RAID0 stripe size
Hey guys, long time user, first time RAID-er.

Ordered 3 more SSD's (all 3 are 256 gb corsair extreme series. a bit dated I know, but for ~200 a piece I wasn't going to argue) today with the intent to RAID! This is my first time so wish me luck, and advice, if you please. They're not the fastest SSD's in the world but i'm sure will be a huge step up from even v-raptors, especially in a RAID setup.

I'm not planning on any mass server usage or anything like that. Maybe a game server every now and again but not going out of my way for performance in that aspect. I am, however, looking to get the most performance possible out of my daily dose of gaming usage. I've read that the 'average' stripe size is 64kb. Soooo... with my primary use being gaming, web, movies, music, etc, would I be best off going with the 64 or taking it up to 128 or the highest I can take it? I've read that smaller stripes are best for server applications or other high-frequency, smaller changes to files, where as larger stripes are better for high performance. I'm sure this is a major over-simplification, but for my understanding right now it's good enough for me. I can't wait til thursday when my 768gb of SSD goodness arrive on my doorstep! :D

Thanks for reading
Hey guys, long time user, first time RAID-er.

Ordered 3 more SSD's (all 3 are 256 gb corsair extreme series. a bit dated I know, but for ~200 a piece I wasn't going to argue) today with the intent to RAID! This is my first time so wish me luck, and advice, if you please. They're not the fastest SSD's in the world but i'm sure will be a huge step up from even v-raptors, especially in a RAID setup.

I'm not planning on any mass server usage or anything like that. Maybe a game server every now and again but not going out of my way for performance in that aspect. I am, however, looking to get the most performance possible out of my daily dose of gaming usage. I've read that the 'average' stripe size is 64kb. Soooo... with my primary use being gaming, web, movies, music, etc, would I be best off going with the 64 or taking it up to 128 or the highest I can take it? I've read that smaller stripes are best for server applications or other high-frequency, smaller changes to files, where as larger stripes are better for high performance. I'm sure this is a major over-simplification, but for my understanding right now it's good enough for me. I can't wait til thursday when my 768gb of SSD goodness arrive on my doorstep! :D

Thanks for reading

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t Thuban BE with Corsair H110 Liquid Cooler(@3.9ghz)
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD516gb
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333
3x MSI Geforce GTX 660ti OC edition
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium powering Logitech z-5300e 5.1 THX Surround & Creative Fatal1ty Pro headset
1000w Rosewill Bronze PSU
3x Corsair x256 (256gb*3) SATA II SSD in RAID0 through mobo
Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm
Lian Li Lancool K58 Dragon Lord case
NZXT Sentry-2 Fan Controller
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit
3dmark11 P12226 Ice: 25637 Cloud: 14996 Fire: 9099

Posted 03/14/2012 02:58 AM   
Array - Raid 0 Raid 5 Raid 10
SATA disks 128 KB 64 KB 64 KB
Solid-state drives 16 KB 128 KB 16 KB

Hope this helps , good luck .