Windows 8 and Metro Crashes of specific Metro applications
  1 / 2    
I installed Windows 8 CP on my brand new Thinkpad laptop. And after playing around with it, I found out, that some Metro applications are unstable.

Current state: Laptop Lenovo Think Pad T520. Both graphics drivers installed correctly from Windows Update. Intel HD Graphics - 9.17.10.2661, NVIDIA NVS 4200M - 9.18.12.9617

Symptoms: When I launch Metro application, screen starts blinking, as if Optimus tried to switch between graphics adapters. Each blink takes around 1 second. After around 5-10 blinks, the application crashes and causes me to get back to lock screen. When I login back, all my running applications are shut down.

I found out, this is only in applications, that use XAML for GUI rendering, like Maps. It doesn't happen for applications running on top of JavaScript/HTML or DirectX. When still in application, I can hover over hot corner, and blinking stops. When I hover back to application, blinking resumes. I can also safely navigate away from application and nothing crashes.
I tried solving this issue by forcing globaly specific graphics adapter in NVIDIA control panel, but without success. Disabling Intel HD adapter in device manager solves this issue, but causes OS to feel lagy and unresponsive.

I would like to know, if NVIDIA knows about this issue and if yes, when can I expect fix? I'm developer, that would love to try making XAML Metro applications, but this issue is stopping me from debuging and using such applications.

Also, is there anyone else with same or similiar issue?
I installed Windows 8 CP on my brand new Thinkpad laptop. And after playing around with it, I found out, that some Metro applications are unstable.

Current state: Laptop Lenovo Think Pad T520. Both graphics drivers installed correctly from Windows Update. Intel HD Graphics - 9.17.10.2661, NVIDIA NVS 4200M - 9.18.12.9617

Symptoms: When I launch Metro application, screen starts blinking, as if Optimus tried to switch between graphics adapters. Each blink takes around 1 second. After around 5-10 blinks, the application crashes and causes me to get back to lock screen. When I login back, all my running applications are shut down.

I found out, this is only in applications, that use XAML for GUI rendering, like Maps. It doesn't happen for applications running on top of JavaScript/HTML or DirectX. When still in application, I can hover over hot corner, and blinking stops. When I hover back to application, blinking resumes. I can also safely navigate away from application and nothing crashes.

I tried solving this issue by forcing globaly specific graphics adapter in NVIDIA control panel, but without success. Disabling Intel HD adapter in device manager solves this issue, but causes OS to feel lagy and unresponsive.

I would like to know, if NVIDIA knows about this issue and if yes, when can I expect fix? I'm developer, that would love to try making XAML Metro applications, but this issue is stopping me from debuging and using such applications.

Also, is there anyone else with same or similiar issue?

Posted 03/10/2012 07:15 AM   
I have the exact same issue after installing the graphics driver for Consumer Preview released 3 days ago.

I am surprised that Nvidia took 2 weeks after the launch of Windows CP to release it and this is what we get? Nvidia get your act together and fix this ASAP.
I have the exact same issue after installing the graphics driver for Consumer Preview released 3 days ago.

I am surprised that Nvidia took 2 weeks after the launch of Windows CP to release it and this is what we get? Nvidia get your act together and fix this ASAP.

Posted 03/16/2012 09:34 AM   
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='16 March 2012 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1331890464' post='1383666']

[/quote]

Are you seriously complaining about Nvidia not having a 100% issue free driver for an unreleased OS that still has tons of issues to be fixed? There are far more severe issues with chipset drivers doing system wide crashes, rather than a few specific app crashes.
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='16 March 2012 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1331890464' post='1383666']

Are you seriously complaining about Nvidia not having a 100% issue free driver for an unreleased OS that still has tons of issues to be fixed? There are far more severe issues with chipset drivers doing system wide crashes, rather than a few specific app crashes.

Posted 03/16/2012 11:15 AM   
There is no justification for releasing a crappy driver in the name of update, all I know is that they took time long time causing frustration yet didn't test it properly either.
There is no justification for releasing a crappy driver in the name of update, all I know is that they took time long time causing frustration yet didn't test it properly either.

Posted 03/17/2012 02:03 PM   
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='17 March 2012 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1331992984' post='1384168']
[/quote]

I'd be upset if it was a WHQL driver on a RTM OS. It isn't, so deal with it.
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='17 March 2012 - 02:03 PM' timestamp='1331992984' post='1384168']

Posted 03/17/2012 09:02 PM   
[quote name='tribaljet' date='18 March 2012 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1332018132' post='1384300']
[/quote]

Hey unless you are from Nvidia, I don't like a random dude telling me what to do, so stop it
[quote name='tribaljet' date='18 March 2012 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1332018132' post='1384300']

Hey unless you are from Nvidia, I don't like a random dude telling me what to do, so stop it

Posted 03/18/2012 09:47 AM   
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='18 March 2012 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1332064023' post='1384450']
[/quote]

When did anyone tell you what to do? If you got issues, to file a ticket with Nvidia, don't come to user forum where Nvidia doesn't do active support. But perhaps you should have read forum guidelines before coming here.

After all, there's nothing like Nvidia focusing their efforts to improve a driver for an OS used by a minority and that has no warranty of maintaining the same level of stability once it reaches RTM status, rather than improving drivers for OSes that are out and are used by millions of people.

Kids these days... /rolleyes
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='18 March 2012 - 09:47 AM' timestamp='1332064023' post='1384450']

When did anyone tell you what to do? If you got issues, to file a ticket with Nvidia, don't come to user forum where Nvidia doesn't do active support. But perhaps you should have read forum guidelines before coming here.

After all, there's nothing like Nvidia focusing their efforts to improve a driver for an OS used by a minority and that has no warranty of maintaining the same level of stability once it reaches RTM status, rather than improving drivers for OSes that are out and are used by millions of people.

Posted 03/18/2012 10:57 AM   
[quote name='tribaljet' date='18 March 2012 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1332068270' post='1384460']

[/quote]

Who are you really? Are you paid to do this to all on these forums? why don't you mind your own business and let us discuss this issue here?

for your info, I didn't start this thread someone else did I just posted my comment that I too have this issue but somehow it seems you have a personal issue with that?

If you don't have the same issue or have a fix for this problem then why dont you just leave us alone
[quote name='tribaljet' date='18 March 2012 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1332068270' post='1384460']

Who are you really? Are you paid to do this to all on these forums? why don't you mind your own business and let us discuss this issue here?

for your info, I didn't start this thread someone else did I just posted my comment that I too have this issue but somehow it seems you have a personal issue with that?

If you don't have the same issue or have a fix for this problem then why dont you just leave us alone

Posted 03/18/2012 05:40 PM   
Guys, this arguing is not beneficial to anyone, least of all the OP. Tribaljet, don't even bother posting if you have nothing useful to say. Berating other members simply because they asked for assistance is not what this forum is about.
Guys, this arguing is not beneficial to anyone, least of all the OP. Tribaljet, don't even bother posting if you have nothing useful to say. Berating other members simply because they asked for assistance is not what this forum is about.

EVGA E758 A1 X58 // Core i7 920@4Ghz // OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600 // EVGA GTX 670 SLI // Seasonic X Series Gold 1050w // Corsair 800D // Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2410 displays // Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP

Posted 03/18/2012 07:44 PM   
[quote name='slamscaper' date='18 March 2012 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1332099883' post='1384629']
[/quote]

You're right slamscaper. It's just unfortunate that some people, like zuibairdotnet, are so self entitled that they fail to realize how things should be done properly, and then come to these forums to whine fruitlessly. Unlike that person, I acknowledge the purpose of these forums and act accordingly, helping people on the way and posting solutions to problems. But unlike the OP that has a legitimate issue and asked things properly, that kid is just out of place.

zuibairdotnet, these are user forums, not Nvidia official support forums, and moderators have to keep repeating that for people like you.

There's a difference between asking for assistance and demanding immediate solutions.
[quote name='slamscaper' date='18 March 2012 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1332099883' post='1384629']

You're right slamscaper. It's just unfortunate that some people, like zuibairdotnet, are so self entitled that they fail to realize how things should be done properly, and then come to these forums to whine fruitlessly. Unlike that person, I acknowledge the purpose of these forums and act accordingly, helping people on the way and posting solutions to problems. But unlike the OP that has a legitimate issue and asked things properly, that kid is just out of place.

zuibairdotnet, these are user forums, not Nvidia official support forums, and moderators have to keep repeating that for people like you.

There's a difference between asking for assistance and demanding immediate solutions.

Posted 03/19/2012 01:01 AM   
[quote name='tribaljet' date='19 March 2012 - 05:01 AM' timestamp='1332118881' post='1384715']

[/quote]

@tribaljet You acted childish by taking it personally when I said that the new driver caused more issues then it solved. If there is a problem the original poster and others need to know.

And yes if you don't have anything useful to say then go away and 'help' others.

I am saving frustration to others who might end up in the same problem as us.

If its a faulty driver then it is, your whining to individuals can never justify that.
[quote name='tribaljet' date='19 March 2012 - 05:01 AM' timestamp='1332118881' post='1384715']

@tribaljet You acted childish by taking it personally when I said that the new driver caused more issues then it solved. If there is a problem the original poster and others need to know.

And yes if you don't have anything useful to say then go away and 'help' others.

If its a faulty driver then it is, your whining to individuals can never justify that.

Posted 03/21/2012 10:23 AM   
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='21 March 2012 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1332325397' post='1385734']

[/quote]

Are you still acting like a self entitled little kid by posting useless comments on a user forum instead of contacting Nvidia Support? lol. There are procedures to be taken, and you have shown zero proof of doing any.

You aren't saving any frustration by not posting anything helpful. Do yourself and others a favor and ask Nvidia directly. If you don't know how, follow this link: http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/app/ask/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMjM2MTIwNy9zaWQveHhQLVVGVGs%3D
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='21 March 2012 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1332325397' post='1385734']

Are you still acting like a self entitled little kid by posting useless comments on a user forum instead of contacting Nvidia Support? lol. There are procedures to be taken, and you have shown zero proof of doing any.

You aren't saving any frustration by not posting anything helpful. Do yourself and others a favor and ask Nvidia directly. If you don't know how, follow this link: http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/app/ask/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMjM2MTIwNy9zaWQveHhQLVVGVGs%3D

Posted 03/21/2012 08:20 PM   
[quote name='tribaljet' date='22 March 2012 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1332361235' post='1385927']

[/quote]

Dude all I said that I had this problem too but for some reason it hurt your ego, and after all these days thanks for finally posting this link and trying to be helpful...but you failed

FYI I have contacted Nvidia days ago after realizing that I am stuck with you here no matter how many times I come looking for a solution
[quote name='tribaljet' date='22 March 2012 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1332361235' post='1385927']

Dude all I said that I had this problem too but for some reason it hurt your ego, and after all these days thanks for finally posting this link and trying to be helpful...but you failed

FYI I have contacted Nvidia days ago after realizing that I am stuck with you here no matter how many times I come looking for a solution

Posted 03/23/2012 09:57 AM   
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='23 March 2012 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1332496665' post='1386754']

[/quote]

Wow, it must be hard to be pathetic like you. I almost feel sorry for you, but due to your attitude, no sympathies are had. You, like many other people, think that the internet is a means to act out. So try to put this in your little head, this is a Nvidia forum made for user made content and the VERY rare Nvidia support member appearance. You have issues, take it to Nvidia. If Nvidia can't fix your issue, stop acting you.

I'm done with you.
[quote name='zubairdotnet' date='23 March 2012 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1332496665' post='1386754']

Wow, it must be hard to be pathetic like you. I almost feel sorry for you, but due to your attitude, no sympathies are had. You, like many other people, think that the internet is a means to act out. So try to put this in your little head, this is a Nvidia forum made for user made content and the VERY rare Nvidia support member appearance. You have issues, take it to Nvidia. If Nvidia can't fix your issue, stop acting you.

I'm done with you.

Posted 03/23/2012 10:14 AM   
I am having exactly the same problem, Thinkpad W520 with a Quadro 2000M. Is there any workaround or fix for this yet?
I am having exactly the same problem, Thinkpad W520 with a Quadro 2000M. Is there any workaround or fix for this yet?

Posted 03/23/2012 12:01 PM   
  1 / 2    
Scroll To Top