OC GTX 480 - Voltage Differences
Hello everyone,

I have already overclocked my GTX 480 to a stable 800MHz core/1950MHz memory without software voltage at all. Now I want to take my GPUs a little further so I went to increase my GPU voltage with EVGA precision and I saw that one of my 480s has a voltage of 1.000 and the other has a voltage of 1.063. Is there a reason for this?

I am wondering then should I just increase my other GTX 480 to 1.063 so they match? Will I be able to overclock more in that event? and also what would be a good, safe voltage for the GTX 480s? I am not trying to break world records here, I just want more performance when I need it with stability and decent heat levels.

Thanks.
Hello everyone,

I have already overclocked my GTX 480 to a stable 800MHz core/1950MHz memory without software voltage at all. Now I want to take my GPUs a little further so I went to increase my GPU voltage with EVGA precision and I saw that one of my 480s has a voltage of 1.000 and the other has a voltage of 1.063. Is there a reason for this?

I am wondering then should I just increase my other GTX 480 to 1.063 so they match? Will I be able to overclock more in that event? and also what would be a good, safe voltage for the GTX 480s? I am not trying to break world records here, I just want more performance when I need it with stability and decent heat levels.

Thanks.

Cpu: Intel i7 3930K @ 5GHz
Cooler: Corsair H100
Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
Ram: GSkill 16GB Quad DDR3 @ 2050Mhz
GPU: 2 Nvidia EVGA GTX 670's FTW in SLI
Monitor: Asus VG278H + Nvidia 3D Vision 2
HD: 2 OCZ Vertex 4 SSDs in Raid 0
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II
PSU: Pc Power And Cooling Silencer MK II 950W

Helix Mod 3D Vision Fixes

Posted 03/14/2012 07:18 PM   
Hi. The voltage differs on most cards, this is a pretty normal thing. You can download GPU-Z and check ASIC quality. The lover ASIC number, the higher voltage it will use. Here's my example:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/SklCh.png[/img]

ASIC quality is pretty low for this card and by default it uses 1.025V. As for overclocking, i had to use 1.075V to achieve truly stable 880MHz on core. But this will differ on every card, you have to test each of them. As for "safe" voltage, i'd say just don't go over 1.1V and you'll be fine, these cards really loves some volts at high clocks /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Obviously, if you have a good cooling.
Hi. The voltage differs on most cards, this is a pretty normal thing. You can download GPU-Z and check ASIC quality. The lover ASIC number, the higher voltage it will use. Here's my example:

ASIC quality is pretty low for this card and by default it uses 1.025V. As for overclocking, i had to use 1.075V to achieve truly stable 880MHz on core. But this will differ on every card, you have to test each of them. As for "safe" voltage, i'd say just don't go over 1.1V and you'll be fine, these cards really loves some volts at high clocks /wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> Obviously, if you have a good cooling.

AMD Phenom II x4 965 @3.6GHz | 8GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 | Asus M4A79T Deluxe (BIOS v.3503)
Asus GTX670DCII (default clocks) | Zalman 850W PSU | Windows 7 x64 SP1

Posted 03/25/2012 11:29 AM   
It's BIOS difference versions I would say. eVGA frequently updates BIOSes to improve stability & OC performance. If you bump the other card to 1.063V it may allow you to OC both of them further since that card is likely currently holding you back at 1.000V.

Just keep an eye on those temps & only do small bumps in voltage at a time, testing each (no greater than .025V at a time would be my suggestion). I did that on my old 580s & managed to get 900MHz stable at just 1.1V, which for 580s is semi-impressive for a set of 4 to run all the same speed & voltage.
It's BIOS difference versions I would say. eVGA frequently updates BIOSes to improve stability & OC performance. If you bump the other card to 1.063V it may allow you to OC both of them further since that card is likely currently holding you back at 1.000V.

Just keep an eye on those temps & only do small bumps in voltage at a time, testing each (no greater than .025V at a time would be my suggestion). I did that on my old 580s & managed to get 900MHz stable at just 1.1V, which for 580s is semi-impressive for a set of 4 to run all the same speed & voltage.

Help fight Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's Disease by donating unused CPU and GPU power to Stanford University's Research Folding@Home projects:

Simplest method is to setup the FAH v7 client with this Windows Installation Guide

Posted 03/25/2012 02:13 PM   
Didn't know about that ASIC quality tool in GPU-Z... Pretty cool little thing.
Scroll To Top