Kepler Multi-Display Details? They're a bit vague.
  1 / 3    
After searching around for a while now and reading more than a few reviews, there is very little information on the multi-display functionality provided by the new GeForce GTX 680. It is clear that it can run 3 screens in surround plus an additional display, however nowhere does it mention whether or not the 4 displays can be run independently of each other, operating as individual displays of (possibly) differing resolutions and refresh rates.

In addition to that, it hasn't been mentioned if the exact procedure for enabling/disabling a surround resolution (rather tedious at the best of times) has been streamlined or if profiles are now available for different monitor setups/layouts.
After searching around for a while now and reading more than a few reviews, there is very little information on the multi-display functionality provided by the new GeForce GTX 680. It is clear that it can run 3 screens in surround plus an additional display, however nowhere does it mention whether or not the 4 displays can be run independently of each other, operating as individual displays of (possibly) differing resolutions and refresh rates.

In addition to that, it hasn't been mentioned if the exact procedure for enabling/disabling a surround resolution (rather tedious at the best of times) has been streamlined or if profiles are now available for different monitor setups/layouts.

Posted 03/23/2012 05:48 AM   
Do not take this answer as final, because I have not found a verified source, nor do I have the GPU.

I would say no, it is not possible to have 4 active independent displays from the one GPU.

The following screenshot is the only evidence I have of it this - it is missing the 'activate all displays' section of the NVCP

[img]http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/articles/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround/NVCPL-ConfigureSurround-CompleteProcess.png[/img]

The 4x displays from one GPU in the 'Surround + 1' config still follows the old nvidia rule of 2 screens per GPU - because technically the 'spanned' display is only 'one' screen, its just shown over 3 displays.
Do not take this answer as final, because I have not found a verified source, nor do I have the GPU.

I would say no, it is not possible to have 4 active independent displays from the one GPU.

The following screenshot is the only evidence I have of it this - it is missing the 'activate all displays' section of the NVCP

The 4x displays from one GPU in the 'Surround + 1' config still follows the old nvidia rule of 2 screens per GPU - because technically the 'spanned' display is only 'one' screen, its just shown over 3 displays.
Well if that's the case it makes my life easier (ASUS HD7970-DC2T on the way, multi-display functionality being the deal breaker), appreciate the fast response.
Only thing I noticed from your screenshot is the 'Resolutions' button in the Surround setup window, haven't seen that before so be interested to know it's purpose.
Well if that's the case it makes my life easier (ASUS HD7970-DC2T on the way, multi-display functionality being the deal breaker), appreciate the fast response.

Only thing I noticed from your screenshot is the 'Resolutions' button in the Surround setup window, haven't seen that before so be interested to know it's purpose.

Posted 03/23/2012 06:18 AM   
Based on the guru3d review it looks like you can do this...
[quote]Using up-to 4 displays

We just had a quick chat about 3D Vision surround but Kepler goes beyond three monitors. You can connect four monitors, use three for gaming and setup one top side (3+1) monitor to check your email or something desktop related.[/quote]

[url="http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-review/5"]Posted here[/url]

I get my GTX 680's today, so I'll let you know how the new multi-screen management is.
Based on the guru3d review it looks like you can do this...

Using up-to 4 displays

We just had a quick chat about 3D Vision surround but Kepler goes beyond three monitors. You can connect four monitors, use three for gaming and setup one top side (3+1) monitor to check your email or something desktop related.

Posted here

I get my GTX 680's today, so I'll let you know how the new multi-screen management is.

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930k @ 4.8ghz
Cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull config 4x120mm
RAM: 32GB(8x4) GeIL EVO Corsa 2400mhz (PC3 19200)
GPUs: 3x GTX 680 2GB 3 Way SLI
Main Displays: 24" Dell U2410 IPS Ultrasharp and 2x 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC Ultrasharps (6040x1200 2D surround)
Accessory Display: 21.5" Asus VS229H-P IPS 1920x1080
HDs: OS: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD; Games: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD; Apps: 128GB Crucial M225 SSD; Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Posted 03/23/2012 09:14 AM   
It should be like any other windows multimon setup. You can probably pick one to be your main and then select any of the 4 as secondary displays. Just like windows multi-mon with two or three displays. The surround option just lets windows see three of the displays as one large display. So, expect to be able to run windows programs on all 4 displays but render full screen on only one or three if they are surround.
It should be like any other windows multimon setup. You can probably pick one to be your main and then select any of the 4 as secondary displays. Just like windows multi-mon with two or three displays. The surround option just lets windows see three of the displays as one large display. So, expect to be able to run windows programs on all 4 displays but render full screen on only one or three if they are surround.

Posted 03/23/2012 02:44 PM   
I've scoured for info on this as well. I specifically would like to know if I can run a game in surround with all three monitors set at different resolutions.

Not ideal I know, but still would help with some "peripheral" vision.
I've scoured for info on this as well. I specifically would like to know if I can run a game in surround with all three monitors set at different resolutions.

Posted 03/24/2012 12:44 AM   
[quote name='Geodyn' date='23 March 2012 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1332549887' post='1387100']

[/quote]
The one unavoidable requirement for Surround is that all three monitors have the same resolution, refresh rate and sync polarity. More than just "not ideal", your intended goal is unsupported as well...
[quote name='Geodyn' date='23 March 2012 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1332549887' post='1387100']

The one unavoidable requirement for Surround is that all three monitors have the same resolution, refresh rate and sync polarity. More than just "not ideal", your intended goal is unsupported as well...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 03/24/2012 01:09 AM   
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for similar support as eyefinity 2. I will probably still go with this nVidia card to avoid mixing an AMD card with the nVidia 560 already in my case, and for the huge performance gap on battlefield 3, but it's unfortunate that the nvidia680 won't support multiple resolutions like the AMD7970.

However, I might sleep on it for a few weeks and see if I can stomach the lower performing 7970 for 50$ more to get eyefinity 2.

Can't have my cake and eat it too when AMD/nVidia is involved. :(
Thanks for the info. I was hoping for similar support as eyefinity 2. I will probably still go with this nVidia card to avoid mixing an AMD card with the nVidia 560 already in my case, and for the huge performance gap on battlefield 3, but it's unfortunate that the nvidia680 won't support multiple resolutions like the AMD7970.

However, I might sleep on it for a few weeks and see if I can stomach the lower performing 7970 for 50$ more to get eyefinity 2.

Can't have my cake and eat it too when AMD/nVidia is involved. :(

Posted 03/24/2012 01:25 AM   
The Geforce GTX 680 can support up to 4 display in Windows Extended Desktop mode. In 2D Surround and 3D Surround, the three monitors have to be running in the same screen resolution.
The Geforce GTX 680 can support up to 4 display in Windows Extended Desktop mode. In 2D Surround and 3D Surround, the three monitors have to be running in the same screen resolution.

Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread or leave a driver feedback: Driver Feedback

Posted 03/24/2012 01:32 AM   
[quote name='ManuelG' date='24 March 2012 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1332552745' post='1387113']
[/quote]

That still remains a rather cryptic response, can the 4 displays can be run simultaneously, operating as individual displays of differing resolutions and/or refresh rates.

For example, if all screens are running separately to each other, maximise functionality remains 'correct', not spanning a window across multiple monitors without the need for additional software (the solution for surround resolutions).

Would love to hear back from Tyrdstorm (or anyone else with first hand experience with this) as it seems his cards arrived already :).
[quote name='ManuelG' date='24 March 2012 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1332552745' post='1387113']

That still remains a rather cryptic response, can the 4 displays can be run simultaneously, operating as individual displays of differing resolutions and/or refresh rates.

For example, if all screens are running separately to each other, maximise functionality remains 'correct', not spanning a window across multiple monitors without the need for additional software (the solution for surround resolutions).

Would love to hear back from Tyrdstorm (or anyone else with first hand experience with this) as it seems his cards arrived already :).

Posted 03/24/2012 09:02 AM   
Simple Google search turned up results saying yes, it can and is easily done without Surround involved, to drive 4 monitors independently at their own resolutions. Realize this though, that will likely A: make the card run at full speed clocks all the time, like current cards do with 2 monitors plugged in a lot of the time. B: I'm unsure of if the 4th monitor's Display Port plugin will need additional power ala Eyefinity when you go past 3 monitors per card (from what I understand) does need additional power of somesort... I'm unclear on how that works as I've never tried it myself on either brand.
Simple Google search turned up results saying yes, it can and is easily done without Surround involved, to drive 4 monitors independently at their own resolutions. Realize this though, that will likely A: make the card run at full speed clocks all the time, like current cards do with 2 monitors plugged in a lot of the time. B: I'm unsure of if the 4th monitor's Display Port plugin will need additional power ala Eyefinity when you go past 3 monitors per card (from what I understand) does need additional power of somesort... I'm unclear on how that works as I've never tried it myself on either brand.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/24/2012 09:25 AM   
[quote name='Crysto' date='24 March 2012 - 05:02 AM' timestamp='1332579739' post='1387212']
That still remains a rather cryptic response, can the 4 displays can be run simultaneously, operating as individual displays of differing resolutions and/or refresh rates...

...Would love to hear back from Tyrdstorm (or anyone else with first hand experience with this) as it seems his cards arrived already[/quote]
Perhaps the terms are unfamiliar to you?

ManuelG answered your question directly and succinctly. [i]Try looking up "[b]Windows Extended Desktop[/b][/i]"...
[quote name='Crysto' date='24 March 2012 - 05:02 AM' timestamp='1332579739' post='1387212']

That still remains a rather cryptic response, can the 4 displays can be run simultaneously, operating as individual displays of differing resolutions and/or refresh rates...

...Would love to hear back from Tyrdstorm (or anyone else with first hand experience with this) as it seems his cards arrived already

ManuelG answered your question directly and succinctly. Try looking up "Windows Extended Desktop"...

Intel Siler DX79SI Desktop Extreme | Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-Extreme | DangerDen M6 and Koolance MVR-40s w/Black Ice Stealths | 32 GB Mushkin PC3-12800LV | NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti SLI | PNY GTX 470 | 24 GB RAMDisk (C:\Temp\Temp) | 120 GB Intel Cherryville SSDs (OS and UserData)| 530 GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 2 RAID0 (C:\Games\) | 60 GB G2 SSDs (XP Pro and Linux) | 3 TB Western Digital USB-3 MyBook (Archive) | LG BP40NS20 USB ODD | LG IPS236 Monitor | LogiTech X-530 Speakers | Plantronics GameCom 780 Headphones | Cooler Master UCP 1100 | Cooler Master HAF XB | Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

Stock is Extreme now

Posted 03/24/2012 09:27 AM   
[quote name='jaafaman' date='24 March 2012 - 03:27 AM' timestamp='1332581241' post='1387218']

ManuelG answered your question directly and succinctly. [i]Try looking up "[b]Windows Extended Desktop[/b][/i]"...
[/quote]

Manuel sometimes forgets using big words can confuse newer/less computer-literate users. /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> It's okay though, we can help translate. lol
[quote name='jaafaman' date='24 March 2012 - 03:27 AM' timestamp='1332581241' post='1387218']

ManuelG answered your question directly and succinctly. Try looking up "Windows Extended Desktop"...

Manuel sometimes forgets using big words can confuse newer/less computer-literate users. /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> It's okay though, we can help translate. lol

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/24/2012 09:43 AM   
When spanning it creates one big desktop 5760x1200 across the three monitors. They have to be the same resolution as it creates one single screen. It looks like they've been putting a lot of work into making it better for normal desktop applications in this mode, but they still have a little work to do. Normal programs seem to work fine and you can maximize them onto each "virtual" display. Some custom programs such as Photoshop don't seem to handle it as well and still maximize across all three displays. The start menu being restricted to one screen was a nice touch, but you lose the ability to auto-hide it which I prefer. Still, I can get over the loss of auto-hide since this is much improved from previously having to span the start menu across all three.

When you run a fourth screen however, it is completely independent form the three spanned monitors and works just like normal extended desktops as seen below:
[img]http://bryceapps.com/Files/Junk/ExtendedDesktop.jpg[/img]

I would however still like some more explanation about this screen:
[img]http://bryceapps.com/Files/Junk/AdjustDesktop.jpg[/img]

I did have Aspect ratio selected and I was having a lot of video crashes... but I'm not sure if it was related or not. I was having a lot of stability issues at first, but now it seems they've worked themselves out. Not sure what fixed it though. Anyway, hope this helps a little, feel free to ask any specific questions if this isn't the answer that you needed.
When spanning it creates one big desktop 5760x1200 across the three monitors. They have to be the same resolution as it creates one single screen. It looks like they've been putting a lot of work into making it better for normal desktop applications in this mode, but they still have a little work to do. Normal programs seem to work fine and you can maximize them onto each "virtual" display. Some custom programs such as Photoshop don't seem to handle it as well and still maximize across all three displays. The start menu being restricted to one screen was a nice touch, but you lose the ability to auto-hide it which I prefer. Still, I can get over the loss of auto-hide since this is much improved from previously having to span the start menu across all three.

When you run a fourth screen however, it is completely independent form the three spanned monitors and works just like normal extended desktops as seen below:

I would however still like some more explanation about this screen:

I did have Aspect ratio selected and I was having a lot of video crashes... but I'm not sure if it was related or not. I was having a lot of stability issues at first, but now it seems they've worked themselves out. Not sure what fixed it though. Anyway, hope this helps a little, feel free to ask any specific questions if this isn't the answer that you needed.

Main Displays: 24" Dell U2410 IPS Ultrasharp and 2x 24" Dell 2407WFP-HC Ultrasharps (6040x1200 2D surround)
HDs: OS: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD; Games: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD; Apps: 128GB Crucial M225 SSD; Storage: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1

Posted 03/24/2012 01:17 PM   
On a side note, Activate all displays is definitely still there. You just have to have two cards installed to see the option:
[img]http://bryceapps.com/Files/Junk/Configure.jpg[/img]
On a side note, Activate all displays is definitely still there. You just have to have two cards installed to see the option:

Posted 03/24/2012 01:22 PM   
  1 / 3    
Scroll To Top