them, only issue comes about with the annoying networks of Steam & Origin, where it's registered to your account.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/25/2012 07:29 AM   
[i]PC gaming hardware is expensive, I completely agree there. Especially to stay in the competitive hardware front.

Console games are generally more expensive than PC titles however, and services such as Steam offer some new titles only a month after release at more than 50% decrease in of the original launch price. Not to mention bundle deals that aren't normally offered elsewhere. Food for thought.

I am with Slam that the PS3 is the next best thing from the PC. Far more options, and the benefit of Blu-Ray capability. Also PS3 has Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica Studios as exclusive developers...two teams that I am a huge fan of. I just wish they would develop for the PC[/i]

-Hooks
PC gaming hardware is expensive, I completely agree there. Especially to stay in the competitive hardware front.

Console games are generally more expensive than PC titles however, and services such as Steam offer some new titles only a month after release at more than 50% decrease in of the original launch price. Not to mention bundle deals that aren't normally offered elsewhere. Food for thought.

I am with Slam that the PS3 is the next best thing from the PC. Far more options, and the benefit of Blu-Ray capability. Also PS3 has Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica Studios as exclusive developers...two teams that I am a huge fan of. I just wish they would develop for the PC

-Hooks

QUOTE (The Professor @ Oct 31 2010, 04:59 AM)

*Jeremy Clarkson face*

So we must hand it over to our tame PC tweaker. Some say he sticky tapes a block of uranium to his dinner before eating it and that he sucks moisture out of ducks. All we know is, he's called Hooks.

"Eye of the Storm" Window Mod Tutorial <> "Inside Crysis 2" <> Top Tier Water-Blocks 2011 <> SSD Unlimited Storage Tutorial

Posted 03/25/2012 12:10 PM   
[quote name='Righthooks' date='25 March 2012 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1332677456' post='1387637']
[i]PC gaming hardware is expensive, I completely agree there. Especially to stay in the competitive hardware front.

I am with Slam that the PS3 is the next best thing from the PC. Far more options, and the benefit of Blu-Ray capability. Also PS3 has Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica Studios as exclusive developers...two teams that I am a huge fan of. I just wish they would develop for the PC[/i]

-Hooks
[/quote]

I have no idea whats up with italics, were you quoting someone anyways so what's the point waiting a month and then you would still be on the hook for $150 even if they are 50% off, but with a gamefly all you do is pay $15/mo and you can play unlimited games on release, it's a far better deal.
[quote name='Righthooks' date='25 March 2012 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1332677456' post='1387637']

PC gaming hardware is expensive, I completely agree there. Especially to stay in the competitive hardware front.

I am with Slam that the PS3 is the next best thing from the PC. Far more options, and the benefit of Blu-Ray capability. Also PS3 has Naughty Dog, and Santa Monica Studios as exclusive developers...two teams that I am a huge fan of. I just wish they would develop for the PC

-Hooks

I have no idea whats up with italics, were you quoting someone anyways so what's the point waiting a month and then you would still be on the hook for $150 even if they are 50% off, but with a gamefly all you do is pay $15/mo and you can play unlimited games on release, it's a far better deal.

CPU i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
GPU EVGA 480 + Zotac 480
Sound Card Realtek
GPU cooling Stock

Posted 03/26/2012 12:49 AM   
Steam sales can save you alot of money, and sometimes the cheap indie games can keep you playing far longer than AAA blockbuster games. I have 106 hours in Terraria for example.. /pinch.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pinch:' />

I own a 360 and a PS3 though and play the exclusives on both
Steam sales can save you alot of money, and sometimes the cheap indie games can keep you playing far longer than AAA blockbuster games. I have 106 hours in Terraria for example.. /pinch.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pinch:' />

I own a 360 and a PS3 though and play the exclusives on both

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 03/28/2012 06:44 PM   
Get a Wii /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />
Get a Wii /rofl.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rofl:' />

In Memory of Chris "ChrisRay" Arthington, 1982-2010
I'm a ninja. Not a pirate.

Posted 03/28/2012 07:02 PM   
[quote name='MW2' date='25 March 2012 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1332722976' post='1387879']
[/quote]

Roflcopter at the italics comment... :D

As I said which you seem to have missed... Gamefly supports PC gaming now. So your argument of PC Gaming being too expensive, game-cost wise, is officially stupid /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
[quote name='MW2' date='25 March 2012 - 06:49 PM' timestamp='1332722976' post='1387879']

Roflcopter at the italics comment... :D

As I said which you seem to have missed... Gamefly supports PC gaming now. So your argument of PC Gaming being too expensive, game-cost wise, is officially stupid /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/29/2012 07:41 AM   
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='29 March 2012 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1333006917' post='1389413']
[/quote]

Do they have any presence outside of the US?
[quote name='Honey Badger' date='29 March 2012 - 08:41 AM' timestamp='1333006917' post='1389413']

Do they have any presence outside of the US?

EP45-DS3P; Q9650 @4.1GHz + H50 Cooler; 4G Corsair XMS2; 500G HDD; LG Blu-Ray/DVD; EVGA GTX 670 FTW; EVGA GTX480 SC (PhysX); Akasa Powermax 850W; Packard Bell Maestro 243DL (1920x1080); Win 8 Pro 64 bit

Posted 03/29/2012 10:47 AM   
let see at my house we own two PS3, one Wii, a Game Cube, Three PC's $$$$...

Gaming in general is expensive :) but I never buy PC games as they just come out. Not willing to spend $60 one game when it will drop, especially on PC, within 6 months.

Anyway, I just purchased Deus EX human revolution for $8 on steam and glad I did not spend more. I did not really like the way the gameplay is.

If you are willing to wait then Steam is the best. Last Christmas sale was crazy. The also have a summer sale, weekend deals, etc...
let see at my house we own two PS3, one Wii, a Game Cube, Three PC's $$$$...

Gaming in general is expensive :) but I never buy PC games as they just come out. Not willing to spend $60 one game when it will drop, especially on PC, within 6 months.

Anyway, I just purchased Deus EX human revolution for $8 on steam and glad I did not spend more. I did not really like the way the gameplay is.

If you are willing to wait then Steam is the best. Last Christmas sale was crazy. The also have a summer sale, weekend deals, etc...

Posted 03/29/2012 12:34 PM   
gamefly does not let you rent PC games you are only given the option to either purchase them for a price or unlimited pc play which is just a bunch of old outdated titles that no one cares about
gamefly does not let you rent PC games you are only given the option to either purchase them for a price or unlimited pc play which is just a bunch of old outdated titles that no one cares about

CPU i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
GPU EVGA 480 + Zotac 480
Sound Card Realtek
GPU cooling Stock

Posted 03/29/2012 01:09 PM   
LOL, Gamefly definitely does not rent PC games. No one does, for obvious reasons.

PC gaming is definitely more expensive, especially on the hardware side. That said, PC's still offer a better experience than the consoles. It's just unfortunate that PC gamers have to wait for patches before they can play the new releases in all their glory. I never buy games on launch day anymore.
LOL, Gamefly definitely does not rent PC games. No one does, for obvious reasons.

PC gaming is definitely more expensive, especially on the hardware side. That said, PC's still offer a better experience than the consoles. It's just unfortunate that PC gamers have to wait for patches before they can play the new releases in all their glory. I never buy games on launch day anymore.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 03/30/2012 07:26 PM   
Whats the framerate like on consoles? I was just playing Prototype on my 120Hz projector and my 2600K struggles to barely maintain 60 fps
when there are 10 helicopers shooting at you and all the cars explode simultaneously.

Wouldn't this game basically become a slideshow on a PS3 which uses ancient 7800GTX and some outdated pos cpu?
Whats the framerate like on consoles? I was just playing Prototype on my 120Hz projector and my 2600K struggles to barely maintain 60 fps

when there are 10 helicopers shooting at you and all the cars explode simultaneously.

Wouldn't this game basically become a slideshow on a PS3 which uses ancient 7800GTX and some outdated pos cpu?

CPU i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
GPU EVGA 480 + Zotac 480
Sound Card Realtek
GPU cooling Stock

Posted 04/02/2012 03:10 AM   
I have a good gamerig, ps3 and 360. While the pc is by far the best. I do always find myself using the 360 over the ps3 for gaming on the couch.
It feels like the 360 is just better setup for gaming. but you do need a subscription where you dont on the ps3
I have a good gamerig, ps3 and 360. While the pc is by far the best. I do always find myself using the 360 over the ps3 for gaming on the couch.

It feels like the 360 is just better setup for gaming. but you do need a subscription where you dont on the ps3

intel 3960x @4.1Ghz

3 x 680 2gb water cooled

3 x 42inch fullhd @6080x1080

32 gigs gskill XMP @2133

win 7 64bit

Posted 04/02/2012 08:09 AM   
PC Gaming might have a bigger price tag, but imho there is a simple point in economics that applies. "The better the quality item, the higher the price". Computer games offer so much more than a console could ever offer. I actually find it frustrating to go on my ps3 and play a game because the graphics are horrible compared to the pc version. Yes the hardware is more expensive for a pc but if you buy good gear, it will allow to run games at a high quality and have the games playable with good fps. Plus this used to SLI forums (at least it was when I joined) but adding a second card can usually keep you up to par with running pc games for a couple of years. That has been my experience at least.

In total, pc gaming is not for timid, but it certainly pays off for me in my opinion and I certainly do not have a lot of disposable cash to blow on a gaming system, but following what a few people have said, like buying games on sale on Steam or just not buying the game when it first comes out, helps you save some money and not get dragged into the hype of a hot new title that in truth may not always be that hot.

Good luck to you if you do ultimately decide to go to just the console to play games. If you can do it and enjoy it, I say more to ya. Personally, I could never do it.
PC Gaming might have a bigger price tag, but imho there is a simple point in economics that applies. "The better the quality item, the higher the price". Computer games offer so much more than a console could ever offer. I actually find it frustrating to go on my ps3 and play a game because the graphics are horrible compared to the pc version. Yes the hardware is more expensive for a pc but if you buy good gear, it will allow to run games at a high quality and have the games playable with good fps. Plus this used to SLI forums (at least it was when I joined) but adding a second card can usually keep you up to par with running pc games for a couple of years. That has been my experience at least.

In total, pc gaming is not for timid, but it certainly pays off for me in my opinion and I certainly do not have a lot of disposable cash to blow on a gaming system, but following what a few people have said, like buying games on sale on Steam or just not buying the game when it first comes out, helps you save some money and not get dragged into the hype of a hot new title that in truth may not always be that hot.

Good luck to you if you do ultimately decide to go to just the console to play games. If you can do it and enjoy it, I say more to ya. Personally, I could never do it.

CPU - Intel i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 2133
Audio - Onboard Asus
Mobo - ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67
Video - EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Video Card - 2560MB SLI
Power - Thermaltake 850W
Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
Monitor - Samsung 27"
Keyboard - Razer Lycosa HeadPhones - Razer Carcharias Gaming Headset
Mouse - Logitech Performance MX
Case - Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower
OS - Windows 8.1, 64 bit Pro