760i DDR3 information needed!
Greetings! First post here on the forums- Hope you enjoy.

I've recieved an HP Firebird 802 unit in very poor shape- Missing many pieces.

I've rebuilt the unit up, mostly just repairing the motherboard. I have borrowed an MXM graphics card from one of my other systems, a GTX 285M.

The unit POSTs, boots, etc. I'm happy. But now I want more!

After digging over the system to overclock it, or exceed it's memory capacity (8GB DDR2 kits are far to expensive!) I've discovered 2 things:

1. There is no PLL chip, no metal-clad oscillator on the board, and all I can find is the SMBUS and a mess of VREGS and step-downs. But I did locate the controller for both memory and core voltage. Mwa haha. But does this chipset have an onboard PLL?

2. The 2 unpopulated DIMM sockets (just empty solder points....) are not DDR2, at the unit is well known to take, but are unpopulated [b]DDR3 sockets[/b]. I do plan on soldering these into place. There looks to be only a resistor or two missing from the board for full connectivity, which I'm sure I can figure out with a donor board. I am well versed in surface mount and through-hole soldering, and I keep a heat gun in my side holster.

[b]What I am asking from this lovely, Nvidia powered forum is any datasheet on the 760i SLI chipset- It's like it doesn't exist.[/b] I'd like to know how the PLL works- It's got to be there somewhere. And does the 760i support DDR3? I know the 790i does, but the 780i/750i doesn't. Is the 760i also known as the MCP79? There is plenty of information around on that, msotly Macs and laptops.
Greetings! First post here on the forums- Hope you enjoy.

I've recieved an HP Firebird 802 unit in very poor shape- Missing many pieces.

I've rebuilt the unit up, mostly just repairing the motherboard. I have borrowed an MXM graphics card from one of my other systems, a GTX 285M.

The unit POSTs, boots, etc. I'm happy. But now I want more!

After digging over the system to overclock it, or exceed it's memory capacity (8GB DDR2 kits are far to expensive!) I've discovered 2 things:

1. There is no PLL chip, no metal-clad oscillator on the board, and all I can find is the SMBUS and a mess of VREGS and step-downs. But I did locate the controller for both memory and core voltage. Mwa haha. But does this chipset have an onboard PLL?

2. The 2 unpopulated DIMM sockets (just empty solder points....) are not DDR2, at the unit is well known to take, but are unpopulated DDR3 sockets. I do plan on soldering these into place. There looks to be only a resistor or two missing from the board for full connectivity, which I'm sure I can figure out with a donor board. I am well versed in surface mount and through-hole soldering, and I keep a heat gun in my side holster.

What I am asking from this lovely, Nvidia powered forum is any datasheet on the 760i SLI chipset- It's like it doesn't exist. I'd like to know how the PLL works- It's got to be there somewhere. And does the 760i support DDR3? I know the 790i does, but the 780i/750i doesn't. Is the 760i also known as the MCP79? There is plenty of information around on that, msotly Macs and laptops.

Posted 03/09/2012 09:12 PM   
If you search the Nvidia website for "small form factor" you'll find some information on the Firebird's GeForce 9800 S GPU and the nForce 760S SLI motherboard chipset. I assume the 760S SLI chipset is more or less the same as the Firebird's 760i SLI chipset. The 760S SLI specifications list support for both DDR2 800 and DDR3 1333.

The HWiNFO64 utility lists the Firebird's motherboard chipset as MCP79/7A and the video chipset as MCP79MV.

I think it would be simpler to work on your Firebird without the GTX 285M GPU. The desktop GeForce display drivers include support for the 760i SLI motherboard GPU but not the GTX 285M GPU. When you know the motherboard is working properly you can use a modified NV_DISP.INF display information file to add the necessary entries for the GTX 285M GPU.

I'm very curious to know how a single GTX 285M GPU works in a Firebird. I think two GTX 285M's would probably work in 2-way SLI. I'm just about ready to put two GTX 560M's in one of my two Firebirds.

Good luck and wish me luck.
If you search the Nvidia website for "small form factor" you'll find some information on the Firebird's GeForce 9800 S GPU and the nForce 760S SLI motherboard chipset. I assume the 760S SLI chipset is more or less the same as the Firebird's 760i SLI chipset. The 760S SLI specifications list support for both DDR2 800 and DDR3 1333.

The HWiNFO64 utility lists the Firebird's motherboard chipset as MCP79/7A and the video chipset as MCP79MV.

I think it would be simpler to work on your Firebird without the GTX 285M GPU. The desktop GeForce display drivers include support for the 760i SLI motherboard GPU but not the GTX 285M GPU. When you know the motherboard is working properly you can use a modified NV_DISP.INF display information file to add the necessary entries for the GTX 285M GPU.

I'm very curious to know how a single GTX 285M GPU works in a Firebird. I think two GTX 285M's would probably work in 2-way SLI. I'm just about ready to put two GTX 560M's in one of my two Firebirds.

Good luck and wish me luck.

HP Firebird 802 + HP 2159m monitor + Windows 7 Home Premium + Windows 8 Pro with Media Center
2 x GeForce 9800 S dGPU in 2-way SLI + nForce 760i SLI mGPU
GeForce Display Driver 266.58 WHQL installs correctly without modification.
GeForce Display Driver 296.10 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but NVIDIA Control Panel is broken.
GeForce Display Driver 320.49 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but 2-way SLI is broken.

Posted 03/15/2012 10:09 PM   
Thanks for the reply! I will admit I'm not terribly familiar with software tools for hardware identification, beyond CPU/GPU-Z :)

I'm sure you've seen the extra, empty DIMM through-holes... Any input there?

I have the system up and running with the stock cooler modified- I broke the small little heatsink on the pump brushless controller, so I replaced it with a .6A Intel brushless controller with a 4-pin interface- Extra control :) Also, replaced all the tubing with normal PVC 1/4"ID tubes, it's nice looking IMHO and bleeding the sealed cooler (I have no reservoir) is easy with the small access port on the pump and a medical syringe.

I had my 285m in it, but that was when my memory was giving me problems, and then the driver issues you mentioned with the 760i chipset- I've since removed it, and I have a Quadro 3000m on the way, snagged cheaply on Ebay. All I need then is a larger power supply... Right now I'm running on a 150W job from an Omni 200, with an E5200 and no only the internal graphics, which I think is a 9300 mGPU, 16 cores at 450MHz.

I believe all Nvidia cards will work just fine- Many of those ATI cards have different layout on the top of the board, and I would also consider cooling the reverse of the boards with a large, thick thermal interface pad for the underside- Even though each port is rated for 75W, I would think cooling all that with the one aluminum die can't be perfectly sufficient. Maybe also adding some fins to the top of the GPU waterblock, running laterally?
Thanks for the reply! I will admit I'm not terribly familiar with software tools for hardware identification, beyond CPU/GPU-Z :)

I'm sure you've seen the extra, empty DIMM through-holes... Any input there?

I have the system up and running with the stock cooler modified- I broke the small little heatsink on the pump brushless controller, so I replaced it with a .6A Intel brushless controller with a 4-pin interface- Extra control :) Also, replaced all the tubing with normal PVC 1/4"ID tubes, it's nice looking IMHO and bleeding the sealed cooler (I have no reservoir) is easy with the small access port on the pump and a medical syringe.

I had my 285m in it, but that was when my memory was giving me problems, and then the driver issues you mentioned with the 760i chipset- I've since removed it, and I have a Quadro 3000m on the way, snagged cheaply on Ebay. All I need then is a larger power supply... Right now I'm running on a 150W job from an Omni 200, with an E5200 and no only the internal graphics, which I think is a 9300 mGPU, 16 cores at 450MHz.

I believe all Nvidia cards will work just fine- Many of those ATI cards have different layout on the top of the board, and I would also consider cooling the reverse of the boards with a large, thick thermal interface pad for the underside- Even though each port is rated for 75W, I would think cooling all that with the one aluminum die can't be perfectly sufficient. Maybe also adding some fins to the top of the GPU waterblock, running laterally?

Posted 03/17/2012 01:56 AM   
Alrighty! Just an update for all you eager subscribers (or just that one guy who replied).

My Quadro 3000m came in, was installed without a hitch- Waterblock fit like a charm, with some AS5. I think I may mill it down once I get my mill- The RAM has a <2mm gap filled with thermal goop, I'd prefer it was actually thermally attached, not just overheat protected.

On powering it up, I took my OEM 180W adapter (which had been modified by me to have the proper plug, no data pin), and the system POSTed without glitches! I was psyched.

But then, it wont boot. It can stay in DOS, but once you go into an XP installation CD, Windows 7x64 on SSD, a Windows 7 CD, Hiren's XP mode, it just stops. No error, just locks up, loss of USB.

Traced the problem square back to the adapter, somehow.

Protip: The Firebird will decline to continue if it thinks (even if it's not sure) that your power supply is insufficient.

My DDR3 sockets ( blue with black clasps, thanks Mouser! ) are on the way. I'm pretty happy with the Quadro 3000m's performace, I can do some benches if it's requested. I am running a 24-hour OCCT burn-in with error checking.
Alrighty! Just an update for all you eager subscribers (or just that one guy who replied).

My Quadro 3000m came in, was installed without a hitch- Waterblock fit like a charm, with some AS5. I think I may mill it down once I get my mill- The RAM has a <2mm gap filled with thermal goop, I'd prefer it was actually thermally attached, not just overheat protected.

On powering it up, I took my OEM 180W adapter (which had been modified by me to have the proper plug, no data pin), and the system POSTed without glitches! I was psyched.

But then, it wont boot. It can stay in DOS, but once you go into an XP installation CD, Windows 7x64 on SSD, a Windows 7 CD, Hiren's XP mode, it just stops. No error, just locks up, loss of USB.

Traced the problem square back to the adapter, somehow.

Protip: The Firebird will decline to continue if it thinks (even if it's not sure) that your power supply is insufficient.

My DDR3 sockets ( blue with black clasps, thanks Mouser! ) are on the way. I'm pretty happy with the Quadro 3000m's performace, I can do some benches if it's requested. I am running a 24-hour OCCT burn-in with error checking.

Posted 03/22/2012 06:02 PM   
Scroll To Top