BFG 7950GT card with 8800GT drivers already installed.
I have been running a Geforce 8800GT for several years and yesterday it decided to give up the ghost. After determining that the card was toast, I dug up my previous video card - a BFG 7950GT PCI-E.

I installed the card, booted the machine (Windows XP SP3) and proceeded to install the original drivers (93.71) and restarted. Everything came up fine and the display is excellent. Now, the question is this:

I had been playing Skyrim with my 8800GT and over time had installed all the current drivers which are all still located in my Nvidia folder on the C: drive. Right now, DX 9c is installed and working correctly however I still have Physx System Software, Nvidia nTune, nView, and Nvidia update elements from my 8800 installed as well as the old driver that is powering the 7950 at the moment.

The reason I did not uninstall these elements when I put in the 7950 is because when I was having problems with my failing 8800, I tried to roll back from the 296.10 driver set to the previous 295.73 drivers but in the process something buggered and I was not able to uninstall everything nor was I able to reinstall 295.73 [u]or[/u] 296.10 from new downloaded packages; so I was stuck with some blend of junk and one half of a screen display. You may be familiar with the problem "Access has been denied" when installing Nvidia drivers, well, that's the one I experienced so when I put in the 7950, I just didn't want to take chances with the old driver not being allowed or fail to install because I tried to remove all the 8800's software.

So, can I now install the 296.10 over top of what I have and expect that all elements will be associated with the 7950 WITHOUT having to uninstall several of those same elements first? In other words, I want to download the 296.10 package, click it and hope to see it install the new drivers to the 7950 and connect all the other elements so that I can use them.

I suspect that when I first booted with the 7950, if I had searched for a driver (In my Nvidia Folder) I could have successfully installed the new drivers etc in one go and bypass using the old cd to install but as I said, I was afraid of some glitch happening and I need this machine working.
I have been running a Geforce 8800GT for several years and yesterday it decided to give up the ghost. After determining that the card was toast, I dug up my previous video card - a BFG 7950GT PCI-E.

I installed the card, booted the machine (Windows XP SP3) and proceeded to install the original drivers (93.71) and restarted. Everything came up fine and the display is excellent. Now, the question is this:

I had been playing Skyrim with my 8800GT and over time had installed all the current drivers which are all still located in my Nvidia folder on the C: drive. Right now, DX 9c is installed and working correctly however I still have Physx System Software, Nvidia nTune, nView, and Nvidia update elements from my 8800 installed as well as the old driver that is powering the 7950 at the moment.

The reason I did not uninstall these elements when I put in the 7950 is because when I was having problems with my failing 8800, I tried to roll back from the 296.10 driver set to the previous 295.73 drivers but in the process something buggered and I was not able to uninstall everything nor was I able to reinstall 295.73 or 296.10 from new downloaded packages; so I was stuck with some blend of junk and one half of a screen display. You may be familiar with the problem "Access has been denied" when installing Nvidia drivers, well, that's the one I experienced so when I put in the 7950, I just didn't want to take chances with the old driver not being allowed or fail to install because I tried to remove all the 8800's software.

So, can I now install the 296.10 over top of what I have and expect that all elements will be associated with the 7950 WITHOUT having to uninstall several of those same elements first? In other words, I want to download the 296.10 package, click it and hope to see it install the new drivers to the 7950 and connect all the other elements so that I can use them.

I suspect that when I first booted with the 7950, if I had searched for a driver (In my Nvidia Folder) I could have successfully installed the new drivers etc in one go and bypass using the old cd to install but as I said, I was afraid of some glitch happening and I need this machine working.

Posted 03/18/2012 03:49 AM   
OK, for those who have the same question I posted, here is what I finally did.

I simply installed the entire 295.73 package overtop of the existing driver that came with the 7950GT. The installer overwrote the display driver, installed nTune and updated my Nvidia control panel.

Rebooted

Perfect.
OK, for those who have the same question I posted, here is what I finally did.

I simply installed the entire 295.73 package overtop of the existing driver that came with the 7950GT. The installer overwrote the display driver, installed nTune and updated my Nvidia control panel.

Rebooted

Perfect.

Posted 03/18/2012 04:44 PM   
Scroll To Top