Dual monitor problem with GeForce 8400 GS
Hello -

I have been trying to get my dual monitor setup to work for a few days now, but I am running out of ideas. Any help on troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is the following: PCI-Express GeForce 8400 GS with DMS59 output, 2xDVI breakout cable, two DVI->VGA adapters and two analog LCD monitors connected via VGA cables. I am running the latest (296.10) drivers under a newly installed Windows-XP (SP3).

The second display will not display a picture. It is detected correctly and shows up in the configuration panels but the monitor remains in powersave mode as if no signal was ever sent.

Three more observations:

1. I have ruled out a hardware problem by switching monitors and switching DVI->VGA adapters. The effect always remains the same - display 1 works and display 2 shows up but does not display a picture.

2. I have run the same configuration with Linux/Ubuntu and the dual monitor setup worked fine, exactly as expected.

3. I am observing that in the configuration utility in the task bar, display 1 shows up as "Display 1 - Analog" and the other one as "Display 2 - Digital". They are both VGA LCD panels so maybe that is a hint that something is wrong - but I have no idea how to make them both show up as analog.

Any help appreciated!
Hello -

I have been trying to get my dual monitor setup to work for a few days now, but I am running out of ideas. Any help on troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

My setup is the following: PCI-Express GeForce 8400 GS with DMS59 output, 2xDVI breakout cable, two DVI->VGA adapters and two analog LCD monitors connected via VGA cables. I am running the latest (296.10) drivers under a newly installed Windows-XP (SP3).

The second display will not display a picture. It is detected correctly and shows up in the configuration panels but the monitor remains in powersave mode as if no signal was ever sent.

Three more observations:

1. I have ruled out a hardware problem by switching monitors and switching DVI->VGA adapters. The effect always remains the same - display 1 works and display 2 shows up but does not display a picture.

2. I have run the same configuration with Linux/Ubuntu and the dual monitor setup worked fine, exactly as expected.

3. I am observing that in the configuration utility in the task bar, display 1 shows up as "Display 1 - Analog" and the other one as "Display 2 - Digital". They are both VGA LCD panels so maybe that is a hint that something is wrong - but I have no idea how to make them both show up as analog.

Any help appreciated!

Posted 03/14/2012 04:00 PM   
I assume this is due to the multiple conectors being used and the computer unable to get the correct EDID info, you are already using a DVI splitter cable which for all intensive purposes are not supported by our reference designs and are only made by some of our board partners.

Attaching the DVI to VGA adaptors on top of a DVI splitter, is most likely causing this issue. I would try and find a DVI to VGA splitter.
I assume this is due to the multiple conectors being used and the computer unable to get the correct EDID info, you are already using a DVI splitter cable which for all intensive purposes are not supported by our reference designs and are only made by some of our board partners.

Attaching the DVI to VGA adaptors on top of a DVI splitter, is most likely causing this issue. I would try and find a DVI to VGA splitter.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Test rig::P9X79::i7-3820: Gskills 8gb::EVGA GTX 670SC SLI
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of NVIDIA
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 03/16/2012 09:49 PM   
Yes! You are perfectly right. I got a dms59->dual vga breakout cable and that fixed it.

I am guessing that Linux is supporting plug-and-play differently than Windows XP, or maybe only partially, and therefore the problem did not surface with Ubuntu.

Thanks for your help!!
Yes! You are perfectly right. I got a dms59->dual vga breakout cable and that fixed it.

I am guessing that Linux is supporting plug-and-play differently than Windows XP, or maybe only partially, and therefore the problem did not surface with Ubuntu.

Thanks for your help!!

Posted 03/17/2012 04:49 AM   
[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='16 March 2012 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1331934561' post='1383927']

[/quote]

I have the indentical problem as posted above; however, I am using a DVI adaptor - no splitter. My system recognizes Monitor one and two, and I can move the cursor from Monitor one to two, but two has a black screen. No way to get it to turn on. It worked fine prior to the latest MS update. No one seems to have a fix for this. MS hasn't been helpful, other than to recommend reading about using dual monitors in Win 7. This problem is far beyond the basics. Thanks for any help.
[quote name='Josh@NVIDIA' date='16 March 2012 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1331934561' post='1383927']

I have the indentical problem as posted above; however, I am using a DVI adaptor - no splitter. My system recognizes Monitor one and two, and I can move the cursor from Monitor one to two, but two has a black screen. No way to get it to turn on. It worked fine prior to the latest MS update. No one seems to have a fix for this. MS hasn't been helpful, other than to recommend reading about using dual monitors in Win 7. This problem is far beyond the basics. Thanks for any help.

Posted 03/20/2012 06:53 PM   
What is displayed in the NVIDIA Control Panel as far as monitors being attached?

Windows 7 should automatically enable any monitor connected, though if the monitors are older it may be trying to use a default resolution that has an incompatible refresh rate for the 2nd monitor and failing to display.
What is displayed in the NVIDIA Control Panel as far as monitors being attached?

Windows 7 should automatically enable any monitor connected, though if the monitors are older it may be trying to use a default resolution that has an incompatible refresh rate for the 2nd monitor and failing to display.

Home::Asus P8Z68 Deluxe::i7 2600k::16g Corsair Vengeance::Samsung 830 120gb SSD(OS)::GTX 690/GTX650Ti Physx :Asus AE247H x3 Surround.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread, I sometimes forget to check all of the many ones I reply to.
Email Support:::Beta & Archived Driver Search:::Browser TDR Survey:::Promo Code Tips

Posted 03/21/2012 12:38 AM   
Josh, I also have a slightly diferent dual monitor porblem. I'm runing Vista, home premium service pack 2. I have a GeForce 8400 GS and just updated to driver pack 296.10. Previously have been runing dual displays with old VGA cables to two LCD monitors and have had no problems. However I just recently accuired a new Dynex HD TV.
My question, is it possible to have the main diplay VGA to the old monitor then extend the desktop onto the TV via S-Vedeo? The adaptor that came with my 8400 only has S-Video and VGA ports out. When I try to detect dipays, both the monitor and TV are found but will only show the diplay currently set as #1. Either will work, just never both at the same time. Any thoughts or addvice?

Thanks, Mark

PS: side note and might be nothing but as soon as I think I might have it, they both cut out and only the VGA comes back with a small tool tip saying "This GPU supports 1 display" next to the mouse pointer¿
Josh, I also have a slightly diferent dual monitor porblem. I'm runing Vista, home premium service pack 2. I have a GeForce 8400 GS and just updated to driver pack 296.10. Previously have been runing dual displays with old VGA cables to two LCD monitors and have had no problems. However I just recently accuired a new Dynex HD TV.

My question, is it possible to have the main diplay VGA to the old monitor then extend the desktop onto the TV via S-Vedeo? The adaptor that came with my 8400 only has S-Video and VGA ports out. When I try to detect dipays, both the monitor and TV are found but will only show the diplay currently set as #1. Either will work, just never both at the same time. Any thoughts or addvice?

Thanks, Mark

PS: side note and might be nothing but as soon as I think I might have it, they both cut out and only the VGA comes back with a small tool tip saying "This GPU supports 1 display" next to the mouse pointer¿

Posted 03/21/2012 03:12 AM   
[quote name='XxSpectralxX' date='20 March 2012 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1332299535' post='1385627']

Thanks, Mark

[/quote]

All of our cards support 2 displays so not sure where that tool tip is coming from. I would first try a driver older than 296.10, something like 275.33.

Its tough to trouble shoot some of the older cards with S-video out as our drivers progressed over the years with S-video being phased out completely there have been a few issues here and there with our newer drivers as they are released.

If you revert to 275.33 and everything works, I would leave it at that for awhile, also be sure to try the "Rigorous display detection" In the "Set up multiple displays" section of the NVIDIA Control Panel, select "My display is not shown" and see if that helps.
[quote name='XxSpectralxX' date='20 March 2012 - 08:12 PM' timestamp='1332299535' post='1385627']

Thanks, Mark

All of our cards support 2 displays so not sure where that tool tip is coming from. I would first try a driver older than 296.10, something like 275.33.

Its tough to trouble shoot some of the older cards with S-video out as our drivers progressed over the years with S-video being phased out completely there have been a few issues here and there with our newer drivers as they are released.

If you revert to 275.33 and everything works, I would leave it at that for awhile, also be sure to try the "Rigorous display detection" In the "Set up multiple displays" section of the NVIDIA Control Panel, select "My display is not shown" and see if that helps.

Posted 03/21/2012 06:25 PM   
Hello. I am new to the forums (In fact, joined just so I could post on this thread)

For the past two days, I have been trying to get my duel monitor function working. I am using a VGA to DVI adapter for my secondary monitor, but its not working. It doesn't matter which monitor I plug into the DVI port, none of them work.

My OS is Windows XP pro with service pack 3.
Any help you could lend would be great. (Also, my second monitor isn't showing up at all. I'm going to try to get the drivers for it installed and see if that makes a difference)

Edit: apparently, the monitor I have doesn't need drivers. Its a plug and play.
Hello. I am new to the forums (In fact, joined just so I could post on this thread)

For the past two days, I have been trying to get my duel monitor function working. I am using a VGA to DVI adapter for my secondary monitor, but its not working. It doesn't matter which monitor I plug into the DVI port, none of them work.

My OS is Windows XP pro with service pack 3.

Any help you could lend would be great. (Also, my second monitor isn't showing up at all. I'm going to try to get the drivers for it installed and see if that makes a difference)

Edit: apparently, the monitor I have doesn't need drivers. Its a plug and play.

Posted 04/04/2012 01:14 AM   
I have this exact same issue as of 1 hour ago...

My PC BSOD'd due to a failure in nv4_disp.dll, so I decided it was time to upgrade to the latest drivers. The previous version which worked fine with 2 displays was:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/16/2012 13:44:36

[Display]
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4700 @ 2.60GHz (2595 MHz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
DirectX version: 9.0c
GPU processor: GeForce 8400 GS
ForceWare version: 162.18
Memory: 512 MB
Video BIOS version: 60.86.4e.00.00
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16

[Components]

nvCplUIR.dll 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCpl.cpl 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet
nvExpBar.dll 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Video and TV Server
nvDispSR.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Media Center Library
NVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD
nvDispS.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Display Server
NVCPL.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 162.18
NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport Driver, Version 162.18
NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 162.18
nvGameSR.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

And the new version after upgrading is:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/16/2012 15:40:27

[Display]
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, 32-bit (Service Pack 3)
DirectX version: 9.0
Driver version: 296.10
DirectX support: 10
CUDA Cores: 16
Core clock: 459 MHz
Shader clock: 918 MHz
Memory clock: 400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 64-bit
Memory type: DDR2
Video BIOS version: 60.86.4E.00.00

[Components]

easyDaemonAPIU.DLL 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
WLMerger.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
daemonu.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
ComUpdatus.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
NvUpdtr.dll 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
NvUpdt.dll 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components
NVCPL.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Windows Display driver, Version 296.10
nvCplUIR.dll 4.3.790.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe 4.3.790.0 NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Video Server
nvMoblSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Mobile Server
nvMoblS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Mobile Server
nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Media Center Library
NVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD
nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Display Server
NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 296.10
NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 296.10
PhysX 09.12.0213 NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA CUDA 4.1.1 driver
nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

The 2nd monitor - which is connected via DVI - just refuses to turn on, before the upgrade there were no issues! Both monitors are functional but the DVI output refuses to take the monitor out of "Power Saving" / "Standby".

I tried the suggestions here for "Rigorous display detection" but it is not detecting any displays.

I'm going to roll back to an earlier version of the drivers but this is really frustrating and a waste of time.
Will try keep everybody posted
I have this exact same issue as of 1 hour ago...

My PC BSOD'd due to a failure in nv4_disp.dll, so I decided it was time to upgrade to the latest drivers. The previous version which worked fine with 2 displays was:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/16/2012 13:44:36

[Display]

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4700 @ 2.60GHz (2595 MHz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

DirectX version: 9.0c

ForceWare version: 162.18

Video BIOS version: 60.86.4e.00.00

[Components]

nvCplUIR.dll 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCpl.cpl 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet

nvExpBar.dll 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCplUI.exe 1.4.13.09 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Video and TV Server

nvViTvS.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Video and TV Server

nvDispSR.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Display Server

NVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Media Center Library

NVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD

nvDispS.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Display Server

NVCPL.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 162.18

NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Miniport Driver, Version 162.18

NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 162.18

nvGameSR.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

nvGameS.dll 6.14.11.6218 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

And the new version after upgrading is:

NVIDIA System Information report created on: 05/16/2012 15:40:27

[Display]

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, 32-bit (Service Pack 3)

DirectX version: 9.0

Driver version: 296.10

DirectX support: 10

CUDA Cores: 16

Core clock: 459 MHz

Shader clock: 918 MHz

Memory clock: 400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)

Memory interface: 64-bit

Memory type: DDR2

Video BIOS version: 60.86.4E.00.00

[Components]

easyDaemonAPIU.DLL 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components

WLMerger.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components

daemonu.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components

ComUpdatus.exe 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NvUpdtr.dll 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NvUpdt.dll 1.7.11.0 NVIDIA Update Components

NVCPL.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Windows Display driver, Version 296.10

nvCplUIR.dll 4.3.790.0 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCplUI.exe 4.3.790.0 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Workstation Server

nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Video Server

nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Video Server

nvMoblSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Mobile Server

nvMoblS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Mobile Server

nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Display Server

NVMCTRAY.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Media Center Library

NVOGLNT.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD

nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Display Server

NV4_MINI.SYS 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Windows XP Miniport Driver, Version 296.10

NV4_DISP.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 296.10

PhysX 09.12.0213 NVIDIA PhysX

NVCUDA.DLL 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA CUDA 4.1.1 driver

nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.9610 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

The 2nd monitor - which is connected via DVI - just refuses to turn on, before the upgrade there were no issues! Both monitors are functional but the DVI output refuses to take the monitor out of "Power Saving" / "Standby".

I tried the suggestions here for "Rigorous display detection" but it is not detecting any displays.

I'm going to roll back to an earlier version of the drivers but this is really frustrating and a waste of time.

Will try keep everybody posted

Posted 05/16/2012 01:48 PM   
I have this exact same issue as "undercoverMunky", with my GeForce 9600 GT, but the same driver.

I have used 2 displays for a while with a several years old driver and it have been woking fine until I updated the driver to 301.42. Now my secondary monitor (which is connected via a VGA to DVI adapter) refuses to turn on after "Power Saving" / "Standby".

As soon as I change display resolution on my secondary monitor or set my secondary monitor as main, it turns on and I can change the settings back again.
It is really frustrating, as i have to do this every time. /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

It would be nice if anyone have a solution for this /mellow.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' />
I have this exact same issue as "undercoverMunky", with my GeForce 9600 GT, but the same driver.

I have used 2 displays for a while with a several years old driver and it have been woking fine until I updated the driver to 301.42. Now my secondary monitor (which is connected via a VGA to DVI adapter) refuses to turn on after "Power Saving" / "Standby".

As soon as I change display resolution on my secondary monitor or set my secondary monitor as main, it turns on and I can change the settings back again.

It is really frustrating, as i have to do this every time. /wallbash.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wallbash:' />

It would be nice if anyone have a solution for this /mellow.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' />

Posted 06/17/2012 01:44 PM   
Hi!
I have a system running under Windows 7 64 bit and GeForce 8400 GS. The first monitor is DVI, the second is VGA.
The dual monitor was fine, untill I upgraded to Windows 7. Now it starts on windows on two screens, but after going off sleep mode or screen saver it does not recognize the DVI monitor and switches to the VGA only.
Hi!

I have a system running under Windows 7 64 bit and GeForce 8400 GS. The first monitor is DVI, the second is VGA.

The dual monitor was fine, untill I upgraded to Windows 7. Now it starts on windows on two screens, but after going off sleep mode or screen saver it does not recognize the DVI monitor and switches to the VGA only.

Posted 06/23/2012 08:31 PM   
[quote name='Sel81' date='17 June 2012 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1339940678' post='1422376']

[/quote]

@Sel81

Not sure if this will help you at all but the only way I could "fix" the issue was by rolling back the drivers using system restore. I tried at least 6 driver versions higher than my original version but not a single one worked.

Further to the above, I borrowed a DVI monitor from a friend to see if that would fix the issue and the weirdest thing happened... the monitor worked but the screen was zoomed in and when I moved the mouse around it would pan across the desktop!
The Nvidia Settings were showing the display as 1280x1024 but the monitor was actually receiving 1024x768. I tried for at least an hour to fix the issue and eventually gave up.

These drivers have some serious compatibility issues
[quote name='Sel81' date='17 June 2012 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1339940678' post='1422376']

@Sel81

Not sure if this will help you at all but the only way I could "fix" the issue was by rolling back the drivers using system restore. I tried at least 6 driver versions higher than my original version but not a single one worked.

Further to the above, I borrowed a DVI monitor from a friend to see if that would fix the issue and the weirdest thing happened... the monitor worked but the screen was zoomed in and when I moved the mouse around it would pan across the desktop!

The Nvidia Settings were showing the display as 1280x1024 but the monitor was actually receiving 1024x768. I tried for at least an hour to fix the issue and eventually gave up.

These drivers have some serious compatibility issues

Posted 06/25/2012 11:30 AM   
Hi!
I remember fixing this issue in the past by disabling a certain service in Windows 7.
Hi!

I remember fixing this issue in the past by disabling a certain service in Windows 7.

Posted 06/26/2012 07:28 AM   
I have recently Installed Geforce 8400GS 256MB card. I need dual display in Windows 7. Card is detecting both displays. 1-Viewsonic 17" and 2. LG 32 LCD but not showing both on same time. It shows one at a time. When i connect both the DVI connector not giving output but if i connect only DVI and remove cable from VGA it start giving me signals. Also when i start the PC and both cables are connected it shows only windows 7 log and then blank the both screens. No display on any screen. Please help. thanks
I have recently Installed Geforce 8400GS 256MB card. I need dual display in Windows 7. Card is detecting both displays. 1-Viewsonic 17" and 2. LG 32 LCD but not showing both on same time. It shows one at a time. When i connect both the DVI connector not giving output but if i connect only DVI and remove cable from VGA it start giving me signals. Also when i start the PC and both cables are connected it shows only windows 7 log and then blank the both screens. No display on any screen. Please help.
thanks

Posted 03/03/2014 01:24 PM   
Scroll To Top