Silent Stream bug. Still.
So, 2012. The future! Sadly the HDMI Silent Stream bug is still in full effect using the latest Win 8 CP drivers on my GTX580. I've had to once again faff around, moreso than before thanks to working out how to reliably load winamp on startup quietly under Win8 CP, to get 5.1 or 7.1 to be considered useable.

How is this still going on? Currently doing the winamp stealth load is causing moderate issues with some Metro apps (notably Cut the Rope) and I'm guessing it was never an optimal solution/workaround.

I want to get the next Nvidia card; I've run through a 8800GTS, GTX280, GTX285, GTX480 SLI, GTX580 SLI, GTX580 Classified SLI in my home theatre PC alone. I help a lot of people build studio PCs and I expect to be doing a lot of HTPCs this year. Unfortunately for those I really may have to start looking over at AMD because the silent stream thing is UNACCEPTABLE.

Please. Fix. It. Talk to Microsoft. Do something. Seriously, this has been going on for quite literally years.

CDJay
So, 2012. The future! Sadly the HDMI Silent Stream bug is still in full effect using the latest Win 8 CP drivers on my GTX580. I've had to once again faff around, moreso than before thanks to working out how to reliably load winamp on startup quietly under Win8 CP, to get 5.1 or 7.1 to be considered useable.

How is this still going on? Currently doing the winamp stealth load is causing moderate issues with some Metro apps (notably Cut the Rope) and I'm guessing it was never an optimal solution/workaround.

I want to get the next Nvidia card; I've run through a 8800GTS, GTX280, GTX285, GTX480 SLI, GTX580 SLI, GTX580 Classified SLI in my home theatre PC alone. I help a lot of people build studio PCs and I expect to be doing a lot of HTPCs this year. Unfortunately for those I really may have to start looking over at AMD because the silent stream thing is UNACCEPTABLE.

Please. Fix. It. Talk to Microsoft. Do something. Seriously, this has been going on for quite literally years.

CDJay

Posted 03/12/2012 04:58 PM   
This nvidia. Shape up. This bug has been around for way too long and it's really annoying. Please fix it. I am myself considering changing over to the red team solely because of this issue. I have 2x GTX 570 and I was considering getting the new GTX 680 in SLI or even the GTX 690. But considering that this bug is still existing and there has been no attempt from you guys to fix it I don't think I can buy another nvidia product.

THIS REQUIRES AN IMMEDIATE FIX.
This nvidia. Shape up. This bug has been around for way too long and it's really annoying. Please fix it. I am myself considering changing over to the red team solely because of this issue. I have 2x GTX 570 and I was considering getting the new GTX 680 in SLI or even the GTX 690. But considering that this bug is still existing and there has been no attempt from you guys to fix it I don't think I can buy another nvidia product.

THIS REQUIRES AN IMMEDIATE FIX.

Posted 04/25/2012 12:30 PM   
I wrote a program just over a year ago which helps with the silent stream bug by playing a silent PCM sound to force your receiver to stay in PCM mode except when something requests exclusive access (bitstream). I've just released a new version for 2012, available here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21950581#post21950581

direct link to the file is: http://www.mediafire.com/?i1subo5x3ygs95m but if you want to keep up to date then keep an eye on that thread.
I wrote a program just over a year ago which helps with the silent stream bug by playing a silent PCM sound to force your receiver to stay in PCM mode except when something requests exclusive access (bitstream). I've just released a new version for 2012, available here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21950581#post21950581

direct link to the file is: http://www.mediafire.com/?i1subo5x3ygs95m but if you want to keep up to date then keep an eye on that thread.

Posted 04/25/2012 08:36 PM   
Please Nvidia Fix it. Please! AMD also had the bug, but already fixed it a long time ago. short description of bug: 1. [b] [u] [i] When Nvidia sends no audio signal - it's not correct [/i] [/u] [/b]. It causes re-detection in reciever of input stream parameters, when signal appers and it cuts a part of sound (audio delay) 2. [b] [u] [i] Nvidia must always send audio signal [/i] [/u] [/b]: either actual sound or silent stream (sequence of zero bits with the same parameters as last played sound). Like AMD does (as I understand) MarcD2K11 - thanks for program, but unfortunately it doesn't help with bitstream (wasapi/exclusive)
Please Nvidia Fix it. Please! AMD also had the bug, but already fixed it a long time ago.

short description of bug:

1. When Nvidia sends no audio signal - it's not correct . It causes re-detection in reciever of input stream parameters, when signal appers and it cuts a part of sound (audio delay)

2. Nvidia must always send audio signal : either actual sound or silent stream (sequence of zero bits with the same parameters as last played sound). Like AMD does (as I understand)

MarcD2K11 - thanks for program, but unfortunately it doesn't help with bitstream (wasapi/exclusive)

Posted 11/30/2012 11:02 AM   
Seems like on GeForce 600 Series problem is 50% solved (at least on my GT 640) 1)When audio is Stereo 2.0 , the bug is there, sound interrupts/cuts/delays as always. 2)When Multichannel (4.0 or 5.1 etc) - sound does not interrupts! Seamless, No Bug! I've no idea why multychannel works perfect and stereo is not. What is reason of it? Hope Nvidia fix it for stereo as well. To clarify, on Older cards (I also have GTX570) bug is present on both stereo and multichannel sound. Also what i noticed, sound cuts on gt640 is about 2 times shorten than gtx570 (let's say 1 sec vs 2 secs) ps. sorry for my english
Seems like on GeForce 600 Series problem is 50% solved (at least on my GT 640)
1)When audio is Stereo 2.0 , the bug is there, sound interrupts/cuts/delays as always.
2)When Multichannel (4.0 or 5.1 etc) - sound does not interrupts! Seamless, No Bug!

I've no idea why multychannel works perfect and stereo is not. What is reason of it?
Hope Nvidia fix it for stereo as well.

To clarify, on Older cards (I also have GTX570) bug is present on both stereo and multichannel sound.
Also what i noticed, sound cuts on gt640 is about 2 times shorten than gtx570 (let's say 1 sec vs 2 secs)

ps. sorry for my english

Posted 03/24/2013 01:13 PM   
Scroll To Top